DAT Done 3/3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1800RAW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yay. Big thanks to everyone on here that helped answer my questions, really appreciate it

PA-21-87.9%
QR-21-96.4%
RC-21-76.7%
BIO-21-92.3%
GC-22-91.8%
OC-29-98.9%
TS-23-97.8%
AA-23-98.7%

PA
CDP PAT all the way. I was absolutely horrible at this section to start with, I remember going through the PA section of KBB and even finding that difficult, only to find that many people on here commented on how easy it was vs the real thing. Realistically, I just wanted to get an 18+ on this section so I wouldnt have to retake due to a low score, so Im more than happy with a 21.

Compared to the real thing, I'd say that keyholes were on par, although I will say that I got really good at this section really fast, I was getting 15s on just about all the practice tests. TFE seemed a bit easier, but not by too much. Hole punches again seemed a tad easier, although I got one pretty weird one. Cube counting was very similar as well, although there were no illusions and each pattern had less cubes than the CDP tests, which was cool. Angles were...ehh I dunno, its tough to say. I never finished a CDP angle test thinking "wow that section was really easy" and knowing I got a good score, and I had that same lack of approximation on the DAT. Overall it must have been similar because I was averaging low 20s on the CDP tests and got a 21 here so just find something that works for you, practice it a bit, and have the confidence that your performance on practice tests will translate pretty well to the real thing. Pattern folding IMO was a bit tougher, the right answer wasnt always very obvious and oftentimes was recognized from looking at very subtle differences between answer choices. Generally I found that on CDP the right answer choice tended to really stand out. Anyways, save some $$ and get the 5 test version of CDP. When you first start out, work all of your strategies on only one test so you dont become familiar with anything on the other tests. Also, work through that single test a few times w/o looking at the answers until you start getting decent scores, that way youre actually coming up with your own strategies.

QR
I realize a 21 isnt anything godly, but this section seemed pretty easy. There was one word problem that I ended up guessing on but thats because I realized it would take awhile to figure out at the expense of easier questions and skipped it. That, IMO, is the key to doing well on this section. Each question is worth the same amount, dont get bogged down on one difficult one when the next few could be really easy. I used math destroyer for this. Overall, the real thing was extremely similar to MD although on average the questions seemed easier than any given test from destroyer. Really happy to have broken a 20 on this section.

RC
Again, really happy to crack a 20. I didnt do any prep for this section, although I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else. Basically what I did was scan through the passages for no more than 5 mins, and then attacked the questions. By the time you get to the last few questions, youre familiar enough with the passage to really pinpoint where the answers are. I had one really long,annoying ethics passage, one about fungus, and I forget the 3rd one.

BIO
This was....interesting. And by interesting I mean ****ing gay. Dont get me wrong, Im happy with this score and dont wanna be "that guy" complaining about a 21 in bio, but it was really frustrating. I studied ALOT for this section, read cliffs 2-3 times, barrons AP bio once, and about 70% of campbells. I also did a few destroyer questions but they seemed very irrelevant, which ironically is exactly how I'd describe the bio section as opposed to random like most people do. Since the destroyer questions didnt really seem to test on much I learned from cliffs or campbells, I only did 30-40 questions and stopped. So yeah, this section isnt random in the sense that it focuses on little,obscure details of processes, its just irrelevant in that it sucks donkey balls. In retrospect, I would recommend doing the destroyer problems, and reading cliffs a few times.

GC
Overall it was pretty straightfoward, I had one random question on something Ive NEVER seen before and one absolutely ******ed calculation question. The concept itself was very easy as was setting up the calculation, but the answer choices compared to approximating the necessary math were ridiculous. I dont wanna go into too much details about it, but PM me if you want me to explain further. For this section, I used chads videos and went through destroyer once.

OC
This was cake, very straightforward. Pretty sure the one I missed was a disparity I noticed between chads videos and destroyer. I meant to make a thread about it but forgot...Anways, I used chads videos and went through destroyer once for this section.

For those of you looking to begin studying, I would recommend using:
-CDP 5 test version
-Chads videos
-DAT destroyer, do ALL sections, not just the chemistries
-Cliffs AP bio, supplemented with any online sources for fuzzy areas.
-Also optional Math destroyer. Its definitely a valuable resource for QR but its kinda pricey, and if youre solid in math, I dont think its worth the price tag.

Overall Im really happy with my scores, did better than I thought I would. I havent really started looking at schools yet, but do you think I would have a shot at some of the more competitive schools like columbia and stonybrook? I have a 3.91overall and ~3.95 science GPA as well as pretty typical ECs and shadowing experience (nothing too crazy).

Anyways, thanks again to everyone that helped me out throughout this process. Its a pain in the ass, but totally worth it in the end. Let me know if you have any questions and Ill do my best to help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
WOW!! congrats, you rocked the exam :)

i believe with your stats your set to go anywhere you want to :thumbup:

for my sake keep UMDNJ off your list hhaha

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the biology portion of the exam? I'm confused by your statement about destroyer BIO. Also, as I'm prepairing for the DAT i'm comtemplating reading through & taking notes over cambells biology - do you think this would be useful or is barrons, cliffs, and destroyer enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
first of big congrats on your scores...u must be soooo relieved...
my only question is a lot of ppl say the bio section is random...what does that mean? what type of questions (not askin for specific questions at all) but can you elaborate ...or anyone that sees this. im super confused =/ my test is next wk n a getting a little worried

Congrats on an awesome spread! I've never seen so many 21's before!

In all seriousness, you really set yourself up for multiple acceptances and your hard work and motivation paid off.

Wow! Congrats on the scores, they're amazing!

I definitely think you have a shot at Columbia and SB...why wouldn't you? You seem to have a lot of things going right for you (DAT, GPA).

disparity I noticed between chads videos and destroyer. I meant to make a thread about it but forgot...

Could you please elaborate on what the disparity is exactly? It would be helpful for all us hopefuls to know! Thanks!

first of big congrats on your scores...u must be soooo relieved...
my only question is a lot of ppl say the bio section is random...what does that mean? what type of questions (not askin for specific questions at all) but can you elaborate ...or anyone that sees this. im super confused =/ my test is next wk n a getting a little worried

Bio itself is a random subject...it covers so many other sub-subjects!! So because of that you might get questions that will make you make you scratch your head and be like huh? lol

bio is simply too broad of a subject to be limited to only 40 questions and because of that certain concepts wont be tested and others, like genetics, will make up like 3-4 questions of it.

Dont be alarmed though, among your 40 bio questions you will encount 2/3 questions of that "random" nature

wow lots of replies, thanks alot for all the kind words guys, means alot :)
after the inital shock of seeing my AA, i remember laughing a bit at all the 21s haha. not too bad of a number to be stuck on I suppose

yeah my bio breakdown is kinda scatterbrained, I didnt write it all in one sitting. On one hand, random is definitely the way to describe it, some of the questions are completely outta left field and really....well, random. On the other hand, these questions really dont test upon some obscure detail of say, photosynthesis, or phylogeny or any other main biology "theme". I really dont know any other way to describe it other than "irrelevant" or "unrelated." But then again, thats exactly how I would describe the bio questions in destroyer. The reason I didnt really look into them is because the majority of the time, calling upon the knowledge from cliffs or campbells didnt really help with those questions. Unfortunately, I didnt realize this until after the fact, so you should definitely go through the bio questions of destroyer, regardless of how little they seem to correlate with the info presented in cliffs/campbells. theres no doubt in my mind Id have gotten a few point higher on bio if I had.

i studied for...geez, maybe 3 months total? I was also taking classes part time, working part time, and doing some research, so I probably averaged 5-7hrs of DAT studying per day. I really immersed myself in the material, moreso than I would have liked. Im really into powerlifting and when I first started I weighed about 255 and was squatting, benching, and deadlifting about 640/450/650 (raw). Well I went to the gym yesterday and I couldnt even bench 365 and only could squat 455. I also lost around 30lbs and the last 2-3weeks leading up to the exam, would have had no problem being diagnosed as having an anxiety disorder. lol. Honestly, the amount of time I spent studying and stressing over this exam really was unnecessary. The sources I listed in my OP are all tried and true resources used by many people to get great scores; if you know them well, theres no question youll do great.

Im gonna make a separate post regarding the chad/destroyer inconsistency, I dont have my notes here right now. Basically it had to do with lab techniques and whether or not they were used for separation or just identification. Chad explicitly said that TLCs and gas chromo are used strictly for IDing compounds, which for all practical purposes is true, but the fact is those techniques do in fact separate the very small sample of material used and that separation is the basis upon which they are useful for identifying compounds. Destroyer had a question on this and stated that gas chromo and TLCs were infact used to separate compounds, in contrast to chad saying they were strictly ID methods. Ill list the actual destroyer question and which of chads videos he talked about this when I get my stuff.

Ill be applying this summer, I wanna have all my stuff out before july 1st, so thatll give me plenty of time to get my personal statement together.

thanks again for the compliments, theres alot of good people and info on this site and if you guys just follow the basic algorithm of all successful DAT takers, youre all gonna do great. lemme know if you have any more questions

EDIT: i just stumbled on this thread yesterday, these questions are very similar to those on my test and seem to have a few with that random/unrelated element to them.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802287

Last edited:
i just wish i get a 20 or higher in bio..thank you mightyrat n 1800RAW for the website...im thinking of getting it..nothing wrong with taking a few more test questions....i took the first one im getting a score of 19 =/

this test is doable...just the timing portion is scary well thank you guys n lets see what happens next wed for me :scared: