Is anyone aiming for the Caribbean? Or am I just nuts? LOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aynmar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously being a nontrad with a "eh" GPA, I was just curious if anyone was thinking about going to med school on a sunny beach? I have a friend of a friend who I connected with on Facebook who is in her first year at St. George's in Granada. She loves it there.

I know there are threads about Caribbean schools, and I have seen them get pretty heated, lol, its acutally pretty entertaining. I just see that the pass rates are good, the tuition is less (= less debt) and it would be kind of cool to live some place warm and pretty for 2 years, lol, if I got the chance to go outside - ever. I do, of course, plan to apply to schools stateside, Im just leaving all options open.

Just wondering if I was crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

ME TOO!!! despite the MCAT score and the GPA, I'd really like to go to SABA. Is that crazy? I mean it's in the Carribean and it's cheaper. I'd really enjoy the sunny weather. I see some cons though, 1. clinicals 2. stereotype Any thoughts???

Obviously being a nontrad with a "eh" GPA, I was just curious if anyone was thinking about going to med school on a sunny beach? I have a friend of a friend who I connected with on Facebook who is in her first year at St. George's in Granada. She loves it there.

I know there are threads about Caribbean schools, and I have seen them get pretty heated, lol, its acutally pretty entertaining. I just see that the pass rates are good, the tuition is less (= less debt) and it would be kind of cool to live some place warm and pretty for 2 years, lol, if I got the chance to go outside - ever. I do, of course, plan to apply to schools stateside, Im just leaving all options open.

I would seriously consider this if I could, and I couldn't care less about any supposed stigma assigned to it. I'd just make sure I went to a place like St. George in Grenada. But to me it is more expense, and my spouse is not apt to go for it. It really isn't practical for me. You can have a great GPA and so forth and consider this route. Everyone just assumes it's a last resort for people and that's just not true.

Yes, you are studying and working in that sense, but what a place to study and work!!!!!!

I have nurse traveler friends that have taken assignments in some of these places. Although the hospitals are much slower and way more backward compared to the states, they all still loved their Caribbean travel assignments.

And part of what makes work and school such a PIA to me is all the commuting into the city with traffic and pollution, etc. (I think I've done it for so long now, it is starting to annoy me somewhat. I could use a break from it. But of course, at least around when I live, if you don't go into the inner city university type centers, well, your growth and ability to practice more on the cutting edge is compromised. Some of the community hospitals around here are. . .well. . .)

But the Caribbean, well, I'd think some of these places would be good places to learn, especially for the first two years--before your feet are thrown into the real fire--like in clerkships and residency.

If I could make St George's work for my life, I'd do it regardless of who else offered me a spot in their program. My feet have already been in the fire a lot in terms of working with incredibly sick patients in the busy, inner city university hospital settings. I'd take a break from that for a couple of years to knucle down and study before having to be thrown back into it.

And I know it will make absolutely NO difference in the kind of physician I will be.

But I would use the caveat that the professors at the medical school must be easy to understand and generally quite knowledgeable and into what they are doing--able to teach. I mean I know most of the learning is up to the individual learner, but a good teacher can make a significant difference too.
As long as I had effective Internet access and the database access I have now, I'd be good!

Sign. . .but I'm just dreaming. LOL, my husband would never go for it, and he flies for work a lot. So, it's not just that he'd have to fly to see me or vice versa. I think I've spoiled him.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
ME TOO!!! despite the MCAT score and the GPA, I'd really like to go to SABA. Is that crazy? I mean it's in the Carribean and it's cheaper. I'd really enjoy the sunny weather. I see some cons though, 1. clinicals 2. stereotype Any thoughts???

I did some calculations. St. George's would not at all be cheaper. Don't know about yours though.

As much as the ideally entices me, there are only a few med schools in the Caribbean I'd consider, and St. George is definitely one of them. Their students have good exams scores too. The way it works there, you do two years preclinical down there and then go to NY, CA, or some other places in the states for clerkships.

St. George's is ****ing expensive. I don't know what you're talking about but the cost is like $65,000-75,000 a year.

If you're gonna make an argument that it's a nice area, ok sure, but financial savings is not on the high list.

Also, it rains a lot during the fall and winter from what I've heard, so it's not all beach time.

Edit: St. George's has the nerves of not posting their cost of attendance and the info they give is very ambiguous. Ha ha, what a bunch of douches.

SABA is more direct and compared their values with St. George's and American schools here:

http://www.saba.edu/saba/images/Forms/calculate_expenses.pdf

Keep in mind that those are the figures for tuition ONLY. Don't forget to add room and board, food, books, transportation, etc. etc. which can tack on another 25,000 so let's say that 4*25,000 = ~$100,000 + $193,532 = $293532, and that is just principle. You'll have to add the interest that will be growing from medical school and during residency too.

You better have rich parents, spouse, or win the lotto, or mroe realistically go into a well paying specialty. Good luck doing that as an FMG!

Best of luck!

Edit: You're better off going to a cheaper DO school, unless you really hate the letters DO next to your name. Frankly, I would rather go DO than be classified as a FMG. It's not like Carribbean doctors are considered any more prestigious anyways and probably has more stigma than anything else.

In any case, if you do end up graduating with that much or more, please look into the military for HPSP or go for the underserved rural/urban community scholarship if you can to eliminate that horrible debt.

Last edited:
Yeah St. George is VERY expensive, as is living there! Not cheap at all!!!

SABA isn't as expensive but you can't get federal loans for that school. I don't know the terminology but you'd have to get all private loans to go there. ETA: CREDIT BASED LOANS, which will probably have higher interest rates than the unsubsidized federal loans.

I would LOVE to go to St. George because it's very pretty there and I like the school. But I don't want to deal with being an FMG. I also have a family and two dogs which would make moving there a lot more complicated than if I were single.

I also don't like how everything is supposed to be 'slow' on the island. Only small supermarkets with limited choices. I'm so used to having a Super Wal-Mart open 24/7 at my fingertips. I don't think I'd like all of that.

I also wouldn't want to be without a car since I have a child that would need to be brought to school/day care. There is just so much to think about before you decide to go there or not.

Last edited:
Don't aim for the carribean. Shoot for a program on the mainland.

Don't aim for the carribean. Shoot for a program on the mainland.

Yeah I have to agree. Shooting for it is counterintuitive to me. Its not a bad route if thats all you have, but no one should purposefully put themselves in a situation to have a harder time, more probability of issues, and harder time landing residency/getting licensed.

On the money issue the OP is wrong. These schools are way more expensive than any stateside school. Not just tuition, living, travel, etc. Plus look at what is going on with residency slots over the next several years and its a risky proposition at best. To shoot for it is not wise.

I dont feel like typing it all again (search if you want to read it all) but I came very close to going to SGU before deciding to postpone and go through the application again here, getting my acceptances. Its just much smoother and easier to go here, not about the prestige, or stigma, but factually based on getting your education and license. Dont forget many "offshore" schools dont have blue book clinical sites which can really mess you up too. Would I go if I had to, certainly, I almost did. Do I think its worth staying another year to apply in states, certainly. We are talking about our future and career, why start it off at a disadvantage?

Yeah St. George is VERY expensive, as is living there! Not cheap at all!!!

SABA isn't as expensive but you can't get federal loans for that school. I don't know the terminology but you'd have to get all private loans to go there. ETA: CREDIT BASED LOANS, which will probably have higher interest rates than the unsubsidized federal loans.

I would LOVE to go to St. George because it's very pretty there and I like the school. But I don't want to deal with being an FMG. I also have a family and two dogs which would make moving there a lot more complicated than if I were single.

I also don't like how everything is supposed to be 'slow' on the island. Only small supermarkets with limited choices. I'm so used to having a Super Wal-Mart open 24/7 at my fingertips. I don't think I'd like all of that.

I also wouldn't want to be without a car since I have a child that would need to be brought to school/day care. There is just so much to think about before you decide to go there or not.

Not to mention that there's no Wegman's. :)

It doesn't work as well for people with families and a spouse with a job in the states. Like I said. It's just more of a fantasy.

Have to agree with Mr. T, but as far as the rain, well. We've been living with a heck of a lot of snow lately. Spring seems like it is gonna take forever to get here. :(

Yeah I have to agree. Shooting for it is counterintuitive to me. Its not a bad route if thats all you have, but no one should purposefully put themselves in a situation to have a harder time, more probability of issues, and harder time landing residency/getting licensed.

On the money issue the OP is wrong. These schools are way more expensive than any stateside school. Not just tuition, living, travel, etc. Plus look at what is going on with residency slots over the next several years and its a risky proposition at best. To shoot for it is not wise.

I dont feel like typing it all again (search if you want to read it all) but I came very close to going to SGU before deciding to postpone and go through the application again here, getting my acceptances. Its just much smoother and easier to go here, not about the prestige, or stigma, but factually based on getting your education and license. Dont forget many "offshore" schools dont have blue book clinical sites which can really mess you up too. Would I go if I had to, certainly, I almost did. Do I think its worth staying another year to apply in states, certainly. We are talking about our future and career, why start it off at a disadvantage?

My friend didn't have a tough time getting a US residency at all, and he went to SG. Then he got this position in a nice family practice down south. Now he's making over mid 200's and is a partner. Of course, he had big time help from his folks fiancially--and no spouse or family or other ties.

My friend didn't have a tough time getting a US residency at all, and he went to SG. Then he got this position in a nice family practice down south. Now he's making over mid 200's and is a partner. Of course, he had big time help from his folks fiancially--and no spouse or family or other ties.

No no, I completely agree. There are always anecdotal stories that disprove the theory. SGU has some very prestigious appointments among its graduates. I'm not trying to down them at all, I mean, I nearly attended myself. I know a SGU grad who is a neurosurgeon at UT Southwestern myself.

What I'm saying is that's not the norm by any means. Not to mention your friend went into family practice. Harder specialties cause more trouble for a FMG. Also look at the number of new med schools opening in the next 4 years and then look at the number of residency slots in the next 4 years. Its going to get harder for FMGs, and I'm just saying there is really no need to willingly place yourself in that group if you dont have to. No benefit to the extra work.

I rarely post due to lack of time, but I saw this and had to comment.

In answer to your question - yes, you are nuts. Please do reading on why Carib schools should be your last option. There is plenty of factual information out there. Going to school to be a doctor should not be about locating yourself near a sunny beach. If you find you can't spend your hours and hours a day in the library in a non-beach area...I'm sure you could find a FL school near a beach to go to...where you will spend hours and hours in the library studying.

Please don't do this. Really.

One more time - in answer to your question. You. Are. Nuts.

And I am posting to save you future pain...not just to be an ass.

The best bet for the Caribbean is the "big 4" schools, St. George's, American University of the Caribbean, Ross, and SABA. Their graduates are eligible to be licensed in all 50 states.

A good source for info on Caribbean schools is www.valuemd.com.

Members don't see this ad :)
I rarely post due to lack of time, but I saw this and had to comment.

In answer to your question - yes, you are nuts. Please do reading on why Carib schools should be your last option. There is plenty of factual information out there. Going to school to be a doctor should not be about locating yourself near a sunny beach. If you find you can't spend your hours and hours a day in the library in a non-beach area...I'm sure you could find a FL school near a beach to go to...where you will spend hours and hours in the library studying.

Please don't do this. Really.

One more time - in answer to your question. You. Are. Nuts.

And I am posting to save you future pain...not just to be an ass.

Agreed. The Caribbean is a viable option, but only if not admitted to US MD or DO schools.

MD/DO > Big 4 Carib schools > "second tier" Carib schools (like AUA, MUA) > all other Carib schools.

No no, I completely agree. There are always anecdotal stories that disprove the theory. SGU has some very prestigious appointments among its graduates. I'm not trying to down them at all, I mean, I nearly attended myself. I know a SGU grad who is a neurosurgeon at UT Southwestern myself.

What I'm saying is that's not the norm by any means. Not to mention your friend went into family practice. Harder specialties cause more trouble for a FMG. Also look at the number of new med schools opening in the next 4 years and then look at the number of residency slots in the next 4 years. Its going to get harder for FMGs, and I'm just saying there is really no need to willingly place yourself in that group if you dont have to. No benefit to the extra work.

I hear and agree with what you are saying.
BUT. . .Ah, warm breezes. . .the sand on my feet. . . why can't I have my fantasy? ;)

BUT. . .Ah, warm breezes. . .the sand on my feet. . . why can't I have my fantasy? ;)

Hey, conventional wisdom aside, if you REALLY want to go, then go! It's your life. Why have regrets? If you have the ability and study hard, you'll be fine.

I totally agree with you.

My co-worker is actually an SGU grad and didn't match the first time she applied for Residency, so she ended up taking the year to do research with us. She applied again and is waiting to hear back, but has a feeling she won't match this time around either. Part of her assumption is based on how few interview invites she received compared to the first time she applied.

I asked for her opinion on Carribean vs. reapplying or going DO and she says that if she could do it all over she wouldn't have gone to the Carribean because of how much more difficult it is (statistically speaking) to match (considering US grads are favorable) and how super expensive it was. She says she would've reapplied to US schools and would've preferred to go DO if she didn't get into an MD school.

On the other hand, I know another SGU grad who had no problem the first time she applied and is now doing a Residency in OB at a great hospital here in NY.

OP-- I think you should really think about it more. There is a lot of advice on these boards regarding this topic...especially from those who've applied or are starting to apply.

Agreed. The Caribbean is a viable option, but only if not admitted to US MD or DO schools.MD/DO > Big 4 Carib schools > "second tier" Carib schools (like AUA, MUA) > all other Carib schools.

I know that a lot of people on SDN feel this way, but I will say for myself I would much rather go to SGU over SOME DO schools. Having experienced first hand what some of the rotations are like at some of these newer DO schools, I would much rather go to SGU that has really good rotation sites. Of course this is all person opinion and there are MANY great DO schools out there, but I'm speaking about some of the newer ones in particular. I know from pharmacy school that having solid rotations is a really important first step in becoming a competent practitioner. As a side note, I currently work with 4 SGU grads; two internists, a nephrologist and an electophysiologist. They are all awesome docs.

You know, there are places with beaches that are in the US...

Its not a bad route if thats all you have, but no one should purposefully put themselves in a situation to have a harder time, more probability of issues, and harder time landing residency/getting licensed.

Its just much smoother and easier to go here, not about the prestige, or stigma, but factually based on getting your education and license. Dont forget many "offshore" schools dont have blue book clinical sites which can really mess you up too. .... Do I think its worth staying another year to apply in states, certainly. We are talking about our future and career, why start it off at a disadvantage?

This is correct. I think it is seriously misguided for anyone to use a Carib school as his/her first choice, especially with US schools ramping up the # of grads every year (more spots for you...and fewer residency spots in 4-5 years to be left open for any kind of IMG or FMG, including Carib grads).

You know, there are places with beaches that are in the US...

:cool: I know. I actually don't live too far from the beach. Problem is, it's only conducive for Caribbean-like interaction ~ 4 mo.s or so out of the year.

One day maybe. . . I'll live on the beach. . .where it's warm most of the year.

Caribbean isn't practical for me for too many reasons, but I like the fantasy. Kind of like Billy Joel's number: "Sometimes a Fantasy". . .

So I get bummed when people blow it up. ;)

Haha, I know what you mean. I was all about living on the island when I was getting ready to head that way. Its really different from here (slower, no car, no evil wal-mart, etc) and I was kind of looking forward to it. So, come to med school in Galveston, its just like the Caribbean! :rolleyes: :D

Hey, conventional wisdom aside, if you REALLY want to go, then go! It's your life. Why have regrets? If you have the ability and study hard, you'll be fine.

There is some truth to this, a FMG with a 250 Step 1 wont have any trouble. but why start it off on the wrong foot. Its like getting married to someone who is currently cheating on you. Sure it can work, and could be fine, but its starting off poorly. :laugh:

I know that a lot of people on SDN feel this way, but I will say for myself I would much rather go to SGU over SOME DO schools. Having experienced first hand what some of the rotations are like at some of these newer DO schools, I would much rather go to SGU that has really good rotation sites. Of course this is all person opinion and there are MANY great DO schools out there, but I'm speaking about some of the newer ones in particular. I know from pharmacy school that having solid rotations is a really important first step in becoming a competent practitioner.

I'm not completely sure I agree with this. You really learn to be a physician in residency. I'm not saying rotations aren't important, not at all. Just thinking the cost/benefit ratio may not be upheld in the situation. You can learn more than anyone in the world during your rotation and if you can't place a residency, you can't practice. Pharmacy rotations would be a little different from medical rotations.

So I get bummed when people blow it up. ;)

:cool: Yeah, I understand. Heard a statistic that most physicians end up hating the city they went to med school in, so better to just go visit the beach after you have gone through the freak out that is med school. :D

Haha, I know what you mean. I was all about living on the island when I was getting ready to head that way. Its really different from here (slower, no car, no evil wal-mart, etc) and I was kind of looking forward to it. So, come to med school in Galveston, its just like the Caribbean! :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, I've heard Galveston is nice. You know if they need nurses down there? I'm not going to completely stop working. I want to knock down expense as much as possible--but I bet they don't pay nurses what they do up here.

:cool: Yeah, I understand. Heard a statistic that most physicians end up hating the city they went to med school in, so better to just go visit the beach after you have gone through the freak out that is med school. :D

This is my dream--living at the beach. The sound of those waves really helps me to sleep nice too!:cool:

Last edited:
This is from a PM I sent to a fellow PhD-to-MD who was considering going to the Caribbean as a first choice. I'm so strongly opposed to anyone going to the Caribbean before all other options are exhausted that I saved the message for future questions along the same lines like this one.

I'm not any kind of expert on Caribbean schools, having never seriously researched them let alone attended one. With that caveat, I honestly think that going to the Caribbean should be the absolute *last* resort for anyone.

It's completely unsurprising that the Caribbean grads you have met are doing well; by virtue of the fact that they are here, we can safely conclude that they were among the best students in their entire class. As a grad student, you don't need me to tell you how high the attrition is in PhD programs. Caribbean med schools are the same way: a significant number of people who matriculate don't finish. The fates of all these folks who were weeded out are not known; they certainly don't show up on any Caribbean school's match lists as unmatched! Now, consider how different this situation is compared to the situation in American med schools, where nearly *everyone* who starts med school graduates, and nearly *everyone* who graduates matches to an American residency. Consider also that a grad student who drops out out of their PhD program has lost some time, but that's about it. In contrast, a Caribbean med student who drops out or flunks out not only loses the time, but is also carrying six figures' worth of debt with no prospect of a high-paying job to help pay it all back. They may also have issues with borrowing enough money to fund their education in the first place, since they may not be eligible for all of the normal US education loans.

The picture gets even bleaker when you look at the trends in undergraduate medical education in this country. (That means medical school.) I would not suggest relying on the well-intentioned advice from these residents you know, not only because of the substantial selection bias I already discussed, but also because the odds you would face as an offshore applicant would be much worse than the odds they faced. In the near future, it is going to get harder than ever for students from offshore schools to come to the US for residency. Those that do successfully match will have a harder time matching into the more competitive specialties.

The reason for this is because of how many new American schools are opening (and how many established schools are expanding their class sizes). I'm from Florida. In my state alone, we've gone from having four MD schools and one DO school when I applied in 2005, to six MD schools (seven if you count FAU as separate from Miami) and two DO schools in 2010. This is a national trend, not just a Florida trend. More new American MD and DO schools have been opening every year since I've been a med student, more are scheduled to open in the next few years, and many schools now have larger class sizes. When you consider that the number of residency slots has largely stayed stable, you can see where I'm going here. In short, by the time you graduate med school in 5+ years, you will be competing for residency slots with the highest number of American grads in history.

So, what would I suggest you do instead? Stay here. Go to any accredited four year school, and do an informal post bac to rehabilitate your grades. Retake any courses you made Ds or Fs in. Complete any missing prereqs. Get at least 3 straight semesters of 3.8+ GPA under your belt if you want to apply to MD schools. If you want to apply to DO schools, you can do that even faster, since AACOMAS lets you replace bad grades rather than averaging them like AMCAS does. Probably 1-2 semesters would be enough to retake most or all of the courses you did poorly in (C or less), which would mean one year off before applying to DO schools. Study for the MCAT and aim for a 30+. Spend some time shadowing physicians or otherwise getting clinical experience, and ideally, spend some time volunteering as well.

There is nothing inherently wrong with being a Caribbean grad, and the ones who have made it here are completely equal to every American-trained physician. But never forget that you're only seeing the best-case scenario, not the total picture that includes all of the people who leave Caribbean schools (voluntarily or involuntarily) with nothing to show for it but their debt. Why would you rush to take the risk of being one of the substantial number of people who doesn't make it from a Caribbean school, *especially* when you haven't even tried to rehabilitate your academic record to give yourself a realistic shot at going to med school here?

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/medicine/article1061189.ece

• At Ross, fewer than one-third of the students finish in four years, compared to nearly 100 percent at U.S. medical schools.
- 20% of those who do make it through never land a residency.

• Students of foreign medical schools like Ross graduate with higher average debt, $235,000 compared to the average $158,000 owed by graduates of U.S. medical schools, according to an August report to Congress by regulators.

I have a friend of a friend who I connected with on Facebook who is in her first year at St. George's in Granada. She loves it there.

and it would be kind of cool to live some place warm and pretty for 2 years, lol,
I think someone has sold you a f!@#ed up dream. I know many graduates from there (and a few from ross, SABA) and it's not all that it's cracked up to be. they're (still) now having a difficult time with residency options (see the other great replies), or lack thereof. after you're an attending, you'll do just as well as any US grad but getting there can be a rough process. if you got you heart set on going, definitely do it but I'd read the fine print before dropping the US option.

In any case, if you do end up graduating with that much or more, please look into the military for HPSP or go for the underserved rural/urban community scholarship if you can to eliminate that horrible debt.

The HPSP scholarship and the NHSC scholarship (the underserved rural/urban program) are only available to students enrolled in American medical schools. However, an American who goes to the Caribbean, and returns to the US for residency, can enrolle in the FAP program through the military or they can do a two-year stint as an NHSC scholar (both only pay a little towards your loans)

I dunno if I agree with the sentiment in this thread. If you're a hard worked, it doesn't matter where you go.

Everyone writes the same exam when they finish med school. Clinical is done in the U.S. and price range is about $50000 US per year. You only spend 2 years in Grenada.

I know a bunch of people who graduated from SGU and have had no problems getting residencies etc. If you do well on the USMLE, they don't care what school you went to. Then again I'm in Canada, so maybe thats why things are a little different....maybe once you guys have universal healthcare the same thing will apply!

I dunno if I agree with the sentiment in this thread. If you're a hard worked, it doesn't matter where you go.

Everyone writes the same exam when they finish med school. Clinical is done in the U.S. and price range is about $50000 US per year. You only spend 2 years in Grenada.

I know a bunch of people who graduated from SGU and have had no problems getting residencies etc. If you do well on the USMLE, they don't care what school you went to. Then again I'm in Canada, so maybe thats why things are a little different....maybe once you guys have universal healthcare the same thing will apply!
The phrases I bolded in your post are key here. To reiterate what I told the other person in that PM, you don't know *any* of the people who did *not* graduate. You also don't know any of the people who managed to graduate but did *not* do well on the USMLE. And unfortunately, when you look at the published stats for Caribbean grads rather than relying on anecdote and personal experience, a *significant* number of these students never even make it through school, let alone manage to match to a U.S. residency.

The phrases I bolded in your post are key here. To reiterate what I told the other person in that PM, you don't know *any* of the people who did *not* graduate. You also don't know any of the people who managed to graduate but did *not* do well on the USMLE. And unfortunately, when you look at the published stats for Caribbean grads rather than relying on anecdote and personal experience, a *significant* number of these students never even make it through school, let alone manage to match to a U.S. residency.

Can this be said of SGU though?

I don't want to be too harsh, but choosing your med school based on the weather is silly. You will be spending most of your time studying, not lazing on the beach. I think you have unrealistic expectations if you really think you'll get to take advantage of the nice weather.

I'm a resident of a wintry state and I'll go in-state if I get accepted despite hating winter with a fiery passion (ironic!) for the lower tuition.

If you truly want to be a doctor, you'll go DO before Caribbean.

I don't want to be too harsh, but choosing your med school based on the weather is silly. You will be spending most of your time studying, not lazing on the beach. I think you have unrealistic expectations if you really think you'll get to take advantage of the nice weather.

I'm a resident of a wintry state and I'll go in-state if I get accepted despite hating winter with a fiery passion (ironic!) for the lower tuition.

If you truly want to be a doctor, you'll go DO before Caribbean.

I disagree that climate shouldn't be a factor on where you go, in fact for me, it's probably the major decider as to where I'd go. I've lived in the northeast my whole life and I hate it here. I found that not being able to go outside during long winters, the lack of sunlight at 4 PM during the day, all take a collective toll on you.

I've noticed that people on the northeast are crabbier than the moer laid back folks in California for instance.

And there's nothing wrong with lazing about on the beach. You can even study on the beach too!

I disagree that climate shouldn't be a factor on where you go, in fact for me, it's probably the major decider as to where I'd go. I've lived in the northeast my whole life and I hate it here. I found that not being able to go outside during long winters, the lack of sunlight at 4 PM during the day, all take a collective toll on you.

I've noticed that people on the northeast are crabbier than the moer laid back folks in California for instance.

And there's nothing wrong with lazing about on the beach. You can even study on the beach too!

All things being equal weather is a good tie-breaker, it just wouldn't be the deciding factor for me if other circumstances are present (like lower tuition in-state.) In a dream world where I'm accepted at Yale and Stanford, but not in-state, I'd choose Stanford.

Yeah unfortunately. I think the numbers are lower than other Carib schools, but still high per US standards. I'll go looking for all the stuff I found when doing my own research.

Thanx 7star. No need to trouble yourself.

Like I said, right now SGU isn't really practical for me. I'm hoping for closer to home.

I was, however, even curious about schools in SC and GA. I looked at MUSC, out of state tuition, and I thought I might have to go get admitted to the local ED.

Just to redeem myself a little here, not shooting for the Caribbean! I am new to this whole medicine dream and calling, lol. But, the more I read and research, I agree with the majority of posts. I do not really want to pick up and move my family (although we can still dream of the beach). I think realistically I would love to bust some ass and get into my state school (University of Alabama), though I know it will be a tough, tough goal.

Just to redeem myself a little here, not shooting for the Caribbean! I am new to this whole medicine dream and calling, lol. But, the more I read and research, I agree with the majority of posts. I do not really want to pick up and move my family (although we can still dream of the beach). I think realistically I would love to bust some ass and get into my state school (University of Alabama), though I know it will be a tough, tough goal.
UAB is a fantastic school that protects its seats for state residents (~90% in-state when I applied). It's definitely a good plan to apply there if you're an AL resident. But don't forget about USA, which is your other state school. Actually, USA may be an even better fit for you if you're serious about wanting to be on the beach. :)

I am aiming for US M.D./D.O. schools.

But... I am also aiming for the Caribbean for a marathon in the future, or possibly dive trips. :D

I am going to apply to two schools in the Caribbean. I'm not necessarily aiming to apply to just Caribbean schools. I plan on attending med school here in the states, but in the event I do not get accepted (slim chance, but you never know), I will have that as an option.

Cheers! :)

I'm going to apply to one or two as well, more as a confidence boost/last chance thing if I don't get in anywhere else. When I first started my pre-med stuff last year I too thought the carribbean would be great, I still do in some respects- sun, warm weather, beach, relaxing atmosphere, isolation, however protests from my girlfriend and my own growing concern about getting a residency have made me decide to avoid it at all costs. I'm worried that with all the new US schools opening, the difficult task of getting into a competetive residency as an IMG will become basically impossible.