Chances of BS/MD Program

yjlee0331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a junior at Seoul International School in Seoul, Korea, and I would like to know what you think of my chances of getting into a BS/MD program, especially if you have been accepted to one!

Here are my stats:

GPA: 4.0 unweighted
Class Rank: I think I'm 1 or 2 right now, but that could change.

SAT 1: 2250 total - 730 CR 770 M 750 W
SAT 2: 800 Biology E, I'm taking Math IIC and Chemistry in October and I'm expecting 780-800 on both, and I'm taking Chinese in November

APs:
AP World History: 5
AP Chinese: 5
I'm currently taking AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition and AP US History.
I'm planning to take AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB, AP Psychology next year. I'm deciding between AP Environmental Science and AP Literature.

Extracurriculars:
Volunteering at a local hospital
Internship at the virology lab under a professor at the Catholic University of Korea
Founder and President of the Red Cross Youth Chapter at my school
Copy Editor for Scientia, the school's science magazine
Copy Editor for Tiger Times, the school's official newspaper
Assistant Editor for Seoulite, a Model United Nations publication in Seoul
Level Secretary during my freshman year
Ladies' Choir--alto and pianist (played for 10 years)
Captain of Varsity Cross Country Team
Varsity Basketball since freshman year
Quill and Scroll Journalism Honor Society

Awards:
Debate 3rd place overall in freshman year
HSK Chinese Proficiency Test Level B
Music Theory Level 5 awarded by the Association of the Royal Boards of Music
Most Improved Player for Cross Country 2009
Science Award during freshman year
Academic honor rolls since freshman year every semester

I am aspiring to get into the Rice/Baylor, USC, Rochester or Brown PLME programs. What factors are most important? I've also heard that the PLME program is not as comprehensive/recognized; is this true?

I also am planning to apply to Princeton, Harvard and MIT. I also want to apply to Caltech but I feel that I haven't done well enough in math, nor do I have math-related activities....

Does the fact that I'm Canadian hurt my chances of being accepted into a guaranteed medical program?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm currently a junior at Seoul International School in Seoul, Korea, and I would like to know what you think of my chances of getting into a BS/MD program, especially if you have been accepted to one!

Here are my stats:

GPA: 4.0 unweighted great
Class Rank: I think I'm 1 or 2 right now, but that could change. great

SAT 1: 2250 total - 730 CR 770 M 750 W this score will be the minimum for HPME, but it will not hold you back much from anywhere.
SAT 2: 800 Biology E, I'm taking Math IIC and Chemistry in October and I'm expecting 780-800 on both, and I'm taking Chinese in Novembergood

APs:
AP World History: 5
AP Chinese: 5
I'm currently taking AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition and AP US History.
I'm planning to take AP Statistics, AP Calculus AB, AP Psychology next year. I'm deciding between AP Environmental Science and AP Literature.AP Env. Sci. is probably the easiest course I have ever seen. I would choose Lit if I were you, it will help your SAT CR score, which seems to be your lowest.

Extracurriculars:all of your EC's are very good and really show dedication. they will only help your app.
Volunteering at a local hospital
Internship at the virology lab under a professor at the Catholic University of Korea
Founder and President of the Red Cross Youth Chapter at my school
Copy Editor for Scientia, the school's science magazine
Copy Editor for Tiger Times, the school's official newspaper
Assistant Editor for Seoulite, a Model United Nations publication in Seoul
Level Secretary during my freshman year
Ladies' Choir--alto and pianist (played for 10 years)
Captain of Varsity Cross Country Team
Varsity Basketball since freshman year
Quill and Scroll Journalism Honor Society

Awards:wow
Debate 3rd place overall in freshman year
HSK Chinese Proficiency Test Level B
Music Theory Level 5 awarded by the Association of the Royal Boards of Music
Most Improved Player for Cross Country 2009
Science Award during freshman year
Academic honor rolls since freshman year every semester

I am aspiring to get into the Rice/Baylor, USC, Rochester or Brown PLME programs. What factors are most important? I've also heard that the PLME program is not as comprehensive/recognized; is this true? PLME is arguably the second most competitive bs/md program (hpme being first, then probably Rice/Baylor or PLME.) However, this is mostly because of its ivy league status. Honestly, Brown's medical school seems like nothing special. It is completely recognized like every other medical school in America, though. Rochester's program is extremely small, so giving chances for it is impossible (I think <10 are accepted each year.) I think your best bet is for the USC bs/md. It is a pretty flexible program, and their admission requirements are RELATIVELY easier. (Relatively easier in the case of Bs/md admissions is still having extremely competitive scores.) They also give out presidential scholarships to all bs/md acceptees. I don't know much about Rice/Baylor.

I also am planning to apply to Princeton, Harvard and MIT. I also want to apply to Caltech but I feel that I haven't done well enough in math, nor do I have math-related activities....
No one will ever be able to give you chances for the ultra competitive schools like Princeton and Harvard. Your scores and Ec's are probably good enough, but beyond that, who knows?
Does the fact that I'm Canadian hurt my chances of being accepted into a guaranteed medical program?not at all, but the fact that you aren't an american citizen might.

Thank you!
you look really competitive, especially after completing only 2 years of HS. Keep doing what you are doing, raise your SAT scores a little, win some more awards, and you should hopefully get in somewhere. However, if you are dead set on coming to the US for medical school or college, I would really apply to some safety schools (see note on princeton and harvard admissions).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you indya for replying to this message! I was really worried/lost for a while...
But do SAT scores really play that much of a difference in the admission process? I was going to retake mine but my counselor at school is so opposed to it and he told me to do something else with my time... I understand they're all slightly below average for the PLME program but will retaking do any substantial good? Also, what would be some good safety schools regarding my case? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING!

It could happen. It depends 1000x more on your answer to the question "why do you want to be a doctor" than anything you could do to your SAT score. I would not retake it.

Bumpppp.
I was hoping more people would reply to this but oh well~
Indya and lord jeebus, thank you for your help!