Hey coders.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I wanna write my wife a cute note. She's taking some advanced programming courses and I want to write a note that seems like I tried clumsily to incorporate some programming shorthand/code in an attempt at imitation being flattery.

If anyone wants to help, either reply on here with generalized guidance, or send a PM.

If you want to make fun of me, this effort, or the fact that I know nothing about coding, then follow these guidelines:

1. Make it good.
2. Keep it here for all to enjoy.

I'm good at laughing at myself, so have at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You want something that resembles code but don't necessarily care if it works at all? This seems like the perfect type of thing for chatGPT.

Reactions: 1 user
// println("I love you")
// No idea why that doesn't work.

// println(i love you);
// gives me a damn error about undefined variables

// String i love you = i love you
//so many errors

// String x = i love you;
// println(x);
// still not working

String str = "I love you";

for (int i = 0; i<10; i++) {
System.out.println(charAt(str));
}

//easy

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
// println("I love you")

// println(i love you);

//so many errors

// println(x);
// still not working

}

//easy

Okay, now briefly explain why my wife will find this funny (so I can be clued in on the joke).

Easy

Attachments

• F5843F2E-C1CF-444B-8D37-69A06823C077.png
    F5843F2E-C1CF-444B-8D37-69A06823C077.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 56
Okay, now briefly explain why my wife will find this funny (so I can be clued in on the joke).
Everything with // in front of it is a comment. Meaning, you look at the code and read it. The computer doesn't try to do anything with it. The entire thing up top is in comments basically as a "list of things I tried and didn't work, and then a little thing you said below it"

// println("I love you")
--> This doesn't work because I forgot a semicolon at the end.

// println(i love you);
--> This doesn't work because I didn't put i love you in quotes.

//so many errors
--> This doesn't work because I love you after the = isn't in quotes... and no semicolon.

// println(x);
// still not working
--> again, no quotes.

}

//easy

The last part is an overly complicated solution. I defined str as the phrase "I love you." I could now simply use println(str); like I tried above, but instead of doing the easy thing now that I figured out how to define a variable correctly... I had the computer look at the phrase "I love you" and run a loop where each loop it prints out one letter from that phrase.

e.g. first it looks up position 0 and prints I. Then position 1 prints a space, then position 2 prints l, 3 prints o... etc etc.

TL;DR: Beginner level code trying to print out "I love you" with lots of simple mistakes. End of it is a pointlessly elaborate way of printing it out which you clearly wouldn't know how to do if you were making the rookie mistakes above.

ChatGPT Prompt:
You are a professional coder, and a comedian. my friend asked me the following request: "Hey, I wanna write my wife a cute note. She's taking some advanced programming courses and I want to write a note that seems like I tried clumsily to incorporate some programming shorthand/code in an attempt at imitation being flattery. If you want to make fun of me, this effort, or the fact that I know nothing about coding, then follow these guidelines: 1. Make it good. 2. Keep it here for all to enjoy. I'm good at laughing at myself, so have at it." Please write a funny love note to his wife incorporating coding. Please also give him an explanation after the note so he understands why it is funny.

Response:
Dear [Wife's Name],

Roses are #FF0000,
Violets are #0000FF,
Let's laugh together,
And make our love true.

You're my forever loop,
With no terminating condition,
You've crashed my heart,
And caused a stack overflow collision.

Your smile is my favorite exception,
In the error-filled realm of life,
You debug my sorrows,
With a simple "Hello, World!".

I'd write you a function,
To calculate our compatibility,
But with you, my love,
There's no need for code verbosity.

You're the boolean to my if statement,
Making my heart skip a beat,
I can't deny the fact,
That you're my favorite "variable" treat.

So let's create a binary bond,
Where our love will always compile,
With you by my side,
I'm never afraid of a segmentation fault style.

Love,

[Your Friend's Name]

Explanation:

1. "#FF0000" and "#0000FF" are color codes for red and blue respectively. The reference to roses and violets in the poem is a play on the traditional "roses are red, violets are blue" phrase, but using color codes instead.

2. "Forever loop" refers to an infinite loop in programming that never ends unless interrupted externally. It humorously implies that the person's love is everlasting and infinite.

3. "Terminating condition" is a concept in programming where a loop stops executing when a specific condition is met. Here, it suggests that their love has no end condition.

4. "Stack overflow collision" refers to a situation in programming where the call stack, which keeps track of function calls, exceeds its allocated size. It's a playful way of expressing that the person's love has overwhelmed the speaker's heart.

5. "Hello, World!" is a common phrase used in programming to test and demonstrate a simple program. Here, it represents how the wife's smile brings joy and positivity to the speaker's life.

6. The mention of "compatibility" suggests using code to calculate their compatibility as if they were computer programs. But the humor lies in the fact that true compatibility cannot be measured by code alone.

7. "Boolean" refers to a data type in programming that represents true or false. The analogy implies that the wife completes the speaker's if statement, making their life and decisions more meaningful.

8. "Variable treat" is a wordplay on a "sweet treat" and the programming concept of a variable that holds a value. It suggests that the wife brings joy and happiness to the speaker's life.

9. "Segmentation fault" is an error in programming that occurs when a program tries to access a memory location it is not allowed to. Here, it implies that the speaker feels safe and secure with the wife's presence, never experiencing any faults.

Overall, the note cleverly incorporates programming concepts and terminology to express love and humorously highlights the speaker's lack of coding knowledge while celebrating their relationship.

Reactions: 2 users
Everything with // in front of it is a comment. Meaning, you look at the code and read it. The computer doesn't try to do anything with it. The entire thing up top is in comments basically as a "list of things I tried and didn't work, and then a little thing you said below it"

// println("I love you")
--> This doesn't work because I forgot a semicolon at the end.

// println(i love you);
--> This doesn't work because I didn't put i love you in quotes.

//so many errors
--> This doesn't work because I love you after the = isn't in quotes... and no semicolon.

// println(x);
// still not working
--> again, no quotes.

}

//easy

The last part is an overly complicated solution. I defined str as the phrase "I love you." I could now simply use println(str); like I tried above, but instead of doing the easy thing now that I figured out how to define a variable correctly... I had the computer look at the phrase "I love you" and run a loop where each loop it prints out one letter from that phrase.

e.g. first it looks up position 0 and prints I. Then position 1 prints a space, then position 2 prints l, 3 prints o... etc etc.

TL;DR: Beginner level code trying to print out "I love you" with lots of simple mistakes. End of it is a pointlessly elaborate way of printing it out which you clearly wouldn't know how to do if you were making the rookie mistakes above.
You also forgot to uncomment most of your code!

You also forgot to uncomment most of your code!
Didn't forget. My post, as written, would compile. If his wife looked at the code itself, she'd be able to see the "code history" so to speak. Was intentional, but I can see how that may have been a bit too into the role to have been clear.

All of this is way too complicated. I would just do something like

Honey, my first line of code:
System.out.println("Hello <Wife's Name>!");

That's all you need. Put it in a card. Simple.
The very first line of code that people learn when learning a new language like Java, Javacript, C++, C#, etc. is how to print "Hello World!" to the monitor. This is a friendly play on that.

Very simple.

I got chatGPT to write my wife a love letter not long ago. She could tell I didn‘t write it because it sounded “too sappy”.

Reactions: 1 users