Research Year Before GS App?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent00

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising M3 considering applying for a research year (between M3 and M4) through the Medical Scholars Research Fellowship. Of note, the fellowship requires the research to be basic instead of clinical research. I am wanting to apply to General Surg and, naturally, I am worried about my chances of matching. Does doing a research year have a positive or negative effect on my application? On one hand, I will get some publications out of the fellowship, but not clinical research (unless I search for side projects during this year too). On the other hand, I don't know if it is a red flag that I would be taking an extra year without achieving any specific extra degree. The fellowship is paid.

General overview:
At a mid-tier MD program.
Won't take Step 1 or Step 2 until after my first year of rotations (Spring of 2023)
Honoring about a third of my rotations at this point
Should have around 3 publications by the time I apply (not including the potential research year). Couple of poster presentations and oral presentations.
Big into teaching -> several teaching projects (making question banks/etc), tutoring M1 courses, currently making money by creating ANKI cards for a company
Random ECs with some leadership positions; volunteer with a free mental health clinic; Worked as an EMT during M1

Thank you for any advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your career goals?

I’d love to match into an academic program for the opportunities to teach, but would be happy in a community program too. I do enjoy research (otherwise I probably wouldn’t even consider this research year) as well, but if given a choice between teaching and research long-term, I’d choose teaching. As a physician, I think I’d appreciate some side research projects, but wouldn’t want a substantial part of my time/career to be only research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d love to match into an academic program for the opportunities to teach, but would be happy in a community program too. I do enjoy research (otherwise I probably wouldn’t even consider this research year) as well, but if given a choice between teaching and research long-term, I’d choose teaching. As a physician, I think I’d appreciate some side research projects, but wouldn’t want a substantial part of my time/career to be only research.
Personally I think the research year is a waste. Unless your goal is to a top program with desires to chase grants and run a lab I’m not sure a basic science research year will be of much utility with what you want to do at this stage. You can definitely match a strong academic program coming from a mid tier MD program without one.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally I think the research year is a waste. Unless your goal is to a top program with desires to chase grants and run a lab I’m not sure a basic science research year will be of much utility with what you want to do at this stage. You can definitely match a strong academic program coming from a mid tier MD program without one.
Thank you! I’ve been back and forth on this for a while so getting an extra opinion is great!

Keep in mind that basic science research is incredibly slow, and honestly, at the end of 1 year as a med student in a lab, you will probably have 0 papers published, maybe 1-2 things submitted, unless it's one of those labs where they throw every member on every project.

Reactions: 1 user
Would not do a research year if your board scores are reasonable. Absolute waste of time. If you want to go into surg onc or peds surg just do the research years at a 7 year program. Only do a research year if you want to do one of those two things AND your board scores are prohibitive for getting you into university city for residency.

If you're one of those "happy in anything, figure it out during residency" people apply broadly and enjoy the ride. If you want to go into vascular, god bless your soul but you're choosing wrong, and you don't need the research year. We'll see if Lucid sees this. XD

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn’t do the research Year now. Have plenty of time for that once you’re in residency and preparing to apply for fellowship.