Hey EM/IM People

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odoreater

Cybernetic Ghost
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you get jobs in hospitals that allow you to be a medicine floor attending for certain months of the year. For example work 10 months in the ER and spend 2 months rounding with a medicine team as an attending/teaching medical students/residents and following up on patients? Just curious b/c though I love the ER I also would like to spend time on the floors of a hospital either in a teaching capacity or otherwise. Do any of you combine your IM with your EM without going on to ccm?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your question doesn't make much sense. When you are a im attending at a hospital, you round on patients who are admitted to your service from your clinic, or those of your partners. If the the hospital has im housestaff then you allow them to cover your patients, and in theory teach them management. If you are an er doc where are you going to get patients to admit? You can't run a clinic for just 2 months during the year.

Some hospitals have hospitalists, who admit patients for community im docs who don't want to come to the hospital to round on patients, or admit patients who have no primary docs. But these are docs who have done im residenies, why would the hire an EM doc who have little training in chronic management to be a hospitalist, and one who is only available for 2 months of the year. If it is teaching that you are interested in, then most im residencies will send their residents to the er for a month or so, so get a flavor of er work. But in truth ER medicine is different from em, you wouldn't be able to teach them much about their future field.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK you clearly did not read the above post which is asking about individuals who are dually certified in both IM and EM and have completed a 5yr residency. Further, the hospital setting you are referring to occurs in community hospitals and private settings. I take it you have never worked in a county hospital or a large academic center where patient's are admitted without private medical doctors (these are known as service patients) and are taken care of strictly by attendings. Further, large academic hospitals often have teaching attendings who do not make decisions about patient management, they are there to teach and to suggest a course of managment to the team. orders are typically written by a chief resident or pre-attending who assumes clinical control of the team.

Any IM/EM people answer?

:rolleyes:

At Hurley Medical Center in Flint, Michigan there are two EM/IM attendings that work in the ED as well as on the floors. How many months they do this a year I can not tell you.

There are some others at other places, too - there's a guy at Columbia quad-boarded (IM, EM, CC, and Pulmonary), and he works between the ED and the Unit, so, if he admits a patient last day of the month, he might be the attending the next day in the unit - the ultimate in continuity.

These folks are not common, though.

I'm EM/IM.
I do 2-3 days/wk in the ED, 2days/wk Administrative, several days of ward medicine/ month. I do research as well. I really enjoy the variety... would get bored otherwise.
I was just talking to an EM/IM colleague in Michigan who saw a patient in the ED with altered mental status and then picked the patient up as a hospitalist the next week... endd up diagnosing Jakob-Creutzfeld Disease (?spelling)- pretty neat! He loves his job. Some colleagues have gone on to do fellowship (ie. ICU).
EM/IMs are an eclectic/ fun group that really know how to roll with the punches as we seamlessly traverse different worlds/ rolls. I encourage anyone with an interest in academics who like EM and IM to apply... the world is your oyster!

SH

I agree. I know the guys at Flint, GREAT group! Many Henry Ford grads (where I did my EM/IM). I currently work about 5 shifts/mo in the ED at a major level 1 trauma center (90,000 visits/yr). I am also an attending in the cardiac surgery ICU for 7 days/month (I did my critical care at the University of Pittsburgh) and the other 10 days I'm doing shock research between the ICU and ED.

Since I'm boarded in all three, I really can pick and choose what I want to do. It took a little longer, but the variety and the extra knowledge is well worth it to me.

Kyle