Surefire Method of Passing CCS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euphrates

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've taken Step III, twice.

( I did not begin residency)

I've noticed that I totally failed the CCS section on both attempts.
The first time I took Step III, I superficially reviewed the UW CCS cases, covering about 23 cases. On my second attempt I did roughly 47 out of 52 cases, twice, while actively taking notes.

During the actual exam, I remember that about 2 of the 9 cases, the patient died (or rather, they did not respond positively?)

I've studied Premier Review Step 3 notes and Conrad Fischer's Step 3 book. UW CCS and a fraction of the UW qbanks. I've also looked at the CCSworkshops (a pre-recorded online CCS training program).

Are there any programs or tutoring services that guarantee a passing Step III? Falcon? Pass? Kaplan Test Prep seems to avoid CCS altogether.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your score went down??...u not taking this thing seriously? what's the deal?
what did u use for step2?... i would use that...
and ezpass ccs, and keep doing mult. choice questions on uw and their ccs cases.

how many times did u take step 1.. step 2?
ru an amg?
y no residency?

ur suspect

Last edited:
and ezpass ccs, and keep doing mult. choice questions on uw and their ccs cases.

ru an amg?
y no residency?

ur suspect

I used my studying methods from CK and applied them to Step 3, but it did not translate too well. I think the biggest prob is time management-allocating study time to MCQ preparation v.s CCS. No residency due to multiple attempts on CK. One attempt at Step 1.

However, are there any dedicated tutoring services that can get me to pass the CCS. Since the CCS is 1/4th of the weighted score, I would assume that it should, theoretically, improve my score?

how many attempts on ck?
how many times did you enter the match? what field?
are you an american medical graduate?

i think if you read the kaplan books. and do uw cases and questions over and over and over you should be aight.

Members don't see this ad :)
how many attempts on ck?
how many times did you enter the match? what field?
are you an american medical graduate?

i think if you read the kaplan books. and do uw cases and questions over and over and over you should be aight.

Psych/Fam, not an AMG

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
So why the superficial review of Step 3? Why only 23 of the 52 CCS Cases (on the 1st attempt) and a fraction of the UW QBank completed? If not residency, what in your schedule prevented you from devoting the necessary time to give a stronger effort?

Okay, I've taken Step III, twice.

( I did not begin residency)

I've noticed that I totally failed the CCS section on both attempts.
The first time I took Step III, I superficially reviewed the UW CCS cases, covering about 23 cases. On my second attempt I did roughly 47 out of 52 cases, twice, while actively taking notes.

During the actual exam, I remember that about 2 of the 9 cases, the patient died (or rather, they did not respond positively?)

I've studied Premier Review Step 3 notes and Conrad Fischer's Step 3 book. UW CCS and a fraction of the UW qbanks. I've also looked at the CCSworkshops (a pre-recorded online CCS training program).

Are there any programs or tutoring services that guarantee a passing Step III? Falcon? Pass? Kaplan Test Prep seems to avoid CCS altogether.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry to hear about your result. CCS is definitely a key to pass this exam. If you can not do at least 80% correct on the CCS, most people say you can not pass this exam.

The problem with USMLE WORLD software is that there are many mistakes in the interaction and it does not guide on what to do to get a higher score. It also does not tell what things are most crucial to score higher on the CCS. I have done this and I find there are some critical mistakes in UW which can lower the CCS score. For example, UW software does not accept patients for surgery when surgery is required. The software is not properly designed to accept the patient when an appropriate surgery is ordered. This error can misguide us to think as if there is no need for surgery and this can cost us the entire case on the exam. I did cases on USMLE CD and when there is an indication for surgery, the surgeon will accept the patient and a window pops up saying " patient will be scheduled for surgery. Continue with medical management". We should then type the name of the surgery itself along with pre-op orders.

Other mistake is the timing of emergent surgery is totally wrong on UW when you compare with the real USMLE CD. For example on UW, emergent laparotomy takes 24hrs, which is not emergent. This is wrong. You can practice this on USMLE CD. In reality, Stat laporotomy takes only 2 hours. If you pick up case number 1 on usmle CD and order "laporotomy" and choose "stat" and then check report time. It says with in 2 hours of order time, it will be done.
If you are practicing on USMLE World software, please remember there are hundreds of errors especially in critical aspects like this where this software can clearly misguide us with respect to report times and time taken to complete an order. This leads to confusion.

There are other critical mistakes on UW software like timing of CT in ER settings. CT scan stat in the ER takes 4 hours to come back on UW software where as it takesx only 30 minutes to come back on the USMLE CD. This shows that UW software has no time sense with respect to ER case scenarios where simulated time is crucial. If you have a stroke patient who presented in the ER with in 30 minutes, you can not wait for 4 hours to read the CT head result. If that is the case, you lose the valuable 3 hour window to administer thrombolytic in a CVA patient. UW software reports CT head in ER setting after 4 hours. Practicing cases on such software can obviously screw up our analysis i.e; waiting for four hours for a CT head when tpa was to be given with in 3 hours in a ischemic CVA patient.

CT head takes only 30 minutes if ordered as "STAT" in the ER setting on the USMLE CD. So, clearly UW is giving erroneous "report times" which can mess up the case approach. I think it is better to work on the USMLE CD software to clear your doubts regarding this simulated time.

Have you listened to ********** course or Shaher's ? I heard ********** course uses the USMLE CD to demonstrate the cases so report times and simulated times are accurate and as per guidelines. I have not watched these yet but I am considering Archer and shaher. What is your opinion on the ********** course or USMLE consult or Shaher CD?

I am sorry to hear about your result. CCS is definitely a key to pass this exam. If you can not do at least 80% correct on the CCS, most people say you can not pass this exam.

The problem with USMLE WORLD software is that there are many mistakes in the interaction and it does not guide on what to do to get a higher score. It also does not tell what things are most crucial to score higher on the CCS. I have done this and I find there are some critical mistakes in UW which can lower the CCS score. For example, UW software does not accept patients for surgery when surgery is required. The software is not properly designed to accept the patient when an appropriate surgery is ordered. This error can misguide us to think as if there is no need for surgery and this can cost us the entire case on the exam. I did cases on USMLE CD and when there is an indication for surgery, the surgeon will accept the patient and a window pops up saying " patient will be scheduled for surgery. Continue with medical management". We should then type the name of the surgery itself along with pre-op orders.

Other mistake is the timing of emergent surgery is totally wrong on UW when you compare with the real USMLE CD. For example on UW, emergent laparotomy takes 24hrs, which is not emergent. This is wrong. You can practice this on USMLE CD. In reality, Stat laporotomy takes only 2 hours. If you pick up case number 1 on usmle CD and order "laporotomy" and choose "stat" and then check report time. It says with in 2 hours of order time, it will be done.
If you are practicing on USMLE World software, please remember there are hundreds of errors especially in critical aspects like this where this software can clearly misguide us with respect to report times and time taken to complete an order. This leads to confusion.

There are other critical mistakes on UW software like timing of CT in ER settings. CT scan stat in the ER takes 4 hours to come back on UW software where as it takesx only 30 minutes to come back on the USMLE CD. This shows that UW software has no time sense with respect to ER case scenarios where simulated time is crucial. If you have a stroke patient who presented in the ER with in 30 minutes, you can not wait for 4 hours to read the CT head result. If that is the case, you lose the valuable 3 hour window to administer thrombolytic in a CVA patient. UW software reports CT head in ER setting after 4 hours. Practicing cases on such software can obviously screw up our analysis i.e; waiting for four hours for a CT head when tpa was to be given with in 3 hours in a ischemic CVA patient.

CT head takes only 30 minutes if ordered as "STAT" in the ER setting on the USMLE CD. So, clearly UW is giving erroneous "report times" which can mess up the case approach. I think it is better to work on the USMLE CD software to clear your doubts regarding this simulated time.

Have you listened to ********** course or Shaher's ? I heard ********** course uses the USMLE CD to demonstrate the cases so report times and simulated times are accurate and as per guidelines. I have not watched these yet but I am considering Archer and shaher. What is your opinion on the ********** course or USMLE consult or Shaher CD?

Thank you so much for your sincere response! I truly feel that the UW CCS does not do a decent job guiding the test-taker.

I've downloaded the pre-recorded **********, but I have a feeling that it is not a suitable substitute for the 2-day live sessions. The live classes are more interactive, and the learning is less passive, I suppose. This is the first time hearing about Shaher CD. I will definitely check it out!

Thank you so much for your sincere response! I truly feel that the UW CCS does not do a decent job guiding the test-taker.

I've downloaded the pre-recorded **********, but I have a feeling that it is not a suitable substitute for the 2-day live sessions. The live classes are more interactive, and the learning is less passive, I suppose. This is the first time hearing about Shaher CD. I will definitely check it out!

I take your advice. I registered for ********** workshop live webinar session that is scheduled for July 18. But, you mentioned it is 2 days. As per their website, it is one day session. Also, I noticed that the pre-recorded ********** has two workshops in it. Does it provide lot higher number of CCS cases than their live sessions?

I take your advice. I registered for ********** workshop live webinar session that is scheduled for July 18. But, you mentioned it is 2 days. As per their website, it is one day session. Also, I noticed that the pre-recorded ********** has two workshops in it. Does it provide lot higher number of CCS cases than their live sessions?

I just checked the website again. It is indeed, a one day session. I don't know why I thought it was 2 days ( I probably confused it with the pre-recorded sessions). Regarding the pre-recorded format, I went through about one session, a while back. They do cover quite a few cases, but I don't recall the number. However, I have problems staying focused, unless I have the session occurring live. The same problem with Kaplan videos. I can't watch pre-recorded videos, but I'm perfectly fine being taught by tutors at the Kaplan Test Prep centers.

Last edited:
such a long-winded bashing of UW CCS in support of another product. no one's buying this duo monkey-act. what they payin ya?:corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
such a long-winded bashing of UW CCS in support of another product. no one's buying this duo monkey-act. what they payin ya?:corny:
It does not take a first grade student to find out who is a salesman. It is quite obvious that you can not accept the shortcomings in UW. That makes you a salesman, not me.
I am using UW and I find the above very critical mistakes. I am sure many other UW users are having these issues but are probably thinking that is correct in the software. You should try on the USMLE CD to know the correct report times of test results and responses from the exam software. Anyone who is using UW should realize these many mistakes in the UW software that can potentially lower the score. This is the purpose of my post. If you can not accept it, please be quiet and let others benefit from it.

try the 100 ccs cases in usmlestep123 (http://www.usmleconsult.com/usmle-step-three/usmle-step-three.cfm). it is like doing ccs on the actual test and gives you a score. it is a good way to assess yourself.

I've also tried the book "ez pass step 3 ccs" (http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Pass-Step-CCS-Efficient/dp/1598247646). it has a mneumonic you can memorize for each type of ccs case and apply it to a case.

i did them both and it helps to know how to put in orders and how to do them correctly and in the right order, but on the real test i only scored a little above borderline performance on the ccs, so i dont know how good that is.

I've read through UW ccs cases too and they're okay.

i've heard archer's ccs are pretty good too but i've never tried them.

if anyone knows the best approach, do tell, because I am curious too.
thanks!

Last edited:

Please help me. I am new to this forum. I have same question. Archer says they are full for july 18 and can not accomodate. I have no choice but to do their payperview. Is it as good as live webinar?

im not doing well on ccs....i scored pretty awful on usmlesteps123.com...my score ranged anywhere from 25% to 80%.....but then again they only compare it to one way, while the real test has multiple ways to reach the answer.

anyone know the best way to study for ccs?

I did ********** and it's basically an explanation of all the ccs cases on the usmle.org software. i dont think that is enough for me.

how do people do well on step 3???

Thanks for any input!

turquoseblue, uw and ********** workshops are supposedly enough for ccs. Do the full archer course not just first three hours, only first three hours is basics. They have full course which is 22 hours. ********** actually has 60 cases in intensive prep that I am doing not just 5 cases on usmle cd. According to one of my friends, all his cases were from Archer list on their blog, practice all those they have on their list at www.usmlestep3blog.com The demonstrations are superb, every bit is important beginning from how to navigate, follow up cares, 5 min screen maximum utilization and later date tests. None of the courses are giving these strategies. Do not just limit usmlesteps123, that is not at all good for ccs according to my co-residents who took step 3. The best ones are uw and **********. Like you said there are multiple ways for one scenario and when you listen to archer, he demonstrates 6 cases from a single presentation of "altered mental status " and 10 cases from a single feature of chest pain scenario. This seems to be working for my theory also as my scores are really up now on qbanks. If you want to self practice, do uw software also. Some people also use shaher's cd. I have not heard any one using usmlesteps123.
Good luck

turquoseblue, uw and ********** workshops are supposedly enough for ccs. Do the full archer course not just first three hours, only first three hours is basics. They have full course which is 22 hours. ********** actually has 60 cases in intensive prep that I am doing not just 5 cases on usmle cd. According to one of my friends, all his cases were from Archer list on their blog, practice all those they have on their list at www.usmlestep3blog.com The demonstrations are superb, every bit is important beginning from how to navigate, follow up cares, 5 min screen maximum utilization and later date tests. None of the courses are giving these strategies. Do not just limit usmlesteps123, that is not at all good for ccs according to my co-residents who took step 3. The best ones are uw and **********. Like you said there are multiple ways for one scenario and when you listen to archer, he demonstrates 6 cases from a single presentation of "altered mental status " and 10 cases from a single feature of chest pain scenario. This seems to be working for my theory also as my scores are really up now on qbanks. If you want to self practice, do uw software also. Some people also use shaher's cd. I have not heard any one using usmlesteps123.
Good luck

thanks so much for the feedback dr. keller. i will try those.

Good luck

Where are these '60 cases' that you describe? I can't find them on the website you posted. I only saw a list of 99 high-yield cases. Are you given print-outs of these 60 cases if you participate in the live web session? Do you have a list of the 60 cases? If short on time, does anyone just listen to the lecture part and skip the 8+ hours with everyone practicing? Thanks in advance.

Good luck

for ********** workshop, which one is important to take and useful to take...live one or recorded one? I was told recorded many number cases how long is live workshop?I appreciate any guidance

for ********** workshop, which one is important to take and useful to take...live one or recorded one? I was told recorded many number cases how long is live workshop?I appreciate any guidance

So since I did not which one is better; I took Archer live CCS workshop on April 30th. It was immensely helpful; I did not know how to use the "5 mins remaining" time and how to put follow ups out patient, they are much clear now. I think ********** tips and approach are instrumental, and in retroscpect I see how many mistakes I have been making while practicing on UW. I agree this is great but the cons are it is a long workshop and you do it in a day and have no access to it later.
So, I purchased the Archer recorded streaming CCS, this is much longer than live, has 23 hours of cases shown with detailed approach and many more lively discussions than in the live workshop. So for newbies going for a slow CCS practice and learning, go for the Archer 23 hour recorded CCS than their live one. I prefer this one, just gives me more time to view and learn from case discussions.
For oldies who are ready for exam and want a one day crash course, go for the archer live workshop.

Thank you. I was wondering why CT scans are taking such as a long time in the ER on USMLEWORLD software. I have problem getting the surgeons to accept my cases as well on UW. It is true that my case approach changed because of this software errors and likely, contributed to my low score on the CCS on my last attempt. This software is adding so much to confusion. How would you practice so many cases on USMLE CD software? Is the USMLE CD same as the orientation software at www.usmle.org ?

Last edited:

I failed twice. My CCS score was very low this time. It left me wondering where the problem is as my average on Uworld is always high and I practiced the software thrice. My UWSA was 70%. I had the same questions about imaging, report times, surgery issues many times when practicing on UW but I put them off thinking that is a normal approach because UWorld gave it. As I got used to it, I think I repeated these errors on the exam.
Uworld is being promoted a lot everywhere by people with ulterior motives and some of us are falling a prey to it. Your post is a eye opener. What is your best recommendation on the method of CCS practice on NBME?
Thanks

Good luck

Thank you. The information I gathered from your suggestions is tremendously useful and my orientation to the software has totally changed.

Thank you. I was wondering why CT scans are taking such as a long time in the ER on USMLEWORLD software. I have problem getting the surgeons to accept my cases as well on UW. It is true that my case approach changed because of this software errors and likely, contributed to my low score on the CCS on my last attempt. This software is adding so much to confusion. How would you practice so many cases on USMLE CD software? Is the USMLE CD same as the orientation software at www.usmle.org ?

I failed twice. My CCS score was very low this time. It left me wondering where the problem is as my average on Uworld is always high and I practiced the software thrice. My UWSA was 70%. I had the same questions about imaging, report times, surgery issues many times when practicing on UW but I put them off thinking that is a normal approach because UWorld gave it. As I got used to it, I think I repeated these errors on the exam.
Uworld is being promoted a lot everywhere by people with ulterior motives and some of us are falling a prey to it. Your post is a eye opener. What is your best recommendation on the method of CCS practice on NBME?
Thanks
Damn it!

So how are we supposed to properly prepare for this thing?

Damn it!

So how are we supposed to properly prepare for this thing?

Follow drkeller's approach above and you can appreciate the difference. You will understand the CCS way better and will even be able to explain it to others. Practice cases on Primum software downloadable from www.usmle.org

ru an amg?
y no residency?

ur suspect

www.usmlesteps123.com
it is weird, and not exactly like the exam, but it is great for confidence, I recommend it.

Doing all the above, Archer, UW and MTB. Is there anything else new and should not missed prep out there that I should know?

This is from the UW website about their CCS software:

"While we have strived to create a software package that accurately reflects the official USMLE Step 3 Primum CCS, it is important to understand that we have no affiliation with the official USMLE Step 3 exam. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that the USMLEWorld case scenarios and software will respond to the actions of test takers in an identical manner to the official USMLE Step 3 Primum CCS exam."

Should that worry us?

Hi guys,
Thank you all for sharing this information. I have my Step 3 after 2 weeks.
Dose anyone able to let me know how can I get this USMLE CD. I have tried many search terms in google but I could not figure out how can I get it.
Thanks,

Thanks for this valuable post.
Would you please let me know how can I get this USMLE CD? I've tried different search terms in google but I could not figure out can I get it.
Thanks,

this is a good post, thank you.
ammarasban; just to let you know they used to send USMLE CD before but they do not send now , one can downlaod all practice materials at www.usmle.org

You can also use the free software to practice navigating other cases. The score would suck but navigating the cases (and orders) along with a good CCS book should be great practice.