Tips for School-Specific Questions on Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sexycani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on what to write about when a school asks why we've chosen to apply to them? these essays are really brief, so i wonder what we should cover?

i've tried to contextualize some of my experiences/talents with the programs/curriculum/opportunities these schools offer....does this sound right? or is it better to pick one thing from our App and show how that fits best with the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
real helpful, bud

Talk about any ties you have with the school/area.

Talk about the school's commitment to medical research/helping the underserved/international medicine/etc.

Talk about the school's amazing resources and inspiring faculty.

Basically this is your chance to kiss the school's butt...pucker up baby.

If I don't have an immediate answer (like, a particular program, or a tie to the school) then I search through the school website, look at the mission statement, then say how I will fit into their philosophy.

What did you want? Someone to tell you exactly what to write? Are we in Elementary school now or are we trying to be doctors?

+1

OP you are ridiculous, if you don't know why you applied to a school that's on you...stop being lazy and do a little research or withdraw your application and save yourself some money

i'm with everyone else. it wasn't rocket science; as long as you aren't throwing money around and shotgunning a ton of apps you should have a good reason to be applying to the school that you are. and generally, many of your schools will be similar to each other, so you can just reuse with the minor details changed.

Anyone have any tips on what to write about when a school asks why we've chosen to apply to them? these essays are really brief, so i wonder what we should cover?

i've tried to contextualize some of my experiences/talents with the programs/curriculum/opportunities these schools offer....does this sound right? or is it better to pick one thing from our App and show how that fits best with the school?

this is what i wanted to run by you guys...

yes that seems like a fine strategy... we all know it's a ****ty time for applicants, but in the future, perhaps don't bite the hand that feeds quite so quickly.

The first reply to this thread answered your question.

How did you get through your personal statement without SDN telling you wha to write?

Unless it's something solid (family ties, you worked in a lab that collaborated with them, did your undergrad there, etc) I'd keep it relatively vague. Sure it couldn't hurt to throw out a couple buzz lines about a particular program or institution that catches your eye. IMO it would be hard to make claims such as curriculum preference when you haven't experienced any of the choices before.

Reactions: 1 user