2010-2011 University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. Are you a legal resident of South Carolina?

2. Have you previously applied to the University of South Carolina School of Medicine?

3. What are your medical practice goals?

4. Please list dates of completion of prerequisite course work:

General Biology, with laboratory 8 semester hours
Inorganic Chemistry, with laboratory 8 semester hours
Organic Chemistry, with laboratory 8 semester hours
English composition & literature 6 semester hours

6. If you have taken other standardized examination, please indicate the examination(s) taken and score obtained:

7. If accepted for admission at USC SOM, which clinical campus would you prefer to complete your third and fourth years?
____ Columbia ____Greenville ____ No preference

8. Does this application represent a career change? If so, please describe your most recent career.

9. If it has been more than 6 months since you completed your bachelor's degree, please describe your employment status since that time (half-time, full-time and dates).

10. In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?

11. What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?

12. Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Question: Does the University of South Carolina screen applicants before sending them access to the secondary application??
I ask this because the most recent MSAR states that they send the secondary to "all applicants".

But on the school's web site under the application process section it says this: "Following receipt and individual screening of the initial AMCAS application in the School of Medicine Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services, supplemental application materials (including evaluations and a nonrefundable $95 processing fee) will be requested from all qualified applicants selected to receive further consideration." That sure sounds like screening to me.

Anyways, this morning I got an invitation to submit their secondary. I am OOS. I hope this is a good sign. I'm a little curious too, that if it went to "all applicants", then why am I the only one posting??

Last edited:
I'm OOS and got the secondary today, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
No clue...theres really no way to know unless you email them or talk to someone who hasn't gotten the secondary.

I'm from NC too, so the fact that you are too, catches my attention just a little bit. I might call tomorrow.

I just read their the part about individual screening on their website, so it sounds like they do screen. I wonder when we'll get secondaries from UNC and ECU...

Hey thanks for going to their site and reading it. I really think they do screen, in fact they use that word. So hopefully that's great news for us!! Sort of :)
I've found a few little typos in the MSAR, but don't know for sure if this is one. Best of luck.

I got a secondary too (OOS). Now I just have to decide whether or not to submit since it said in the email only applicants with serious ties to South Carolina will be given serious consideration (in italicized). I applied because I have an uncle who lives there with his family, but maybe I'll give a call to the office and see what they consider serious ties to be (I'm thinking mine is more likely not one haha, maybe I should have saved that $32 for a different school...oh well, no worries)

OOS and JUST got mine for this school (verified since 7/2)

:luck: everyone. Who all from OOS w/o strong ties is applying?

I've got pretty strong ties and am applying. I sent my secondary in a little over a week ago and haven't gotten any e-mails or anything from them. Anyone else send get a completion e-mail or anything?

anyone interviewing on 9/22? They still haven't received my secondary tho and my money and i mailed it like 4 days ago...i reallyyy hope it didn't get lost, but still...excited!

are we supposed to print and handwrite this application? i cant type the information into the pdf directly.

just wanted to make sure. ive have alot of trouble with pdf files downloading in no save format. hopefully this is just another glitch.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
When is the first interview date for them this cycle, not including the EDP?

Just got an interview for 9/29!!!! I was even thinking of withdrawing all my applications after I got my MCAT score back (26 with a 6 in PS)....I'm glad I didn't though. I still can't believe it...I could have sworn after I got my interview invite e-mail that they were going to e-mail me back telling me that they thought I was someone else....

Just got an interview for 9/29!!!! I was even thinking of withdrawing all my applications after I got my MCAT score back (26 with a 6 in PS)....I'm glad I didn't though. I still can't believe it...I could have sworn after I got my interview invite e-mail that they were going to e-mail me back telling me that they thought I was someone else....

Woe, congrats!! I'm assuming you are IS? Enjoy the moment :love:
Best of luck to you this cycle and beyond.

Yeah I am instate, but I am surprised they didn't ask me to prove it...I moved here for college 4 years ago, but have been working the whole time (and paying taxes) and I have bought a house in Charleston and changed over my license and all that....but they don't know that because they haven't asked me to prove it. I'm sure they will at some point....but I am just ecstatic about the interview. I know it is still a longshot with my stats, but they must have seen SOMETHING in my app they liked to interview me right? Especially for one of the first dates? I am trying not to get my hopes up...I had kind've resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't get in this year. I have even signed up for a princeton review class for the January MCAT. It would be wonderful though if I could get an acceptance and not have to take out my MCAT books for the 3rd time. I just can't believe it....

When is the first interview date for them this cycle, not including the EDP?

I think it's the 22nd actually. I tried to get mine moved up earlier but they said this is the earliest time frame they can interview.

OOS and JUST got mine for this school (verified since 7/2)

:luck: everyone. Who all from OOS w/o strong ties is applying?

I just received the secondary. I'm still deciding as to whether to apply or not. Anyone else applying that's OOS and does not have strong ties to the state?

I am applying OOS without any strong ties. I just really liked the school and love the city, so I may be wasting the $95+$32 to apply here, but I will give it a shot!!!

I am applying OOS without any strong ties. I just really liked the school and love the city, so I may be wasting the $95+$32 to apply here, but I will give it a shot!!!

so did you leave the significant ties portion blank? or did you explain why you like the school and city?

Congrats on the interview invite!!!
When did you submit your amcas (and when was it verified)? I submitted mine last week..and i feel it was a little late. B/c I am still not verified.

On the AMCAS website it says it can take 4-6 weeks to verify the application. I submitted mine July 15th and was verified Aug 10th.

I wouldn't say that you are late. Last year I submitted my application mid November and was still able to interview in March. Although I was not accepted, someone that interviewed with me was.

On the AMCAS website it says it can take 4-6 weeks to verify the application. I submitted mine July 15th and was verified Aug 10th.

I wouldn't say that you are late. Last year I submitted my application mid November and was still able to interview in March. Although I was not accepted, someone that interviewed with me was.

Oh ok! thanks..that does make me feel a little better. I guess it is hard to not get paranoid at this point. Did you happen what your friend had?

Last edited:
Oh ok! thanks..that does make me feel a little better. I guess it is hard to not get paranoid at this point. Did you happen to know if your friend had incredible stats? B/c that really scares me too (i.e. not having a stellar mcat score!)

I believe their stats were ~3.75 GPA and a 26 or 27 MCAT. I know numerous people who were accepted to USC with MCATs ranging from 26-28. I don't think they care as much about that as they do the interviews.

I applied with a 3.8 GPA and a 28O MCAT but I let my nerves get to me and messed up one of the interviews. Just try not to be nervous. They are really laid back there and everyone is very nice. Good luck with everything!

I believe their stats were ~3.75 GPA and a 26 or 27 MCAT. I know numerous people who were accepted to USC with MCATs ranging from 26-28. I don't think they care as much about that as they do the interviews.

I applied with a 3.8 GPA and a 28O MCAT but I let my nerves get to me and messed up one of the interviews. Just try not to be nervous. They are really laid back there and everyone is very nice. Good luck with everything!

Thanks for your encouragement! I am in the same boat. And you are right, interview is very important. We'll see how things go. Good luck to you too! :)

Last edited:
Is the first interview on 9/15? When is the EDP applicant interview date?

The EDP interview date is September 15th (I have an interview that day). The first interview for regular applicants is September 22. I have a a few friends interviewing that day.:D

Good luck!

I am a bit confused. I am out of state (therefore not EDP), and yesterday I received an interview for Wed. Sept 15th. I submitted my AMCAS on the last day of June and I think it was processed mid July, but I just got my first MCAT score Tuesday (27 O so clearly not impressive). Is anyone sure of those dates?

I am a bit confused. I am out of state (therefore not EDP), and yesterday I received an interview for Wed. Sept 15th. I submitted my AMCAS on the last day of June and I think it was processed mid July, but I just got my first MCAT score Tuesday (27 O so clearly not impressive). Is anyone sure of those dates?

I was confused too, so I called them. Shelley said that 9/15 is for EDP and they are interviewing a few regular decision. They only interview about 10 total on that date. 9/22 starts regular decision interviews.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

I was confused too, so I called them. Shelley said that 9/15 is for EDP and they are interviewing a few regular decision. They only interview about 10 total on that date. 9/22 starts regular decision interviews.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!

Thanks! Mine is on 9/29 good luck everyone let me know how they go!

I interview that day and I remember being told that there were around 10 of us that were invited. This includes a few regular decision applicants as well.

I interview that day and I remember being told that there were around 10 of us that were invited. This includes a few regular decision applicants as well.

Great! Thanks for letting me know, I'm trying to figure out how many are usually interviewed each date.

This thread is pretty dead compared to last years. The first interview date is coming quick and there is zero activity, oh well.

i added USC on my amcas exactly a month ago and still haven't received the secondary. i don't understand why not? should i give the school a call?

i'm OOS.

i added USC on my amcas exactly a month ago and still haven't received the secondary. i don't understand why not? should i give the school a call?

i'm OOS.

I would call Monday, they are very friendly and will help you out.

I think you should have recieved your secondary even though you are OOS.

Interviews today went very well. There were 11 of us today. Later on they will interview between 15-20 people each day.

Very relaxed. We were told that decision will likely not go out for another week.

Good Luck.

Interviews today went very well. There were 11 of us today. Later on they will interview between 15-20 people each day.

Very relaxed. We were told that decision will likely not go out for another week.

Good Luck.

Good Luck to you!
Did you get any hard, mind-boggling questions?

Good Luck to you!
Did you get any hard, mind-boggling questions?

I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't get any random questions. Just the standard why medicine, your obstacles/achievements types of questions.

Everyone says it's very relaxed, and it is, but I wouldn't keep from making sure that you are fully prepared. I definitely had some pauses that I feel like might have hurt me a little.

does it make any sense to apply now as I am late now.

Last edited:
Yes. Make sure you have lots of shadowing experience. That seems to be one of the most important factors.

Yes. Make sure you have lots of shadowing experience. That seems to be one of the most important factors.
thanks tigerdude for encouragement. I have good shadowing hours and had rich experience while shadowing the doctors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.