iowa c/o 2015 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This whole waiting game is starting to drive me crazy! But I applied as OOS and it's already getting nerve-wrecking when people are receiving invites from other schools.

Me too! But at the same time, can anyone believe that it's been nearly two months since apps were due?

Members don't see this ad.

I checked today and my GPAs were posted today. Their cumulative calculation is lower then I expected...

man the science GPA calculation is brutal!! :(

I checked today and my GPAs were posted today. Their cumulative calculation is lower then I expected...

man the science GPA calculation is brutal!! :(

Yeah, it is really brutal. I saw mine and thought I was completely screwed. But then I got an interview invite. So there's plenty of hope, a bad sGPA definitely won't knock you out of the race :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if they take all attempts at a class into the cum GPA calculation? all of my GPAs are lower than I expected or lower than they show on my transcript.

At what point should I officially feel forgotton by ISU? :p

Not until Feb. 16. (They send out acceptance e-mails on Feb. 15.) :)

Seriously, I didn't hear a thing until I got my interview invite in January. I was interviewed on their last weekend. And I was accepted.

So, really, don't panic! :)

Seriously, I didn't hear a thing until I got my interview invite in January. I was interviewed on their last weekend. And I was accepted.

This makes me feel better. Thanks! :cool:

Does anyone know if they have interviewed all contract applicants?

Does anyone know if they have interviewed all contract applicants?

I was told that all of the SD, NE, and ND students were interviewed in the first and second sessions and Connecticut only on the second.

To top that I got one of the last FOUR interview invites for OOS total! Period. It was horrifyingly agonizing. But in the end I got an acceptance and am even now in ISU's library studying for a radiology exam I have tomorrow. So do not give up hope just yet!:thumbup:

I was told that all of the SD, NE, and ND students were interviewed in the first and second sessions and Connecticut only on the second.

So contract interviews have been handed out and they are done? Fun... :scared:

I'm a Nebraska resident and I received an e-mail a couple of weeks ago saying that applicants will receive a letter notifying them of interview day/time the first week of January.
So maybe they're not done doing contract interviews/invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sitting here in Ames right now, waiting for my interview in a few hours and trying not to panic too much. It's freezinggg outside, 14 degrees, I'm really not looking forward to walking to the car, especially because the heater in my rental takes forever to warm up. But I'm really excited to see the school, it sounds really good so far, and hopefully my interview won't be too scary.

I'm sitting here in Ames right now, waiting for my interview in a few hours and trying not to panic too much. It's freezinggg outside, 14 degrees, I'm really not looking forward to walking to the car, especially because the heater in my rental takes forever to warm up. But I'm really excited to see the school, it sounds really good so far, and hopefully my interview won't be too scary.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

I'm sitting here in Ames right now, waiting for my interview in a few hours and trying not to panic too much. .

No panicking. You wouldn't be there if you didn't know your stuff. Deep breathing and bring high energy. :) Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!! Just try to relax, they will try to make you as comfortable as possible, it was definitely not as bad as I was expecting. I just wish I was more prepared:(

I'm sure you've already looked at this, http://vetmed.iastate.edu/academics/prospective-students/admissions/selection-criteria

I just wish I had before my interview
I'm sure you meet all of these criteria, so you'll do fine!!:)

Phew, finally back at home. Quite an ordeal with flying back, but the Iowa part of the trip was awesome. Stayed with a student overnight, which was nice because i got to interrogate her and get some good perspective on the school. Everyone in Iowa is ridiculously nice, and that just stood out to me constantly while I was there. Because of that, ISU has definitely moved up on my list. People on the roads didn't honk at me when I was driving stupidly because I was lost, the waitress at the restaurant sat down at the table with me to take my order and called everyone honey, even TSA at Des Moines airport was really fun and relaxed. It's freezing cold there and there isn't much variety in the food, but aside from that, I loved the atmosphere.
I think/hope my interview went really well. I was pretty nervous because mine wasn't until later in the afternoon, and the financial aid session was pretty scary. On our rsvp sheets, we put down our main area of interest/if we wanted to talk to someone in a certain field, and they pulled us away at times during the day to talk to these different people they brought in. It was really exciting to talk to the person in charge of the shelter med program and find out more about it. I went right from talking to her into the interview, so was pretty laid back and okay going in. They were all really nice, told me how it would go, and it went by really quickly. There were five questions, all of which I had seen on the SDN interview page, so I felt completely prepared. My concern afterwards is that I'm afraid I didn't talk enough about my passion/experiences in vet med, more of life experiences, but hopefully that is what they want. After the interview, I was hanging around out in the main room and heard a girl come out of her interview and tell her mom that it went okay but she was surprised at what the questions were, they weren't anything she prepared for because they asked about experiences. So a major yay for sdn for preparing me :)

Phew, finally back at home. Quite an ordeal with flying back, but the Iowa part of the trip was awesome. Stayed with a student overnight, which was nice because i got to interrogate her and get some good perspective on the school. Everyone in Iowa is ridiculously nice, and that just stood out to me constantly while I was there. Because of that, ISU has definitely moved up on my list. People on the roads didn't honk at me when I was driving stupidly because I was lost, the waitress at the restaurant sat down at the table with me to take my order and called everyone honey, even TSA at Des Moines airport was really fun and relaxed. It's freezing cold there and there isn't much variety in the food, but aside from that, I loved the atmosphere.
I think/hope my interview went really well. I was pretty nervous because mine wasn't until later in the afternoon, and the financial aid session was pretty scary. On our rsvp sheets, we put down our main area of interest/if we wanted to talk to someone in a certain field, and they pulled us away at times during the day to talk to these different people they brought in. It was really exciting to talk to the person in charge of the shelter med program and find out more about it. I went right from talking to her into the interview, so was pretty laid back and okay going in. They were all really nice, told me how it would go, and it went by really quickly. There were five questions, all of which I had seen on the SDN interview page, so I felt completely prepared. My concern afterwards is that I'm afraid I didn't talk enough about my passion/experiences in vet med, more of life experiences, but hopefully that is what they want. After the interview, I was hanging around out in the main room and heard a girl come out of her interview and tell her mom that it went okay but she was surprised at what the questions were, they weren't anything she prepared for because they asked about experiences. So a major yay for sdn for preparing me :)

Glad it went ok:thumbup:
I felt the same way afterward about not saying enough about life experiences and stuff, but the more I looked at what they are looking for in interviews, the more I came to think that they are probably specifically trained to look for personality traits and don't really care too much about experiences

Does anyone know how accommodating ISU is in regards to re-scheduling interviews? I received an invite for the Jan 8-9 weekend, but I want to reschedule for the Jan 22-23 weekend... I have already booked a flight (flying out from Hawai'i! It's expensive :() for Jan 12 (since I have interviews at 2 other schools) and won't be coming home until Jan 26-ish... I don't know if I can afford to stay on the mainland for an extra week, but I REALLY want to interview at ISU!

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Does anyone know how accommodating ISU is in regards to re-scheduling interviews? I received an invite for the Jan 8-9 weekend, but I want to reschedule for the Jan 22-23 weekend... I have already booked a flight (flying out from Hawai'i! It's expensive :() for Jan 12 (since I have interviews at 2 other schools) and won't be coming home until Jan 26-ish... I don't know if I can afford to stay on the mainland for an extra week, but I REALLY want to interview at ISU!

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Just e-mail or call to ask if it is possible. The Iowa State admissions people are awesome. :)

Hey guys, congrats to everyone who received invites today!! Very exciting! Will there be one more wave of invites? I have not received an invite, but also have not received a rejection :) Thanks!

Yeah, there will be one more wave of invites for the weekend of Jan 22-23, probably sent out very early January - they have been sending them out about 3 weeks before the interview, but don't tell you whether you have the Sat or Sun spot until a week or so before the interview. I sent in my request right away and booked my flight before I knew when I was scheduled so the prices didn't go crazy on me, and I was lucky and got the date and time I requested.

Yeah, there will be one more wave of invites for the weekend of Jan 22-23, probably sent out very early January - they have been sending them out about 3 weeks before the interview, but don't tell you whether you have the Sat or Sun spot until a week or so before the interview. I sent in my request right away and booked my flight before I knew when I was scheduled so the prices didn't go crazy on me, and I was lucky and got the date and time I requested.

Yikes! I was assuming they would let us know ASAP which day/time we had so we could plan accordingly... Not sure what flights are going to look like, but I am figuring on taking either the Friday on the Monday off work, but not both!

I'm excited to see the school though! I will have to prep differently for the behavioral interview than I have been for my other interviews, but I've got a few weeks to work on that.

Congrats everyone on the invites!

Yikes! I was assuming they would let us know ASAP which day/time we had so we could plan accordingly... Not sure what flights are going to look like, but I am figuring on taking either the Friday on the Monday off work, but not both!

I'm excited to see the school though! I will have to prep differently for the behavioral interview than I have been for my other interviews, but I've got a few weeks to work on that.

Congrats everyone on the invites!

Send in what date/time you want right away, and you should get your first choice. I also emailed them explaining the situation/that I would like to know asap if possible, and I got a response back about when my time was before the official emails with that went out. Iowa has amazingly nice admin.
I was nervous about the behavioral interview (and I have no others to compare it to), but it really wasn't bad. Going over questions from previous years on the SDN interview area made me feel entirely prepared. Just had a few scenarios in mind, knew the questions in advance, and the anticipation ended up being much, much worse than the actual interview.

Thanks TDG!

Just got my interview date/time confirmation this morning and I'll try and book the flight today... how exciting! I'll be interviewing on Jan. 9 — kind of curious if I might bump into any fellow SDNers. :p

I just received my interview invite today (12/22), and I'm out of state. They gave me choices for an interview date

1/9
1/22
1/23

I haven't responded yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 22nd, depending on what flights and everything look like :)

I just received my interview invite today (12/22), and I'm out of state. They gave me choices for an interview date

1/9
1/22
1/23

I haven't responded yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 22nd, depending on what flights and everything look like :)

Congratulations! I just canceled my interview for 1/9 (like an hour or 2 ago), so maybe that was my spot! I feel really bad canceling on such short notice, but I have acceptances at 2 schools that were higher on my list already so I didn't want to waste their time. I just hope I am not missing out on what would have been the perfect school for me:(. I never thought I'd be in a position to withdraw an application.

Good luck! I hope they can find someone to take my spot on 1/9!

Gone2dogs: I actually received my e-mail early this morning, but if I do have your spot, I am thankful for your cancellation! Haha :)

They also said there were 6 spots on the 9th available :)

Thanks parietal! You're right, Brenda was awesome -- she said I could reschedule my interview for the 22-23 weekend instead! Does anyone know up to how long it should take for ISU to send back an RSVP confirmation? I sent mine on Friday, but I still haven't heard back from them (and I'm a little concerned because it seems like everyone is getting their confirmations right away).

Thanks parietal! You're right, Brenda was awesome -- she said I could reschedule my interview for the 22-23 weekend instead! Does anyone know up to how long it should take for ISU to send back an RSVP confirmation? I sent mine on Friday, but I still haven't heard back from them (and I'm a little concerned because it seems like everyone is getting their confirmations right away).

I had my interview the weekend of Dec 4/5 - got the invite on the 18th or something, didn't hear back for a week as to when mine was, but contacted Brenda before I officially found out so I could book my plane ticket, she was great about telling me. The official ones went out exactly a week before the interviews, which is way too short notice - so ask for a personal confirmation! :)

I can't believe it! I got an interview invite this morning, my first ever! I thought it was a rejection email at first, because it started out with "Thanks for your application to Iowa.." and I was expecting the next word to be the dreaded "BUT...." Thankfully that wasn't the case, Im still in shock:laugh:

I can't believe it! I got an interview invite this morning, my first ever! I thought it was a rejection email at first, because it started out with "Thanks for your application to Iowa.." and I was expecting the next word to be the dreaded "BUT...." Thankfully that wasn't the case, Im still in shock:laugh:

I was reading the email on my blackberry, and I was totally expecting the "but we really aren't interested in you at all" line, too! I got my invite 2 days before Christmas, so it was definitely a mood-lifter for the holiday. I will be interviewing 1/22 in the morning. Very excited :).

For everyone that has already interviewed/ is an ISU CVM student, care to give some insight on interviewing and the day's events? I "checked" every opportunity because I would really like to get a feel for the school/ community. I read through the interview feedback and everyone seemed to have a very positive experience at ISU, so I hope mine goes well, too!

I had my interview 12/5, feel free to PM me if anyone has specific questions about it. Congrats on everyone who has gotten interviews, and keep trying to all who haven't!

Rejected outright by email :( (OOS)

Same here - got my rejection e-mail today (OOS). I am a little surprised. Based on my stats, I really thought I had a reasonable chance (at least to score an interview) but I guess you never know!

Good luck to the rest of you :) I have 3 friends there and they love it!

Hello fellow ISU hopefuls! This is my first post but I've been following this and a lot of other threads on SDN!

I'm IS for ISU and interviewed 11/14 (and also interviewed at KSU on 12/20... the day after I graduated!)

Does anyone know if they recalculate your science/cumulative GPA after fall semester and use it in their selection process? I had an epic semester and my science GPA shot up so I'm hoping they do!

I am interviewing on 1/8 and was wondering if there were going to be any other SDNers who would like to meet up? I'm traveling by myself so would love to find someone else who will be there at the same time :)

I am interviewing on 1/8 and was wondering if there were going to be any other SDNers who would like to meet up? I'm traveling by myself so would love to find someone else who will be there at the same time :)

I'll miss you by a day! Any SDNers interviewing on the 9th? :D

Hello fellow ISU hopefuls! This is my first post but I've been following this and a lot of other threads on SDN!

I'm IS for ISU and interviewed 11/14 (and also interviewed at KSU on 12/20... the day after I graduated!)

Does anyone know if they recalculate your science/cumulative GPA after fall semester and use it in their selection process? I had an epic semester and my science GPA shot up so I'm hoping they do!

Yes, they do recalculate your GPA with fall 2010 grades.

Congrats to those who had interviews and my sympathies to those who were rejected (I know how that feels).

Just wondering if anyone who applied to Iowa State has yet to hear anything from them? My status page shows that all my materials were received and are complete. I assume I'm rejected but I was considering contacting them to see if maybe I missed an email (I keep checking the junk email box) but thought I'd ask you all first if anyone has yet to hear back?

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything also, been checking spam and website. Everything shows received. I am also assuming the worst, however I think if they flat out were not interested in our apps, it's fairly easy to send a generic "no thank you" email.

There may be a glimmer of hope.....but then, again maybe not.

CatCrazy--thanks for letting me know I'm not alone! I, too, was sort of hoping that not having been rejected was good news---but then I have been trying not to get my hopes up during this whole process.
:xf:here's hoping we both hear some good news soon!

I haven't heard anything either.

Still haven't heard anything. I keep hoping no news is good news, but I hate being such a Debbie-Downer.

Hello all! New to the forum here. Found this website last week while googleing and man has it been a great resource! Anyway, just wanted to say don't give up hope yet on the interviews. I received an interview invite yesterday (Jan 3) from Iowa State and will interview this upcoming weekend! Yikes! :eek: They gave me a choice of this weekend or Jan 22 or 23 so looks like there may still be more interview slots available! Good Luck everyone!

There were five questions, all of which I had seen on the SDN interview page, so I felt completely prepared.

I am interviewing on the 9th and am SOOOOOO excited!!! I am OOS (NY) but have heard great things about Iowa. I am tring to prepare for the interview as much as possible. Where did you find these five questions? I have not been able to locate them. :(