Southern College of Optometry - Alumni Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oculusdiscipulus

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

I am currently a pre-optometry student and in the midst of looking at some optometry schools while I get my prerequisites. I was interested in specifically the Southern College of Optometry given its great board passage rate but was unaware of where it sits when compared to other optometry schools in terms of difficulty. I do know that it differs but it does look like a fantastic school! Any alumni willing to chime in on their experience?
 
Hello all!

I am currently a pre-optometry student and in the midst of looking at some optometry schools while I get my prerequisites. I was interested in specifically the Southern College of Optometry given its great board passage rate but was unaware of where it sits when compared to other optometry schools in terms of difficulty. I do know that it differs but it does look like a fantastic school! Any alumni willing to chime in on their experience?
This is likely unhelpful since I didn’t attend, but my bishop at my church is a OD here in our town and he went to Southern. He and his wife loved the school and felt that it really gave students real world experience. There are (at least when he was there) opportunities to integrate into community eye health clinics and from the gate you’re practicing your skills. He can’t say enough good things. And Memphis is cool.