International Students who have made it to US Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BritIndian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I am an International Student, currently pursuing an undergraduate bachelors degree in Science in the United States. I plan to go to Medical School here.

After hours and hours of searching the web, I've been fed up by the inconsistencies and ambiguities present in relation to International Students and Medical School.

I've created this thread in hope that those International Students who have actually been accepted into US Medical Schools will briefly explain and state their methods and strategies in doing so. I really want to know what these International MD students did in terms of GPA, MCAT, Extra-curriculars, Volunteering and Research.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine is an international student (she came to the US to get her bachelor's) and will be attending med school here as well. I'll tell you this: it's a difficult road. She was a stellar applicant that got interviews at all of the top schools and, had she not been an international student, I'm convinced she would've gotten in. I think she was ultimately accepted to two schools after interviewing at maybe 10 or so.

You need to be sure to APPLY BROADLY and, most importantly, have your funding sources set up. You probably won't get any significant aid from schools and will be responsible for getting all of that set up yourself.

Best of luck. It's an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember data being posted by Catalysk (sp) that non-Canadian internationals who got accepted had something like ~33 mean MCAT and ~3.8 mean GPA. This is about 2 MCAT points higher and 0.15 GPA points higher than the mean GPA/MCAT of US acceptances.

I was a little off. Here it is:

The hard data may not be particularly reassuring, but at least you're on the right side of the statistics with your 3.82/34:

Data from AAMC: In 2010, of 1340 international applicants without a US state of residence (991 from Canada +349 all other) only 14.9% matriculated to a US med school (86 Canadian + 105 all other), whereas 43.6% of total applicants did matriculate.

2010 Mean stats for Canadians matriculating at US schools in 2009: MCAT 33.4+/- 3.5, cGPA 3.74 +/- .22, BCPM GPA 3.75 +/-.23

2010 Mean stats for all other internationals who matriculated:
MCAT 33.0 +/- 4.2, cGPA 3.76 +/-.18, BCPM GPA 3.74 +/- .26

2010 Mean stats for all matriculants:
MCAT 31.1 +/- 4.1, cGPA 3.67 +/- .26, BCPM GPA 3.61 +/- .32

Internationals don't get loans?

Only from banks and you need an American cosigner.

OP,

I'm an international applicant too. I know of two people who got in, but as flatearth22 said, you need good stats. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I know some students who made it into dentistry and medicine, but it was a special case since they all were affiliated with Loma Linda through the SDA church.
If you're willing to change your religion/church, then you might have a much better chance at getting in to a med school. ;) (they did have a 3.9 or something, but not a great MCAT).

But more generally, I've heard stories of students getting 4.0 GPAs and 35+ MCAT, ton of volunteer/shadowing, and first author in two research papers published in major journals. I didn't follow through to find out if they actually got accepted, but I guess that gives you an idea of how tough it is for international students to get in.

Refer to MSAR to choose your schools, and you have to work your butt off to get good stats on top of doing lots of ECs, research, rocking the interview/personal statement. It is very difficult, but yes, it can be done.

Refer to MSAR to choose your schools, and you have to work your butt off to get good stats on top of doing lots of ECs, research, rocking the interview/personal statement. It is very difficult, but yes, it can be done.

To expand a little on that, in case you haven't noticed, some schools in CA don't accept any international students at all (or almost close to none). UC Davis or UCI I think were such schools.

Whichever state you're in, I'm sure there a lot of schools that don't accept international students at all, so try avoiding those schools if possible.

Also, to answer a bit more to your question, the student who got accepted to Loma Linda was in the varsity soccer team as well as a TA in some science classes. I don't know for sure about his other activities, but I guess you need to show you have a passion for something other than just science/medicine, but I'm sure you've already read tons of posts about that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am international, and I got in. Applied to about 11 schools, 4 interviews including an MD/PhD, 2 acceptances to MDs.
I applied late in my first try and got 2 interviews but no acceptances, then reapplied right after.
Apply broadly, ace your MCATs, have extracurriculars and all that fun stuff. Also, for me I would say what changed the most between my first and second year was my confidence levels. I improved greatly in interviewing during my second app cycle.
I have three friends who are all international who got in, and know 2 internationals matriculating into my medical school.
Its definitely doable. Do not let SDN or anyone else discourage you. If you know you want to be a doctor, then go for it.

Reactions: 8 users
Thank you!

Texas Physician - Anyway you can get the statistics of your friend from SA who got into Medical school?

Thanks NickNaylor - good to know that you know of atleast someone who has got in. Again if possible, please ask for her statistics

Thanks for the information flatearth22

GS Mikami and Hitsugaaya - I have personal Messaged you! Please invite your friends or acquaintances to this thread, and let them contribute too! Surely appreciate the positive outlook and help you guys are sharing!

Last edited:
Thanks to you too KindaBlue!
Yep, definitely read that before!

international student here as well. I'm applying this cycle.. so far, I have two interviews and one rejection. I haven't heard "real meaningful" news from other schools yet.

international student here as well. I'm applying this cycle.. so far, I have two interviews and one rejection. I haven't heard "real meaningful" news from other schools yet.

Hi, I'm also an international student applying this year. Would you mind sharing from which schools you have got interview offers? thanks

It's good to see some more international students coming forward,

Good luck to everyone!

They don't get federal loans, and a lot of schools ask them to front a year or two tuition up front.
Some schools even ask you to put all of the money from tuition and living expenses for four years into an escrow account. When I read that it scared the crap out of me.

I know two. One got a bachelor's from an Ivy League school and two master degrees by the age of 22, lots of volunteer work and research. He got a 3.9 GPA and 32 MCAT. Got into a top ten.

Another got a bachelor's abroad, masters and PhD here, uGPA was not verified, MCAT is 34, lots of volunteer work. One acceptance on a third application.

Basically, as an international your best shot is either a really really good school or a really bad school. Most middle-of-the-road schools, esp. state med schools, will give you a hard time.

Thanks for the advice.

I hope I hear from more International Students soon

I'm British... I have a green card tho and I definitely think that has made things a lot easier- especially as I pay in-state tuition.:D I haven't encountered any real problems bar having to re-do 90 credit hours after already getting a degree. Pm me if you have any other questions- Good Luck :luck:

I'm British... I have a green card tho and I definitely think that has made things a lot easier- especially as I pay in-state tuition.:D I haven't encountered any real problems bar having to re-do 90 credit hours after already getting a degree. Pm me if you have any other questions- Good Luck :luck:

I thought once you get a green card, you're no longer international student. You pay in-state tuition, and you can get loans... I was an international student once... LONG ago!

Doable but you will have to bust balls to do it. I know one with a slightly lower GPA at 3.46 but had absolutely amazing E.C.'s
Founder of two organizations which raised over $5000 in a year, 3 pubs from 2 diff countries, one prof was was from Oxford U I believe, tons of shadowing including US M.D. (had paperwork) along with volunteering, and among other things, was raised by his brother who had barely made ends meet to pay the bills since parents left them.

Doable but you will have to bust balls to do it. I know one with a slightly lower GPA at 3.46 but had absolutely amazing E.C.'s
Founder of two organizations which raised over $5000 in a year, 3 pubs from 2 diff countries, one prof was was from Oxford U I believe, tons of shadowing including US M.D. (had paperwork) along with volunteering, and among other things, was raised by his brother who had barely made ends meet to pay the bills since parents left them.

I would definitely admit this person.:laugh:

I am international, and I got in. Applied to about 11 schools, 4 interviews including an MD/PhD, 2 acceptances to MDs.
I applied late in my first try and got 2 interviews but no acceptances, then reapplied right after.
Apply broadly, ace your MCATs, have extracurriculars and all that fun stuff. Also, for me I would say what changed the most between my first and second year was my confidence levels. I improved greatly in interviewing during my second app cycle.
I have three friends who are all international who got in, and know 2 internationals matriculating into my medical school.
Its definitely doable. Do not let SDN or anyone else discourage you. If you know you want to be a doctor, then go for it.

I second this. I applied last year and did not have any acceptance. Reapplied and got accepted this year. As you look through the MSAR/USNEWS info, know that if there's another international who can do it, you can too.

I thought once you get a green card, you're no longer international student. You pay in-state tuition, and you can get loans... I was an international student once... LONG ago!
That's true, but you still need credits at an accredited Canadian or US university for many med schools.

International applicant here, just got my first acceptance today...I guess it's possible! :)

Reactions: 3 users
International applicant here, just got my first acceptance today...I guess it's possible! :)

Congrats! Would you turn down Hopkins for a Canadian acceptance?

And I'm going to guess that you'll be taking out a line of credit from a Canadian bank if you end up in the States?

Wowza!

So many replies This is so awesome guys!

I'm still in my second year in school, and things aren't going bad. I just don't have many Extracurriculars going on.

I'm also concerned about where I'm going to school right now. I know that the most important things are your GPA and MCAT scores, but I feel like kids from Ivy leagues and highly recognized schools have a launch pad, (which of course they have earned). I feel like that's an innate advantage though and I haven't heard of many Internationals from Small State Schools getting in...

lxz - that's great ! Congratulations. I'm sure there was a lot of hard work put into it.

Quaero - That's really good to hear. Congratulations buddy!

Candav - Awesome dewd!

I checked out all of your mdapplicant profiles, but there isn't much about your ECs, GPAs, and MCATs. You think we could PM about these things?

Reading all these success stories is making me feel very happy! It's giving me a lot of hope, and I feel that those who work hard are rewarded!

Please share more stories of International Students getting in!

Congrats on the acceptance. How are you going to pay for tuition?

Waiting on scholarships...:( If not, then...get loans from my home country most likely.:scared:

Congrats! Would you turn down Hopkins for a Canadian acceptance?

And I'm going to guess that you'll be taking out a line of credit from a Canadian bank if you end up in the States?

I'd find it very difficult to turn down Hopkins for any Canadian school. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be doing in terms of money, but most likely a combination of loans + family contributions.

Hi just wanted to ask , what schools did you apply to?
and congrats

This is super awesome you guys. I'm hearing about more and more people getting in. I think I've found atleast 4-5 people on this site that Have been accepted despite not having PR status or citizenship.. I hope we find more~!!!!!!!!!!

yo i was a 34, 3.85 from USC with two interviews. failed one and was accepted to the other school.

unfortunately had to defer a year from medical school because i couldn't figure out how to pay their escrow (wanted $211,000 up front).

currently figuring out my finances so i can matriculate in july.

goodluck!

yo i was a 34, 3.85 from USC with two interviews. failed one and was accepted to the other school.

unfortunately had to defer a year from medical school because i couldn't figure out how to pay their escrow (wanted $211,000 up front).

currently figuring out my finances so i can matriculate in july.

goodluck!

$211,000 up front!?

$211,000 up front!?

Yeah there are a few schools like that (I think Stanford and Hopkins are among those).

Most schools only require int' students to submit proof of funds (e.g. bank statement) necessary to cover the COA for the first year.

That's why it is extremely important for every int' student who is applying to do a thorough "financial research" of all the schools that he/she is applying. The new MSAR makes this task much easier.

Last edited:
Int'l student here. Accepted to 2 DO schools and also an MD school albeit a lower tier unranked school. I'm, however, goin to the MD school this fall anyway bcoz i'm pretty darn sure its better than any of the medical schools in my country :D.

Stats 3.42 from a state U. and 31 on the MCAT. 2 years of research in undergrad (no pubs) and full time research as a tech at Hopkins approaching two years now. One review article (2nd author), One article (7th author) in a mid-level journal, and 5 abstracts from my work at Hopkins.

Lots of volunteering back home during high school and summer months when I was in undergrad. Also played soccer in county college (went to cc for a semester due to financial issues)

Don't get discouraged by stats at SDN. They are skewed wayyy to the right. G Luck :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
DrLeaveyLibrary - thank you for sharing friend! hopefully your problems will be solved soon!

GS Mikami - Great to see you on this thread again! You've been doing extremely well and sharing some quality info too!

Docforthepeeps - Very inspirational! Very unique too! Thanks a bunch for sharing! Hopefully a lot more people will come forward to share their stories too!

reading all the success stories from fellow international premeds gave me so much hope, thank you ....I am currently studying to take the MCAT in April and applying this summer...

just curious- anyone here from Ethiopia?

Good luck on the MCAT! I'm not Ethiopian but I met a guy during my interview who is one :D

Another Canadian applicant here, this cycle I have had 8 interviews and received 3 acceptances so far so it is definitely doable! Just make sure you do thorough research beforehand (MSAR, calling schools, looking online...) to ensure that you aren't wasting your time (and money) by applying to certain schools who either have a poor track-record of accepting internationals, or who have financial policies that you aren't comfortable with.

reading all the success stories from fellow international premeds gave me so much hope, thank you ....I am currently studying to take the MCAT in April and applying this summer...

just curious- anyone here from Ethiopia?

A friend of mine is Nigerian and applying in 2013. Stellar stats and a working PT. If he were an American applicant, he would blow those admissions out of the water; we are really hoping he sees returns for his hard work.

EDIT: The running joke is to introduce him to every single American female we know.

It's good to see some more international students coming forward,

Good luck to everyone!

I like international students a lot, you would be welcome around me...in school or out. Be persistent, do your research, and this med school process can be good 2 you.