What the tech geeks thought of my faculty database idea.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsomerville

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far this summer I've spent countless hours narrowing down on a short list of Ph.D. programs to apply to (using the Insider's Guide and other resources). In this midst of this, I had an idea: What if all faculty research interests from APA-accredited clinical psych programs were stored in one text-searchable online database? Then students interested in "smoking cessation" or "adolescent psychopathology" could quickly find schools where someone was interested in those things. Combine that with the more readily-available GPA/GRE averages at those schools, and you're on your way to a very realistic handful of programs to apply to.

This wasn't a purely altruistic idea, of course. I thought maybe such a website could generate a little ad revenue. Maybe enough to support my book-buying/class-taking habits?

I posted this to my favorite tech blog, slashdot.org, and got lots of unflattering comments from confused geeks. They wondered why I wasn't just picking names from highly-cited research articles. Here's the link to the post (scroll down for the comments-- most of which are not particularly helpful, although there are a few nuggets of gold).

What's the studentdoctor.net consensus on this idea? Is it "yes, please, hurry up and build this already" or "hmmm, no thanks, I already have a list of faculty members I want to work with" ? Your comments are appreciated (and are likely to be more on target than what I got from the Slashdotters).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I didn't read your link. But, I am in the process and I only have access to PsycInfo when I'm working in the lab, not really time to cruise for mentors. I've been currently doing the research for mentors somewhat, it seems, inefficiently. I have the 2008/2009 Insider's so I look through programs that I think I'll meet their stats and that are funded. Then I go to their website and look at each faculty to see if there is someone I'm interested in.

I have to say some of the reseach at some of the schools is not at all what I expected it to be, based on some vague preconceived notion I had of the school or something.

Some off the top of my head ideas with your database idea, professors move. Plus, for it to be useful to me, it would have to include the other information about the program, like student stats, funding, avg. time to complete, etc.

The logistics make it tough.

1. Professors move.
2. Research shifts.
3. Accuracy of data and/or self-reports?\
4. Couldn't do on SDN if you hosted it 3rd party and/or had advertising (against TOS to essentially use SDN and/or membership for personal gain).

Members don't see this ad :)
Did not read your link, but from your short description my questions would be as follows:

Who are you expecting to build this tool? It costs time and money to build something like this and I'm just wondering who is going to foot the bill? Not to mention who will maintain it, provide the infrastructure, provide user support, etc?

Secondly, who is going to enter in the data initially and who is going to keep it up to date as professors and projects change? If you could get professors excited about this tool and convince them to keep their own profile up to date then great! But I have a feeling that most profs don't have a problem getting enough students applying to their programs so this would be just extra "busy work" for them with no real benefit. Also many profs are not technologically proficient and couldn't be bothered to learn. This is a serious problem because without current information this tool is pretty much useless.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but there are some major hurdles that would need to be overcome in order to make it a worthwhile project.

I'm currently looking for professors to work with as well and I have wished for this database you speak of. I would be ecstatic if it was created. However, because of several of the points previously made, it seems that such a project is unlikely to become a reality.

I got bored, so here is my 2 minute brainstorm.....

Building a script to search existing databases would be easier. Database owners tend to frown on uncompensated data mining, particularly if it takes away "uniques" from them, so you'd have a better shot at targeting public databases.

The trickiest part is writing an effective script that mines applicable data. This would take some trial and error, and you'd better hope the source doesn't change their system. Then you take that raw data and dump it into your own custom database with pre-set sorts and filters to clean up the data. Once you get a decent amount of data, you can then write a script to compare your original scrubbed data against "new" scrubbed data. It isn't perfect, but it'd get you probably 70% of the way there if you do everything right. A few more iterations of your script and you'd eventually fill in the holes and have a workable setup.

The most obvious limitation is that you are assuming your source has access to enough publication sources....which tends to be hit and miss. You also lack a sufficient market to make this a viable option. The above isn't overly complex if you have a programming and database background, but it'd cost WAY too much if you had to hire someone.

A better approach would be to target specific research areas, identify an additional way to sell/market the data, and then use your initial funding to build out other subject databases.

Simple, no?

:D

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but there are some major hurdles that would need to be overcome in order to make it a worthwhile project.

Agreed-- but before I get hung up on how to do it I'd like to know if it's wanted/needed. You're absolutely right that researchers have no motivation to update their profiles. But students could be bothered to enter updated info-- especially if that were a hoop to jump through before being granted access to the database. Or it could be a much more open, friendly, web 2.0 arrangement (Help us keep this thing up to date! Win kudos, badges, gold stars for doing so!) And so forth.

My point being, the feasibility of the project is separate from its viability-- right now I'm wondering how others are approaching the program research phase, and if having a searchable list of faculty research interests would be a significant timesaver or not.

Agreed-- but before I get hung up on how to do it I'd like to know if it's wanted/needed. You're absolutely right that researchers have no motivation to update their profiles. But students could be bothered to enter updated info-- especially if that were a hoop to jump through before being granted access to the database. Or it could be a much more open, friendly, web 2.0 arrangement (Help us keep this thing up to date! Win kudos, badges, gold stars for doing so!) And so forth.

My point being, the feasibility of the project is separate from its viability-- right now I'm wondering how others are approaching the program research phase, and if having a searchable list of faculty research interests would be a significant timesaver or not.

Absolutely a good idea. As an ug that would have been immensely helpful.
Good luck

However, because of several of the points previously made, it seems that such a project is unlikely to become a reality.

Well, with that kind of attitude it will never become a reality! ;)

In all seriousness, it does seem like a fairly enormous project. A point made in the Slashdot comments is that this is a once-in-a-lifetime problem-- users for this service have an intense need for it in the months leading up to application deadlines, then never need it again.

Part of my motivation for this is a desire to see students applying to programs less haphazardly. It would be really cool to link something like the "mentor finder" with a "criteria matcher." In this scenario you would enter your GRE scores, undergrad GPA, research interests, and other relevant data into a prompt and get back a list of 10 schools that you might actually have a chance of getting into. That's kind of what the Insider's Guide does, only it's in book-form-- it's not customizable/searchable, so you spend a lot of time reading about programs you're not interested in or that are out of your reach.

Building a script to search existing databases would be easier.

Love it! While there are limitations on how the data can be structured in this approach, I agree that it's way easier than building & maintaining a separate database.

Thanks for the brainstorm-- maybe this thread will lure in someone who has just enough time & talent to cobble together a working prototype. Unfortunately my programming skills are limited to the BASIC I learned on my Apple II in the early 1980s. :)

Well, with that kind of attitude it will never become a reality! ;)

Haha sorry for the pessimism. Honestly, I think its a great idea. If I had that right now it would be awesome and I probably would pay money for it. But I wouldn't pay that much money for it lol. I think its possible that you could get some sort of database but it will have a lot of kinks. I just wonder if the "kinks" you have to face will outweigh the interest of the potential market (e.g. This is a good service but with its flaws I'm better off looking myself for free)

Haha sorry for the pessimism. Honestly, I think its a great idea. If I had that right now it would be awesome and I probably would pay money for it. But I wouldn't pay that much money for it lol. I think its possible that you could get some sort of database but it will have a lot of kinks. I just wonder if the "kinks" you have to face will outweigh the interest of the potential market (e.g. This is a good service but with its flaws I'm better off looking myself for free)
This is why we haven't seen it yet. Good idea though.

You could just create a wiki where people can add info as they come across it, and edit as needed. This would obviously not generate revenue, and would be completely user driven. But it would be helpful. Plenty of disciplines do this for the academic job market.