Need input: New school w/ scholarship vs. Established school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mishaS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really, really, really, don't feel comfortable posting this sort of thing on here, however given how close it is to decision day, I could use as much input as possible on this. After getting accepted to Wayne in December, I pretty much was set on it, but still had an interview at the new Oakland University William Beaumont school of medicine because it was so close, not honestly expecting too much. The school did really impress me but, being more expensive than Wayne State, and being having a new program, I decided on Wayne even before finding out I was wait listed.

So comes today, I get home from lab, my message machine had a message from Oakland asking me to call them. Sure enough I got an invite, and a scholarship to boot. I've been racking my brain over this, and would like some outside opinions.

So as far as major Pro's of Wayne over Oakland: Well established program which matches well, the DMC, Henry Ford, and the many other affiliate hospitals, location - I've volunteered in Trauma one in Detroit and you see things you probably wouldn't see elsewhere, many great volunteer opportunities, a political advocacy program

Major Pro's of Oakland over Wayne: The half scholarship ($21K) would make Oakland $10K cheaper per year than Wayne, I live 4 miles away and could probably bike to class (compared to a 35-70 minute drive to Detroit), the curriculum seems very innovative, the facilities are obviously brand new, the class size is very small, being the first class I'm sure we'll have great faculty support

The huge issue with Oakland is, obviously, that the program is brand new. This has advantages since they can take the best of other programs, but there is rightly still reason to worry the unknown, and it would be wishful thinking to believe that there won't be some kinks to be ironed out. It also really sucks not knowing how the quality of clinical years would compare. Another important thing here is residency opportunity. While Beaumont is an amazing hospital, I'm wondering if Wayne would give me more residency opportunities.

I don't think I'll lose here, either way, but any opinions would still be very much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...yeah I can see how this could definitely be a tough decision. On one hand, being apart of OUWB could be exciting as it is a new program with a lot of potential. But on the flip side Wayne is an established institution with an awesome match list.

If it were me personally, I'd go with Wayne. I had to make a similar decision this year: an established med school or a school with the first class only being second years. I do remember talking with a couple of the second years from the new school and they seemed to like it there, but at the end of the day, I picked the school that has a predictable curriculum and a good match list.

I'm the type that likes to play it safe with these type of decisons though. But I mean with Beaumont Hospitals you can never go wrong.

Keep pondering it you still have some time! Good luck and I'm sure both schools are great picks. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I really, really, really, don't feel comfortable posting this sort of thing on here, however given how close it is to decision day, I could use as much input as possible on this. After getting accepted to Wayne in December, I pretty much was set on it, but still had an interview at the new Oakland University William Beaumont school of medicine because it was so close, not honestly expecting too much. The school did really impress me but, being more expensive than Wayne State, and being having a new program, I decided on Wayne even before finding out I was wait listed.

So comes today, I get home from lab, my message machine had a message from Oakland asking me to call them. Sure enough I got an invite, and a scholarship to boot. I've been racking my brain over this, and would like some outside opinions.

So as far as major Pro's of Wayne over Oakland: Well established program which matches well, the DMC, Henry Ford, and the many other affiliate hospitals, location - I've volunteered in Trauma one in Detroit and you see things you probably wouldn't see elsewhere, many great volunteer opportunities, a political advocacy program

Major Pro's of Oakland over Wayne: The half scholarship ($21K) would make Oakland $10K cheaper per year than Wayne, I live 4 miles away and could probably bike to class (compared to a 35-70 minute drive to Detroit), the curriculum seems very innovative, the facilities are obviously brand new, the class size is very small, being the first class I'm sure we'll have great faculty support

The huge issue with Oakland is, obviously, that the program is brand new. This has advantages since they can take the best of other programs, but there is rightly still reason to worry the unknown, and it would be wishful thinking to believe that there won't be some kinks to be ironed out. It also really sucks not knowing how the quality of clinical years would compare. Another important thing here is residency opportunity. While Beaumont is an amazing hospital, I'm wondering if Wayne would give me more residency opportunities.

I don't think I'll lose here, either way, but any opinions would still be very much appreciated. Thanks for any help.

I would put more consideration into being close to family for emotional and tangible support, which I've heard comes in handy when being put through the ringer of med school. The small class size would also provide a lot more individualized attention and support from the faculty.

On the other hand, the unknown is unknown:confused::confused: and that always involves some risk

Members don't see this ad :)
10k a year difference comes out to 40k total - i would not take the risk for that

i'm going through the same thing! except the established school is very close to my family, while the new one is giving me 40k/yr. (i've got a post in SSD if you're curious)

PM me. I had almost the exact same decision to make last May. I can give you some advice about that :)

I would put more consideration into being close to family for emotional and tangible support, which I've heard comes in handy when being put through the ringer of med school. The small class size would also provide a lot more individualized attention and support from the faculty.

On the other hand, the unknown is unknown:confused::confused: and that always involves some risk

I don't plan on moving out either way. Going to Oakland would save me probably an hour and a half of driving every day at least though. I will probably be studying in the car, or maybe using the drive to relax a bit, so this isn't the end of the world. Still though, an extra 10 hours a week of flexible time would be great.

10k a year difference comes out to 40k total - i would not take the risk for that

It is still enough of a difference, especially considering I'm leaning towards pediatrics, which is not a highly paid field.

i'm going through the same thing! except the established school is very close to my family, while the new one is giving me 40k/yr. (i've got a post in SSD if you're curious)

Thanks, I read through that thread. At least I know I'm not the only one, though I probably would do it for a full ride personally.

PM me. I had almost the exact same decision to make last May. I can give you some advice about that :)

PM'd and thanks for the awesome reply!

Another thought I was having, that I didn't want to post, was my fellow classmates. Looking at the stats of the inaugural years at other schools, they are relatively low. Regardless of how promising a program looks, competitive students, who get in elsewhere, as demonstrated by some of the people who've posted here, probably wouldn't want to the risk. Looking at several schools something like a 3.5gpa and 27-28 MCAT average are the norm. Obviously numbers aren't everything, but I'm wondering what kind of impact the class itself would have on the education.

At Wayne, assuming stats are wholly indicative, I'd be slightly above average, while I imagine at Oakland, if the trend holds, that I would be well above it. Because both schools are fail/pass/honors based on rank, I imagine that honors it is reasonable to believe that it would be easier to obtain at Oakland with less effort than at Wayne. If this was true, would I potentially get a worse education, because I wouldn't be forced to try as hard?

I hope that doesn't sound arrogant, but frankly I think this could be a real issue, and I've always been more pragmatic than politically correct. I've benefited many times from curves, however while I always felt like they cheapened the system, I didn't care too much since my grades were a means to an end: getting into medical school. I have no desire to have a repeat of this in Medical School, where my education quality will have real world effects on patient outcomes.

Thoughts?

I hope that doesn't sound arrogant, but frankly I think this could be a real issue, and I've always been more pragmatic than politically correct. I've benefited many times from curves, however while I always felt like they cheapened the system, I didn't care too much since my grades were a means to an end: getting into medical school. I have no desire to have a repeat of this in Medical School, where my education quality will have real world effects on patient outcomes.

Thoughts?

No I don't think it sounds arrogant at all. I mean are your chances of getting Honors more likely at OUWB? Probably. There is no guarantee however at either school. I know people who did poorly in undergrad, then kicked it up in med school and ended up being in the top 10-15% in their class.

But like I said, at the end of the day I'd care more about how well the students score on USMLE and the types of residencies they get into. These are things OUWB hasn't established yet. I realize that the cheaper tuition and shorter commute distance is very appealing but it should come down to which one will benefit you in the long run (which maybe in your case does come down to tuition and location).

Edit: Also I just read an article where Wayne ranked #22 out of the 125 schools according to the National Science Foundation. Not that it necessarily means anything, but coming from a school with a good reputation can sometimes influence interviewers' decisions on applicants (for residency spots). Just a thought.

Last edited:
I interviewed at OAKLAND and absolutely loved the school! I remember thinking that if they offered me a 1/2 to full scholarship, there was a high chance I would attend. Unfortunately, I felt pretty sick that day so I don't think I presented myself that well, so I got rejected :/

If it is cheaper and closer to home, I would definitely consider it. Their program sounds amazing, it will be a small class, and you will most likely end up OK. Also, where you will be doing clinical rotations looks amazing!

good luck with your decision!

edit: Also verify that the scholarship is for every year.