Low GPA, mediocre MCAT... great EC's and story... chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tpsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a long time browser but a first time poster. I found these forums hugely informative and can't thank everybody enough for all the wisdom and guidance that has been shared.

Here's my story and stats:
sGPA cGPA
freshman 2.53 1.64
sophomore 3.00 2.88
junior 3.17
senior 2.00 3.41
post-bacc. 3.99 3.99
totals 3.62 3.07

MCAT: 29Q 8V11P10B

Graduated college in 2003 with double major in English/Psychology. Worked in the golf industry and played 3 years of professional golf. After that spent 1 year in sales before deciding to pursue medicine. 2 years do it yourself Post-bacc. at a state university.

EC's
3 good research projects
1.5 years as a scribe in level 1 trauma facility working with MD and DO. (over 1500 total hours)
direct pt interaction doing patient satisfaction surveys in ED
15 years raising guide dogs for Guiding Eyes for the Blind.
Certified as EMT
Amazing LOR from 2 doctors i have worked with over 200 hours each. + great letter from professors and mentors.
+++ many others+++
life experience and maturity are hard to quantify but I have done a good job in my application demonstrating them.

Already submitted application:
Tufts, Dartmouth, Drexel, Commonwealth, Oakland Beaumont, UVM, U of A Tucson and Phoenix, GW, Georgetown and Albert Einstein. Also, 17 Do schools.

*** I know my stats are low for MD but i have good connections at some of these schools and am very confident that if I can get an interview i will have an excellent shot at getting in.

So, I was really just hoping to get some opinions on where I stand and what you think my chances are. I would also appreciate any other suggestions on additional MD schools you think I should consider applying to.

*** please don't suggest Caribbean. This is an option I am fully aware of, but will not be pursuing it this cycle.

Thank you so much for you comments.

Members don't see this ad.

You may get screened out for some of the those MD, You have a solid chance DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to say it, but with a 3.07 GPA and a 29 MCAT, MD schools are very,very reach for you. Even though your ECs and LOR might be great, the screening process is what will kill you.

How many credits of postbacc work did you do? Did you retake the classes you did poorly in first time around? Since some DO schools do grade replacement, that might increase your chances...

With a 3.6 sGPA and an excellent turn around from the past, I think you have a shot at MD schools. Remember that the grid shows that people from all ranges of GPA are accepted.

Hi,

I think your chances are low at MD. Your sci GPA is nice, but it is really doesn't balance the cum GPA, and the MCAT doesn't help since its a bit below average. You may need to work on your stats a bit if you don't get accepted this year.

Thanks for the input!

My biggest hurdle will be getting screened before they look closely at my application. If they look past the simple numbers they will see two years worth of sciences (2009-2011) at a 3.98. All grades that hurt my GPA are from 8 or more years ago. Fingers crossed.

Just a quick update here,

Accepted at Midwestern!
Interviews offered from:
Tufts - deferred decision
Drexel - still waiting to hear a decision
University of Vermont - interview scheduled
U of A - Tucson - interview scheduled
U o A Phoenix - interview scheduled

Very happy with the way the season has gone thus far! I hope others who were concerned about their chances are having the same success I am.

Accepted at Midwestern!
Interviews offered from:

Very happy with the way the season has gone thus far! I hope others who were concerned about their chances are having the same success I am.

Congrats!!

Accepted at Midwestern!
Interviews offered from:

Congrats!

Accepted at Midwestern!
Interviews offered from:

Awesome! :D

Proof in the pudding, just because you're not an SDN cookie-cutter accepted MD applicant doesn't mean you wont get in....great success story, congrats

Thanks for the support!

Also accepted to Western U and ATSU!!

Thanks for the support!

Also accepted to Western U and ATSU!!

Congrats! How did you like Western? I just got an II there today, haven't scheduled it yet though because I was busy when they called.

Congrats! Even though I do not know you personally, you are a very inspirational person!
You are going to be a doctor!