-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Summer Research Programs 2011
Started by smarts1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted357625
I'm interested in getting involved with some research during the summer.
Is there a price tag on these programs or what? I'm clueless when it comes to research, If i don't do it this summer i will most likely get involved next spring for sure.
Is there a price tag on these programs or what? I'm clueless when it comes to research, If i don't do it this summer i will most likely get involved next spring for sure.
torshi, lots of them pay YOU a stipend.
this site is a pretty good compilation:
http://www.asbmb.org/summerresearchprogram/Landing.aspx
this site is a pretty good compilation:
http://www.asbmb.org/summerresearchprogram/Landing.aspx
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As of now, only an in-state program that I'm feeling pretty confident about, since it's fairly small.
Better site: https://www.aamc.org/members/great/61052/great_summerlinks.html
Better site: https://www.aamc.org/members/great/61052/great_summerlinks.html
I'm interested in getting involved with some research during the summer.
Is there a price tag on these programs or what? I'm clueless when it comes to research, If i don't do it this summer i will most likely get involved next spring for sure.
A lot of these programs are very, very difficult to get into (like a 2-3% acceptance rate)... So if you really want to go, you need to apply to a lot of them.
I'm currently a first year university student who is currently classified as a sophomore by total hours. By the summer, I'll have achieved junior standing. I currently do virology research at a lab on campus, and have been for a few months. My cGPA is 4.0 but only after 18 hours actually taken on campus. Would I be at all competitive for these programs, or will I likely need to wait a year before really being considered for summer research opportunities.
I guess if all else fails, I'll probably stay on campus this summer and continue in my current lab, develop my own project in the lab and apply for grants.
I guess if all else fails, I'll probably stay on campus this summer and continue in my current lab, develop my own project in the lab and apply for grants.
Actually there is one program that I know about that is only for freshmen and sophomores. It's in the NY/NJ area.I've heard that programs normally have a preference for juniors, then talented sophomores, then on very rare occasions, freshman. Is this true?
http://www.neramedprep.org/home.html
SMDEP is only for freshman/sophomores.
A lot of these programs are very, very difficult to get into (like a 2-3% acceptance rate)... So if you really want to go, you need to apply to a lot of them.
I've caught on to that as well. The thing that sucks is that they all usually require 2-3 LORs. I feel terrible about asking professors to write a letter of recommendation and then send to a dozen places. Anybody find some sort of solution to this?
Actually there is one program that I know about that is only for freshmen and sophomores. It's in the NY/NJ area.
http://www.neramedprep.org/home.html
NERA Med Prep is only for URM and economically/educationally disadvantaged individuals. They won't even look at your application if you aren't.
i feel like these programs are way overrated. and most promote the whole URM thing.
NERA Med Prep is only for URM and economically/educationally disadvantaged individuals. They won't even look at your application if you aren't.
how do you know?
How good does your GPA have to be?
I've done sh*tty my last 2 semesters, ending up with a 3.2...but my chem GPA is pretty high (perhaps apply to some chem program)
I've done sh*tty my last 2 semesters, ending up with a 3.2...but my chem GPA is pretty high (perhaps apply to some chem program)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how do you know?
I applied when I was a freshman and spoke to a member of the committee that reviewed applications. He told me IN THESE EXACT WORDS, "you really do not meet the requirements of admittance for the NERA Program, primarily being underrepresented or educationally/economically disadvantaged".
I applied when I was a freshman and spoke to a member of the committee that reviewed applications. He told me IN THESE EXACT WORDS, "you really do not meet the requirements of admittance for the NERA Program, primarily being underrepresented or educationally/economically disadvantaged".
damn that sucks. i would have really liked to go to that program, i guess i shouldn't bother applying. my parents residential address alone would count me out.
D
deleted357625
I want to get involved and I'm clueless. If someone can message me additional info about the whole process and how to apply etc and what's needed. I would appreciate it.
D
deleted357625
When a summer research program says you should have at least 3 Months of research is that required?
When a summer research program says you should have at least 3 Months of research is that required?
You have to realize that many of the applicants to these programs have a lot of research experience, so if a program explicitly says that you need to have spent a certain amount of time in the lab, you're wasting your time applying if you don't. I have an okay amount of research under my belt, but I'm still avoiding the programs that say that they're looking for people with a real research history.
Last edited:
D
deleted357625
SMDEP is only for freshman/sophomores
Is this not as competitive?
What are some good programs available?
D
deleted357625
You have to realize that many of the applicants to these programs have a lot of research experience, so if a program explicitly says that you need to have spent a certain amount of time in the lab, you're wasting your time applying if you don't. I have an okay amount of research under my belt, but I'm still avoiding the programs that say that they're looking for people with a real research history.
Are most like this? I only found one that said you have to have research experience. There's a lot where it doesnt say.
What programs are available that are not competitive?
Are most like this? I only found one that said you have to have research experience. There's a lot where it doesnt say.
What programs are available that are not competitive?
I doubt many programs exist that aren't competitive. If you want to feel confident in applying I would recommend getting some hands on lab experience this year to see if you actually like research and apply next year unless you are a junior right now.
Are these different than REUs?
Are all of you interested in MD/PhD? I personally feel like it may be overkill for the average MD applicant UNLESS you are extremely interested in research of course.
No. I do research and I'm applying MD only. Research is important for all specialties, it's what moves medicine forward.
You have to realize that many of the applicants to these programs have a lot of research experience, so if a program explicitly says that you need to have spent a certain amount of time in the lab, you're wasting your time applying if you don't. I have an okay amount of research under my belt, but I'm still avoiding the programs that say that they're looking for people with a real research history.
IAWTC. Most of these programs are very competitive and only a few individuals out of the pool are selected. Chances are there are applicants with tons of research, who will obviously be considered first. I think it would be a waste of time to apply to a program that states they clearly want somebody with research experience if you don't have any.
Are most like this? I only found one that said you have to have research experience. There's a lot where it doesnt say.
What programs are available that are not competitive?
They are all competitive.
Yep, most helpful for people interested in MD/PhD or the research giants for MD.Are all of you interested in MD/PhD? I personally feel like it may be overkill for the average MD applicant UNLESS you are extremely interested in research of course.
Yep, most helpful for people interested in MD/PhD or the research giants for MD.
Not exactly accurate... If you are applying to extremely competitive schools (Ivy, Hopkins, Stanford, etc...), research is usually a must requirement for admission. Having said that, you may get in without one, but let's just say most people who apply have researches.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When a summer research program says you should have at least 3 Months of research is that required?
Most definitely yes. A lot of these programs are looking for students with lots of research experience so that they can add to the research at their universities. 10 weeks isn't a long time to do research and present it, so they want to make sure that you can do the work.
Part of the reason why many programs are only for sophomores or for juniors are because many of these programs realize that many freshman don't have a lot of research experience.
haha my hopes of being accepted to these programs have gone down the drain so quickly.
I hate being an asian, male, sophomore with limited research experience and a sGPA below a 3.9 😛
I hate being an asian, male, sophomore with limited research experience and a sGPA below a 3.9 😛
If you have taken a class from a community college would you calculate that grade into your gpa, and then enter it into the field, or would you just write down the gpa from your primary institution?
Also many of these programs ask for a degree objective, is MD only looked upon less favorably than MD/PHD for these programs?
Thanks
Also many of these programs ask for a degree objective, is MD only looked upon less favorably than MD/PHD for these programs?
Thanks
Thanks for your reply Sahren.
The programs I was planning on applying to were the Mayo clinic, and the Amgen summer programs. How does it look for those two? I know their site seems to prefer PHD's, but will saying my primary target is an MD only hurt my chances?
Thanks
The programs I was planning on applying to were the Mayo clinic, and the Amgen summer programs. How does it look for those two? I know their site seems to prefer PHD's, but will saying my primary target is an MD only hurt my chances?
Thanks
D
deleted357625
Thanks for your reply Sahren.
The programs I was planning on applying to were the Mayo clinic, and the Amgen summer programs. How does it look for those two? I know their site seems to prefer PHD's, but will saying my primary target is an MD only hurt my chances?
Thanks
If you tell them you want to pursue an M.D. it might defeat the whole purpose.
If the program is meant for PhD, convince them you really want to research, really not necessary to mention you want to pursue an M.D. because ultimately they will never know.
I applied to around 15 of the most competitive programs last year as a sophomore and got into nada. Hope this year's different, haha.
Dude did you even read what I said?Not exactly accurate... If you are applying to extremely competitive schools (Ivy, Hopkins, Stanford, etc...), research is usually a must requirement for admission. Having said that, you may get in without one, but let's just say most people who apply have researches.
"or the research giants for MD." Most competitive schools = research giants.
You just expounded on what I said but claimed it was wrong. 😕
Dude did you even read what I said?
"or the research giants for MD." Most competitive schools = research giants.
You just expounded on what I said but claimed it was wrong. 😕
Well, the phrase before referred to people, so it wasn't clear as to what "research giants" you meant - schools or students. Looks like I just clarified what you said. 🙄
How's everyone doing with applications so far? I applied to several already and will be applying more. Any specific program in mind (NIH, SIP, SURF, etc...?)
Ah I see, well I apologize for any ambiguity. I thought the "for MD" part would imply that I'm referring to people seeking an MD at a research giant, but whatever, glad to have it cleared up!Well, the phrase before referred to people, so it wasn't clear as to what "research giants" you meant - schools or students. Looks like I just clarified what you said. 🙄
How's everyone doing with applications so far? I applied to several already and will be applying more. Any specific program in mind (NIH, SIP, SURF, etc...?)
I'll get criticized for this, but I'm only applying to a single program as I mentioned before, and the deadline is early March and app. evaluation is non-rolling, so I still haven't submitted mine yet. Part of the choice for this program only is location and timing, and the other is the fact that its a restricted program in terms of accepting applicants (basically instate only) and fairly small (in terms of size and number of applicants,) so I'm expecting an acceptance.

I'll get criticized for this, but I'm only applying to a single program as I mentioned before, and the deadline is early March and app. evaluation is non-rolling, so I still haven't submitted mine yet. Part of the choice for this program only is location and timing, and the other is the fact that its a restricted program in terms of accepting applicants (basically instate only) and fairly small (in terms of size and number of applicants,) so I'm expecting an acceptance.![]()
Not a problem, I think some people here applied to like 1-2 and got into great schools. Just out of curiosity, what kind of research is it? You must be pretty sure on that research to only apply to one! 😀
Thanks!
---
I am looking into doing undergrad research over this summer. Is there any benefit in doing undergrad research at your own school rather than other universities? And do "big names" mean anything here? Does doing research in one place any better than in the other?
Also, somewhat silly question, these programs are free, right?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks!
---
I am looking into doing undergrad research over this summer. Is there any benefit in doing undergrad research at your own school rather than other universities? And do "big names" mean anything here? Does doing research in one place any better than in the other?
Also, somewhat silly question, these programs are free, right?
Almost all research programs I've seen are not only free, but provide a stipend.
One advantage of doing research at your home institution is that it is much easier to continue the project after the summer, increasing the chance you'll get published.
Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but this also works as a bump on the topic, since I have another question.
For those of you who are applying/applied to the cincy program, how long has the application been open? I'm submitting my application tonight, but would like to know how late I am in applying (ie, am I actually being considered for a spot if I submit tonight, or am I only being considered if someone else turns down their spot?)
For those of you who are applying/applied to the cincy program, how long has the application been open? I'm submitting my application tonight, but would like to know how late I am in applying (ie, am I actually being considered for a spot if I submit tonight, or am I only being considered if someone else turns down their spot?)
D
deleted357625
So when do most of these programs notify people? I applied to 11 highly competitive ones after completing the NIH SIP last summer which was down right amazing.
Most of them say March but give no specific dates... Anyone know? 🙂
Can you apply to NIH with no research experience and get accepted? I know some might be more competitive than the others.
Can you apply to NIH with no research experience and get accepted? I know some might be more competitive than the others.
I've heard of people getting accepted, although it's not too common. Give it a shot! Why not?
To everyone else:
Deadline's today, so I hope you all got your apps in. Where'd you all apply to?
Last edited: