No dental license for international student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlt0530

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am actually a prospective dental student for this coming fall semester, and I recently have heard of a very unpleasant rumor about dental license. While I highly doubt that this is true, I wanted to double check that with you guys since my future kind of depends on it!

Someone told me that the international student (who does not have any citizenship or permanent residency in the United State, but has studied in the State for high school, undergraduate, and dental school) can not obtain a dental license because of the status as a foreigner. Is it true?

I am thinking that it must not be since if that were the case, dental school should not have accepted the international students in the first place, right?

Is there anyone out there who does not have citizenship or Permanent Residency, and because of that, couldn't get the dental license?

Is there any condition that I have to meet to obtain dental license in America (of course, besides passing the board)? I acknowledge that this question can be somewhat absurd, but I will be more than appreciated if there is anyone who can clarify this confusion for me!

Thank you so much for your time and help in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ask in the International Dental Forum....

I'm sure you'll get a quick response.

GL...

Most state licensing boards require an SS#, I'm not sure if an ITIN is acceptable. If someone is a foreign national but legally allowed to work in this country, I don't see what is the problem with being licensed. There are plenty of dental students from Canada who stay here to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if there is a state that will give you a dental license, your visa status is what will limit whether you can actually work as a dentist.

There are plenty of dental students from Canada who stay here to work.

From what I know :

It's all about diploma recognition.
Each state board wants to protect their citizen from poor professionals.

International dentists are often required to pass a series of test or go back to school for a few years. That way it's a guarantee the professional has the same evidence-based knowledge of dentistry.

I think that with Canada and USA there is a agreement between the two countries that you only have to pass the national board of the respective country and not having to go back to school to practice there.

I am thinking that it must not be since if that were the case, dental school should not have accepted the international students in the first place, right?

Is there any condition that I have to meet to obtain dental license in America (of course, besides passing the board)? I acknowledge that this question can be somewhat absurd, but I will be more than appreciated if there is anyone who can clarify this confusion for me!

The nerve! First US ds make it hard for international students to gain admission and then they have the audacity to accept one knowing full well that citizenship may be a requirement for state licensure.

You must be a citizen or a Green Card holder to be licensed in New York State.

"To be licensed as a dentist in New York State initially or through endorsement you must
be a United States citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States (Alien Registration Card/USCIS I-551 Status/"Green Card")"
http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/dent/dentlic.htm

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of you guys' response!

I am beyond shocked that I might not be able to practice dentistry in the State after all that effort, time and $$$ to get into dental school!!!

I am trying to contact each state's dental board for more information, what kind of steps that I have to take to be able to practice in the State.
It is really more than depressing to hear about this news...

I think it is almost like a fraud to accept international students and not give them a license! I'm sure there must be someone out there who share my feeling! :(

Thanks for all of your input!

I am beyond shocked that I might not be able to practice dentistry in the State after all that effort, time and $$$ to get into dental school!!!

I am trying to contact each state's dental board for more information, what kind of steps that I have to take to be able to practice in the State.

I think it is almost like a fraud to accept international students and not give them a license! I'm sure there must be someone out there who share my feeling! :(

While I can understand you are frustrated, a dental school has no control over your immigration status or licensing. Being able to legally work in the country is your responsibility. Would you have preferred the dental school to have rejected your application? How are they supposed to know your future plans or immigration status? Some international students return to their country to practice dentistry because a US dental education allows them to open a higher end practice.

I think it is almost like a fraud to accept international students and not give them a license! I'm sure there must be someone out there who share my feeling!

You could spare yourself the aggravation and mental anguish by withdrawing your acceptance.

I am sorry for the bad news (although I doubt it), but if you are not a PR or citizen then you are on F1 non-immigrant visa which you can not obtain unless you prove to the consulate officer your intention of going back to your home country after graduation. How could you manage that?

Hey guys,

I am actually a prospective dental student for this coming fall semester, and I recently have heard of a very unpleasant rumor about dental license. While I highly doubt that this is true, I wanted to double check that with you guys since my future kind of depends on it!

Someone told me that the international student (who does not have any citizenship or permanent residency in the United State, but has studied in the State for high school, undergraduate, and dental school) can not obtain a dental license because of the status as a foreigner. Is it true?

Is there anyone out there who does not have citizenship or Permanent Residency, and because of that, couldn't get the dental license?

Thank you so much for your time and help in advance! :)

Every year international students apply for and are accepted to US Dental Schools. Some schools have agreements with other countries. Though these are generally for post-grad programs. These students then (generally) go back to their home country. American citzens also apply to foreign schools for many reasons. Licensure and the legal rigth to practice as a pvt clinician has nothing to do with the school. The individual has to do his own homework.

You can graduate, take national boards, even me licensed in a state BUT the feds will not allow you to work without the correct papers,

Yes, it's totally the licensing board's and/or the government's fault that you didn't do your due diligence before going into dentistry.