U-earth vs AAMC difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CloudBoi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I am only doing PS practice right now, but man, I usually get 50-60% correct per PS passage and I am getting a little scared. What is your thoughts on AAMC and U-Earth difficulty comparison

Members don't see this ad.

UWorld IMO is going to be a little more content heavy while AAMC will try to test critical thinking more. If I had to say which is harder, I'd probably still say AAMC, but don't let that discourage you. Use UWorld to find your knowledge gaps, and as long as you're learning and seeing improvement, then don't worry about it.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

The title says it all. I am only doing PS practice right now, but man, I usually get 50-60% correct per PS passage and I am getting a little scared. What is your thoughts on AAMC and U-Earth difficulty comparison
I think UWorld is harder for content and the official AAMC stuff is harder question logic. UWorld asks lots of questions that are psuedo-discrete. You have to memorize a lot of details and be able to reason through their (easier) question logic. The AAMC obviously expects you to still know a lot of stuff, but it isn't as random and low-yield as UWorld.

I wouldn't stress UWorld too much. It is very difficult and that is good. It means it is preparing you to do well on the actual test. I don't remember exactly, but I believe I was getting around 60-70% on my UWorld PS questions. I ended up getting a 131 on P/S on the real deal. I would also highly recommend reading the 86 or 300-page doc from KA. I did it the week before my test, and I honestly think it made a ton of difference for me.

Reactions: 1 user
The average UWorld question is harder than the average AAMC question, but the questions that stratify the 80th and especially 90th+ percentile scores on the real exam are going to be harder and probably require more critical thinking/analysis than UWorld.

For what it's worth, I did a few of the PS AAMC section bank passages like the week before my test date, thought they were extremely difficult (getting like 40-50% right), and stopped doing them because they were making me really discouraged and I didn't need that negativity in my life lol. I ended up scoring 131 in PS. The AAMC section bank seemed like it focused heavily on the critical thinking/analysis, whereas on the actual MCAT they did throw you a few bones with only needing to understand terms/concepts.

The only other studying for PS that I did was all the UWorld questions. Every time I missed a question because I didn't know the term/concept- I added it to my anki deck.