Don't Give Up Hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOsaintsfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've lurked on these boards for a while and almost never post however I wanted to send a word of encouragement to all those people who may feel a little discouraged about the whole application process.

If you are a marginal applicant there is hope, not everyone who applies will have awesome stats like people seem to imply on these boards. If you are willing to work hard and do what you can to make your application shine then you have a chance. My story is proof.

My degree is in business so you don't have to be a science major, my cumulative GPA was a 3.08 and my MCAT 26.

I was offered 8 interviews, went on 4 and was accepted by 3 and waitlisted by 1.

I share this only to show that it is possible to get into med school if you are truly passionate. Don't lose hope or get discouraged. If you have enough drive you will get in. Good luck to everyone.

If anyone has questions about I’ll be happy to help.

Members don't see this ad.

I've lurked on these boards for a while and almost never post however I wanted to send a word of encouragement to all those people who may feel a little discouraged about the whole application process.

If you are a marginal applicant there is hope, not everyone who applies will have awesome stats like people seem to imply on these boards. If you are willing to work hard and do what you can to make your application shine then you have a chance. My story is proof.

My degree is in business so you don't have to be a science major, my cumulative GPA was a 3.08 and my MCAT 26.

I was offered 8 interviews, went on 4 and was accepted by 3 and waitlisted by 1.

I share this only to show that it is possible to get into med school if you are truly passionate. Don't lose hope or get discouraged. If you have enough drive you will get in. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats. Where do you think you will attend?

Still undecided. A couple of schools stand out though, DMU and Rocky Vista were the nicest schools. Both have good qualities, however the dean at Rocky Vista is one of the best so the decision is going to be tough.

Again good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to interject but DMU >>>> Rocky Vista.
:)
Congratz on all the acceptances. It just shows that great interviewing skills and other things can make up for stats.

Yea I bet the dean at RVUCOM was the nicest.....your tuition goes directly into his pocket.

Wow, interesting replys.

Just for sake of conversation what are you guys basing your opinion of RVU on?

The dean there is from TCOM. TCOM has been the school with the #1 or 2 board scores for many years.

When I interviewed at LECOM Bradenton the dean there said that they have had the #2 board scores for the last for years however last year they were #1 and TCOM was #2. He was proud of beating out TCOM for the top spot.

So my comment about the dean was based on the fact that he's bringing the format from TCOM to RVU. Anyway, I hope everyone out there who is on the "cusp" doesn't get bogged down in the drama. Just stay positive and your dreams to become a doctor can and will happen.

My opinion about RVUCOM comes strictly from the for-profit designation of the school. It is the only medical school (allopathic or osteopathic) that is a for-profit entity. I think it is degrading to the osteopathic profession...which I will be joining...and makes it seem like University of Phoenix could be handing out our DO degrees.

I appreciate this post COMPLETELY. I can't begin to describe how much this means to me as a marginal/average applicant. I can't even describe how bad I want to become an Osteopathic physician and am completely sure it's all I could ever want to do in this world.

I appreciate this post COMPLETELY. I can't begin to describe how much this means to me as a marginal/average applicant. I can't even describe how bad I want to become an Osteopathic physician and am completely sure it's all I could ever want to do in this world.

I agree with you also. It's nice to hear someone offering support when you feel that your chances are slim. Hopefully, we all get a chance to show our desire to go into the profession. I am praying for some invites soon! Good luck to you!

I agree with you also. It's nice to hear someone offering support when you feel that your chances are slim. Hopefully, we all get a chance to show our desire to go into the profession. I am praying for some invites soon! Good luck to you!

I'm hoping for some invites as well. Best of luck to you as well!

I'm glad you guys are keeping your head up. Trust me many times along the way I was self doubting and wondering if I am wasting my time. Being a doctor is something I really want and I can personally attest that if you work hard and do everything you can it can happen.

This isn't to say that life is like a fairy tale and everything will always work out. You have to be realistic about where you stand and what your chances are do some soul searching and figure out where you’re deficient. Shadow multiple docs, try to get to know one well enough to get a good rec letter. A DO is better for this but an MD is ok too. Volunteer in the hospital, do research, and above all else be passionate. Remember that on paper you may be behind the curve, however grades are not the only thing that is considered.

If you get an interview try to relax. Every interview I went on they told me that grades are not important at this point. The interviewers actually said that if we select you for an interview we feel that you academically capable, now it’s about whether you’re a good fit for us or not.

No matter what stay positive and don’t be afraid of rejection, if you want it bad enough you will make it happen.

Not that my opinion is necessarily worth much, as I am still looking, not being accepted... but... If all other things were equal (as in location, cost, etc), I would go to DMU. They are very well respected, the school is top-notch, etc... RVU is for profit, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth a crap... All schools want to make a profit, it is whether they are forced to put the money into the school or not... from what I saw at RVU, they are going to put that money into the school because they want the school to be the best around... For me, all things are not equal, and in your situation I would pick RVU, but that's because my husband's job took him to CO, and his apartment is 2.5 miles from RVU... ;)

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement... I'm in a similar situation, but I haven't taken the MCATs, my post-bacc GPA is 3.85, with a 3.9 sGPA PB... Soooo, here's to hoping I get in!

My opinion about RVUCOM comes strictly from the for-profit designation of the school. It is the only medical school (allopathic or osteopathic) that is a for-profit entity. I think it is degrading to the osteopathic profession...which I will be joining...and makes it seem like University of Phoenix could be handing out our DO degrees.

Fair enough your opinion is your own and you’re entitled to it.

I will add however that the only two DO's that I personally know told me to apply to RVU because they knew the dean and said he was awesome. That’s why I interviewed there. So their profit status may be significant to some but the docs I know certainly don't care and they went to school in the northeast.

Either way, I haven't made my mind up but their "profit" status isn't a factor for me. For my consideration I'm looking at their curriculum. It’s a sort of like a blend between traditional lecture and PBL. It was structured specifically by the dean and has a proven track record (at TCOM) of producing high COMLEX scores and as result getting people into competitive residencies. This is why I'm considering them.

In the end no school is perfect, and RVU might not be for me. I just want people to stay positive and don't get down on yourself.

Also on another note, I will say that the impression I had of schools from reading this forum and the impression I got after actually visiting/interviewing was totally different. So go into every interview with an open mind and try to determine which school will be the best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the encouragement and for sharing. :) and for the record, i loved the environment/feel of RVU. i know there's a lot of drama around the school, but the students and faculty were amazing when I interviewed there. i met a ton of students that day, so i was really surprised by how nice everyone was. i find out my results tomorrow though ... so nervous! :xf:

When I toured the RVU campus I loved it. I would go in a heartbeat... even outside of the other mitigating factors... I thought it was beautiful, the students were happy, the format was awesome, I love that they get you into doing clinical practice environments ASAP, and that you have a non-competitive environment...

thank you for the encouragement and for sharing.

No problem, I remember reading stuff like if you don't have a 30+ MCAT and a 3.5+ GPA then you basically have no chance, and being really depressed. I just want people to know that it is possible.

No problem, I remember reading stuff like if you don't have a 30+ MCAT and a 3.5+ GPA then you basically have no chance, and being really depressed. I just want people to know that it is possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. Often I feel like the only people posting their stats on SDN are those with excellent numbers. I stopped reading the "underdog" thread after I kept seeing people whine about their >3.8 GPAs. Its nice to hear that there is a population of people like you out there who, frankly, are much more in line with my experience. Best of luck to you in your decisions!

Thanks for posting this. Often I feel like the only people posting their stats on SDN are those with excellent numbers. I stopped reading the "underdog" thread after I kept seeing people whine about their >3.8 GPAs. Its nice to hear that there is a population of people like you out there who, frankly, are much more in line with my experience. Best of luck to you in your decisions!

Yea I did the same thing. If I took all the stuff like that on this site that I read to heart then I would have never even applied. Just goes to show theirs more to it than just grades.

With that said it is really competitive, so if you don't have the grades, and even if you do, its important to round out your application with other stuff.

Thanks so much for your post!!! Thank you for the encouragement and I wish you well!

If you don't mind me asking, what type of background did you have? ECs? etc? I'm just curious. :)

>80% of people on the front page are under a 3.4 and 100% are under a 3.8 :smack:.

Congrats to the OP, my stats are very very similar to yours, glad to hear everything worked out for you as well.

How many schools did you apply to?

Hi Saints:

i am a business major too. Right now going thru post bac classes and yet to take the MCAT. what is your recommendation on EC's. should i do research. I work full time for a large insurance company and have no time to do any type of part time research. I work full time during the day and take classes 3x week. therefore, this does leave me any room to fit research into my schedule.

Hi Saints:

i am a business major too. Right now going thru post bac classes and yet to take the MCAT. what is your recommendation on EC's. should i do research. I work full time for a large insurance company and have no time to do any type of part time research. I work full time during the day and take classes 3x week. therefore, this does leave me any room to fit research into my schedule.

imo for DO schools, volunteering > research. I had both and was never asked about research or could ever really tie it into any interview discussions. However I think my volunteer work tied in well to many interview discussions.

imo for DO schools, volunteering > research. I had both and was never asked about research or could ever really tie it into any interview discussions. However I think my volunteer work tied in well to many interview discussions.

For me it was the opposite. I had minimal volunteer that never came up... But they seemed to love to talk about my research

You must be thinking about the "What are my chances" threads.