*****Official UNC Dental School c/0 2015 acceptance thread*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BadgerBoy23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to find an official thread for UNC class of 2015, so I figured it was about time to start one. Anyways, congratulations to everyone! Can't wait to move to Chapel Hill!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Badger, and congrats to you and everyone else accepted. I'm looking forward to meeting you all in the fall.

Thanks Wilson! I started a facebook group, so if you want to join feel free. It is called "UNC DDS Class of 2015":D

Which interview date did you go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I see yours and requested to join, and there is also another one too. I interviewed Oct. 16. When did you interview?

Accepted OOS to UNC
Interviewed on Oct. 16th, the 2nd wave.
Not committed though, currently considering NOVA

Congrats to all those accepted and others yet to be!

Yeah I see yours and requested to join, and there is also another one too. I interviewed Oct. 16. When did you interview?

Yea I interviewed on Oct. 16th as well! Are you instate or out of state? Do you know anything about housing in Chapel Hill?

I'm in-state. I know very little in regards to housing in CH. In fact, I believe somebody may have posted a link on the facebook group page. My buddy who's a student up there, is going to show me around some places within the next month. I'll be happy to share some information once I start looking.

MrWilson, that would be great! I heard that living in Chapel Hill is fairly expensive and hard to find. When I went to that pre-interview night, some students said they just bought a house right outside CH near Raleigh and commute in every day via the bus. Just something to suggest.

Either way, please let us know if you find any good housing info.

Congrats to everyone accepted and can't wait to meet you all!

MrWilson, that would be great! I heard that living in Chapel Hill is fairly expensive and hard to find. When I went to that pre-interview night, some students said they just bought a house right outside CH near Raleigh and commute in every day via the bus. Just something to suggest.

Either way, please let us know if you find any good housing info.

Congrats to everyone accepted and can't wait to meet you all!

I'm a UNC Alumn ('06). The definition of "high cost of living" is all relative...

From my experiences of living in Chicago and Boston post college - UNC is third-world country dirt cheap.

However, if you have lived in super rural areas then you may think UNC is pricey.

You can find a snazzy apartment for under $700.00/month - just go on craigslist at the appropriate time.

It's WAAAAAAY too early to start looking for housing in the fall (rental). You would want to wait until Spring to start looking for a decent spot. I cannot speak for the housing/condo market.

Personally, I think it would be miserable to live in Durham/Raleigh area - the commute with traffic is 25+ min. The night life in Chapel Hill is much more affordable and "hip."

I would think it would be ideal to be near the dental school and mitigate commutes as much as possible...but diff. strokes for diff. folks.

If you all have questions about UNC, the Chapel Hill area, renting places, where you can find your "F!ck Dook" apparel...etc...etc...then feel free to message me. I'm more than happy to help!

Congrats guys and looking forward to meeting some new faces in the fall.

Look forward to spending the next 4 years with you guys. Sorry I don't know a thing about living in the hill, I am a Greensboro, NC native. Has anyone received their packet in the mail yet?

If you all have questions about UNC, the Chapel Hill area, renting places, where you can find your "F!ck Dook" apparel...etc...etc...then feel free to message me. I'm more than happy to help! ...

SAME! I'm a student at Carolina now. If y'all have questions about where to live or what are good places just ask! or PM.

I noticed today on AADSAS that my status changed from 'Under Review' to 'Offer Accepted'. Just for pure curiousity sake, did everyone else's status change to the same thing or to 'Offer Made'? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea mine changed to "Offer Accepted." It says that they have received my $500 deposit, but I haven't sent that in yet....

Congrats to everyone!!!! I have a friend who graduated last year and she says most students start looking for houses during winter break, but that you can always find an apartment that's 10 mins. away almost anytime? I'm planning on going up there and talking with the rental agencies/property managers in a week or so...I'll tell everyone what I've heard after my visit...Also if anyone plans on being up there during that time give me an email and if you want to look around together

Congrats to everyone!!!! I have a friend who graduated last year and she says most students start looking for houses during winter break, but that you can always find an apartment that's 10 mins. away almost anytime? I'm planning on going up there and talking with the rental agencies/property managers in a week or so...I'll tell everyone what I've heard after my visit...Also if anyone plans on being up there during that time give me an email and if you want to look around together

Hello everyone, my status also changed to "offer accepted", I have not received the package in the mail yet. I found one group created by Mike on facebook called UNC DDS class of 2015, what is the title of the other one?

Howellm4- i currently live in raleigh area and graduated from NC state in may 2010, i am not really familiar with the chapel hill area at all!! What dates are you planning on going to look around? I would love to do that! Also, can anyone shout out the names of the few communities/apartments that would be near the dental school or know any communities where previous/current dental students have chosen to live at???

Thank you all, i am extremely excited about this entire journey and look forward to meeting you all:):)

Hey dentalwork, the title of the other group is the same 'unc dds class of 2015'. When you type that phrase in the search, don't click on the old group if it happens to pop down from the search blank, just hit enter, and the other group should show up. Looking forward to meeting you in the fall.

Boom: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/

Craigslist should be one of your best buddies as you look in to housing for the Fall 2011. I have used the service in numerous cities: Chapel Hill, Chicago, and Boston and have had 0 issues.

There is also a housing discussion/link in one of those fb groups. Also, one of the FB groups has current UNC Dental Students actively participating in the threads - I'm sure they will be able to answer your questions regarding housing.

My post below is only in reference to Apartments for rent (not the housing/condo/rent to own market of the Greater Chapel Hill Area).

Chapel Hill is a college town, therefore, prime housing becomes available/will be heavily advertised towards mid-to-late spring/time of graduation.

You all should definitely check the area out, but like everything else during this process - I would be patient on locking down a future residence.

I'm sure there are a few scattered hidden gems at this time (Winter) for rent availability in the fall, but current students are more than likely living in the best housing possible with leases that run in to Aug/Sept.

A majority of landlords are not putting the squeeze on current tenants to resign for the fall at this time.

If you are looking to stay close to campus/school (~15 min walk) then try and find housing as close to Franklin St/ Carrboro as possible.

The further you go from campus (i.e. Durham) the cheaper the rent will become. The closer you are to Franklin St. the higher the rent.

I plan on living off of Airport rd. which intersects Franklin and hosts numerous apartment complexes and houses.

The bus system in the Research Triangle Area is very efficient - check out:

http://www.ridetta.org/Bus_Shuttle/...BetweenRaleighDurhamandRaleighChapelHill.html

to help you as you scope out residences that are close to a bus line.

Again, feel free to contact me if you have specific questions. I'm all about my future class mates living in great pads!

Best!

From what I heard the cost of living was actually pretty cheap down there.

Hey yall! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. I look forward to meeting all of you!:)

Howdy, fellers. The facebook group that the D1's and D2's setup for you is "UNC DDS Class of 2015". It has a picture from the cover the NC dental review as its profile picture. I think another group was started independently by a 2015'er.

We've uploaded a bit of housing information and some other tidbits. I'd expect that current dental students looking for roommates, etc. will be posting to that group, so it may be worth your while to join up.

Look forward to seeing all of you in the fall. Get some rest in the meantime.

For those who still are waiting to hear, keep your heads up. Typically, half of the class is selected in February.

who has received the acceptance packet from UNC? and please tell me where you are in NC or out of state? I am still waiting for mine, and i am from NC!!

I received my packet on Thursday. I am in state and live in Greensboro. I'm sure you will get it soon.

I received my packet on Thursday. I am in state and live in Greensboro. I'm sure you will get it soon.

Thank you for the update, i am in the triangle area and haven't received it yet! I was hoping to have it delivered by Saturday at least if they were sent out on Wednesday since i am only 30 minutes from chapel hill. Is anyone else on the same boat??? This wait is just killing me...also, status was updated on aadsas to offer made, and congratulations!

Hey everybody! Don't forget to set up your onyen with UNC. You use the PID number received in your packet to do it. I didn't see anything in the packet about setting up the onyen but i know they talked about how important it is to do so at the interview. Here's the website:

https://onyen.unc.edu/cgi-bin/unc_id/services

Hey everyone,

So I'm currently deciding between UNC and some other schools. Does anyone know how many students receive scholarships, and how much an award is? There appear to be a lot of scholarships available for every grade.

Also, does UNC allow students to tack on an extra year for joint or dual degree programs? I didn't see anything being mentioned.

Thanks!

Hello!!! Just found out that I will be attending in the fall as well!! I cant wait to meet you all! :eek: :D

does anyone know if getting married decreases your chances of getting a need based scholarship?