*** Official UT Dental Branch c/o 2015 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon62690

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UTDB offers are starting to roll in! Who's in with me? Post all things UTDB related here :]

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
you guys should form a facebook group :thumbup:

I'm in too! and two other St. Thomas grads!

Me too =)) could you guys let me know why you chose UTDB??

Me too =)) could you guys let me know why you chose UTDB??
I was at one of the interview lunches recently and I forgot to mention this to the interviewees. I interviewed late November at UTDB last year and had interviewed at both San Antonio and Baylor beforehand, so I knew what the other schools' pros and cons were.

Here's are the 3 biggest reasons why I chose to come to Houston.
1) When we toured the school, I got that impression that the students here were extremely laid back. After being here for a semester, I can honestly say that the environment here is what I was expecting. Sure it can get stressful with exams and such, but overall my classmates get along with each other and we even have a pretty good relationship with the 2nd year class.
2) Dr. Pierpont and faculty: For those of you that interviewed here, you can back me up when I say that Dr. P is the man. I was extremely impressed of how passionate he is about what he does, but more importantly about UTDB. I've had the chance to speak with him now and then in the hallways and he still remembers my name and even though he's extremely busy will take time to talk to you, ask you how you're doing, etc. The faculty are pretty helpful and do care about you and want to see you succeed. I told this story to the interviewees that I met, but this past Monday morning, we're down in the basement for Dental Anatomy lab. But a couple of the faculty actually told the students that they were assigned that they would like to know them better and basically left for breakfast and hung out for a bit. (unfortunately I wasn't one of the lucky ones :() But that's the kind of stuff that I notice that helps me see that I made the right choice in coming here.

Well reason #3 and #2 can't be interchangeable I think, but the 3rd reason why I decided on UTDB is the new dental school. I'm sure when you guys were here for the interview that was used as a huge selling point, but none of the other Texas schools are going to have a new building any time soon. So when we start treating patients in year 3, we will have spanking new clinics and labs, which is exciting. On top of that the new dental school building is being built a very short walking distance from UT Housing and med-center apartments.

With all that information, the best advice I can give you is remember how you felt during your interviews and see which school gave you the best "vibe." You were there because the schools invited you for an interview, but you also should have taken the opportunity to "interview" the school and see if the school was a match for you. You're going to be there for 4 years and its important to be in an environment that you'll be comfortable and happy in. All 3 schools can provide you with the education that you need to be a dentist, but I felt that UTDB provided me opportunities to do and be so much more. I just felt good about this school and I'm glad I made the decision to come here.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed a break from studying and wanted to give back and help other future classmates and colleagues. Well have fun with your decision and good luck. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you next fall.:thumbup::thumbup:

I was at one of the interview lunches recently and I forgot to mention this to the interviewees. I interviewed late November at UTDB last year and had interviewed at both San Antonio and Baylor beforehand, so I knew what the other schools' pros and cons were.

Here's are the 3 biggest reasons why I chose to come to Houston.
1) When we toured the school, I got that impression that the students here were extremely laid back. After being here for a semester, I can honestly say that the environment here is what I was expecting. Sure it can get stressful with exams and such, but overall my classmates get along with each other and we even have a pretty good relationship with the 2nd year class.
2) Dr. Pierpont and faculty: For those of you that interviewed here, you can back me up when I say that Dr. P is the man. I was extremely impressed of how passionate he is about what he does, but more importantly about UTDB. I've had the chance to speak with him now and then in the hallways and he still remembers my name and even though he's extremely busy will take time to talk to you, ask you how you're doing, etc. The faculty are pretty helpful and do care about you and want to see you succeed. I told this story to the interviewees that I met, but this past Monday morning, we're down in the basement for Dental Anatomy lab. But a couple of the faculty actually told the students that they were assigned that they would like to know them better and basically left for breakfast and hung out for a bit. (unfortunately I wasn't one of the lucky ones :() But that's the kind of stuff that I notice that helps me see that I made the right choice in coming here.

Well reason #3 and #2 can't be interchangeable I think, but the 3rd reason why I decided on UTDB is the new dental school. I'm sure when you guys were here for the interview that was used as a huge selling point, but none of the other Texas schools are going to have a new building any time soon. So when we start treating patients in year 3, we will have spanking new clinics and labs, which is exciting. On top of that the new dental school building is being built a very short walking distance from UT Housing and med-center apartments.

With all that information, the best advice I can give you is remember how you felt during your interviews and see which school gave you the best "vibe." You were there because the schools invited you for an interview, but you also should have taken the opportunity to "interview" the school and see if the school was a match for you. You're going to be there for 4 years and its important to be in an environment that you'll be comfortable and happy in. All 3 schools can provide you with the education that you need to be a dentist, but I felt that UTDB provided me opportunities to do and be so much more. I just felt good about this school and I'm glad I made the decision to come here.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed a break from studying and wanted to give back and help other future classmates and colleagues. Well have fun with your decision and good luck. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you next fall.:thumbup::thumbup:

Along with my classmate of 2014 I agree. School (study wise) and the curriculum is basically is going to be the same at all three schools, but you have to choose which one is best for you. I chose UTDB because, as stated, it seemed really laid back and relaxed. I don't like to stress myself out about anything, much less school, and UTDB seemed to have a laid back and chill aura when I visited during my interviews. The students were nice and now that I go here, it's even better. The faculty usually works with you and a new school is being built as well. As the email stated, it's more of a family and bonding experience with the whole school rather then just studying and books all day.

dude, what are you studying for? The Texans are about to play and we have all weekend for our 4 finals and our practical next week :D

Thanks guys!! really appreciate the info =)) I really really liked houston cause of the vibe and the whole new school thing like you guys mentioned, but the majority of the people i know wanted baylor instead.. maybe because we're all from the area lol. I was just afraid that Houston would be like a really hot guy, but no real, erm, substance?? so i want to go but not sure.. haha, either way all the texas schools are good!! =))

Got accepted to both UT Houston and Baylor! Really don't know what I am gonna pick yet, but I really liked UTDB. I'm a little confused with the financial information that Dr. P gave my interview group though. Here is the official info from the website:

Tuition
Resident
First Year $14,625
Second Year$14,625
Third Year $14,625
Fourth Year $14,625

Fees
First Year $4,757.54
Second Year$4,563.54
Third Year $5,477.54
Fourth Year $5,544.54

Instruments and Books
First Year $7,632
Second Year$6,602
Third Year $1,894
Fourth Year $957

However, during our interview I wrote down some things that Dr. P went through and he said Baylor is about $72,000 for the 4 years, UTDB is $82,000, and UT San Antonio is $96,000. When I crunch the numbers he was right for Baylor, but significantly lower for UTDB. Got any input on if I'm missing something?

Got accepted to both UT Houston and Baylor! Really don't know what I am gonna pick yet, but I really liked UTDB. I'm a little confused with the financial information that Dr. P gave my interview group though. Here is the official info from the website:

Tuition
Resident
First Year $14,625
Second Year$14,625
Third Year $14,625
Fourth Year $14,625

Fees
First Year $4,757.54
Second Year$4,563.54
Third Year $5,477.54
Fourth Year $5,544.54

Instruments and Books
First Year $7,632
Second Year$6,602
Third Year $1,894
Fourth Year $957

However, during our interview I wrote down some things that Dr. P went through and he said Baylor is about $72,000 for the 4 years, UTDB is $82,000, and UT San Antonio is $96,000. When I crunch the numbers he was right for Baylor, but significantly lower for UTDB. Got any input on if I'm missing something?

I'm so jealous of you all...your state schools are so CHEAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP compared to some of the other state schools (i.e., CA!!!) lucccccccccccky and congrats on getting in

Tuition
Resident
First Year $14,625
Second Year$14,625
Third Year $14,625
Fourth Year $14,625

Fees
First Year $4,757.54
Second Year$4,563.54
Third Year $5,477.54
Fourth Year $5,544.54

Instruments and Books
First Year $7,632
Second Year$6,602
Third Year $1,894
Fourth Year $957

Don't know if this is much help but I believe the tuition and fees are correct, but the instruments and books may be a bit skewed. We had to pay about 4000 for our first year kit, but I didn't even buy any books at all so that deducts some from that category.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! so there's a fb page for san antonio and baylor but i can't find one for houston?? if there isn't one yet then i don't mind making it =))

Anyone know the actual names to the nearby apartments/housing? Also, anyone got any idea of pricing?

I had my interview in August but I did not receive an offer. I just wondering how many offers are sent in the first round?
I have a 21 AA in DAT and above 3.9 GPA. Could anyone tell me what are my chances of still getting an offer?:(
Thanks

Anyone know the actual names to the nearby apartments/housing? Also, anyone got any idea of pricing?

Lots of people live in student housing, but that is a first-come first-serve deal and is somewhat difficult to get into. Website here:

http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index2.htm

Many others in our class live at other surrounding apartment complexes. Off the top of my head, here are a few that come to mind:
Lofts at Hermann Park
Amli
Amalfi

I got lucky at one of the above and have rent that is comparable to student housing. However, this is the exception rather than the rule, and the student housing is the more affordable option in most cases, especially if you want your own place.

Anyway, congratulations to all who have gained admittance, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

(Now, back to studying for histology :eek: )

Anyone know what typical utility fees are at the student housing? Or Cable/Internet?

Anyone know what typical utility fees are at the student housing? Or Cable/Internet?

Check out the website that skifastorclimb has put up... You will get the info on the housing prices (1 bedrooms from 650ish upward in the new housing).
New housing is newer -- has washer dryer in the unit.
Old housing is older and has coin operated machine within the complex (walkable distance).

Utility:
Electricity: ~20ish (higher during summer ofcourse... I am assuming closer to 50? not sure)
Internet: AT&T had a good deal for $15 a month
Cable: not sure
***student housing does NOT provide a specific electric/internet/cable provider. You need to hunt for deals yourself!!!***

Something to think about:
if you stay at student housing or somewhere within walkable distance, you can ride the shuttle to the school. This link will give you an idea of the area: http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/parking/shuttle_route.htm
Many students even park on the side of the street (El Paseo) and hop on the shuttle.

Last edited:
Check out the website that skifastorclimb has put up... You will get the info on the housing prices (1 bedrooms from 650ish upward in the new housing).
New housing is newer -- has washer dryer in the unit.
Old housing is older and has coin operated machine within the complex (walkable distance).

Utility:
Electricity: ~20ish (higher during summer ofcourse... I am assuming closer to 50? not sure)
Internet: AT&T had a good deal for $15 a month
Cable: not sure
***student housing does NOT provide a specific electric/internet/cable provider. You need to hunt for deals yourself!!!***

Something to think about:
if you stay at student housing or somewhere within walkable distance, you can ride the shuttle to the school. This link will give you an idea of the area: http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/parking/shuttle_route.htm
Many students even park on the side of the street (El Paseo) and hop on the shuttle.

Thanks icedspice!

How do I apply as early as possible for the housing? How does this waitlist work?

I called and the lady said I couldn't submit my app for an apartment until the third week in january, but I also saw somewhere that they make the waitlist the third week in january, in which case I would miss the list if they receive my stuff after they have already made it. Im going to apply to move in in june b/c I heard you have a better chance at getting an apt if you say you'll move in in june rather than august.

So basically, what should I do to maximize my chances at the student housing? (Mainly when do I send my app in)

Thanks icedspice!

How do I apply as early as possible for the housing? How does this waitlist work?

I called and the lady said I couldn't submit my app for an apartment until the third week in january, but I also saw somewhere that they make the waitlist the third week in january, in which case I would miss the list if they receive my stuff after they have already made it. Im going to apply to move in in june b/c I heard you have a better chance at getting an apt if you say you'll move in in june rather than august.

So basically, what should I do to maximize my chances at the student housing? (Mainly when do I send my app in)

yes yes yes!! June is around the best time to apply because students are moving out and they would rather give it to you than someone who wants to move in August...

So, about the waiting list. It is really silly. I was curious so I called them up to see how it works.
For UT students (you guys, wooHoOO): it needs to be mailed in by or You need to be there on January 20th.
Option 1: Be there at 8am with paperwork + check.
Option 2: If you are not in Houston/can't make it, mail it in. I am guessing you can have it express mailed? In that way, you can make sure that it reached on the exact day (One day shipping?).

I did ask her whether you can fax in the form on 20th and make sure that the check gets in on the 20th as well (some banks will have it reach by a particular date). She said, don't do that because they would rather have all the information in one place (no hassles of checks getting lost... or if they receive your application but no check, then your app will be disregarded, etc).
But yes, she was very clear about the not sending it in BEFORE jan 20th or it will be SENT back to you!!!!!

hope that helps!

Clarification on my last post for housing.

Apply ON Jan 20th (by mail or in person)

I would call and clarify with the office about what date to put in as a move in date.
Once they reach you on the wait list, I would assume they would call you and give you the next available housing option to you -- along with when the move in dates are for them.
If at that time, the move in day suits your time (august, for example), perfect. If it is a June/July move in, then you would have to move in early or they would give that spot to someone else.

That being said,
if you do get a June or July move in, TAKE IT.
You would be spending around 6-700 on each month, but for how nice the housing is (and you are surrounded by UT/Baylor/affiliated schools), it is CHEAP.. do your research elsewhere and usually you will find 1 bedrooms for much much more expensive. So you will recover your 6-700$s pretty quick :)

anyone know when the 2nd round of acceptances will occur? it was on Jan. 19 for last year's cycle so I just wanted to knoww

anyone know when the 2nd round of acceptances will occur? it was on Jan. 19 for last year's cycle so I just wanted to knoww

I'd also be interested in hearing an answer if anyone has any ideas or input!! Also does anyone know if all interviews which are made before that Jan. 19th deadline will be considered?? As in the early January interviews when do people start hearing back about those?? Any info that yall can provide will be great!!

University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston effective June 1st.

I had my interview early January and got my acceptance email Feb 16. Still deciding between here and NYU...but I think Im going to stick with my alma mater!! Im surprised no one has posted since Feb. 16, hmmm...

BTW..Does anyone know where we can post to find a roommate, not interested in UT housing, probably med ctr apts...PM me!

Last edited:
I had my interview early January and got my acceptance email Feb 16. Still deciding between here and NYU...but I think Im going to stick with my alma mater!! Im surprised no one has posted since Feb. 16, hmmm...

BTW..Does anyone know where we can post to find a roommate, not interested in UT housing, probably med ctr apts...PM me!

Why don't you ask around in your class facebook page. You might have better luck there.

Congrats to all you guys !! I am a 4th year student at UTDB. I have a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath home in the Med center. Its only 10 drive to UT dental branch. Im looking to rent out a room in my house for only $500/month. Everything is furnished so all you have to do is move in stuff for your room. I even have a bed available for you. The other roommate is my brother which is a 1st year. So everyone here can help you out with whatever questions you have cause we've all been through it. Feel free to call/text me at 832-434-6683 or email me at [email protected]. Thanks guys :)