What is It Like Living the Dream?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HonuByTheSea

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Forgive the reflective ramble, but I'm curious how others are feeling about being a non-trad and making significant life changes. So sharing how I feel...

I was doing patient visits yesterday at a regional hospital. I do really enjoy the job. Given the demographics in my area, most patients are very old and very sick. And I feel like I'm making a difference in their stay by popping my head in and seeing if there's anything I can do - mostly I just listen and chat.

Some days I feel a bit like a ghost strolling through the halls. The clinical staff flows around me as I move between rooms with my cart of books and magazines in tow. Not that they are ignoring me - they just are busy with their work. But it gives me time to observe them, their interactions with each other, and place myself into their shoes - all without them noticing me. I think medicine is unique in that your future - as a doctor and as a human - is so clearly laid out in front of you each day, compressing time into discrete buckets. One day you are a student learning to take care of an elderly patient, then you're a resident teaching a student, and then sometime down the line...you're the patient!

I am so happy to be pursuing this dream that I've had for a long time. In the past couple of years, I feel like I've shaken off a lot of the inertia that kept me progressing down a path that wasn't personally fulfilling. And as a result, I feel much more confident that a life spent taking care of people who are sick is exactly what I want. But there's something both exciting and anxious in the realization that I've set sail on a journey that will see me well into the next phase of my adult life, that I've let go of a comfortable, well-worn sense of identity, and that I will spending precious time reinventing my life without knowing exactly where it will lead.

I feel incredibly engaged with my life and I have a deep sense of agency over the choices I am making. And maybe that's what is so new and uneasy!
 
In my thirties, applying this cycle, with a family and humanities phd.

I am so happy as a medical assistant. I do clinical and admin work in medicine for 8 hours a day and then come home and listen to podcasts on medicine while I work out. this is a huge improvement from when I worked in academia and then came home to listen to podcasts on medicine XD

When I was applying to medical assistant jobs they kept worrying that i'd be bored. Im not bored at all! I love the pt interactions, im so happy at work. Im happier around my family and a better mom because I dont hate my work life. It's AWESOME. I know med school will be a lot of work, but I'd want to spend all my time studying medicine anyway, so that's all good.
 
This is a common experience, in our experience. It's why schools want clinical and non-clinical hours - and serious hours at that.

The medical field requires more than scientific knowledge but a clear understanding of systems and the Humanity of it all. To this, the best trait of medical students and Residents is observation. Observation allows connection, thinking, and appreciation for what you are doing in your own actions and presentation. Nontrads, especially with strong work backgrounds, are always observant folks and get a lot from even small interactions or moments - it's great when you're looking for anecdotes or powerful moments for your application writing.

Going through this process should never be a "requirement" or "something I have to do." It should always be an enthusiastically-affirmed decision with control at every step. Glad to see you incorporating this deeply!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my thirties, applying this cycle, with a family and humanities phd.

I am so happy as a medical assistant. I do clinical and admin work in medicine for 8 hours a day and then come home and listen to podcasts on medicine while I work out. this is a huge improvement from when I worked in academia and then came home to listen to podcasts on medicine XD

When I was applying to medical assistant jobs they kept worrying that i'd be bored. Im not bored at all! I love the pt interactions, im so happy at work. Im happier around my family and a better mom because I dont hate my work life. It's AWESOME. I know med school will be a lot of work, but I'd want to spend all my time studying medicine anyway, so that's all good.
Hi! Yeah that's awesome, and I can totally relate. I'm doing a CNA right now + some work at a clinic serving low-income. I think for me, I finish the day pretty tired, but wake up excited to do it again. Which I'm taking as a good sign.

So cool that you are coming from a humanities PhD! I'd bet that doesn't happen very often. Good luck with the cycle!!