Not exactly sure what I'm looking for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Total180

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I am applying to med school this year. I have taken the MCAT twice with the exact same score (26-11V, 9B, 6PS <--:(). Originally when I got the second score back I was pretty upset, and I wasn't going to apply at all this year, but I decided to apply to a few state schools, and some schools with lower stats whose mission statement matches what I want to do. I am a caucasian female, but I was a Spanish major, and I have a lot of experience working with the Hispanic population, and my application is geared around how I want to work with the underserved in the future. I would say I have really unique and pretty good EC's (I was also a theatre major for 2 years and have a ton of teaching experience along with my medical/underserved EC's). After I got my second MCAT score back I made a plan about how I would apply to a few schools this year, retake the MCAT in January, and if I didn't get in (to MD schools) I would reapply to DO and MD next year. This was because of my dad. He is a radiologist (MD) and so ridiculously hardcore against DO's that I don't even know where to start with him. I made the decision today that it was stupid to not cover all my bases this year and apply to both, and that I really didn't want to have to possibly take 2 years off (or more) trying to get into MD schools when I could get into a DO school for next fall. But I just had that conversation with my dad, and it just never ends well. Tonight he said "I know more about this than you do...I have been training a DO for the past couple of weeks and they don't learn real medicine...they learn voodoo science!" (not my words). Then he proceeded to say that DOs weren't doctors. He said, "Why don't you just do what it takes once in your life, and make it happen!" I just am so disheartened after this conversation (I couldn't even get a word in to talk about match lists, and how not everyone is like whoever he was working with) that I don't know what to do. I know most of you are going to tell me to man up, and that I'm an adult and I should do want I want, which is also what he said (but that he doesn't support it), but I have always been really close to my dad....and I don't want to ruin our relationship. Not to mention he still helps me financially, and probably would help me (not pay for the whole thing) through med school. I am just so broken down from our conversation. I have finished the AACOMAS application, and I know it is getting late, and I have to make a decision like yesterday about this. I'm sorry for the crazy long post...I don't even know what I am looking for in terms of advice, I just...I don't even know.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a tough situation. I say do what you feel is right in your heart and if that means applying DO, then apply DO and become the best physician you can be, and show your dad what you've been trying to tell him all along. Like they say, actions speak louder than words.

Good luck man! I wish you the best

No disrespect to your father but I think you should go ahead and apply to DO medical schools. Before I decided to do DO, I thought of it as the easier path to becoming a doctor. After doing some research into the history of DOs, I realized that they can be as good or even better than MDs. The basically learn the same things MDs learn and they also have the additional knowledge of OMT.

Besides that, DOs can apply to MD residencies after medical school if that helps you decide haha.

Either way, your going to become a doctor and your father isn't going to be there practicing with you. If you are determined, you can become a DO and surpass these MDs that think they are better than the rest

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree. I have been around these forums enough to know that there is no difference, and I know it's irrational, but I just don't know if I would be happy knowing that my dad thinks I'm not a real doctor for the rest of my life...

I totally agree. I have been around these forums enough to know that there is no difference, and I know it's irrational, but I just don't know if I would be happy knowing that my dad thinks I'm not a real doctor for the rest of my life...

Sorry but that's a load of bull. Don't be so hard on yourself. IMHO, what you do with your life is your decision. MD or DO it doesn't matter what road you take. Doctors are too busy to care who went to what school or received whatever degree. What does matter is what your patients think of you and whether or not you're a contributing person to the profession.

Instead of you worrying about your dad thinking you're not a real doctor, your dad should be the one worried that his son/daughter believes he's irrational and bigoted.

I speak only for myself. Even though my dad never pushed me into any field or kept me from studying anything I wanted, I wouldn't care one bit if he thought negatively of my choice of profession. My life. If he wants to be a part of it and proud of me, that's on him. It's not my responsibility to get his approval.

I am in a similar situation with my parents and end of the day you need to do what is best for you. If you are a hardworker and bright then it will show through medschool, residency, and in your career as a physician, whether as a DO or MD. It's a shame that your father will be so disappointed in you but you aren't going into medicine for his approval (or at least I'd hope so); Ultimately, this is your decision and you need to do whatever it takes to get you there. I really know how you feel, but come on, isn't it a bit ridiculous for your father to be ashamed of you for being a doctor (just not with the letters he wants)? It's not as if you're turning tricks on the side or pursuing some deadend path.

I agree with the other posters on your situation. You really have to ask yourself are you going to medical for your dad or for yourself? Because if you're going to medical school for yourself then you need to make your own decisions about YOUR future. When you are making decisions about YOUR future you are the only one that has the ultimate and final say in what you should do. Input from your family and friends are just that input only. If you're father is willing to through away the relationship both have because you chose to make your own decision and path to success, then he's the one whose going to be loosing out and not you. Good Luck.

That's a really tough one. I know how it is to be close to your parents and not wanting to let them down, even if their ways of thinking can be wrong or differ from your own. Like everyone else, I think you should follow what you want to do because you don't want to make crucial life decisions based on other people's stigmas. And if DO really ends up being the route you take, then it will be a long process, but you should be able to convince your dad to see the truth. 10 years from now, hopefully he will have changed his mind and realize he was wrong. Good luck. :)

Hey everyone, so I am applying to med school this year. I have taken the MCAT twice with the exact same score (26-11V, 9B, 6PS <--:(). Originally when I got the second score back I was pretty upset, and I wasn't going to apply at all this year, but I decided to apply to a few state schools, and some schools with lower stats whose mission statement matches what I want to do. I am a caucasian female, but I was a Spanish major, and I have a lot of experience working with the Hispanic population, and my application is geared around how I want to work with the underserved in the future. I would say I have really unique and pretty good EC's (I was also a theatre major for 2 years and have a ton of teaching experience along with my medical/underserved EC's). After I got my second MCAT score back I made a plan about how I would apply to a few schools this year, retake the MCAT in January, and if I didn't get in (to MD schools) I would reapply to DO and MD next year. This was because of my dad. He is a radiologist (MD) and so ridiculously hardcore against DO's that I don't even know where to start with him. I made the decision today that it was stupid to not cover all my bases this year and apply to both, and that I really didn't want to have to possibly take 2 years off (or more) trying to get into MD schools when I could get into a DO school for next fall. But I just had that conversation with my dad, and it just never ends well. Tonight he said "I know more about this than you do...I have been training a DO for the past couple of weeks and they don't learn real medicine...they learn voodoo science!" (not my words). Then he proceeded to say that DOs weren't doctors. He said, "Why don't you just do what it takes once in your life, and make it happen!" I just am so disheartened after this conversation (I couldn't even get a word in to talk about match lists, and how not everyone is like whoever he was working with) that I don't know what to do. I know most of you are going to tell me to man up, and that I'm an adult and I should do want I want, which is also what he said (but that he doesn't support it), but I have always been really close to my dad....and I don't want to ruin our relationship. Not to mention he still helps me financially, and probably would help me (not pay for the whole thing) through med school. I am just so broken down from our conversation. I have finished the AACOMAS application, and I know it is getting late, and I have to make a decision like yesterday about this. I'm sorry for the crazy long post...I don't even know what I am looking for in terms of advice, I just...I don't even know.
do what you feel like doing.

Thanks everyone. I was really upset when I wrote that post because I had just talked to him. I am definitely not going into medicine for either of my parents...my dad even said he never wanted any of his children to become doctors! But I came to the decision on my own and he has supported me through it. I am going to apply to DO schools because I know it is the best thing for me. It would be dumb to take another year off (I already graduated 2 years late and am applying this year-after graduation) and even though I know I am still young, the time issue is weighing on me and I just want to get my life going in the direction I want it to go! I hate being in limbo working some research tech job, and I really don't want to tackle the MCAT again. But, no one has ever stood up to my dad (at least no one in my family save for maybe my mom, and they are now divorced), and he needs to know he can't control me anymore and that I am an adult. It is a precarious situation though because I really don't want to ruin our relationship over it. Him and his dad haven't spoken since I was born because of a very stupid fight, and I don't want that to happen to us...Anyway, I think he will come around eventually...just how long is the question...

If going the DO route ruins your relationship with your father, you weren't as close to him as you thought you were.

i've definitely come across some negativity within my own family about it so I definitely know how you feel. A lot of people just don't know and it sounds like your dad is generalizing based on his one experience with a DO.

some of my family members were definitely surprised when i layed out the curriculum which was similar to MD schools. if you get into a DO school and plan on taking the USMLE, the boards are definitely a great equalizer if your dad still has doubts

if anything, he can't possibly still be disappointed in you if your making $200,000 a year working as an ER physician or something

don't let it get you down, i just laugh because I know they're being ignorant

and lastly, i personally feel DOs are gonna become more common in the next couple of years as more people, such as you, are realizing they can apply to DO schools in addition to MDs. with the growing number of medical schools, focus on primary care, and lessening of foreign medical graduate acceptances to residency spots, DO applications are gonna rise. (this is all opinion based on what I've learned, read, and experienced so i might be off base with this, but its how i personally feel)

LOL I dont even know what to say.

No offense, but if you are getting a 26 both times you take the MCAT there is a significant chance you wont break 30 :(

There is no shame in going to a DO school. There is no difference in the education. Yeah perhaps a little (key word) OMM is thrown in there...but all the basic science/rotation stuff is the same. Most DO schools recognize that OMM isnt the wave of the future, and teach it, but the emphasis isnt really so great (at least at my school).

Granted I dont know your father, but if hes that much of a hater about DOs, hes obviously got some of his own psych issues going on. Furthermore if your father is willing to throw out his relationship with you based on where you choose to become a DOCTOR, his opinion isnt worth listening to.

The AOA keeps accrediting more and more campuses. By 2015, they project graduating 4,000 DOs compared to the 16k MD. Eventually the Caribbean will likely die out completely because the demand of physicians will be me by DO programs. It's truly a good move for everyone. More students will be able to stay on homeland, and we will have very little doubt as to the validity of the education they received; the accusation usually being that the Caribbean teaches to pass the USMLE and not to actually become a physician.

i've definitely come across some negativity within my own family about it so I definitely know how you feel. A lot of people just don't know and it sounds like your dad is generalizing based on his one experience with a DO.

some of my family members were definitely surprised when i layed out the curriculum which was similar to MD schools. if you get into a DO school and plan on taking the USMLE, the boards are definitely a great equalizer if your dad still has doubts

if anything, he can't possibly still be disappointed in you if your making $200,000 a year working as an ER physician or something

don't let it get you down, i just laugh because I know they're being ignorant

and lastly, i personally feel DOs are gonna become more common in the next couple of years as more people, such as you, are realizing they can apply to DO schools in addition to MDs. with the growing number of medical schools, focus on primary care, and lessening of foreign medical graduate acceptances to residency spots, DO applications are gonna rise. (this is all opinion based on what I've learned, read, and experienced so i might be off base with this, but its how i personally feel)

Thanks everyone. I was really upset when I wrote that post because I had just talked to him. I am definitely not going into medicine for either of my parents...my dad even said he never wanted any of his children to become doctors! But I came to the decision on my own and he has supported me through it. I am going to apply to DO schools because I know it is the best thing for me. It would be dumb to take another year off (I already graduated 2 years late and am applying this year-after graduation) and even though I know I am still young, the time issue is weighing on me and I just want to get my life going in the direction I want it to go! I hate being in limbo working some research tech job, and I really don't want to tackle the MCAT again. But, no one has ever stood up to my dad (at least no one in my family save for maybe my mom, and they are now divorced), and he needs to know he can't control me anymore and that I am an adult. It is a precarious situation though because I really don't want to ruin our relationship over it. Him and his dad haven't spoken since I was born because of a very stupid fight, and I don't want that to happen to us...Anyway, I think he will come around eventually...just how long is the question...

Love it :thumbup:. I wish you the best of luck this cycle!

Reading this post made me realize how glad I am that my parents don't care about whether I get an MD or a DO. In fact, after I explained what a DO is to my dad, he thought it was truly the cat's meow.

I can see where your dad was coming from with the voodoo magic belief though. Something like 85% of all DOs practice in moonlit caves using power crystals and magical ritualistic spells. I read that somewhere, he probably read the same article.