Oregon State c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LivestockDoc

I speak 4 the cows!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to get you excited. I just thought if I started a thread, maybe it would send a telepathic message and the school would actually communicate with us. The only reason I know that Oregon received my application/transcripts is because the fee showed up on my credit card. (Was freaking out a while back b/c the school hadn't cashed my check, and then I realized...hey, dingbat, you didn't write them a check! Duh.)

Okay, Oregon, I'm ready to hear something now. Anything? Bueller?

I'll leave it to TT to add this into her sticky so I don't screw anything up. Or if we already have an Oregon thread somewhere, somebody give me a cyber thump on the head.:slap:

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything from them.. they just cashed my check on October 1. Oregon is my number 1 choice! I know they only accept around 12 from OOS, but I pretty much directed my entire application at Oregon. Two of my LORs graduated from/ worked at Oregon and I applied and was accepted to Oregon for my undergraduate school (but opted for my in state school instead). Oregon please accept me!! :xf:

I applied OOS. I haven't heard anything either.. although it would be nice to get an email saying they have received all of my application materials

Members don't see this ad :)
Oregon is slow every step of the way, especially for out of staters. I remember it took them quite awhile to send me the "your application is complete" message. You have a long wait ahead of you, so try not to freak out early. Good luck!

I'm OOS for Oregon, haven't heard anything from them but they did cash my check...

Also OOS, and they cashed my check, so I'm not too worried.

Was freaking out a while back b/c the school hadn't cashed my check, and then I realized...hey, dingbat, you didn't write them a check! Duh.

:laugh: I'm glad other people talk to themselves like this too!

Anyhow, I'm a WICHE applicant and I also haven't heard anything! They definitely took my supplemental fee though. My hopes aren't too high as an OOS person, but hey! My hat is in the ring.

I applied as a WICHE applicant, and I have heard more than I want to from OSU! Apparently some of the official GRE score reports got bunked in transit from ETS. Holly Bell (Director of Admin at OSU) called me and needed my original copy scanned in to them because ETS would not return her calls about resending the messed up scores.

Anyway, I sent her my scores and everything is alright. But that was the only time I heard from them! I called to make sure that she recieved my fax and she said she had and that my application was complete. She did say that she is NOT sending out an email to anyone about a complete application until they are all reviewed because she doesn't want some people to hear before others- she said she's trying to avoid phone calls "My friend got an email two days ago and I haven't heard anything!"

Sounds like she is working her butt off and if there is a problem she will contact you! So fingers crossed and don't stress too much!

At last, an acknowledgement from Oregon that my application is complete. I presume this email will be going out to everyone within the next couple of days so watch for it.

I also got an e-mail today letting me know that my application was complete.
I was so scared to open it at first.

Members don't see this ad :)
had a minor heart attack today during lunch when i saw oregon in my inbox, and then was just disappointed to not hear anything. but at least thats much better than a rejection.

Hi everyone! I'm an OSU applicant too...OOS from Idaho. I haven't heard anything either...boo! But sometimes no news is good news! Especially from Oregon, since their class size is so small compared to other schools. Good luck to all of you!:luck:

On last years stats for Oregon c/o 2014 they are not listed on
the official interview invites page or the official rejections page.
Is this because there weren't that many Oregon applicants on SDN?

Last edited:
On last years stats for Oregon c/o 2014 they are not listed on
the official interview invites page or the official rejections page.
Is this because there wasn't that many Oregon applicants on SDN?
No, I think it's because they are so, so late in the process. OOS applicants don't interview, so they keep us up in the air forever. I finally found out I was rejected last year in April. That late in the game, I think people have probably given up/been worn out from posting that kind of stuff, they are either going somewhere or not.

April?? That's insane! Did you have to contact them or did a letter finally limp into your mailbox?

Oops, I lied. Just looked back in my email and got my rejection email March 18. Felt like later, but that's still late! I had contacted Holly several times before that, but it was always still pending and she didn't know when decisions would be made. I'm expecting the same for this year.

COA seems to be a big secret at OSU. I've looked at their website and found a tuition figure for 2010-2011 of $37,733 (OOS). Room/Board is listed on one page as $8208, but on another page as $8600-9000. No other expenses are listed as far as I can see. They just include a footnote about there being additional expenses like books, supplies, etc. (Duh!)

Since the COA is what determines how much money you can borrow, I need to know what the school's actual figure is. Anybody know?

COA seems to be a big secret at OSU. I've looked at their website and found a tuition figure for 2010-2011 of $37,733 (OOS). Room/Board is listed on one page as $8208, but on another page as $8600-9000. No other expenses are listed as far as I can see. They just include a footnote about there being additional expenses like books, supplies, etc. (Duh!)

Since the COA is what determines how much money you can borrow, I need to know what the school's actual figure is. Anybody know?

I'm in-state, but I can give you my breakdown for this year, as calculated by the school:

Tuition/fees
$19,102.00

Books/Supplies
$1,764.00

Room and Board
$9,167.00

Misc/Personal
$2,574.00

Direct Loan fees
$48.00

Medical/dental
$1,965.00

Total: (=the amount offered in direct loans if you have a relatively low EFC)
$34,620.00

Someone in my pre-vet club said they got an email from Oregon, with an
interview invite but no date yet.
Anyone else?

Can you OSU hopefuls tell me why you want to go there? I'm an Oregon resident and the only thing that appeals to me about OSU is the small class size. I'm most interested in CSU but maybe someone can shed some light on the appeal of OSU?

I'm actually an OOS OSU hopeful (although I'm from Penn so OSU is quite the distance). I was really interested in the school because of it's proximity to the coast and it is also affiliated with the Marine Mammal Institute (I think?). If you couldn't tell, my interests are in aquatic animal medicine but I'm keeping my options open.

While I'm not a hopeful, I can tell you that a big factor for any applicant, no matter what their home state is, is money. In-state tuition is much better than out-of state tuition, so unless you won't be using loans to pay for school, it is a major factor for most folks.

That said, while there are time when I get frustrated with Oregon (and I think that's true of all schools also), I almost always enjoy it. If you're in Oregon, you should come take a tour and check out the anatomy lab. As a first year you'll spend a lot of time there, and ours is pretty awesome.

Other than money, I think a big part of your decision should be what fields you're interested in and the strength of a school's program in that area, keeping in mind that many people change their focus once they're in school.

A few good things about Oregon:
the Oregon coast is beautiful with it's dense forest leading up to the ocean, the small class size, the availability of the professors, and it is only 1.5 hour drive to Portland.
The school and facilities were very modern, with one whole area of the vet school that was recently built.

I cannot speak of the academics or programs since I am not yet in the school.
They do seem to have many interesting clubs to join.
Their 4th year student rotations at the Oregon Humane Society seems like an amazing program.

These are just a few off the top of my head, I am sure there are many more positive things.

Last edited:
I am an IS applicant, still waiting for any news.:xf:
I am starting to get really nervous as the emails should be coming in the next 2-3 weeks for IS. Anyone know if rejection letters go out for IS people before/at the same time, as interview emails? I don't want to think about it, but I just want to know how long to stay hopeful :)

heard from Oregon, rejection letter....:( c/o 2016 hopeful now

Sorry about your rejection letter. I am IS too, still waiting.

heard from Oregon, rejection letter....:( c/o 2016 hopeful now

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I had no idea they were sending them out this early. What I DO know is that you'll rock the application next year though!!

Did you get it via snail mail?

No, email actually......while driving down the road on my phone.....sucked....yes I will totally rock it out next cycle. I had a feeling this time wouldn't work out. I really need to rock the GRE. I took it a little late and didn't do so hot, didn't have time to re-take it. Never give up though right? What do you think the % of people that apply get in the first? second? time? I feel kinda crappy now, not gunna lie. Kind of a kick in the gut. Giving myself a day and a bottle of wine to throw a pity party, then time to move on. Motivates me to really shine this next cycle though :)

The nice thing about wine pity parties is that the alcohol kills off all the weak little brain cells that were screwing you up, so only the strong will survive to ensure that you ace the GRE next time you take it ;)

It's true. I swear.

So I've seen that a few people have gotten IS rejections... any OOS rejections? I haven't heard anything from Oregon. Not even an application complete email. I guess only a few more weeks of waiting...:scared:

You might want to contact Holly Bell in admissions about not having received an "application complete" email - I got mine on December 15th. And Holly is the sweetest, most helpful person! I'm sure she'd be glad to answer any questions you have :)

Got accepted by email today!!!!!
Oh, and I'm oos. Yayyyy excited!!!!

Wow! Congrats! I had no idea they were sending out acceptances so early!!! Are you WICHE?

Thanks!!!! I was, and still am, shocked I heard so early, wasn't expecting it so soon. I think its a kind of early acceptance, they offered me a scholarship as well. I'm from CA. Hope you'll all start hearing some good news soon!!!!

Accepted by email today. Only $1000 scholarship, which doesn't help at all. Wish it could be a contender.

congratulations eagles and livestockdoc! i really thought i had a few weeks to go before starting to freak out about acceptance letters going out...

congratulations eagles and livestockdoc! i really thought i had a few weeks to go before starting to freak out about acceptance letters going out...

Nope. Commence freak out now. And best of luck to you (and everyone else waiting to hear from Oregon)! :xf:

Acceptance letter via email today, OOS, $1,000 scholarship for the first year.