Acceptances for Class of 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al074755

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I think it is time to get this thread started. Let's use a similar format from Invitations to Interviews..

Date submitted to OptomCAS:
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):
Date Interview Scheduled:
Accepted (indicate school attending):

OAT/GPA:
Extracurricular:

Congratulations to the Class of 2015!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can the format include OAT and GPA? that is often the #1 question asked once someone posts. #2 question is how much shadowing.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Date submitted to OptomCAS: July 28
PCO: August 27 Nova: September 15
PCO: September 10 Nova: October 1
accepted to both. Going to PCO!

OAT/GPA: AA: 340 TS: 320/ GPA: 3.2 (with an upward trend)
Extracurricular: Shadowed two optometrists and an ophthalmologist. Worked as a tech for optometrist for a year and a half. Director of volunteering for a large pre-health club for two years.

Definitely apply early! :)

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/16. I think they mailed on 9/2.
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Western: 9/9, SCCO: 9/14, Salus: 9/15, also received email from ICO but didn't reply since I was waiting for SCCO.
Western: 9/17, SCCO: 10/2, Salus: 10/26
Accepted (indicate school attending): accepted to Western and SCCO. Declined interview for Salus. Going to SCCO (first choice).
OAT/GPA: AA: 330 TS: 370/ GPA: 3.7
Extracurricular: Shadowed three optometrists for ~2 months. Non-traditional applicant, worked full time in real estate.

Yup, apply early! :)

Neko, what were your scores in each section. did you have to retake your OAT? curious since I am in the same boat with an RC of 290 and want to go to SCCO.

Last edited:
by the way Congrats Neko on your acceptance.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/23
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, ICO, NECO
NOVA - 10/7, ICO - 10/15, NECO - 11/12Accepted (indicate school attending): Accepted to NOVA (most likely will attend); Pending decision from ICO; Interview scheduled for NECO
OAT/GPA: TS 320, AA 310 / Undergrad GPA 3.3, Graduate GPA 3.9, PostBac GPA 4.0
Extracurricular: Shadowed three optometrists for roughly a year (private practice, commercial, OD/MD); Non-traditional applicant, Undergraduate and Graduate degrees in business; Work full-time in finance and accounting.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: Around July 23 or so
SCO (9/17) and PUCO (9/24)
Accepted to both SCO and PUCO. Going to Pacific

OAT/GPA: 330/350 GPA around 3.45Shadowed three or four optometrists for total of 35 hrs. That's it.

Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Western: 9/9, SCCO: 9/14, Salus: 9/15, also received email from ICO but didn't reply since I was waiting for SCCO.
Date Interview Scheduled: Western: 9/17, SCCO: 10/2, Salus: 10/26
Accepted (indicate school attending): accepted to Western and SCCO. Declined interview for Salus. Going to SCCO (first choice).
Extracurricular: Shadowed three optometrists for ~2 months. Non-traditional applicant, worked full time in real estate.

Hey neko 82. I got invited for an interview today at salus!
Did you decline your interview at salus or you went for an interview and was rejected by them?
and do you have any tips for my salus interview!
your help will be much appreciated!!!

Date Interview Scheduled: Western: 9/17, SCCO: 10/2, Salus: 10/26

hey neko82.
I got accepted to salus today for an interview and im wondering if you declined their interview or if you went and they got rejected for an acceptance. can you please let me know how your interview went?
Thanks for your help

Date submitted to OptomCAS: July 22

UAB: July 26
ICO: August 25
IU:September 9
UMSL: September 14
Midwestern: September 23

UAB: September 24
Midwestern: Octofber 15
UMSL: October 18
(cancelled interviews with ICO and IU)

Accepted to UAB and UMSL, & Midwestern. Can't decide which school yet. Leaning toward UAB...

OAT/GPA: AA: 330 TS: 360/ GPA: 3.69
Extracurricular: Shadowed two optometrists and an ophthalmologist. Member and leader in my sorority.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did u get the acceptance e-mail or letter for UMSL aem118?

how long after you submitted your application did you hear back from UMSL? Thats the only school I havent heard from besides Berkeley

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/12/2010
Western- Sept 17th 2010
SCCO- Oct 2nd 2010
Accepted (indicate school attending): Western U

OAT/GPA: AA: 330, TS: 340. GPA: 3.73 High honors
Extracurricular: shadowed at Lenscrafters, Sears Optical, and two private practice optometrists. Was in the pre-optometry club at UCSB.

I interviewed Monday the 18th and I got the acceptance email Wednesday evening. They contacted me for the interview on September 14th.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/13/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 9/30/10
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/29/10
Accepted (indicate school attending): 10/29/10 (UHCO)
OAT/GPA: 370/3.79
Extracurricular:

- FSA President, Intramural sports coordinator
- Fraternity founder/charter, treasurer
- An entire summer shadowing and working with 2 different optometrists.

Cant wait for Fall 2011!

oh ok, i see ur dates there
i dont even know why i asked that question lol
so i guess UMSL takes a while cause u applied july and got invite in september. so if i applied september, i prob will get invite in november if they invite me lol

hey sav0k, which school are u FSA president?

Ive graduated this past May, but I was the Texas Tech FSA president.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 08/30/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 09/27 (ICO); 10/08 (PUCO)
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/25; 10/29
Accepted (indicate school attending): accepted to ICO 11/01; accepted to PUCO 11/05 (undecided on school to attend)

OAT/GPA: 310 300 / 3.40 cumulative gpa

Extracurricular: shadowed several specialty optometrists, currently work for eye institute in preschool vision screening program as a research assistant

I will be happy to lend any advice I can, feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Date Interview Scheduled: NOVA - 10/7, ICO - 10/15, NECO - 11/12
Accepted to NOVA;
Accepted to ICO;
Interview scheduled for NECO
(Undecided on school to attend...will decide after Boston visit)
Extracurricular: Shadowed three optometrists for roughly a year (private practice, commercial, OD/MD); Non-traditional applicant, Undergraduate and Graduate degrees in business; Work full-time in finance and accounting.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: August 10th
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO- Sept 14th
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO-Oct 4th
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO!

OAT/GPA: AA: 330 TS:310 Science GPA: 3.60
Extracurricular: Research, volunteer work, shadowing, etc. I'm convinced that my interview 'sealed the deal' :)

Definitely Apply Early!!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/24/10

Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):NOVA, IUSO, PUCO, OSU

Date Interview Scheduled: NOVA - 10/15, IUSO - 10/22, (cancelled OSU and PUCO)

Accepted (indicate school attending):Accepted to NOVA and IUSO; Going to IUSO!!

OAT/GPA: TS 340, AA 370/ Undergrad GPA 3.80, Science GPA 4.00,

Extracurricular: VP of pre-med club, teacher's assistant, tutor, lots of volunteer work.

Work Experience: 8 years total working in eye care. 2 years retail optics, 2 year private practice, 3 years Hospital (OD/MD), and 1 year working in an ophthalmic lab.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/9/10

Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, SCCO, ICO, NECO, SCO

Date Interview Scheduled: NOVA Oct 7, SCCO Nov. 8 (Cancelled), ICO Nov. 1 (Cancelled, administration office was very rude to me), NECO (didn't accept invite), SCO (most likely will not attend)

Accepted (indicate school attending): NOVA acceptance

Extracurricular: lots of fundraising and volunteering, job shadowing at two different modes of practice.

Last edited:
Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/9/10
SCCO, SUNY, PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/2 SCCO, 10/18 SUNY
Accepted (indicate school attending): Accepted to both, leaning toward SUNY

OAT/GPA: 350AA/360TS, 3.85
Extracurricular: I shadowed at one practice for 3 months and volunteered in a low vision therapy/blind rehab center for 2 months.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/7/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY, PCO, ICO, NECO
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO: 9/22, SUNY: 10/6, ICO: 10/18, NECO: 10/29
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO and SUNY. Going to SUNY. Withdrew applications from ICO and NECO and canceled interviews.

OAT/GPA: AA: 370, TS: 400 / GPA: 3.83
Extracurricular: president/vp for various clubs on-campus, shadowed 3 different optometrists

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/27
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, ICO, NECO, UHCO, SCO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO - 10/15, NOVA - 10/21, UHCO - 11/12, declined NECO
Accepted to all schools. Most likely attending UHCO
OAT/GPA: TS 340, AA 330 / GPA 3.7

Extracurricular: Unite for Sight volunteer at an eye hospital in India for a summer, shadowed 3 optometrists extensively, undergraduate thesis on the Thermodynamics of Gold Colloid Self-Assembly, Secretary of Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Deans list

Major: Biochemistry, Minor: Mathematics

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/21/2010
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCCO
Date Interview Scheduled: 11/13/2010 (morning set)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCCO-11/15/2010

OAT/GPA:
OAT AA 370, TS 400
OptomCAS Undergrad GPA 3.43, Post Bac 4.0
Shadowing:50 hours shadowing w/ mostly 1 OD

whew! it was risky applying to only 1 school! glad i got in. whoo class of 2015!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/27/2010
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):SCO, UIWSO, NSUOCO, UMSL, NSU
Date Interview Scheduled: 9/10/2010-UIWSO, 11/12/2010-SCO, I will not be attending interview at NSUOCO, UMSL or NSU.
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO

OAT/GPA: AA-330 TS-340/2.7 cum 2.78 pre req

Extracurricular: Arlington Reads & Salvation Army
Shadowed Private, Corporate offices and Cataract surgeon.

I have worked so hard the past two years. I know that my coursework grades are not that great, but I feel that I can represent the field of optometry very well and SCO picked up on this. I am so excited!!! I will be making a thread dedicated to all those from this forum who helped me (some are those who didn't even know I was lurking on their posts:D)

Last edited:
Accepted to NOVA;
Accepted to ICO;
Accepted to NECO
(3 for 3...leaning towards NECO :D)

Accepted to NOVA;
Accepted to ICO;
Accepted to NECO
(3 for 3...leaning towards NECO :D)

Congrats on all of your acceptances! Can i ask how long it took you to hear back from ICO and NECO after the interviews?? Mine are coming up and I just want to know what to expect when i'm waiting to hear back from them? :)

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 09/02/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO, ICO, SCCO and SUNY
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO-10/20, ICO-11/8, SCCO-11/13 (afternoon) and SUNY 12/6
PCO, ICO, SCCO. Undecided (but leaning toward SCCO as of right now, will know for sure after I interview with SUNY)
OAT/GPA: TS 320, AA 310/ Undergrad GPA 3.57
Extracurricular: observed about 6 optometrists for a day each, worked for a private practicing optometrist for one summer and took part in optometry related volunteer work. Also a member of a clinical society. Worked hours equivalent to a full-time job

Very surprised to receive an invite to interview (let alone an acceptance!), just because my OAT scores weren't very strong (I scored below a 300 in two sub sections). Before going into this process, my only goal was to be accepted to at least 1 school. I've been told by all my interviewers or by the file reviewer that my recommendations were very strong (they emphasized the word very strong). One interviewer even told me that when I go back home, I should thank my recommenders again. So just goes to show that some schools do look at the overall application and not just numbers :)

Last edited:
Congrats on all of your acceptances! Can i ask how long it took you to hear back from ICO and NECO after the interviews?? Mine are coming up and I just want to know what to expect when i'm waiting to hear back from them? :)

Thank you, I am thrilled!
I heard back from ICO via snail mail roughly two weeks after my interview. It may have been sooner, I don't recall.
For NECO, I heard back in literally two days. I interviewed last Friday and got my acceptance letter via FedEx the following Tuesday.
Both schools told me the day of my interviews it could be one to three weeks before I hear anything. I'm assuming they handle this on a case by case basis.
Best of luck to you!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/4/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 10/4/2010 (WesternU)
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/15/10
Accepted (indicate school attending): 11/1/10 (WesternU)

:soexcited: :clap: :banana:

Last edited:
Thank you, I am thrilled!
I heard back from ICO via snail mail roughly two weeks after my interview. It may have been sooner, I don't recall.
For NECO, I heard back in literally two days. I interviewed last Friday and got my acceptance letter via FedEx the following Tuesday.
Both schools told me the day of my interviews it could be one to three weeks before I hear anything. I'm assuming they handle this on a case by case basis.
Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the info!!

How much time do schools typically give you before they want to hear if you've accepted their offer??

Thanks for the info!!

How much time do schools typically give you before they want to hear if you've accepted their offer??

I think it varies by school.
Nova...think they gave me two weeks to make a decision, which means a deposit to save your seat.
ICO...they gave me 30 days.
NECO...two weeks to decide, although they did mention if need be, they will give you another two weeks on top of that.

All of them want an answer relatively fast, within a month or so. This is difficult especially if you're going on multiple interviews and have to pick between several schools.

I think it varies by school.
Nova...think they gave me two weeks to make a decision, which means a deposit to save your seat.
ICO...they gave me 30 days.
NECO...two weeks to decide, although they did mention if need be, they will give you another two weeks on top of that.

All of them want an answer relatively fast, within a month or so. This is difficult especially if you're going on multiple interviews and have to pick between several schools.

Eek, yeah i can imagine. I have NECO, ICO and SUNY interviews all in december but it will definitely be longer than two weeks between the NECO And SUNY interviews!! I'm hoping they will extend it for me so I can at least have a chance to see the other schools before making my decision.
Thanks a lot for your help and maybe i'll be seeing you next fall :)

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 7/30
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO, ICO, UHCO, SUNY, PUCO, NECO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO - 9/10, ICO - 9/27, UHCO - 10/1, SUNY - 10/18, PUCO - 10/29, NECO - 11/5
SCO, ICO, UHCO, PUCO, NECO. Waitlisted at SUNY. Attending SCO
OAT/GPA: TS 320, AA 320 with one sub-300 score/ GPA 3.24

Extracurricular: Peace Corps volunteer for 2 years, worked for optometrists/ophthalmologists for 1 year, shadowed 6 optometrists.

Major: Zoology, Minor: Spanish

Every school had their pros and cons. I was really leaning heavily towards NECO, but in the end I couldn't beat SCO's overall cost.

I was afraid I wouldn't get into any of them. Goes to show, test scores and GPA are not everything to every school.

Eek, yeah i can imagine. I have NECO, ICO and SUNY interviews all in december but it will definitely be longer than two weeks between the NECO And SUNY interviews!! I'm hoping they will extend it for me so I can at least have a chance to see the other schools before making my decision.
Thanks a lot for your help and maybe i'll be seeing you next fall :)

Yeah I hear you. I wouldn't worry too much about response time at this point. Focus on your interviews for the time being. I'm sure each school will be more than understanding given your situation. Honestly, having multiple acceptances isn't a bad problem to have :).

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 7/30
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO, ICO, UHCO, SUNY, PUCO, NECO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO - 9/10, ICO - 9/27, UHCO - 10/1, SUNY - 10/18, PUCO - 10/29, NECO - 11/5
SCO, ICO, UHCO, PUCO, NECO. Waitlisted at SUNY. Attending SCO
OAT/GPA: TS 320, AA 320 with one sub-300 score/ GPA 3.24

Extracurricular: Peace Corps volunteer for 2 years, worked for optometrists/ophthalmologists for 1 year, shadowed 6 optometrists.

Major: Zoology, Minor: Spanish

Every school had their pros and cons. I was really leaning heavily towards NECO, but in the end I couldn't beat SCO's overall cost.

I was afraid I wouldn't get into any of them. Goes to show, test scores and GPA are not everything to every school.

Congratulations on all your acceptances. Wow...very impressive. You sure have been busy...I thought I was haha.
I couldn't agree with you more. So much on these forums and from talking with fellow applicants is placed on grades and OAT scores. Although they are important to a degree, actually very important...numbers are not everything. From experience, schools, well at least the ones I applied to, are most interested in you, as a person...are you dedicated, motivated, and have the passion for this field.
Congrats again on your success!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/4/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 10/4/2010 (WesternU)
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/15/10
Accepted (indicate school attending): 11/1/10 (WesternU)

:soexcited: :clap: :banana:

Hi!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Is the interview at WesternU closed file or open file?

Thanks!

Thanks! The interview was closed file :)

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/26/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 10/3/2010 (ICO)
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/22/10
Accepted (indicate school attending): accepted to NECO and SCO but going to ICO 10/28/10

NOVA - 10/7, ICO - 10/15, NECO - 11/12Accepted (indicate school attending): Accepted to NOVA (most likely will attend); Pending decision from ICO; Interview scheduled for NECO

Hello!
Congrats on your acceptance!!

Did you hear back from ICO? What did you think of the interview? Do you have any suggestions?

-Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 8/26/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 10/3/2010 (ICO)
Date Interview Scheduled: 10/22/10
Accepted (indicate school attending): accepted to NECO and SCO but going to ICO 10/28/10

Hi Solar1s,

Congrats on your acceptance!

If you don't mind me asking how are your OAT scores and GPA? and What did you think of the interview at ICO?

Thanks! and Happy Thanksgiving

Hi Solar1s,

Congrats on your acceptance!

If you don't mind me asking how are your OAT scores and GPA? and What did you think of the interview at ICO?

Thanks! and Happy Thanksgiving

PMed you

I guess I'll post my stuff too, although im still waiting to see if I get an interview to Berkeley

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/16/2010
SCO 9/29, NOVA 10/1, SUNY 9/30
SCO 10/15, NOVA 10/21, SUNY 11/10
SCO, NOVA, waitlist for SUNY
most likely will attend NOVA

OAT/GPA: TS 360/AA 360, 3.43 GPA
Extracurricular:
shadowed 7 optometrists (some in the same office), one ophthalmologist, pre-optometry club, various school orgs

Date submitted to OptomCAS: September 22
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO, PCO, UHCO, Nova, MWU, NECO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO 10/15, Nova 11/10, PCO 11/22, declined UHCO, MWU, and NECO
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (attending), NOVA, PCO

Last edited: