Emory is the new Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

houstoncfh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Highlights from the NRMP report released this morning:

Emory scrambled 3 spots
Univ. Maryland scrambled 2 spots

There were about 50 total spots. Most were from community type programs. These were the ones that really surprised me.

Members don't see this ad.

Emory scrambled 3 spots

There were about 50 total spots. Most were from community type programs. These were the ones that really surprised me.
:clap:

UMd also went to scramble last year. I find it really surprising...considering it is a decent program in an area with opportunities (Hopkins, NIH, DC close by).

I found it even more interesting that the day the unfilled list was available to those in the scramble, there were four (yes four) posts about UMd that were posted in 4 different threads about how great UMd was :bow:

Meh.

The match is a tricky beast sometimes. For programs like Emory it's more of a gamble with how many they will need to interview to fill, and I'd imagine in most years, it's quite a few less per spot than most programs through out the country. Interviewing takes time and money and if you think you can fill, say, interviewing 300 people, as opposed to 400 people, you are not going to interview 400 people. I kind of imagine UMD being a solid middle teir performer interviewed per usual, as many as it could get, who seemed qualified, and just missed out regionally, being less attractive girl at the dance with year.

Members don't see this ad :)

Emory scrambled 3 spots

Is there a link for this info? (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place...)

You have to log into the NRMP website I think. Here it is though.

Attachments

• Match_Outcome.pdf
    257.1 KB · Views: 1,348
Meh.

The match is a tricky beast sometimes. For programs like Emory it's more of a gamble with how many they will need to interview to fill, and I'd imagine in most years, it's quite a few less per spot than most programs through out the country. Interviewing takes time and money and if you think you can fill, say, interviewing 300 people, as opposed to 400 people, you are not going to interview 400 people. I kind of imagine UMD being a solid middle teir performer interviewed per usual, as many as it could get, who seemed qualified, and just missed out regionally, being less attractive girl at the dance with year.

I think its more than that. They are probably interviewing a lot lesser than they should - knowing what tier they are placed on. Its like why candidates go to scramble - they dont apply smartly. Something tells me both these programs dont interview smartly.

Also if you mainly interview candidates who also had interviews at the Big 8, then...you know. Its like a candidate should apply to a few top programs, but also where he/she has a good and safe chance of matching.

So you think Emory is considering themselves as a higher tier and that's why they are interviewing less candidates?

I think they consider themselves a great program mainly because they are one of the top programs in the SE. Even though they are a good program, I was just very, very underwhelmed by Emory this year.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they consider themselves a great program mainly because they are one of the top programs in the SE. Even though they are a good program, I was just very, very underwhelmed by Emory this year.

As was I. I think part of it was the new PD (the one who was previously an associate PD). He was a real downer in my opinion.

Last edited:
I think its more than that. They are probably interviewing a lot lesser than they should - knowing what tier they are placed on. Its like why candidates go to scramble - they dont apply smartly. Something tells me both these programs dont interview smartly.

Also if you mainly interview candidates who also had interviews at the Big 8, then...you know. Its like a candidate should apply to a few top programs, but also where he/she has a good and safe chance of matching.

We're saying the same thing. Perhaps I just didn't say it too good. :D

As was I. I think part of it was the new PD (the one who was previously an associated PD). He was a real downer in my opinion.

What other downers/red flags did you identify?

I thought Emory was the new Emory, in a manner of speaking. On my BWH interview, someone very high up in a student branch of a very prestigious Medical organization told me (when I told them my next interview was Emory) that that's the biggest/worst-kept secret in the medical world - Emory IM *never* fills bc it has too many spots. I actually posted about Emory in the original match leaks thread last week, but edited out my post because I didn't want it to seem like a violation. But yeah, that program director struck me as off, even though Grady seemed like a great place. I also knew that UMD didn't fill either, and really wanted to post about that in the recent rash of UMD threads we had last week just before Thursday, but didn't want to just for that same reason... seemed like propaganda from someone who scrambled there or someone with inside information about their lack of full match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which programs are the big 8?

Please let's not start the debate here...there are an infinite # of threads/rankings on this topic.

I would agree with the comments about Emory...something just did not feel right about the program this year, maybe because of the transition in leadership. It's a great program, but honestly, if they did only interview the most competitive applicants and an overwhelming majority of them were looking at higher ranked programs, then...this doesn't surprise me (as already stated by others). :rolleyes:

Whoa...looking at the list, UNC had TWO rad-onc spots and BOTH were unfilled? :confused: Isn't rad onc uber-competitive? I guess it's only relevant to this thread b/c a medicine prelim is required:D. But that's terrible.

I thought Emory was the new Emory, in a manner of speaking. On my BWH interview, someone very high up in a student branch of a very prestigious Medical organization told me (when I told them my next interview was Emory) that that's the biggest/worst-kept secret in the medical world - Emory IM *never* fills bc it has too many spots. I actually posted about Emory in the original match leaks thread last week, but edited out my post because I didn't want it to seem like a violation. But yeah, that program director struck me as off, even though Grady seemed like a great place. I also knew that UMD didn't fill either, and really wanted to post about that in the recent rash of UMD threads we had last week just before Thursday, but didn't want to just for that same reason... seemed like propaganda from someone who scrambled there or someone with inside information about their lack of full match.

Which factors drive programs to not fill up completely?

What are some pros and cons of Emory?

We can talk freely about programs now, since match week is over. :D

What the hell is this? I guess I could understand a big 4, but even then, it took an unhealthy amount of time reading SDN to figure out MGH, BWW, JHH, and UCSF, constituted some sort of big 4, which even most people at med school wouldn't be able to identify. But since when has there been a big 8? And why was this said so nonchalantly like everyone would understand what this meant. Why not just say top 10? Is this to stick it to programs like Michigan? Do they need to be excluded so you can say big 8?

If we're gonna start making up names like the big 8, I think everyone should tell people that they train at one of the big 8, just to make it more confusing, and enhance everyone's perceived pedigree.

:laugh:

If we're gonna start making up names like the big 8, I think everyone should tell people that they train at one of the big 8, just to make it more confusing, and enhance everyone's perceived pedigree.

Come on man, it's March Madness. I propose changing from "Big 8" to "Elite Eight," and if agreement cannot be made on 8 schools, expanding to a "Sweet Sixteen."

I consider emory at the level of UAB and UAB has a pretty big residency program also

Whoa...looking at the list, UNC had TWO rad-onc spots and BOTH were unfilled? :confused: Isn't rad onc uber-competitive? I guess it's only relevant to this thread b/c a medicine prelim is required:D. But that's terrible.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe UNC didn't participate in the match for rad-onc this year

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe UNC didn't participate in the match for rad-onc this year

Oh OK...2 spots are listed on the match list for the quota with zero matched but maybe they didn't do NRMP match, which would make sense...I'm only paying attention b/c a friend is freaking out about the rad onc match for next year.

I somehow used random knowledge of computer programming scripts from undergrad to ferret out the relevant unmatched data from that posted PDF. I'm not sure if I should post it, so I will write out the programs that didn't match in IM:

ala
baptist 8/4
usa 14/11

ca
st mary's sf 8/3 (wow!)

ga
emory 47/44

hi
tripler 3/2

il
advoc luth gen hosp 10/8
cook county primary care 2/1

la
earl k long 13/12
shreveport primary 4/0

maryland 28/26 (!)

michigan
providence 4/3

nevada
unev som reno 8/7

ny
lenox hill 26/22
lutheran 2/0
ny methodist 10/5
ny methodist primary care 10/0 (aww :()
st barnabas 2/0

oh
case primary 1/0
kettering 10/8
riverside 5/4
summa neou 7/6

sc
greenville 10/6
palmetto 10/5

tx
methodist houston 10/7

What the hell is this? I guess I could understand a big 4, but even then, it took an unhealthy amount of time reading SDN to figure out MGH, BWW, JHH, and UCSF, constituted some sort of big 4, which even most people at med school wouldn't be able to identify. But since when has there been a big 8? And why was this said so nonchalantly like everyone would understand what this meant. Why not just say top 10? Is this to stick it to programs like Michigan? Do they need to be excluded so you can say big 8?

BWH, MGH, UCSF, Penn, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, JHH (specifically put last for reasons known to the forum members :laugh: - it 'barely' made it to the big 8 ;) )

Anyway dont take me apart..I just used big 8 instead of the big 4 to broaden the spectrum of candidates Emory and Maryland "think" they can invite. And just for an example. I repeat, let's not deviate the thread into a rankings discussion. I was just using it as an example.

Last edited:
BWH, MGH, UCSF, Penn, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, UCLA

Anyway dont take me apart..I just used big 8 instead of the big 4 to broaden the spectrum of candidates Emory and Maryland "think" they can invite. And just for an example. I repeat, let's not deviate the thread into a rankings discussion. I was just using it as an example.

Did you make this up to piss off Moonglow? :laugh:

I think it's official. Anytime Moonglow brings up how amazing Hopkins is, people on SDN should point out that it's not even in the Big 8.

BWH, MGH, UCSF, Penn, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, UCLA

No Hopkins?! :laugh:

Did you make this up to piss off Moonglow? :laugh:

Haha...sorry, yeah I was wondering why I was forced to include UCLA in that list....please replace UCLA with JHH.

I think Moonglow went into dormancy after UMd and her "committee" went to scramble :laugh: (no offense intended, all good humor)

ny

ny methodist 10/5
ny methodist primary care 10/0 (aww :()

Not that anyone cares, but NYMH routinely does this. They take a few pre-matches, make a rank list that includes basically any US grad who bothered to interview there and then just fill in the scramble. In the past this has seemed like a really ridiculous plan, but given the number of people who didn't match this year, there were probably a fair # of decent folks jonesin' for an IM spot so they probably did better than usual.

Not that anyone cares, but NYMH routinely does this. They take a few pre-matches, make a rank list that includes basically any US grad who bothered to interview there and then just fill in the scramble. In the past this has seemed like a really ridiculous plan, but given the number of people who didn't match this year, there were probably a fair # of decent folks jonesin' for an IM spot so they probably did better than usual.

Yes, they do it every year.

All hearsay, but most of the AMGs they take through the scramble will leave them at the end of a year (for their advanced year/match into a PGY2 at a better program; so the categoricals get screwed because the work is split among a lesser # of categoricals). This is unless some other IMG is willing to take up their PGY2 spot. unlikely considering there are very few programs in the country worse than it - the main drawing point being that it is in NYC.

This also makes me wonder if UMd is following a similar plan (considering they went unmatched more than once); rank all the good guys who you can and then get the rest of the AMGs through the scramble, rather than rely on an IMG to fill the spot.

Also the prelim Med at some programs like UAB,Colorado,Uchicago were not entirely filled? Whats with the prelim programs at such places going to scramble? (also is going unfilled necessarily the same as going to scramble?)

Last edited:
I also knew that UMD didn't fill either, and really wanted to post about that in the recent rash of UMD threads we had last week just before Thursday, but didn't want to just for that same reason... seemed like propaganda from someone who scrambled there or someone with inside information about their lack of full match.

My bad about the "propaganda." I wrote some of those posts last week (I didn't match to Maryland and I didn't know they didn't fill) beause I actually though it was a good program.

UMd probably gets hurt because although it seems like a great program it is in the same city as JHH and Hopkins Bayview which probably poach some of their regional applicants.

BWH, MGH, UCSF, Penn, Duke, Columbia, Michigan, JHH (specifically put last for reasons known to the forum members :laugh: - it 'barely' made it to the big 8 ;) )

Whew, thank God JHH made it. We all know it is a mediocre program but some posters may go on a rampage if it were left out.

Also the prelim Med at some programs like UAB,Colorado,Uchicago were not entirely filled? Whats with the prelim programs at such places going to scramble? (also is going unfilled necessarily the same as going to scramble?)

I would think it's lack of cushness? I don't think any of those places offers prelims much reprieve in terms of call schedule. For example, if I recall correctly, Dr W at UC emphasized that they don't implement night float (in favor of traditional q4) for NF seems to reduce learning.

Although there were 7 spots claimed to be unfilled in Radiation Oncology this year, in actuality there were only 3 (Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville).

The other 4 "spots" (2 for UNC, 1 from Tufts and 1 other) were actually in programs that didn't even participate in the match or accept applications this year. Why they are counted in the seven is beyond me, but there were truly only 3 unfilled spots in RadOnc this year. I feel so blessed to be in the ~70% that matched (142 spots for 218 applicants).

Yes, RadOnc is uber-competitive, which is why I am so thankful.

Although there were 7 spots claimed to be unfilled in Radiation Oncology this year, in actuality there were only 3 (Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville).

The other 4 "spots" (2 for UNC, 1 from Tufts and 1 other) were actually in programs that didn't even participate in the match or accept applications this year. Why they are counted in the seven is beyond me, but there were truly only 3 unfilled spots in RadOnc this year. I feel so blessed to be in the ~70% that matched (142 spots for 218 applicants).

Wow, thanks for the clarification. Congratulations on the match!!:D

WOW Congratulations!! You are like a celebrity!! :woot:

Haha...sorry, yeah I was wondering why I was forced to include UCLA in that list....please replace UCLA with JHH.

I think Moonglow went into dormancy after UMd and her "committee" went to scramble :laugh: (no offense intended, all good humor)

What do u mean? UCLA should be in the top 10. Hopkins as well. Is there some kind of joke that i'm missing? I'm new to the IM forums.

What do u mean? UCLA should be in the top 10. Hopkins as well. Is there some kind of joke that i'm missing? I'm new to the IM forums.

This was the top 8..UCLA is probably in the top 10-15 programs. The Hopkins joke was directed at certain forum members (and at the people who send out the Hopkins rejections every year) that if you dont get an interview/match at Hopkins, you should consider leaving medicine :laugh: