2010-2011 University of North Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

.Never mind - stupid misunderstanding. good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Hey Guys. I got an email today from UNC saying:

"
Thank you for your interest in UNC School of Medicine.
All
applicants are required to meet the prerequisite courses. For your convenience the link is below:
http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/how-to-apply

AP courses are okay, but It is advisable, strongly recommended, that in order for you to be best prepared for graduate level school that you take college level science courses."

.Does this mean they won't send me a secondary email? I did take some AP classes, but I'm a BIO major, so I have taken plenty of science courses. I don't understand.

Did you just ask a general question or did you already apply? why did they send you that email in the first place?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am interested in applying to UNC but I am out of state. Does anyone know the % of OOS students accepted?

Hi,
I am interested in applying to UNC but I am out of state. Does anyone know the % of OOS students accepted?

They typically take 20-30 OOS to fill the 160 seats.

Do they have higher rates for OOS students who attended undergrad in NC or SC?

I don't think UNC has any commitment whatsoever to SC. As for NC? I'd expect it would hurt, just because there are so many applicants who went to an NC state school for undergrad. You'll just be competing against a larger pool. Honestly, though, this is just speculation.

Hi,

Real low... Yes, they have like 20-30 spots of 160 for OOS, but there were like 4000 OOS applicants last year. Do the math; it's less than 1% of OOS applicants that end up there.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm just saying to do it with the right attitude. Go in expecting nothing (and apply a lot of other places, too) and just be pleasantly surprised if you get an interview/get in. Good luck to you, I hope you make it! :thumbup:

PS. For OOS, they seem to really like nontrads/URM/someone else that is VERY unique. If you are a cookie cutter premed, you might not get any love from them as OOS. I think even ksmi got rejected pre-interview last year, and she is like a crazy premed goddess who got in, like, EVERYWHERE. :)

Does anyone know what the screening minimums are for in-state applicants in order to receive a secondary and then possibly interview?

I don't know what the minimum screening requirements are but if you are in-state and receive a secondary you automatically get an interview.

Has anyone received a secondary? In-state or OOS? Any idea what OOS screening minimums are?

Not that I know of, but looking at the past two years application threads for UNC, secondaries don't start coming out until early August. Ugh... such a long time to wait compared to alot of other schools.

Not that I know of, but looking at the past two years application threads for UNC, secondaries don't start coming out until early August. Ugh... such a long time to wait compared to alot of other schools.

Get used to it. They will take FOREVER to do EVERYTHING. It's a totally awesome school, and I have my fingers crossed for this year, but they are very VERY slow. Last year I interviewed in November and didn't hear anything, and I really mean absolutely NOTHING, until APRIL. So yeah, settle in for a long ride if you are applying here.

Good luck to everyone though, I hope we all make it. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a confirmation e-mail saying they received AMCAS and to wait to hear more from them. Sooo excited even though it doesn't mean anything haha :D

Just got a confirmation e-mail saying they received AMCAS and to wait to hear more from them. Sooo excited even though it doesn't mean anything haha :D

Got an e-mail too, though I'm OOS so chances are slim for me here!

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompts for the UNC secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompts for the UNC secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Essay prompts are not out yet as far as I know. The only communication from the school thus far has been to acknowledge that they have received AMCAS.

Essay prompts are not out yet as far as I know. The only communication from the school thus far has been to acknowledge that they have received AMCAS.
Talked to Randee in the admissions office yesterday, and she stressed that NO supplementals had been sent out yet. Best of luck to everyone (including me)!

OOS Carolina Undergrad here! Such a beautiful medical school...state of the art facilities and renovations going on...integrated right in the heart of campus with all the undergrads. Great community. Good luck to all! I hope I can make an OOS miracle happen twice :D!

wait, so im oos and just got the supplemental invitation, does every out of state applicant get the supplemental or do they screen?

I just got the secondary as well and got really excited because I know they heavily screened OOS in previous years. Anybody know if this is still the case?

"Respond to each prompt in no more than 1-2 paragraphs (150 words total)."
That means each question should be no more than 150 words, right? 150 words for all three would be an insanely small amount of space...

For those of you OOS that got a secondary, what are you're stats? Thanks.

Has anyone that's IS gotten a secondary yet? or do they come out after OOS????

verified by amcas 6/23. received the 'we got your application' email from unc 7/16. Just got the email for the secondary today:

"We value your interest in our Medical School and wish to express our appreciation for your patience and understanding.

In our continuing effort to improve how we can better serve our future Carolina students, our University is transitioning to a new campus-wide computer system. With change there are challenges, and we encountered a few that delayed us from inviting you to complete our Supplemental Application last month. At this time, we would like to invite you complete our supplemental application...Please return the completed supplemental materials to the Office of Admissions within two weeks after receiving our invitation."

i'm in state/nontraditional. super excited :D

OOS, screened in 3.9/37Q

Good luck everybody, the OOS stats are really low for this school, don't get discouraged if you don't get a secondary.

Got the secondary. OOS 35Q/3.7something.

On a different note, I'm not seeing a secondary fee...Is this secondary fo' free??? That would be tight.

No, the secondary is not free...There's a link on the supplement page (where you can download the supplement file) where you pay $68 dollars.

anyone else having trouble signing the document at the end? word doesn't seem to let me click on those lines

are we supposed to send them a word document filled out? that seems less secure than a pdf or something...

they sure didn't give that much direction with the secondary huh?

nm...the website answered my questions, sorry

I just got the secondary as well and got really excited because I know they heavily screened OOS in previous years. Anybody know if this is still the case?

How do you know this? If theyve done it before, then they prob do it still.

How do you know this? If theyve done it before, then they prob do it still.

According to their website "Because the majority of each class is filled by North Carolina residents, the criteria for supplemental applications are more competitive for out-of-state applicants."

I believe about 20% of the class if from NC but I am not too sure about that.

Nothing yet but keeping my fingers crossed... prompts anyone?

Got the secondary yesterday, OOS- 3.6ish/37

I would love to come to UNC, but I guess that a lot of the OOS folks they take either

I) Went to UNC/Duke for undergrad

II) Are URM or very unique non-trad

So I will do my best, but my hopes aren't particularly high at this point, unless they happen to take more OOS than they have in past years

OOS, screened in 3.9/37Q

Good luck everybody, the OOS stats are really low for this school, don't get discouraged if you don't get a secondary.

Just screened in - same stats as lollybo

applying late in the cycle. hopefully it won't kill me here.

Last edited:
I think I screened in, but I accidentally deleted the e-mail (went to my spam folder!) Is it a hard-copy, I saw an attachment. If there is a link, can someone PM me with the link? Stupid technology!

Has anyone gotten confirmation from UNC that their secondary has been received?

Still haven't heard anything. In-state.

AMCAS verified 6/25, 3.6 GPA 37 MCAT.

Is this normal? I'm starting to get a little worried.

Highly doubt you should be worried, they are just probably sending them out in batched. I was AMCAS verified on late July, received secondary on 08/05 with slightly lower stats than you. They may look at more than stats pre-screen, however...I'm not sure.

Hey, I'm a current third year at UNC and just want to wish all of you good luck. UNC really is an amazing place to go to school. I couldn't imagine being happier anywhere else.

I try to stop by the interview waiting room to talk to folks as often as possible, but I'm away on rotations all semester. I might drop by on Friday if they're doing interviews already. Let me know if you've got any questions about the school that I can answer. I don't log into SDN too frequently, but I'll try to help you out.

Has anyone gotten confirmation from UNC that their secondary has been received?

I got a confirmation email yesterday, and I submitted on 8/6. I'm also OOS if that matters at all...

I got a confirmation email yesterday, and I submitted on 8/6. I'm also OOS if that matters at all...

Thanks, I got mine yesterday as well. Now hope to hear soon about an interview.

Has anyone received a secondary? In-state or OOS? Any idea what OOS screening minimums are?

I don't think UNC has screening minimums. I know somebody who got in out of state with an absurdly low undergraduate GPA, although they had been out of school for several years and had a great resume otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.