DAT Done 8/2. I took Kaplan Online Course.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TK2006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Disclaimer: I will maintain the confidentiality of the DAT.

PA 21 (92.2)
QR 22 (95.7)*
RC 26 (99.1)
BIO 26 (99.6)
GC 27 (99.0)
OC 30 (100.0)
TS 28 (99.9)
AA 26 (99.9)

*I didn't reach my full potential on QR on the real test because the eraser that I received was really low quality. I had to swipe 6-7 times really hard to erase every time. This made me lose a lot of time on QR.

Study Schedule
I studied for 5hrs a day for the first 1.5 months. Then I studied 10+ hrs a day in the last month before the test. Total study time: 2.5 months.

Prep Material

1. Kaplan Online Course
- I took the online course to take advantage of all the online material they offered. It's solid all around. This course was a graduation gift from my parents. I studied actively: I took my own notes. By the time I was done, I had about 100 pages of my own notes. I went through ALL of the online subject tests and quizzes 3 times.

2. TopScore
- Good overall. I believe TopScore is really outdated in their format. I think they desperately need an update.

3. DAT Destroyer
- Good practice for GC and Orgo. Used for extra prep. I went through it 3 times. Master the GC and Orgo here and I think you can do supremely on the real thing! :thumbup:

4. Crack DAT PAT
- My CDP scores for the 7 test that I took were as follows: 22, 22, 23, 23, 26, 28, 25. CDP had a pattern that I spotted and I aced CDP easily. You be the judge on these scores and their integrity. I really do think I could've spent my time elsewhere for the better.

5. Campbell's Biology Textbook, Orgo Textbook, my orgo reaction notes from Orgo I/II in college, YouTube, Wiki
- I referenced these whenever things weren't clear. Dynamic studying was key for me.

Test Numbers

I'm sure you'd be interested in these. This data is from only one person's (mine) experience, so take it with a grain of salt, please.

Kaplan Midterm (halfway through course)
PA 21 / AA 19

Kaplan Final (I finished the course and reviewed intensely. I had finished Destroyer once already prior to this. Kaplan Final was the first of the battery of 7 practice tests that I took in the span of two weeks leading up to the real test.)
PA 22 / AA 24

Kaplan Test 1
PA 25 / AA 23

Kaplan Test 2
PA 25 / AA 25

Kaplan Test 3
PA 23 / AA 23

TopScore 1
PA 24 / AA 22

TopScore 2
PA 25 / AA 24

TopScore 3
PA 24 / AA 23

Closing Remarks
The DAT is a hard test; however, if you put in the hard work, you will be surprised by what you can do. When I was done with the test, I thought I had only scored about a 20 on the test (I was shooting for 25+). I was really surprised to see the score. I think studying hard really paid off with some luck.

Good luck to everybody! Study hard and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
before i congratulate you, can you show proof of your score plz :)

you sound like a kaplan rep to me :)

Yeah I'll have to second that... apparently there's a lot of b-s-ing going on on here. Otherwise, nice work, can't imagine that score, good job

I can see how I seem like a Kaplan rep. I don't want to scan my unofficial score card because that'd be sacrificing my privacy.

I will edit my previous post to make it sound unbiased. I apologize!:(

I just saw a lot of Kaplan bashing posts while I was studying for the DAT. It scared me a lot. I mainly wrote this to encourage those who are already taking Kaplan course to push on and not be distracted by those on SDN too much!

SDN had me really paranoid before the test! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can see how I seem like a Kaplan rep. I don't want to scan my unofficial score card because that'd be sacrificing my privacy.

I will edit my previous post to make it sound unbiased. I apologize!:(

I just saw a lot of Kaplan bashing posts while I was studying for the DAT. It scared me a lot. I mainly wrote this to encourage those who are already taking Kaplan course to push on and not be distracted by those on SDN too much!

SDN had me really paranoid before the test! :oops:

Privacy hmm? You already posted all of your scores...
Scan the report and cut out your name and stuff. Just leave the scores in.

#2 your post did not seem like you said anything great about kaplan. You used the same materials as everyone else here does (destroyer, topscore). You even read the campbells book and your orgo textbook. Don't you think you could have scored as high without the kaplan course?

Also most people agree the online course materials are good and difficult, but are too expensive.
The in class course most people agree is useless though.

Anyway nice scores, but you did seem like a kaplan rep.

I call Bull Shiz. Seriously. If you do happen to post a photoshopped score sheet, be warned...theres some insanely inquisitive people on this board that will figure it out and crucify you.

If I am wrong. Congrats you maniac!

Last edited:
Privacy hmm? You already posted all of your scores...
Scan the report and cut out your name and stuff. Just leave the scores in.

#2 your post did not seem like you said anything great about kaplan. You used the same materials as everyone else here does (destroyer, topscore). You even read the campbells book and your orgo textbook. Don't you think you could have scored as high without the kaplan course?

Also most people agree the online course materials are good and difficult, but are too expensive.
The in class course most people agree is useless though.

Anyway nice scores, but you did seem like a kaplan rep.

Sorry! I didn't mean to sound like that!

Of course I would have rather purchased all the online material separately if there were such an option! I think Kaplan's online lectures are useless. I think I mainly paid a 1000 dollars for online quizzes, tests, workshops, and good explanations all around. It's a steep price, but like I said, it was a graduation gift! :) I'm sure there is a better alternative to Kaplan!!!

I just feel like anyone who's taking the online course right now (those who've already made the purchase) should just try their best with the decisions they've made and push through! I probably would have done just as well without Kaplan, I agree (maybe like not the current scores because I probably got really lucky!:luck:)

I do agree that Destroyer's extra practice on GC and OC were golden. It probably gave me the extra edge!

I call Bull Shiz. Seriously. If you do happen to post a photoshopped score sheet, be warned...theres some insanely inquisitive people on this board that will figure it out and crucify you.

If I am wrong. Congrats you maniac!

Thank you. I understand that this is a pretty nice score...

The last paragraph on the unofficial score sheet says that "Before official DAT scores are distributed to dental schools, the DAT program audits all responses to items in order to confirm the accuracy of scores." (Verbatim).

As soon as the official scores are confirmed (granted they confirm my unofficial scores), I'll scan it and put it on for you guys to see. I really would like to be friends with everybody here.:xf:

Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited:
agreee with OP. People taking Kaplan courses make sure U concentrate on your class schedule and instead of using multiple resources, stick to few and study hard!

Great scores, man. FYI you never see your official scores unless you pay for a report to be sent to yourself. I believe around here it is common knowledge/accepted that unofficial should = official scores save for extreme cases.

Thank you. I understand that this is a pretty nice score...

The last paragraph on the unofficial score sheet says that "Before official DAT scores are distributed to dental schools, the DAT program audits all responses to items in order to confirm the accuracy of scores." (Verbatim).

As soon as the official scores are confirmed (granted they confirm my unofficial scores), I'll scan it and put it on for you guys to see. I really would like to be friends with everybody here.:xf:

Thanks for all the responses!

Lol all the respones have been people doubting your scores.

Great scores, man. FYI you never see your official scores unless you pay for a report to be sent to yourself. I believe around here it is common knowledge/accepted that unofficial should = official scores save for extreme cases.

Thanks for the heads up! I just want it to be confirmed on the AADSAS webpage.

Lol all the respones have been people doubting your scores.

I understand where they are coming from. It's the Internet and anybody could be anybody.

I think I just got really luck on the test!

Prep Material

1. Kaplan Online Course
- I took the online course to take advantage of all the online material they offered. It's solid all around. This course was a graduation gift from my parents. I studied actively: I took my own notes. By the time I was done, I had about 100 pages of my own notes. I went through ALL of the online subject tests and quizzes 3 times.

Good luck to everybody! Study hard and good luck!

Why'd you wait until after you graduate to take the test? Did you want a year break or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey! not sure why a lot of people are not believing you - but i do! i took the test on the same day and have similar scores as yours so as much as it's not believable, it is possible. The reason it is possible is because we have such good resources (kaplan, chad, destroyer, cdp..etc) and if you study hard enough (and probably add some luck with that!), it is possible to do well. Good job and good luck with the application process! :)

hey! not sure why a lot of people are not believing you - but i do! i took the test on the same day and have similar scores as yours so as much as it's not believable, it is possible. The reason it is possible is because we have such good resources (kaplan, chad, destroyer, cdp..etc) and if you study hard enough (and probably add some luck with that!), it is possible to do well. Good job and good luck with the application process! :)

call me jealous but i still think this post is BS. OP is clearly a kaplan rep (see thread title, disclaimer, and first listed study resource). OP 's reasons for not scanning his/her score report are also BS. :eyebrow:

we all know kaplan is a waste of money.

call me jealous but i still think this post is BS. OP is clearly a kaplan rep (see thread title, disclaimer, and first listed study resource). OP 's reasons for not scanning his/her score report are also BS. :eyebrow:

Lol yea add in the fact that the account was made basically right after people started to bash Kaplan courses and that they happened to take the DAT at the same time. I believe almost everybodys high scores on here, just not this one.

I believe the OP. If the OP did well in his/her science classes and is a good test taker, he/she could have done this well relying mainly on Kaplan. The OP obviously put in a lot of hours of studying and knew his/her stuff.

uclaDDS101 "thought [Kaplan] was sufficient"

Nobody's saying its not possible to do that well with only Kaplan, it just seems sketchy considering everything else

Why'd you wait until after you graduate to take the test? Did you want a year break or something?

I had a really good full time research position at dental school as a junior and I just didn't have the time to study for the DAT during my Junior summer. I also wanted to take a little break before starting dental school!

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

I believe the OP. If the OP did well in his/her science classes and is a good test taker, he/she could have done this well relying mainly on Kaplan. The OP obviously put in a lot of hours of studying and knew his/her stuff.

I busted my butt studying and I probably did get lucky on the test. I also tried really hard in college, too. ;)

Nobody's saying its not possible to do that well with only Kaplan, it just seems sketchy considering everything else

I'm sorry you guys feel this way about me, but I totally understand, so I do not blame you. I'd feel the same way about me if I were you, as well.

I don't think Kaplan alone will get you into high 20's. I just think it gave me a really good base upon which to build everything else. So Kaplan is not necessary for a good score; I just liked it a lot. That's all.

If I had the chance, I would probably had gone with Cliff's Bio and Chad's videos since everyone here raves about them. I would have also saved the thousand dollars toward something else! It was just a gift, so I used it to its full potential.

All the best.

congrats! you have some awesome scores...

Kevin, I know you are taking the course, too. Just focus on that and other supplemtal on top of it to get you extra practice, and you will be just fine!

Good luck on your test!:luck:

Hey i was wondering if any method for anglesand TFE .Please help me dude am having hard time with these sections of the PAT.:)