When to give up hope this cycle?

Started by DrThanos
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrThanos

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So far I've had 3 interviews which has turned into 1 waitlist & still waiting to hear back from the others. At what point in the cycle should someone assume they are just not going to get more interviews or an acceptance? I would like to be proactive and also just mentally prepare as well.
 
It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

Stay positive and hopeful until you've officially been rejected from the school you interviewed with and the schools you have yet to hear back from. The DO cycle goes later, and there is usually plenty of waitlist movement later in May as people withdraw acceptances. Worst case, being Thanos, just snap your fingers and half the med school applicants will disappear. They would have to take you off the waitlist then!
infinity war avengers GIF by Marvel Studios

Fun isn't something one considers when balancing the universe. But this...does put a smile on my face.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The conventional wisdom from the usual SDN admins is that you should act as though you have been rejected from every option until you are accepted. I would second Papa's suggestion to work on back-ups. If you don't get accepted this cycle what are you going to do to make next cycle successful is the question you should be considering.
 
How late do DO II invites get sent out? I'm on 6 DO holds/interview waitlists currently...
 
How late do DO II invites get sent out? I'm on 6 DO holds/interview waitlists currently...

In previous cycles they could go well into April...with the covid situation allowing for online interviews, I think many schools have already filled their classes and are waiting to see who puts down deposits or withdraws so they can finalize things.

With that being said though, the relative ease of being able to do a zoom interview means they can leave applicants in suspense until all deposits are paid.
 
This has been an extremely competitive year as @Goro can attest. While getting pulled off the waitlist is not impossible, don't count on it. Start working on next year's app-specifically what you've done to improve yourself. And next time submit that mofo the nanosecond the system opens up.
 
So far I've had 3 interviews which has turned into 1 waitlist & still waiting to hear back from the others. At what point in the cycle should someone assume they are just not going to get more interviews or an acceptance? I would like to be proactive and also just mentally prepare as well.
No more interviews?
Now

No Accepts?

May
 
No more interviews?
Now

No Accepts?

May

@Goro

Just a clarification on your reply and an additional question:

Would you say those of us on interview holds or waitlists at this time are in the same boat or are we in a better position?

Second question; do you suspect greater WL movement this year than previous?
 
@Goro

Just a clarification on your reply and an additional question:

Would you say those of us on interview holds or waitlists at this time are in the same boat or are we in a better position?

Second question; do you suspect greater WL movement this year than previous?
Impossible to answer both questions.

The exception is that at my school, we've accepted a ton of MD caliber candidates.

I expect that they will bail on us in May and we will have a ton of WL movement
 
Impossible to answer both questions.

The exception is that at my school, we've accepted a ton of MD caliber candidates.

I expect that they will bail on us in May and we will have a ton of WL movement

I appreciate your response. I ask because in a number of threads in the school specific forums, it appears there are a large number of WL for each program. Def more than usual.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Obviously this year is unusual so take this post with an extra grain of salt. I got my first and only acceptance in late July when I had finished half my applications for the new cycle. Keep working on your application but don't give up hope.
 
No more interviews?
Now

No Accepts?

May

I received a DO interview a few days ago, which I had the session today. Would you say I was interviewing for a waitlist spot?
A fellow candidate asked the question, to which the coordinator said "we are actively feeling out the class"
 
I received a DO interview a few days ago, which I had the session today. Would you say I was interviewing for a waitlist spot?
A fellow candidate asked the question, to which the coordinator said "we are actively feeling out the class"
Yes and no. I expect a huge amount of WL movement once the MD-bound kids dump their DO accepts.