Other countries where dentists do well

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whodat4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I searched to see if this has ever been answered and couldn't find anything. I was wondering, with the American economy caving in, what other countries seem to be dentist-friendly. For example, where can you go to have less stress, make more, and a combination of other factors that make one happy. I think this is really an interesting topic, so if you answer put some reasons with the country you're indicating will have a strong economy for dentists, please. Thanks so much for your advice/discussions in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I searched to see if this has ever been answered and couldn't find anything. I was wondering, with the American economy caving in, what other countries seem to be dentist-friendly. For example, where can you go to have less stress, make more, and a combination of other factors that make one happy. I think this is really an interesting topic, so if you answer put some reasons with the country you're indicating will have a strong economy for dentists, please. Thanks so much for your advice/discussions in advance!

... I honestly can't tell if you're trolling.

On a side note, "have less stress and make more money" aren't factors that "make one happy".

I'm not a "troll." So making more money doesn't make you happy? Living a less stressful life doesn't make you happy? You didn't answer the question, rather tried to start an argument. I think most of us here would enjoy higher paychecks and less stress (among many other factors I didn't list).

From Wikipedia...

..."a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"....

1.) How was my question inflammatory or extraneous?
2.) Did anyone else think I had the intent of provoking an emotional response to you?

So to get back around to the subject...do you know of any other countries where dentists do well (whatever "well" may mean to you)?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Find a job in community health centers. It's less stressful and you don't even need to pass the board. I worked there 3 months and averaged 3-4 patients a day with mostly no shows; killing time mostly on internet and reading magazines. You can also run off to Vietnam and just skip out on your student loans like some are doing. There are offices all over the country catering to just expats that are doing quite well.

Find a job in community health centers. It's less stressful and you don't even need to pass the board. I worked there 3 months and averaged 3-4 patients a day with mostly no shows; killing time mostly on internet and reading magazines. You can also run off to Vietnam and just skip out on your student loans like some are doing. There are offices all over the country catering to just expats that are doing quite well.

That's very interesting! I actually thought about going to Germany because I have family from there and I've researched it to no end, and I have no earthly idea of how they do over there.

Australia, New Zealand and Germany comes top in my head. Sorry I don't have any reasoning for my list.

Last edited:
there are many countries where there are best dentists. the dentists in other countries also do well. some of the countries where dentist do well are japan, Usa, India, and many more developed European country.
wisdom teeth recovery

thanks for the info! I'll research these some more!

BS; no dentist can work anywhere in the states without passing the boards and getting a license. the exception is that federal clinics allow you to work there with ANY active state license, but you still need to pass the boards and obtain a license

BS; no dentist can work anywhere in the states without passing the boards and getting a license. the exception is that federal clinics allow you to work there with ANY active state license, but you still need to pass the boards and obtain a license

Don't get mad because you have to take the board. One of my former students have been working at a community health center near Boston for the past 4 years after graduation without passing the board; her license is a temporary that renews every year. The other place where I worked at for 3 months have a Mexican dentist without any US license; he told me he was in the process to taking the board.

Don't get mad because you have to take the board. One of my former students have been working at a community health center near Boston for the past 4 years after graduation without passing the board; her license is a temporary that renews every year. The other place where I worked at for 3 months have a Mexican dentist without any US license; he told me he was in the process to taking the board.

Wow! How can people get by without taking the boards? That's scary and I feel sorry for whomever their patients may be! :eek:

Yes, it is possible to work without a dental license. A couple of my wife’s classmates, who didn’t pass the CA state board, drove 4-5 hours to Arizona to work at the Indian reservation. There were a couple of instructors at my school who were foreign trained dentists and didn’t have a dental license.

This thread seems to have derailed a bit.

Back to the original question, I would think there are a fair number of countries like australia and new zealand, maybe britain, where english speaking dentists can do well outside the U.S. However I feel it would be very difficult to set up a practice from outside the country you wish to go to unless you had enough money to get everything set up before you left, a practice or associate position, licensing procedures, etc.; which I'd think you'd run into other problems if you tried to do it all remotely.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, it is possible to work without a dental license. A couple of my wife’s classmates, who didn’t pass the CA state board, drove 4-5 hours to Arizona to work at the Indian reservation. There were a couple of instructors at my school who were foreign trained dentists and didn’t have a dental license.

lol trust me i'm not mad that i have a license.. again not saying what you guys is not true; but i failed my license exam on the first attempt and panicked and began looking for somewhere to work without a license. all the Indian health an community clinics told me that you need a license to practice there.

PS: i'm assuming your talking about not passing the license exam; not the Part II boards..

edit: this is directly from the IHS website:

http://www.ihs.gov/medicalprograms/dental/index.cfm?module=faq#3

3. Do I need a dental license to apply?
Yes, unless you’re currently in training. If you are applying for the Civil Service or the Commissioned Corps, employment requires a dental license from any of the 50 US states. For direct Tribal hire, you must be licensed in the state in which you will be working. If you will be graduating this year, then you are welcome to apply now, but you must have a license upon hire date.

so what your saying may have been true, but it's not any longer

I am just as curious as you why one of my students is working in a community health center after graduating without ever having taken the clinical board exam. This is what I found,"Limited license registrant dentists are graduates of a reputable dental college who practice dentistry under the direction of a licensed dentist at a hospital/CHC maintained or incorporated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Dentists with limited license registration may not practice in a private dental setting and may only participate in the intramural group practices that are operated by non‐profit dental clinics, educational, or research institutions and their affiliated hospitals. Limited licenses are renewed annually and are limited to five years unless an applicant passes a clinical exam administered by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry (BORID) or is a full time faculty member of a dental college." (source: Massachusetts Department of Public Health)

There's a push to have these community health center dentists automatically get their regular license without the need for board exams. Government health care sure attract the brightest people...those who can't pass the board without government intervention. Sounds fair to me, omaralt.:smuggrin:

I am just as curious as you why one of my students is working in a community health center after graduating without ever having taken the clinical board exam. This is what I found,"Limited license registrant dentists are graduates of a reputable dental college who practice dentistry under the direction of a licensed dentist at a hospital/CHC maintained or incorporated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Dentists with limited license registration may not practice in a private dental setting and may only participate in the intramural group practices that are operated by non‐profit dental clinics, educational, or research institutions and their affiliated hospitals. Limited licenses are renewed annually and are limited to five years unless an applicant passes a clinical exam administered by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry (BORID) or is a full time faculty member of a dental college." (source: Massachusetts Department of Public Health)

There's a push to have these community health center dentists automatically get their regular license without the need for board exams. Government health care sure attract the brightest people...those who can't pass the board without government intervention. Sounds fair to me, omaralt.:smuggrin:

interesting.. i guess you can work in mass w/limited license in a federal qualified clinic for up to 5 yrs.. good to know, thanks

I have heard that Canadian dentists do well. If I could trade places with someone from up north I would do it in a second. They get much cheaper education, have lower unemployment, longer life spans, more effective health care for their citizens, and they have the opportunity to be a part of the common wealth.

There is some hope for us though. If this News Of The World scandal takes down the Newscorp media empire the national discussion may return to a discussion with some intellectual rigor.

Last edited:
There is some hope for us though. If this News Of The World scandal takes down the Newscorp media empire the national discussion may return to a discussion with some intellectual rigor.

Sure! Then you're left with leftist garbage from the ABC, BBC, CBC, the rest of MSM pushing global warming sacrifice along with 'hope and change.'

Whoa - that was amazing.

In one sentance you commited to the three most overly used republican talking points:

-You suggested that most other media sources (to which you might as well said the "main stream media") are leftist. But lets consider who has the largest viewership; newscorp.

-Enviromental science criticism

-2008 election slogan satire

:laugh:

But really, I did watch fox till about a week ago. Laura was filling in for O'reilly and commented on how the Oslo bombing/shooting was performed by a Muslum extremist. Then her next story was about the NY city Mosque. It was Sickening to lump those two stories close to each other but even worse that the former story was not accurate.

That was not the first time something like that had happened; but, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sure! Then you're left with leftist garbage from the ABC, BBC, CBC, the rest of MSM pushing global warming sacrifice along with 'hope and change.'

Edit: You DID! MSM.

Sorry my post is way off subject.

Last edited:
I have heard that Canadian dentists do well. If I could trade places with someone from up north I would do it in a second. They get much cheaper education, have lower unemployment, longer life spans, more effective health care for their citizens, and they have the opportunity to be a part of the common wealth.

Lol.
You have no idea how hard it is to get into a Canadian dental school.
Think 3.8 GPA for the average matriculant.
Any Canadian with a 3.50 gpa would LOVE to trade spots with you.

You raise a good point - as I dont even have a 3.5 LOL. Maybe I'll just count myself lucky if I ever make it into a dental school period.

Lol.
You have no idea how hard it is to get into a Canadian dental school.
Think 3.8 GPA for the average matriculant.
Any Canadian with a 3.50 gpa would LOVE to trade spots with you.

But really, I did watch fox till about a week ago. Laura was filling in for O'reilly and commented on how the Oslo bombing/shooting was performed by a Muslum extremist. Then her next story was about the NY city Mosque. It was Sickening to lump those two stories close to each other but even worse that the former story was not accurate.

That was not the first time something like that had happened; but, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sorry my post is way off subject.

I'm not saying should watch the daily hatred spewing out of Foxnews. Just watch some Fox and some MSM to get a balanced world view. However, if you simply follow the money trail, in which a whopping 95% of reporters' donation go to liberal cause and liberal candidacy, you will see why MSM news isn't so balanced. Like you I rarely watch Oreily or Laura so I don't know what she said and cannot comment. I know the MSM didn't want to deal with the ACORN election fraud and prostitution story, Black Panther election intimidation story, Climategate email story, Obama forcing Boeing to close a nonunion new plant in South Caroline story, GM bailout and fake loan repayment story, among may others.

I'm not saying should watch the daily hatred spewing out of Foxnews. Just watch some Fox and some MSM to get a balanced world view. However, if you simply follow the money trail, in which a whopping 95% of reporters' donation go to liberal cause and liberal candidacy, you will see why MSM news isn't so balanced. Like you I rarely watch Oreily or Laura so I don't know what she said and cannot comment. I know the MSM didn't want to deal with the ACORN election fraud and prostitution story, Black Panther election intimidation story, Climategate email story, Obama forcing Boeing to close a nonunion new plant in South Caroline story, GM bailout and fake loan repayment story, among may others.

I agree, all news sources are biased. The only difference is, Fox news is biased towards the right wing, conservatives.

Every other news source I can think of is left wing, liberal...government/media complex controlled (NBC, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Huff Post, etc...)

All politics aside, let's look at some numbers (they don't lie)

I will never understand how our president gets away with blaming everything on Bush and people actually fall for it. I don't know about you, but before this president hit office...I had NO trouble making ends meet or finding a job. What I will never understand is how Obama can call people making more than 250k private jet-owners when they can barely make their own ends meet. I don't know about you all, but in my math class...there was a pretty significant difference in 250k and a billion dollars. How does he get away with calling those who make 250k "billionaires"...I will never understand why no one confronts him on this.

Take an endodontist that nets 250k for example (source: http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/federal-income-irs-tax-brackets.html) -Since I'm going to LLU, I will use their tuition rates:

Federal Tax (I'm married) = 33% (incidentally, Obama wants this 37%, but we will use 33%) = 82.5k
State Tax in CA = 11%=27.5k
----------------------------------
Total in taxes: 110k

So, now I'm down to 140k

Education:
-50k for undergrad
-320k for dental school
-158k for residency
--------------------------
Total Debt Coming Out = 528k

***Student Loan Monthly payment on 25 yr repayment plan = ~3,800 - total yearly payments = 45,600
Now we're down to 94,400

Home Mortgage on a 300k home loan (not "billionaire" status in Cali by any means)
***Monthly payment = 2k on 30 year fixed, 5% = total yearly payments = 24k
Now we're down to 70,400

Cars and Insurance =
***1.5k/mo = 18k/year...now down to 52,400

I need to buy a practice - 500k - 30 yr fixed at 6%
***Monthly payment = ~3k x 12 = 36k/yr, now we are left with 16,400

I need my own health insurance
***Monthly payment = ~1,000 for my family....now we have 4,400 left for the year

Add in groceries, child expenditures, and other miscellaneous costs/bills...and that 4,400 is eaten up quick. How does one save money? AND liberals want to raise taxes even more??? When will they be happy? 50%? 75%? 90%? At some point we become the dreaded "s" word (slave) to the government, don't we? We already work 5+ months of 12 for the government alone. So, if one contributes this much to society, you would think he/she would be able to "qualify" for government programs and incentives...but the truth is it's just the opposite. The more you pay in, the less you qualify.

So, my question to you (the liberals browsing through here) is this...how is this being one who "can afford to pay a little more" or one that "is a private jet owner?" I say he should lead by example and pay more of the 5+ million he made since he believes in his cause so much.

Last edited:
Another question:

Why doesn't Obama call out the "billionaire jet owners" that gave him money to campaign? Didn't he promise "hope" and "change?"

General Electric (GE) is the best example:

"General Electric, the nation's largest corporation, had a very good year in 2010.

The company reported worldwide profits of $14.2 billion, and said $5.1 billion of the total came from its operations in the United States.

Its American tax bill? None. In fact, G.E. claimed a tax benefit of $3.2 billion.

That may be hard to fathom for the millions of American business owners and households now preparing their own returns, but low taxes are nothing new for G.E. The company has been cutting the percentage of its American profits paid to the Internal Revenue Service for years, resulting in a far lower rate than at most multinational companies.

Its extraordinary success is based on an aggressive strategy that mixes fierce lobbying for tax breaks and innovative accounting that enables it to concentrate its profits offshore. G.E.'s giant tax department, led by a bow-tied former Treasury official named John Samuels, is often referred to as the world's best tax law firm. Indeed, the company's slogan "Imagination at Work" fits this department well. The team includes former officials not just from the Treasury, but also from the I.R.S. and virtually all the tax-writing committees in Congress.

While General Electric is one of the most skilled at reducing its tax burden, many other companies have become better at this as well. Although the top corporate tax rate in the United States is 35 percent, one of the highest in the world, companies have been increasingly using a maze of shelters, tax credits and subsidies to pay far less.

In a regulatory filing just a week before the Japanese disaster put a spotlight on the company's nuclear reactor business, G.E. reported that its tax burden was 7.4 percent of its American profits, about a third of the average reported by other American multinationals. Even those figures are overstated, because they include taxes that will be paid only if the company brings its overseas profits back to the United States. With those profits still offshore, G.E. is effectively getting money back."

Why doesn't he call these people out? I'm sure we could use some of the jobs they're taking overseas here...and the government could use the "revenues" like never before. Bet ya didn't hear this one on MSNBC or CNN, or any of the other 99% of media that covers up what he does. So, basically a small business gets screwed unless they can offer him millions for his crooked campaigns. Is this different from any other president? Of course not! But the difference is that he promised "hope" and "change" to get us away from the politicians we were used to.

Last edited:
I was wondering, with the American economy caving in, what other countries seem to be dentist-friendly.

I found this article from the New York Times that provides some statistics on the salaries "doctors" earn in other countries: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/how-much-do-doctors-in-other-countries-make/ . I realize how much you hate leftist propaganda (har-har), but don't worry, the information here was taken directly from a report compiled by an independent organization.

I found this article from the New York Times that provides some statistics on the salaries "doctors" earn in other countries: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/how-much-do-doctors-in-other-countries-make/ . I realize how much you hate leftist propaganda (har-har), but don't worry, the information here was taken directly from a report compiled by an independent organization.

Hey thanks for this! This really has nothing to do with propaganda though...I can't for the life of me figure out why (where doctors do well) would be on the top priority list of the government. Numbers have no agenda, if you know what I mean.

Hey thanks for this! This really has nothing to do with propaganda though...

lol. Sorry, I meant it as a joke. I was referring to the fact that the article came from the NY Times, which conservatives like to slam for being a leftist rag.

lol. Sorry, I meant it as a joke. I was referring to the fact that the article came from the NY Times, which conservatives like to slam for being a leftist rag.

HA, no it's cool man. I've never really even read them so I can't say either way.

I found this article from the New York Times that provides some statistics on the salaries "doctors" earn in other countries: http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/how-much-do-doctors-in-other-countries-make/

The very end the article do say "...health care professionals in other O.E.C.D. countries pay much less (if anything) for their medical educations than do their American counterparts. In other words, doctors and nurses in the rest of the industrialized world start their medical careers with much less student loan debt compared to medical graduates in the United States."

Are you suggesting US doctor should go into A LOT more debt for their med school education without an equally rewarding return? Would you go into A LOT more debt without an equally rewarding return?

Hi, I have done my BDS in India and am currently into private practise in India. I have approx. 17 years behind me. Please elaborate about CHCs please. and can I work there

I was wondering, with the American economy caving in, what other countries seem to be dentist-friendly. For example, where can you go to have less stress, make more, and a combination of other factors that make one happy.

I'm a dentist in Australia and I wouldn't wish to work anywhere else in the entire world. :D

If you dont mind sharing... what is the compensation level / year for your average dentist in Australia for a general that has been in the biz for 5+ yrs?

I'm a dentist in Australia and I wouldn't wish to work anywhere else in the entire world. :D

Greetings Dr.Millisevert !! You and I have been MIA for a while..I have not heard from Sydney. But U of Melbourne SND program offered a 2012 spot to me. Looks like the appreciating AUD scared away most of the younger international applicants. Following advice of my Aussie financial adviser, I bought most of my Australian Dollar when the exchange rate was $ 1 USD = 1.5-1.6 AUD instead of current exchange rate of one AUD = 1.10 USD. At least I am financially set to tackle the SND program. I have until Aug 15 to decide with Melbourne's latest offer. Hope everything is well with you and your practice.
:)

Last edited:
If you dont mind sharing... what is the compensation level / year for your average dentist in Australia for a general that has been in the biz for 5+ yrs?

Well...
Just like the states it depends on where and under what circumstances you are working. Do you own your own practice? Are you a salaried employee? Do you get a %? Most non-owner dentists who work in Australia get somewhere between 32%-45% commission and work as an independent contractor and pay their own superannuation (aka 401k) contributions, malpractice, etc. The big cities Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, etc are all a little saturated with dentists.. so many dentists (especially those 1-5 years out) work out of multiple practices. Generally speaking you will make more $ in the countryside/rural areas (this includes smaller seaside towns) because of less competition and lower expenses.

If I had to give numbers.. I would say in Sydney.. the average for 5+ year out non-owner dentists working for someone else ... probably ranges somewhere between 100k-300k AUD (or more).. again depending on experience, type of work done, etc.

I would say its pretty much the same as the states. Dentistry is what you make it. The harder you work the more you will make. It is getting harder to make it quickly in the big cities though.. but again that is no different to anywhere else in the world that has large cities that people want to live.

(don't know if that helps or not)

Greetings Dr.Millisevert !! You and I have been MIA for a while..I have not heard from Sydney. But U of Melbourne SND program offered a 2012 spot to me. Looks like the appreciating AUD scared away most of the younger international applicants. Following advice of my Aussie financial adviser, I bought most of my Australian Dollar when the exchange rate was $ 1 USD = 1.5-1.6 AUD instead of current exchange rate of one AUD = 1.10 USD. At least I am financially set to tackle the SND program. I have until Aug 15 to decide with Melbourne's latest offer. Hope everything is well with you and your practice.
:)

Sounds like you made a great decision converting your money to AUD when you did!! Congrats on your acceptance to Melb's program!! I hope you are seriously considering accepting the offer. You'll love it! Hope all is well.. Good luck with all your decisions in the coming months.:thumbup:

Sounds like you made a great decision converting your money to AUD when you did!! Congrats on your acceptance to Melb's program!! I hope you are seriously considering accepting the offer. You'll love it! Hope all is well.. Good luck with all your decisions in the coming months.:thumbup:
Thank you Dr. Millisevert. I like to offer my sincere appreciation to Melbourne's SND course convener (chairman) for taking a chance on this 47 year old dentist. :) Australian Dollar (commodity currency) is one of the stronger currencies for this decade. Currently vacationing in Mongolia to look for investment opportunities. Most professional investors think Mongolia tugrik will be in the same league as the Aussie Dollar within a decade..

RBA Holds at 4.75% as Stevens Weighs Global Outlook, Sending Dollar Lower
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-75-to-gauge-u-s-slowdown-currency-falls.html

The RBA has relied on the Australian dollar's strength to temper gains in inflation. The local currency has risen about 20 percent in the past year and reached $1.1081 on July 27, the highest level since it was freely floated in 1983.

The currency's appreciation mirrors rising global demand for Australian iron ore, coal and other resources.

Last edited:
nuked~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Pretty much any commonwealth country is good. UK is one of the best compensated in europe followed by germany. Avoid France at all costs. My gf say's her relatives back in northern india do very well as dentists and doctors.

I've heard that dentists from the US in UAE (ie dubai, abu dhabi) can make pretty good money plus they don't have to pay hardly any taxes:D

I've heard that dentists from the US in UAE (ie dubai, abu dhabi) can make pretty good money plus they don't have to pay hardly any taxes:D

Keep wishing. US citizens have to pay the host country's tax plus their USA tax. However, IRC Sec. 911 provides that qualified taxpayer can elect to exclude foreign earned income up to $87,600 from taxable income. Maybe I'll ask them to pay me in gold coins instead.

I'm not saying we dont have troubles, but I lost faith in these rating agencies when they influenced the market to take on the risks prior to the great recession.

Might as well to begin your search with the countries that are still left standing sort of speak....
The Last AAA Countries (And Those At Risk)

http://247wallst.com/2011/08/04/the...d-those-that-are-at-risk-of-being-downgraded/

Sure looks like austerity is here...

30,000 college students kicked out of food aid program in Michigan
http://detnews.com/article/20110808...ts-kicked-out-of-food-aid-program-in-Michigan

Keep wishing. US citizens have to pay the host country's tax plus their USA tax. However, IRC Sec. 911 provides that qualified taxpayer can elect to exclude foreign earned income up to $87,600 from taxable income. Maybe I'll ask them to pay me in gold coins instead.

Well... if it is a permanent move... then why wouldn't you just give up your US citizenship? Then its no longer a problem.. as the US is the only country in the world that taxes its citizens regardless if they live in the US or not. (most mega wealthy Americans and Hollywood celebrities have already done this at the advice of their accountants) Take up another citizenship and you're good to go. :idea: These days having a US passport isn't what it used to be. It can actually be limiting. I can as an Australian travel to (without a visa) more countries than a US passport holder. I can even go to some countries where US citizens' aren't allowed (e.g. Cuba).

If I were to (in general) rank the most valuable citizenships/passports to have:

1: Norway
2: Australia, New Zealand, UK, Canada, Switzerland
3: Most EU passports, Most other British Commonwealth countries
3: USA, Singapore, UAE, most south american countries
4: rest of the world

Norway is fantastic because they pay for everything for their citizens. I know Norwegians who went to University in Australia and the Norwegian government pays for everything. They have a huge budget surplus (due to oil reserves I believe). They have a well controlled population and group of productive citizens. Its too cold for me there though. :)

I'm of course biased.. but I feel Australia is the best of the bunch. Lower taxes than Canada, but still all the public benefits and social programs. Highly capitalist and lots of deductions for small business owners. Aussie dollar is very strong and although can be affected by US problems (as are most places).. the economy is still highly insulated from the US and its issues. Plus the weather can't be beat. Every time I travel overseas.. I come home knowing I live in the best place on earth.

Last edited:
Excellent point !! :thumbup: Critical thinking is a lost art..Hence seeing is believing..Why not travel to these other countries if you have the means ? :) Just to take a look and talk to the locals ? :)
I'm not saying we dont have troubles, but I lost faith in these rating agencies when they influenced the market to take on the risks prior to the great recession.

Well... if it is a permanent move... then why wouldn't you just give up your US citizenship? Then its no longer a problem.. as the US is the only country in the world that taxes its citizens regardless if they live in the US or not. (most mega wealthy Americans and Hollywood celebrities have already done this at the advice of their accountants) Take up another citizenship and you're good to go. :idea: These days having a US passport isn't what it used to be. It can actually be limiting. I can as an Australian travel to (without a visa) more countries than a US passport holder. I can even go to some countries where US citizens' aren't allowed (e.g. Cuba).

If I were to (in general) rank the most valuable citizenships/passports to have:

1: Norway
2: Australia, New Zealand, UK, Canada, Switzerland
3: Most EU passports, Most other British Commonwealth countries
3: USA, Singapore, UAE, most south american countries
4: rest of the world

Norway is fantastic because they pay for everything for their citizens. I know Norwegians who went to University in Australia and the Norwegian government pays for everything. They have a huge budget surplus (due to oil reserves I believe). They have a well controlled population and group of productive citizens. Its too cold for me there though. :)

I'm of course biased.. but I feel Australia is the best of the bunch. Lower taxes than Canada, but still all the public benefits and social programs. Highly capitalist and lots of deductions for small business owners. Aussie dollar is very strong and although can be affected by US problems (as are most places).. the economy is still highly insulated from the US and its issues. Plus the weather can't be beat. Every time I travel overseas.. I come home knowing I live in the best place on earth.

Which part of Australia do u live in Dr Millisivert? Are you a general dentist?

Im a UK qualified dentist and am considering a move over to Oz. I visited in June - didnt like Sydney so much, but really liked Melbourne! What are the opportunities like in the Melbourne suburbs? Ive been qualified 5 years and am fairly proficient in all aspects of general practice, with 5 years UK private practice experience....

Which part of Australia do u live in Dr Millisivert? Are you a general dentist?

Im a UK qualified dentist and am considering a move over to Oz. I visited in June - didnt like Sydney so much, but really liked Melbourne! What are the opportunities like in the Melbourne suburbs? Ive been qualified 5 years and am fairly proficient in all aspects of general practice, with 5 years UK private practice experience....

I'm based in the Sydney suburbs. I'm not sure about Melbourne.. but I would assume its a pretty similar situation to Sydney. I'm sure you can find something if you're serious. I would contact some of the dental recruiters in the area and see if they can help you find something that would suit. If I didn't have my current local commitments and could set up somewhere else.. I would go to a smaller rural town in a heartbeat. The patients are usually more compliant and there is less competition... and your rent will be considerably less than the bigger cities. (just my 2 cents) Good luck

Are the majority of those "down under" welcoming to those of us from the US?

BTW: Milliservert, the things you say on this forum make so much sense. I have a lot of really conservative friends who always tell me what a wonderful place the US is; and don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful. I served in the military and am going to UG under aid designed for vets; however, I don't think there is anything that special about the US anymore.

Our schools (primary education) are failing, we don't produce anything, most good jobs are in the financial sector and we outsource technical/engineering, we're very unhealthy, etc etc etc. I dont think we can really say we're "exceptional" anymore because on almost every metric we're not. Also, as you put it, I think there is a brain drain that will be occurring too as our leaders pull funding from important research.

To be clear, one of our potential VP's commented on how much money we're wasting on a "fruit fly" when infact she was talking about medical genetic research being done using drosophila as an animal model. She received applause for that one :scared:

I'm based in the Sydney suburbs. I'm not sure about Melbourne.. but I would assume its a pretty similar situation to Sydney. I'm sure you can find something if you're serious. I would contact some of the dental recruiters in the area and see if they can help you find something that would suit. If I didn't have my current local commitments and could set up somewhere else.. I would go to a smaller rural town in a heartbeat. The patients are usually more compliant and there is less competition... and your rent will be considerably less than the bigger cities. (just my 2 cents) Good luck

I found Sydney to be extremely expensive. It also
Seemed to be behind the times compared with London/UK. However I stayed in the CBD and didn't get a chance to get to the suburbs which I heard are nice.
I have a place for a 3yr prostho residency in London but not sure if it's worth it for Oz. Would a prostho specialist make alot more than a gp in Oz? It's quite an expensive course coupled with loss of earnings and living costs I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it?

I found Sydney to be extremely expensive. It also
Seemed to be behind the times compared with London/UK. However I stayed in the CBD and didn't get a chance to get to the suburbs which I heard are nice.
I have a place for a 3yr prostho residency in London but not sure if it's worth it for Oz. Would a prostho specialist make alot more than a gp in Oz? It's quite an expensive course coupled with loss of earnings and living costs I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it?

Yes, Sydney is expensive (one of the most expensive places to live on the planet) so I can't argue with you there.

Are you American/Canadian? When did you visit Sydney? Australia is the most removed place on earth (maybe NZ being more so) :) ... so sometimes we don't have "every brand" on earth. .. but the major cities (Melb and Syd) have most everything you would find in London, NYC, etc. What did you feel specifically was lacking? We just got our first CostCo in Sydney recently if that makes you feel better. haha

That being said.. the fact that we are so far removed from everything else is one of the reasons that make this place so safe and nice to live in. ;)

yes, there are a few prosthos in Sydney and Melb... if you wanted to go to a smaller city, then you would probably do well as a prostho. ... but that being said, you'd do well as a general dentist in a smaller city too (if by well you mean financially). Your UK prostho training (should you decide to complete it) would be well respected here (if you decided to move and work in Australia afterwards) and you would be eligible to sit the MRACDS (Pros) and/or FRACDS (Pros) specialty exams (aka board certification).

Bottom line.. if you really want to live in the UK and you are really passionate about Pros... then by all means .. go for it.

However,
If you want to live and work in Australia long term and are interested in pros. I'd suggest applying to do your Pros training in Australia and sitting the licensure exams here. :thumbup: