Reading before Residency Starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doko

holla atcha boy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm starting residency in one of the integrated vascular surgery programs, with 3 years of gen surg. Can you recommend any books to read this summer before residency starts? I'm doing a lot of traveling and want some good resources to read while on the plane/beach.

Thanks!

D.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'll throw the other view point out there. I also travelled during the end of my MS4 year. I bought a copy of schwartz, lugged it around and began reading it cover to cover. I spent maybe 2-3 hrs a day reading. I finished sometime during the middle of my PGY2 year. One benefit aside from occasionally looking good during rounds for knowing something rather esoteric is that I didn't have to study much for the absite but still scored >90%. I studied specifically for the absite for 1 week during PGY1, 1 day during PGY2 and a few hours during PGY3. I say just pick a standard text and read it cover to cover and come out of the gate running your intern year.

I'd also like to add that you'll be able to take advantage of the enthusiasm that will later be beaten out of you during residency.

Last edited:
enjoy your self
dont read.

if you must read anything, I suggest "to forgive and remember"
probably the best prep for residency I had.