Redoing AAMCs...good idea? What do u think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedDude

A dude that is premed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup y'all, just wondering if it is worth redoing the AAMC full-lengths again. I've done most of them last year (except a few), will it allow me to gain some significant insight? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i redid two tests in may that i took in march, and i found that i didnt remember any of the questions, so if you've taken them a year ago, its completely okay and valid if you retake them...

Should I retake FL X?

I don't suggest it for a few reasons. First, your score will be inflated. This alone negates the predictive power of the test. If you don't need it to gauge where you are, fine, retake them. For instance, you could simply be going over the problems again to, as others have mentioned, understand the thinking behind it. However, if you are using it as a practice FL, don't.

One of the most important aspects of a FL is that it's material you've never seen before. It forces you to quickly analyze an unknown passage, tap into your knowledge, and answer questions you've never seen. If you knew exactly what was going to be on the test, it would take away from the somewhat frantic experience of getting that weird passage. It also makes you more relaxed overall because you know what's coming. Unfortunately, you will not have the luxury of either on the test. You will have to deal with weird passages. You will have to get out of your comfort zone of knowing what's ahead.

Then, you get into the timing issues which you MUST get down before the test. When you have prior knowledge of the material, you miss the chance at gaining more experience with the clock. Too many people underestimate the effect of the timer. Again, you have to get used to it and retaking problems won't help.

Think of the whole thing like sports practice. Sure, you go over some standard plays again and again to get a feel for them. However, to practice for a real game, you have a scrimmage match or an exhibition game. The other team doesn't tell you what plays they're going to run. If they did, it would eliminate the usefulness of the scrimmage or exhibition game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Yeah, I think I will go over them in order to analyze how the AAMC likes to ask their questions and get more of a feel for the style of the exam. I won't be bogged by the score since its obviously not accurate.

Well how about this? What if you just took an MCAT exam recently (ie June 17th), got your score back, wasn't happy, and had taken every AAMC and TPR full length available? Which new full lengths do you do now if you want to re-prepare? (Kaplan? Do they release new AAMC's?) That might be my boat depending on how things go and I don't know what new material I can utilize to expose myself to new stuff again. I don't want to rely on taking paper passages from a book and a digital timer.

I'm going to retake them all. There is no way you will remember the questions from last year. Plus, even if the score is slightly inflated (but I don't think it will be that inflated), it is still your best practice resource.

Just make sure you spend some time on post-game analysis.

I just retook AAMC #9, which I took last year, and honestly didn't recognize a thing on it. (Then again, I had only taken the Bio section, but still.) It's been a long time since then, a lot of things go through your mind in a year, and I was looking at my exam as though I had just purchased it. So go ahead and take them again. But definitely do post-game analysis. And if you recognize an answer and you know it's right, make sure you can justify eliminating the other choices with well thought-out responses, thereby at least ensuring that you know the material you are being tested on.

Oops, I completely forgot this was an old thread. My bad people.

Last edited: