I am really scared about going from a BA at rutgers to a pharmacy school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am a high school senior. I am seriously interested in doing pharmacy now. The thing is, in new jersey, we only have one pharmacy school. Rutgers Ernest Mario. I will probably not get in but here's to hoping I will.
I have a 3.64/4.0 gpa, 640 math, 580 critical reading, 610 writing, 10 essay (1220/1600, 1830/2400)
i have some extra curriculars, office position in foreign language honor society for this year. I have no volunteering because I honestly had no idea of its importance up until this summer.

I applied to St. Johns pharmacy too, only because I got a free application.
The reason is because I don't feel ready to go so far away from home.
I am really shy. I have no friends, even though I'm not like a creep or anything. It's just because I'm so shy, i can't get close to people to call them friends.

The last thing I need is to be away from my parents AND have no friends.

that's why I decided I'll stay close to home and major in chemistry at rutgers New brunswick. I'm still waiting to be accepted.

There are 12 pharmacy schools that I can apply to, they are in New York and Pennsylvania.

I am sure I will not apply to 2 of those because some of their requirements are about ethics and other things that I will definitely not be able to do and fulfill the prerequisites for every other school at a glance.

I'm just scared if I will be able to complete all the required courses in the 4 years at rutgers....

has anyone else been in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a high school senior. I am seriously interested in doing pharmacy now. The thing is, in new jersey, we only have one pharmacy school. Rutgers Ernest Mario. I will probably not get in but here's to hoping I will.
I have a 3.64/4.0 gpa, 640 math, 580 critical reading, 610 writing, 10 essay (1220/1600, 1830/2400)
i have some extra curriculars, office position in foreign language honor society for this year. I have no volunteering because I honestly had no idea of its importance up until this summer.

I am really shy. I have no friends, even though I'm not like a creep or anything. It's just because I'm so shy, i can't get close to people to call them friends.

that's why I decided I'll stay close to home and major in chemistry at rutgers New brunswick. I'm still waiting to be accepted.

There are 12 pharmacy schools that I can apply to, they are in New York and Pennsylvania.

I am sure I will not apply to 2 of those because some of their requirements are about ethics and other things that I will definitely not be able to do and fulfill the prerequisites for every other school at a glance.

I'm just scared if I will be able to complete all the required courses in the 4 years at rutgers....

Getting a degree allows for plenty of room for electives where you can fit in your pre-reqs for pharmacy. Many of us get our degrees along with doing the pre-reqs for pharmacy (I also took ethics courses and many others not required). Did you get AP credits? That will also allow for more room.

You are only a senior in high school; trust me, you will mature SO MUCH in college and that will help you to decide where you want to go to pharmacy school.

So take your last year in high school and enjoy it. When you get to college, get an adviser to help you to fit everything in 4 years, join some clubs to help with your shyness, and be sure to get some pharmacy experience (either volunteering or applying to be a technician) to help your application and confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok, so first thing is first, if you don't get into a 6 year program just go to Rutgers and do whatever you would like to do to obtain a B.S. After that, you can apply to a 4 year pharmacy school. You can also try to finish the pre-reqs and apply your second year of college, I think it's the 2+4 option.

Second thing is, you need to move out of your d*** house. It's one thing to be shy and what not, staying at home in your basement isn't going to solve anything. Get out of your house, meet some girls, hang out. Yes, its going to be hard, awkward, and it will suck at first but it will get easier over time. If you think it's really a serious issue (social anxiety), get some therapy.

Ok, so first thing is first, if you don't get into a 6 year program just go to Rutgers and do whatever you would like to do to obtain a B.S. After that, you can apply to a 4 year pharmacy school. You can also try to finish the pre-reqs and apply your second year of college, I think it's the 2+4 option.

Second thing is, you need to move out of your d*** house. It's one thing to be shy and what not, staying at home in your basement isn't going to solve anything. Get out of your house, meet some girls, hang out. Yes, its going to be hard, awkward, and it will suck at first but it will get easier over time. If you think it's really a serious issue (social anxiety), get some therapy.

I like the above. 0+6 programs are nice, but so is attending a school with the possibility of obtaining a bachelors. You can get in either way, and the bachelors route offers the possibility of still getting in at 2 years.

What kind of environment do you think you'd like working in? Unless it involves being in a hole with no one else, you're going to have to get over being shy and start developing interpersonal skills.

They're so important, and so lacking, that schools pretty much require it in their curriculum, but you can't really learn them in an easy one-semester course. Time to move out. Of your comfort zone at least. :)