I need help on getting extended time on comlex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WitchDoctor10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied twice for extended time on the COMLEX 1 and was rejected both times. I saw two different psychologists and we applied with anxiety first and then adhd and anxiety as reasons for extended time on the comlex. I have never finished a test on time since college began and doubt that I will ever pass all the licensing tests without extended time.
I applied with ADHD, which is a disability under the americans with disabilities act but they still rejected my application for extended time. I am very frustrated and am not sure what my best course of action is now. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for how to obtain extended time on the COMLEX!!?? I am considering a third application and the possibility of legal actions. Any suggestions for what to do on a third application or what type of lawyer to hire?

Members don't see this ad.

I completely understand your frustration with this situation. Unfortunately, because of the very LARGE increase in number of applicants applying for accommodations, the NBOME (and NBME) have taken a similar stance that many insurance companies have successfully done in the past (except its supposed to be a secret...shhhh)...

...even for those who COMPLETELY qualify...they reject EVERYONE (until legal action is taken).

Soo...as ironic as it is that filling out ADA accommodations requires an unbelievable amount of effort (one person compared it to being worse than filling out an application for medical school or ERAS), that unless you have a proven 'impairment' since grade school (that required accommodations in the past)...that legal action has also become part of the requirement. I have heard your 'statement' or 'threat' multiple times before (and so have they) about legal action, but it is also true (and they know) that most people will threaten, but not follow through. Eventually, a group of lawyers will get together and there will be a class-action lawsuit...but that won't be for some time (sadly, this is how the USA functions).

HOWEVER...before you pursue that adventure...may I suggest (based on your diagnoses of GAD and ADHD) that you try hypnosis first? As I've said before...the exam does not test your knowledge, but only your ability to 'conform' to the standards of the majority. Sometimes, it is only ourselves that 'stand in the way'.

Have you taken the exam twice already...how close were you to passing?

I have applied twice for extended time on the COMLEX 1 and was rejected both times. I saw two different psychologists and we applied with anxiety first and then adhd and anxiety as reasons for extended time on the comlex. I have never finished a test on time since college began and doubt that I will ever pass all the licensing tests without extended time.
I applied with ADHD, which is a disability under the americans with disabilities act but they still rejected my application for extended time. I am very frustrated and am not sure what my best course of action is now. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for how to obtain extended time on the COMLEX!!?? I am considering a third application and the possibility of legal actions. Any suggestions for what to do on a third application or what type of lawyer to hire?

i really don't think legal action is going to work here; they can easily say that X number of test takers finish the test with time to spare, and that time is part of the testing environment, etc etc.

i have a friend who had a similar problem, and she took a course of an anxiolytic mediciation along with her add meds for the week before the test, practiced taking the test multiple times in a timed environment, and she did fine..train yourself to take the test blocks in 5-10 minutes less than what you have on the real comlex, i know it's easier said than done, but you have 8 hours to take the exam, you can do it. :thumbup: