O hey, I am done 4/25/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wall1two

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant thank the boards enough, thank you guys so much. i didn't get sofkn scores but i am pleased overall. My GPA is 3.25 but i have shadowing and volunteer time, basically i knew i had to do as well as possible on this test to even stand a slight shot at acceptance. roughly 20lbs, 2 girlfriends, and what was a best friend later i am done. (this breakdown is going to be long as hell, sorry about that)

PA 23 96.2
QR 21 97.6
RC 20 78.5- funny i dont even remember one of my sections
BS 24 99.6
GC 24 98
OC 24 97.9
TS 24 99.7
AA 23 99.7

First things first, i studied about 4-5 hours a day on and off while breaking up with my girlfriend about 6 months ago. but i didnt really start studying balls to the wall until about 3.5 months ago. i didn't go to a single party, or see a single friend for the past 3 months (i graduated last may) and i studied about 10-11 hours a day with a few 12+ in there. I also quit my personal training job. the first few months i stopped going to the gym and just got really depressed and yeah, really really depressed. i couldn't in-vision even doing well. i also made 3-4 hundred aniki cards, and 2-250 normal flash cards i would do them while i was on the bike at the gym in the morning and during dinner and as i went to bed. I'm just thick headed overall and have a hard time digesting material so i really knew i had to over do it. its all over now **** yes:thumbup:

my top-score results are all erased about 100 times so i dont have real answers for those. may achiever ones ill post soon.

RC
materials - PubMed(10/10), i did all the destroyer tests about 1000 times, all 10 CDR about 10 times, and i would read the paper every other day. and top-score.
first a few things i had questions about that i now know lol, you can highlight during the reading comp, which is clutch so you can highlight the words, read the question and waste no time finding your spot again (but it goes away between questions) i had some signaling one which was brutal, and two non science ones which where SnD all the way. i was feeling really good during the first 2 (the non science) because i make keyword maps before i read the questions and basically all my keywords had questions about them.

QR
math destroyer, gre math books, CDM 25 tests

i was very worried about QR. i am terrible at math and never did well on my practice tests. i did all 25 CDM at least twice and did the math destroyer the whole way through no less than 3-4 times. This section was much easier than the destroyer. the real trick here is to know what questions take you a long time and just immediately skip them. i finished with 10 minutes left though i never finished a prac test with time left before. Do chapters 8-12 in destroyer, i found them to be most relevant. i was shooting for 18+ so im just pumped. lots of word problems, but the difficulty of the word problems was half of that of destroyer.

BIO
tpr hyper-learning(ok, bio is good orgo is pos) cliffs ap(ok) barrons ap(good too, better than cliffs) the internet was the best tool for bio. i would open the dictionary of modern biology published by barrons and just google any word i didnt know. also cliffs 5 ap tests (the book that is just 5 ap tests) was dope. i had 2-3 Q from chapter 19-21 in Campbell's but nothing too crazy, just read the bold word definitions again and again. i did destroyer bio about 2-3 times, basically like the dictionary, just google the answers. and i did all 10 q-vault tests at least twice. i found them to be harder than the real thing and very very representative of score, i averaged about 20-24 on each one.
I am an kinesiology major so my basic bio knowledge is lacking. i took the advice of the old pros like ucladds and dental works and put the most time into genchem and ochem in hopes of twin 30s to bring up what i thought would be a 19ish bio, rc, qr.

Genchem
I by far put the most time into this. i used chads(awesome) Achiever, Topscore, Destroyer, 5 steps to a 5 ap chem, mastering ap chem, ACS gen chem (by far the best, calcs are harder but concepts rocked) and cracking AP chem. i did about 100 EK 1001 chem but for some reason i just stopped. and of course TPR AP chem. i did all the questions and practice exams in each of those books. i thought i would have gotten a 30 but whatever.
The most helpful thing i can give you about genchem is what hurt me. i put 50,60 hours into questions that where just way, way too hard. stop doing achiever gen chem calculation type questions. they made me waste so much time. you don't need to derive the molality given the mole fraction of your grandma's *******.
i did the genchem destroyer about 6-7 times. the calculations are harder but the concepts are dead on. best resource was 5 steps to a 5, little too hard but didn't make me waste my time.

Ochem
McMurry organic chem textbook, destroyer about 3 million times. i did the orgo section twice the day before my test alone. and the best tool is to type in"university of ____ organic chem" into google and take old practice tests. i thought i would have scored higher but i'm still thrilled with my score.
I had about 3-4 lab technique questions, know your basic values. chads + destroyer is enough. actually i think achiever is too hard for this too, detracts time that could have been spent on the basics.

PA
ill be the first to say it, CDP is worthless. not representative of any of the sections except for cube counting. I had about 1 structure for every 2 questions. id say every other had one where you had to really think about side #s for a hidden stack. i was averaging about 24 in cdp. the real downfall with cdp is that for each tfe there is clearly only 1 that makes sense, you never have to really struggle to choose between two. same with keyholes, each one has 1-2 to choose from.
achiever tfe and top-score tfe are more realistic. keyholes from achiever are more difficult but cdp is a joke. i thought i was going to get about 19 when i was done with the section . the hole punching holes are smaller but the folds are amazingly similar to achiever. there was 1-2 pattern type pattering folding like cdp has, achiever is 100x better for this. angles are similar in degrees to cdp but the answer choices eliminated some tough discrimination for you.

i think im gonna relax for a bit, there are cigars that need to be lit with stacks of burning index cards. also i want to thank the cross eyed guy on the achiever loading screen and the dude who says "if you set the right variables the problem (finger maneuver) practically solves itself" with the CDM video explanations. and good looks rick :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:thumbup:
I cant thank the boards enough, thank you guys so much. i didn't get sofkn scores but i am pleased overall. My GPA is 3.25 but i have shadowing and volunteer time, basically i knew i had to do as well as possible on this test to even stand a slight shot at acceptance. roughly 20lbs, 2 girlfriends, and what was a best friend later i am done. (this breakdown is going to be long as hell, sorry about that)

PA 23 96.2
QR 21 97.6
BS 24 99.6
GC 24 98
OC 24 97.9
TS 24 99.7
AA 23 99.7

First things first, i studied about 4-5 hours a day on and off while breaking up with my girlfriend about 6 months ago. but i didnt really start studying balls to the wall until about 3.5 months ago. i didn't go to a single party, or see a single friend for the past 3 months (i graduated last may) and i studied about 10-11 hours a day with a few 12+ in there. I also quit my personal training job. the first few months i stopped going to the gym and just got really depressed and yeah, really really depressed. i couldn't in-vision even doing well. i also made 3-4 hundred aniki cards, and 2-250 normal flash cards i would do them while i was on the bike at the gym in the morning and during dinner and as i went to bed. I'm just thick headed overall and have a hard time digesting material so i really knew i had to over do it. its all over now **** yes:thumbup:

my top-score results are all erased about 100 times so i dont have real answers for those. may achiever ones ill post soon.

RC
materials - PubMed(10/10), i did all the destroyer tests about 1000 times, all 10 CDR about 10 times, and i would read the paper every other day. and top-score.
first a few things i had questions about that i now know lol, you can highlight during the reading comp, which is clutch so you can highlight the words, read the question and waste no time finding your spot again (but it goes away between questions) i had some signaling one which was brutal, and two non science ones which where SnD all the way. i was feeling really good during the first 2 (the non science) because i make keyword maps before i read the questions and basically all my keywords had questions about them.

QR

i was very worried about QR. i am terrible at math and never did well on my practice tests. i did all 25 CDM at least twice and did the math destroyer the whole way through no less than 3-4 times. This section was much easier than the destroyer. the real trick here is to know what questions take you a long time and just immediately skip them. i finished with 10 minutes left though i never finished a prac test with time left before. Do chapters 8-12 in destroyer, i found them to be most relevant. i was shooting for 18+ so im just pumped. lots of word problems, but the difficulty of the word problems was half of that of destroyer.

BIO
tpr hyper-learning(ok, bio is good orgo is pos) cliffs ap(ok) barrons ap(good too, better than cliffs) the internet was the best tool for bio. i would open the dictionary of modern biology published by barrons and just google any word i didnt know. also cliffs 5 ap tests (the book that is just 5 ap tests) was dope. i had 2-3 Q from chapter 19-21 in Campbell's but nothing too crazy, just read the bold word definitions again and again. i did destroyer bio about 2-3 times, basically like the dictionary, just google the answers. and i did all 10 q-vault tests at least twice. i found them to be harder than the real thing and very very representative of score, i averaged about 20-24 on each one.
I am an kinesiology major so my basic bio knowledge is lacking. i took the advice of the old pros like ucladds and dental works and put the most time into genchem and ochem in hopes of twin 30s to bring up what i thought would be a 19ish bio, rc, qr.

Genchem
I by far put the most time into this. i used chads(awesome) Achiever, Topscore, Destroyer, 5 steps to a 5 ap chem, mastering ap chem, ACS gen chem (by far the best, calcs are harder but concepts rocked) and cracking AP chem. i did about 100 EK 1001 chem but for some reason i just stopped. and of course TPR AP chem. i did all the questions and practice exams in each of those books. i thought i would have gotten a 30 but whatever.
The most helpful thing i can give you about genchem is what hurt me. i put 50,60 hours into questions that where just way, way too hard. stop doing achiever gen chem calculation type questions. they made me waste so much time. you don't need to derive the molality given the mole fraction of your grandma's *******.
i did the genchem destroyer about 6-7 times. the calculations are harder but the concepts are dead on. best resource was 5 steps to a 5, little too hard but didn't make me waste my time.

Ochem
McMurry organic chem textbook, destroyer about 3 million times. i did the orgo section twice the day before my test alone. and the best tool is to type in"university of ____ organic chem" into google and take old practice tests. i thought i would have scored higher but i'm still thrilled with my score.
I had about 3-4 lab technique questions, know your basic values. chads + destroyer is enough. actually i think achiever is too hard for this too, detracts time that could have been spent on the basics.

PA
ill be the first to say it, CDP is worthless. not representative of any of the sections except for cube counting. I had about 1 structure for every 2 questions. id say every other had one where you had to really think about side #s for a hidden stack. i was averaging about 24 in cdp. the real downfall with cdp is that for each tfe there is clearly only 1 that makes sense, you never have to really struggle to choose between two. same with keyholes, each one has 1-2 to choose from.
achiever tfe and top-score tfe are more realistic. keyholes from achiever are more difficult but cdp is a joke. i thought i was going to get about 19 when i was done with the section . the hole punching holes are smaller but the folds are amazingly similar to achiever. there was 1-2 pattern type pattering folding like cdp has, achiever is 100x better for this. angles are similar in degrees to cdp but the answer choices eliminated some tough discrimination for you.

i think im gonna relax for a bit, there are cigars that need to be lit with stacks of burning index cards. also i want to thank the cross eyed guy on the achiever loading screen and the dude who says "if you set the right variables the problem (finger maneuver) practically solves itself" with the CDM video explanations. and good looks rick :thumbup:

:thumbup: hey ship me those note cards and Ill ship you a zippo kid lol

great work mayne

way to go wall. now you will be on the wall of 21+AA

what all schools are you going to apply to?

i think you made it my friend...

I remember you posted a thread 19 days ago about today's date lolz

congrats :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
yayy!! those are simply amazing scores! I've been seeing you on this forum a lot and you always answer everyone's questions so I'm really glad you did well.

Also excited to hear that datQvault is good. I was debating whether I should spend more time with Destroyer bio or datQvault but I think I'm just going to do the vault tests.
About CDP, I was worried about the keyhole and TFE too because the sample 2009 ada test and TS have way harder keyholes. IMO, I think the reason why CDP's keyholes are easier is bc everything is so clean-cut and clear. On Topscore, some of the lines seem bent to me...

Anyway, breathe in, breathe out!!! Congrats dude :thumbup:

Congrats... You killed it.... I've been waiting to see your scores.. Congrats once again my friend... WAY TO GO!!

good job wall! so wait you did 11 to 12 hours each day for 3.5 months? thats so intense! but worth it, ive been doing nearly that much (but probably closer to 6 to 8 per day) but i have to step it up more.

Congrats man, way to go! Looks like all the studying payed off. Anything worth having is worth working for right? Lol but the real question I feel should be asked in regard to things like this is, is it worth your sanity? Enjoy the well deserved cigar and maybe knock back a cold one or two.

Wall congrats buddy, I've seen many of your posts and comments I’m proud to see everything paid off. I hope to be in your shoes soon my friend. But hey quick question, I am just about done reviewing Org (my last section to go over) and I have a little over a month before my test date. Am I screwed since I haven’t done any real practice tests yet besides destroyer or can I do topscore and achiever in about a week and still be able to make use of it? Also im debating to do another review of everything or start on practice tests now and review after? I have topscore, acheiver, and the 2009 ADA test when do you think i should utilize those resources or am I already behind?

Awesome job bro! Sorry to hear that you lost your "best" friend in the process and your girlfriend. Maybe it was meant to be. Anyways, good job again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great Job Wall. Quick question How good will destroyer matchup if it is my bread and butter study source for gen chem and orgo?

Wall congrats buddy, I've seen many of your posts and comments I’m proud to see everything paid off. I hope to be in your shoes soon my friend. But hey quick question, I am just about done reviewing Org (my last section to go over) and I have a little over a month before my test date. Am I screwed since I haven’t done any real practice tests yet besides destroyer or can I do topscore and achiever in about a week and still be able to make use of it? Also im debating to do another review of everything or start on practice tests now and review after? I have topscore, acheiver, and the 2009 ADA test when do you think i should utilize those resources or am I already behind?

id do top score but i personaly wouldn't take achiever as a practice test, maybe just use it in a destroyer type way, last thing you want is to go in there nervous. and get to taking those tests asap, the difficulty on the sciences with the ada was great

congrats man.. i knew you would do good, you put in a lot of hard work. :thumbup:.. i cant wait to get this monkey off my back as well. :xf:

We were studying at the same time and I knew you were going to do well because you seemed to be studying a lot based on your posts. I agree with all the things you said. CDP is overrated and Achiever is much more representative. Good job and you should be able to get in anywhere with those scores.

PA 23 96.2
QR 21 97.6
BS 24 99.6
GC 24 98
OC 24 97.9
TS 24 99.7
AA 23 99.7

RC

QR

BIO

Genchem

Ochem

PA

Congrats on ur awesome scores!! I would have to say I definitely know about ur setbacks. I took off this semester of school to study for the dat and it has not gone good at all. I recently lost my grandfather in Feb. at the age of 102 who raised me all of my life. He was the only male role model in my life. My grandparents r my inspiration to dentistry. All my life I saw my grandparents struggle eating due to no teeth. They were very poor but so rich at heart with love. My biological father left me when I was a toddler and Im now in my 30's. I recently got a phone call from my biological father asking me if I could help him because he is very sick. I drove all the way to Chicago from Texas and brought him back to my home. Basically he was homeless living in abandoned home. He is a stranger to me but god must have a different plan for me. I have a husband, kids and now my biological father who was never been their for me my whole life to take care of. I know u always have to forgive those that have hurt u. So my studying has not been there at all. Im doing chad's gc and am only on ch.4 and I have less than 2 months plus in June start summer school also. I am having a hard time with math destroyer don't know anything in it but somehow I will figure it out. I never got to get into dental school to make my grandfather dentures but maybe I can for my father now. My father also doesn't have any teeth so I find myself at the dinner table again watching my father struggle to eat. I am a registered dental hygienist and quit my job probably almost 2 yrs ago to fulfill my dream. I know I have alot of obstacles to over come but with the grace of god I will do it. May god continue to bless you and the rest of SDN!!!:)

I have one thing to say to you "WHEN THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY"

Congrats on ur awesome scores!! I would have to say I definitely know about ur setbacks. I took off this semester of school to study for the dat and it has not gone good at all. I recently lost my grandfather in Feb. at the age of 102 who raised me all of my life. He was the only male role model in my life. My grandparents r my inspiration to dentistry. All my life I saw my grandparents struggle eating due to no teeth. They were very poor but so rich at heart with love. My biological father left me when I was a toddler and Im now in my 30's. I recently got a phone call from my biological father asking me if I could help him because he is very sick. I drove all the way to Chicago from Texas and brought him back to my home. Basically he was homeless living in abandoned home. He is a stranger to me but god must have a different plan for me. I have a husband, kids and now my biological father who was never been their for me my whole life to take care of. I know u always have to forgive those that have hurt u. So my studying has not been there at all. Im doing chad's gc and am only on ch.4 and I have less than 2 months plus in June start summer school also. I am having a hard time with math destroyer don't know anything in it but somehow I will figure it out. I never got to get into dental school to make my grandfather dentures but maybe I can for my father now. My father also doesn't have any teeth so I find myself at the dinner table again watching my father struggle to eat. I am a registered dental hygienist and quit my job probably almost 2 yrs ago to fulfill my dream. I know I have alot of obstacles to over come but with the grace of god I will do it. May god continue to bless you and the rest of SDN!!!:)

You are a beautiful person and I wish you the best :)

Last 3 months I did one day gen chem orgo 4 hours each then bio for 2-3 hard and light bio till bed. Usually with wine or beer to unwind. Next day was reading,math pat then light destroyer science at night

Last edited:
Great scores!!!!! But this scares me for when I have to start studying...I will probably turn into a hermit too, just hope my boyfriend/friends don't give up on me :scared:

But YAY!!! I bet it feels great knowing that all your hard work paid off!!!! :)

thanks for the support, one day this test will be behind you. and studying the way i did was a waste of time. knowing what i known now i spent almost half of my time studying things that where just way too hard for this test. i knew every Inter Lukens and it's function--nothing even close to that on the test. Felt good shaving a 6 month beard and having a conversation with an actual person again.

thanks for the support, one day this test will be behind you. and studying the way i did was a waste of time. knowing what i known now i spent almost half of my time studying things that where just way too hard for this test. i knew every Inter Lukens and it's function--nothing even close to that on the test. Felt good shaving a 6 month beard and having a conversation with an actual person again.

hasn't it been like a month since you took this test!!
what an *** ----TS-FAIL!

Wow. I am shocked! Good job.

I am really surprised at the amt of time u put into studying.

90days x 10 = 900 hrs by itself.

Assuming u put in atleast another 100 hrs (6 months ago)...that brings ur total to 1000 hours!

WOW!!

What is your GPA like? cum and sci? I wanted to spend something like 500 hrs studying, but it seems like i need to aim for what u were going for.

And I want to really excel in the bio section. I am starting to study every single detail of all the material, and making flashcards out of it. It looks Like im going to end up with ~1000 flashcards just for bio :O

I was thinking about just studying my entire bio book top to bottom. Bcuz i really jsut want to own the bio section.

Its good to know there are people like you out there. You are truly an inspiration. You will get in!

Very touching story. I wish you the best of luck. Don't let anything stand in your way from your dreams. I am sure you will be just fine.

I have one thing to say to you "WHEN THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY"

Very touching story. I wish you the best of luck. Don't let anything stand in your way from your dreams. I am sure you will be just fine.

I would really like to thank MyPeanut, Teeth12345, dentalpath, Floss ur Teeth, Dentalworks for yall's kind words. It is because of people like u that keep all of us going!!! I hope and pray that all of u receive the dat scores and schools (if have not already) that yall want because all of you certainly deserve it!:thumbup: It makes my day seeing all of yall's positive and encouragment words. The minute that I slow down their is always one of u that lifts me up and I truly thank yall from the bottom of my heart! God bless all of you!!:)

OMG congrats!!!!! you just lifted my spirits :) I've been studying for this exam for the past may but I'm also going to school and taking classes. so it takes time out of my studying... i'm only able to study hard core now but i feel so nervous because I'm taking the exam June 25th o_O

You'll defo get in somewhere with these results! Thanks for posting your study materials and the breakdown. I feel like genchem is a real challenge for me. so I'm going to use the materials you suggested.

I have topscore but I'm not sure if Achiever is worth it :/ but hey if it will get the job done i'm all for it :D

once again congrats and now that your free i guess you can chillll... Awesome!!!!!

WOW! Great scores. Even better determination! your a great motivation as i embark on this REALLY daunting process of DAT studying:mad:

attending Columbia this fall. If you don't think you can do it, you are wrong. nose to the grind stone.

Congratulations. Take this dedication all the way. You learned a lot about yourself throughout this process, dont let it go in Dental School.

Congratulations dude. Gold job. You should be accepted just for all the suffering that you have gone through. You showed dedication.

Did you get any acceptance letters? How did you prepare for the interview?