iowa c/o 2015 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellehan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who else is applying to iowa this year??!! the first set of interviews is pretty early, i don't know about everyone else, but i am a little nervous....!!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to Iowa! I'm already so nervous...and I haven't even heard anything yet! haha
Are you IS or OOS?

i'm OOS! what are you??

has anyone else received a confirmation email that they received your supp app? when i check my status it says "You have finalized your supplemental application." but thats it?? is that what it says for everyone else??

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm OOS! what are you??

has anyone else received a confirmation email that they received your supp app? when i check my status it says "You have finalized your supplemental application." but thats it?? is that what it says for everyone else??

I'm OOS as well. Good luck to all the OOSers!

I have not received a confirmation email yet, just that my application has been finalized on the status thing.

I'm OOS too. I'm pretty sure those really early interviews are for IS only, considering they had to turn in their applications a month earlier than us.

I'm OOS too. I'm pretty sure those really early interviews are for IS only, considering they had to turn in their applications a month earlier than us.

Boo, you're probably right. Kind of disappointed, but also glad because that means I'm not allowed to anticipate too much at least for the first interview set. But I hate that they have multiple rounds, dragging through each one waiting for some sort of notice won't be too much fun...

Boo, you're probably right. Kind of disappointed, but also glad because that means I'm not allowed to anticipate too much at least for the first interview set. But I hate that they have multiple rounds, dragging through each one waiting for some sort of notice won't be too much fun...

I was a little disappointed, too, when I realized that was probably the case. I have a few friends that all applied to medical schools much earlier this year and are already doing interviews/awaiting interviews. I'm glad vet schools don't have rolling admissions, but I also wish I could be getting results back already! Eek!

Iowa is one of my schools. No confirmation e-mail yet.
I'm relieved to be done with their application. :)

I applied as an OOS. No word yet. I am a little concerned my VMCAS status still says not received, sending Brenda a quick email.

Hi Guys!
I'm here as a VM1 at Iowa state so if anyone has any questions please let me know.

Yes the first interview invites are for IS. I had to wait for the very end of OOS interview invites and it was a torturous process so try not to freak out too much all!

I applied as an OOS. No word yet. I am a little concerned my VMCAS status still says not received, sending Brenda a quick email.

It showed all of my stuff (VMCAS, transcripts, GRE scores) as not received yet, and I sent Kathy an email yesterday. She got back to me this morning and said that they had thousands of transcripts and stuff get there, most of them right at the deadline, so they should have everything in within the next 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch! I just saw they posted the gpa's they calculated for me, and somehow they have my req'd science courses as a 3.16! That's sooo much lower than my own and any other school's calculation. I wonder what's up. :(

Ouch! I just saw they posted the gpa's they calculated for me, and somehow they have my req'd science courses as a 3.16! That's sooo much lower than my own and any other school's calculation. I wonder what's up. :(

They haven't calculated my GPAs yet, but they didn't get my transcrips until right before or right on the deadline. When did you send them your transcripts? (Just wondering how long it takes from when they get your transcripts to when they calculate your GPAs)

They haven't calculated my GPAs yet, but they didn't get my transcrips until right before or right on the deadline. When did you send them your transcripts? (Just wondering how long it takes from when they get your transcripts to when they calculate your GPAs)

My transcripts went out at the end of July.

Same here. I just checked and they received my transcripts on the 22nd of September so I'm expecting it to take another couple of weeks before anything shows up on my account.

I think it'll take them quite a while. They received my transcript Aug 2 and still nothing here about calculated GPAs..

It shows everything as received on my supplemental home page, except the VMCAS. However, I KNOW I checked ISU's box and other schools have confirmed receipt of my VMCAS so I'm sure it got there. They haven't calculated anything for me yet, either, and my transcripts were sent end of July :thumbdown: Not sure I want to see what they think of my transcripts, though, so they can take their time as far as I'm concerned!

Make sure to keep checking your supplemental app status page!!! I hadn't gotten any emails, but I checked mine and had a note on it that they needed my AP scores. No date or anything on when they posted it. Boo, more money to spend, $25 each school because they are old and archived. My GPAs are also up and I'm not too excited about those.. :thumbdown:

Make sure to keep checking your supplemental app status page!!! I hadn't gotten any emails, but I checked mine and had a note on it that they needed my AP scores. No date or anything on when they posted it. Boo, more money to spend, $25 each school because they are old and archived. My GPAs are also up and I'm not too excited about those.. :thumbdown:

Where does it say that they need your AP scores? Just wondering because I have some AP scores too that they'll probably need and I just logged in and checked and there is nothing about them. They still haven't calculated my GPA's yet either though :scared:

Where does it say that they need your AP scores? Just wondering because I have some AP scores too that they'll probably need and I just logged in and checked and there is nothing about them. They still haven't calculated my GPA's yet either though :scared:

I emailed them a while back during the application cycle and asked if they needed my AP scores and they said that yes, even though it shows on my transcript (the score received, for which test, etc). I had to get my scores from the AP archives and mailed to ISU and I haven't heard that they -haven't- gotten them, so :thumbup:

Ooh, looks like I need to get my AP scores sent. Thanks!

Ooh, looks like I need to get my AP scores sent. Thanks!

Does it say this somewhere obvious? I don't see it telling me anywhere to send them, but I did get some credit in college for English. I am wondering if since I have a degree they won't require it... seems like I might have read in the FAQ that the English requirement will be assumed to have been met if you have a college degree...

just want to make sure I am not overlooking where it is telling me to send them!

Thanks!

Oh good! I took tech writing and a comp II course, so my AP from comp I should be sort of irrelevant. I also have a bachelor's already, so that waives 1/2 of the 1 year requirement anyway... so I shouldn't have to send anything.

But my science GPA = ouchhhhh. Not holding my breath now. Geez, did they seek out all my bad grades or what?

Oh good! I took tech writing and a comp II course, so my AP from comp I should be sort of irrelevant. I also have a bachelor's already, so that waives 1/2 of the 1 year requirement anyway... so I shouldn't have to send anything.

But my science GPA = ouchhhhh. Not holding my breath now. Geez, did they seek out all my bad grades or what?

Hmmm... I was thinking the college degree would waive the whole requirement. If they do come and say they need the AP score, I wonder how hard it is to get AP scores from 1993?

My GPA's still aren't calculated, but I am very curious as to what they come up with! I submitted my application the last week before it was due, so I am guessing it will be a while longer.

Maybe they are going alphabetically. I'm in the first half of the alphabet.

I think the degree might have hurt me in the science GPA department - I think they're waiving the 8 hours of gen bio, which are nice, pretty As... bah.

OK here it is guys:

If an applicant wishes to use AP or CLEP credits to fulfill a required course, these credits must be documented by original scores submitted to the College of Veterinary Medicine and must meet Iowa State University’s minimum requirement in the appropriate subject area.

So to me that sounds like if you aren't using AP credits to fulfill a prerequisite you don't need to send them.

TT, what I'm looking for now is what you are referring to when you say having a degree already may hurt you in the gpa dept. Why are they waiving credits?

Well, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I can't figure out what else could make my science GPA so low. I emailed them and I'll let y'all know what they say, but...

If you go here:

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/academics/prospective-students/admissions/academic-requirements

And look at gen bio requirements, it says that "A Bachelor's degree in Biology fulfills this requirement." I think that means they don't use them in the calculation. But, like I said, I'm not 100% sure yet.

I'm not even going to try to calculate my sGPA, it'll just make me sad.
In other news - if you happen to have a copy of your AP scores sitting around, even an official score report (I do because I sent mine to Oregon already and College Board sent me a copy), then I think you can save the $25. From the FAQ page -
"AP credit is accepted for required coursework provided the AP credit has been accepted by a college or university for credit towards graduation. This should be clearly marked on the college or university transcript. In addition, a copy of your AP scores is required. This does not need to be an official copy from the College Board but can be a photocopy of the results you were sent. Copies of AP scores should be sent to:" (no address given haha)
I emailed them on Friday to confirm this and am waiting for a response back, but I'll keep you guys updated.

TT I'm with you, I think they didn't calculate in my nice pretty gen bio A's because of my bachelors, oh and I'm the end of the alphabet and everything has been updated.. Look's like it's going to be another round of getting in no where.

TT I'm with you, I think they didn't calculate in my nice pretty gen bio A's because of my bachelors, oh and I'm the end of the alphabet and everything has been updated.. Look's like it's going to be another round of getting in no where.

Don't give up hope already. If you look at their stats the GPA averages are much lower than I expected--possibly a reflection of how they calculate their GPA.

I'm wondering if they didn't notice my bachelor's isn't in bio, and yet they didn't include my gen bio either. I think I will give them a call, and try not to sound like an obsessive pest. Although maybe I'll wait to see what TT hears.

They did include bio classes, but not ones I did especially well in. Still trying to figure out why. Also, they counted a different genetics than I thought they would, but I will send them a syllabus from the other and see if they might change it. I hate bothering them, but yeah, it's not reassuring to see such low numbers there.

They still haven't calculated mine yet (they are probably seeing who draws the short stick to see who has to deal with all my transcripts!) but at least today they show that my VMCAS was received! I was starting to worry a little bit about that!

I'm curious to see what they come up with!

So I used my hotmail email address to create my supplemental account. I am now geeking out, worried that if they send me anything, it will go unseen (even though I do check over my junk mail). I looked over the supplemental and it doesn't look like I can change it now. Should I just send them an email and ask that they use my Gmail address instead?

I got an email back about AP scores in regards to needing proof for using the AP Bio as a prereq. A copy of the AP scores sent to Brenda Cousins is fine, doesn't need to be through College Board directly. So if you have a copy sitting around from high school in some dusty pile, or a copy from sending it to another school, save the money!!

Got an interview invite email today, as an OOS, for the Nov 13th/14th weekend. Already getting nervous!

Got an interview invite email today, as an OOS, for the Nov 13th/14th weekend. Already getting nervous!
Wow! Congratulations! I actually didn't even apply to Iowa and was just creeping on the thread- but I had to mention how awesome that was. Good luck!

Congrats on the interview invite. They still haven't entered my GRE scores or GPA!

yeah my GPAs and GREs aren't on the status page either... and i sent my supplemental in early Sept. Cubby38 congrats!! when did you send in your supplemental?

Congrats, cubby38! The interview isn't that bad... I'm sure you'll do fine!

And good luck to the rest of you! Don't worry about stuff not showing up on your status page yet; it can take a while as there are usually only a few people inputting everything. It'll all get in there eventually! Oh, and feel free to PM me with questions. I've been there, done that :)

Congrats Cubby! I was sure we has a few more weeks before we had to start compulsively checking our e-mail! You aren't by any chance OOS in a contract state, are you?

But then I'm in the GRE and GPAs still not entered category, so I am guessing I can sit back and relax for a bit longer.:cool:

I know I could go look this up, but I forget if Iowa has a file type interview or a behavioral interview... anybody know?

The behavior-based interview looks at experiences, behaviors, knowledge, skills and abilities and focuses on the following competencies.

Acts Autonomously and Confidently - Makes decisions independently when warranted; is capable of working on one’s own when necessary. Takes charge when circumstances warrant and makes difficult decisions. Respects the right and responsibility of others to make decisions that rightfully belong to them.

Demonstrates Integrity - Acts in a manner consistent with the principles of the veterinary profession and the courage of one’s convictions. Builds trust with others through daily actions and decisions; increases one’s credibility by treating others with respect. Makes principled decisions.

Demonstrates Adaptability and Resilience - Responds to competing demands or abrupt changes with a positive outlook. Stays optimistic and resilient in the face of adversity, change, and ambiguity. Uses a large repertoire of skills, experiences, and behaviors to handle a wide variety of challenges and opportunities.

Uses Sound Judgment - Makes decisions on the basis of logic, evidence, and sound professional judgment/experience/accepted practice. Seeks data when needed and investigates issues. Makes timely decisions based on one’s professional judgment, even when faced with ambiguity and imperfect data.

Thinks Innovatively - Seeks new ideas and weaves them together to create new approaches to problems/challenges. Mitigates future problems by anticipating trends and consequences, considering alternatives, possibilities and options, and applying systems-level thinking.

Communication skills will also be evaluated.

Congrats! They still haven't entered my GRE or calculated my GPAs yet, so I'm still waiting. Good luck!

I am a contract state, SD; I think they have only invited the IS and contract states so far.

I am also a contract applicant, I haven't seen anything about an interview, however ISU has yet to enter my GRE scores and GPA in my supp app page. Should I begin to worry at all? I hate to bother them with an email as it seems that the people who have to plug in all of these numbers are really busy at this time.

I am also a contract applicant, I haven't seen anything about an interview, however ISU has yet to enter my GRE scores and GPA in my supp app page. Should I begin to worry at all? I hate to bother them with an email as it seems that the people who have to plug in all of these numbers are really busy at this time.

Hey, future c/o 2015ers!

Don't worry AT ALL if you're not in the first few rounds of Iowa's interviews! I was panicky about it last year because I didn't get called until the last round, but of the five people I know who interviewed the last round, four got in and one was wailtlisted very high and ultimately was invited.

I don't know how they decide who is interviewed first, but don't panic if you aren't. It really won't affect your chances at all! :)

Good luck and try not to panic. Applications are an emotional roller-coaster! :luck:

Iowa just calculated my GPAs and I'm not exactly thrilled with my science GPA :( Does anyone know if they use your grades from all schools attended when calculating cumulative GPA or just your primary school? Looks like they used just my primary school GPA for mine...

i wonder why they stillll haven't calculated my GPA?? it says they have not received my GRE either, which i sent almost 2 months ago :confused: am i the only one?