Combining Medical and Radiation Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fibonacci011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any talk about combining the two fields into one field, just Non-Surgical Oncology. Seems like it would be a really interesting field if they did. I think it would be great to have knowledge in both areas and be able to manage your patients medically and with radiation therapy.

Members don't see this ad.

It would take a minimum of nine years of training to combine medical oncology (internal medicine of three years + 2 years for medical oncology) and radiation oncology (four years).

It would be "great" to have knowledge in both but frankly it would be a poor investment of your time. The trend in medicine now is towards hyper-specialization. I would much rather be treated by a pure Rad Onc or Med Onc than a hybrid practioner. Ultimately, you gain experience and wisdom by treating the same types of patients repeatedly.

There are some older Rad Onc docs who transitioned after completing training as a Medical Oncologist. They now focus their clinical efforts on the former.

Interestingly, clinical oncologists in the UK do both chemo and radiation showing that the US systems is not universally accepted.

From what I understand- in the UK, clinical oncologists deliver RT and chemo for RT patients. Medical Oncologists deliver chemo for patients not receiving RT. So, clinical oncologist's scope of practice in the UK does not completely overlap with medical oncologists in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a clinical oncologist in the UK. We do the US equivalent of an intern year, then three years of internal medicine, then five years of oncology, with or without a further 2-3 years of a research degree according to interest (technical RT, lab, running clinicL studies). It depends on the centre, and certainly in London the tendency is for us increasingly to act as rad oncs, but in much of the UK we provide a complete non-surgical service, ie radical RT, palliative RT and all systemic therapies. My belief is that this model works well, especially in diseases like metastatic breast cancer where understanding how to integrate treatments often gives the patient a better experience. I think that understanding the natural history of the disease is more important than focussing on the modality (and let's face it, RT is harder than most chemotherapy). We have medoncs too; they do four years of fellowship after IM and are often more research oriented.

Agree with you.

I am a clinical oncologist in the UK. We do the US equivalent of an intern year, then three years of internal medicine, then five years of oncology, with or without a further 2-3 years of a research degree according to interest (technical RT, lab, running clinicL studies). It depends on the centre, and certainly in London the tendency is for us increasingly to act as rad oncs, but in much of the UK we provide a complete non-surgical service, ie radical RT, palliative RT and all systemic therapies. My belief is that this model works well, especially in diseases like metastatic breast cancer where understanding how to integrate treatments often gives the patient a better experience. I think that understanding the natural history of the disease is more important than focussing on the modality (and let's face it, RT is harder than most chemotherapy). We have medoncs too; they do four years of fellowship after IM and are often more research oriented.