Case Western In ADEA Handbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking through my ADEA handbook today and I saw that last year Case interviewed 235 out of state applicants. Of those 235, 210 were accepted.
(several other schools had similar numbers)

According to their website, Case only had 73 seats last year.

It seems like a competitive program to get into based on their average DAT and GPA and I get that they need to over-accept but I'm curious as to why they admit almost 90% of the out of state interviewees? and why do accept nearly three times the expected incoming class?

Members don't see this ad.

Because case is private and more expensive than in state schools most people accepted with high stats give up their seats for instate lower cost schools or other ivy leagues. Once I was accepted at osu December 1st last year I didn't even go to my case interview December 16th. Osu was less expensive by about $150,000 and had higher stats plus who doesn't was to be a buckeye ;-)

Yeah, most people probably do not take the offer due to high cost. As you can see from that stat, a lot of people pass on Case even if accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because case is private and more expensive than in state schools most people accepted with high stats give up their seats for instate lower cost schools or other ivy leagues. Once I was accepted at osu December 1st last year I didn't even go to my case interview December 16th. Osu was less expensive by about $150,000 and had higher stats plus who doesn't was to be a buckeye ;-)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=791510&highlight=dantemac

If you look at my analysis of the 2009 ADEA data, they interviewed like 215 OOS people and accepted about 178. That is roughly ~80% admitted. So it varies per year.

For what is is worth, if you are OOS interviewing there, you have great credentials and a good chance of going there.

Yeah, most people probably do not take the offer due to high cost. As you can see from that stat, a lot of people pass on Case even if accepted.

Awesome thanks guys. I it makes sense, I didn't realize how expensive it was relative to other schools!

Any other opinions?

How much is Case per year for an OOS student? I don't have the numbers in front of me...

From ADEA.

It's the same in and out of state:

First......Second.... Third...... Fourth Year
$82,708 $78,639 $81,202 $82,928

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Holy mother mary and the seven saints!

From ADEA.

It's the same in and out of state:

First......Second.... Third...... Fourth Year
$82,708 $78,639 $81,202 $82,928

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

wats the problem here? thats the same as Nova, Columbia, Harvard, Midwest, Pitts, Boston...etc etc.

Can someone post their average DAT , GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
2010 ADEA data:

Avg dat/pat = 20
Avg gpa = 3.59

Cool, perhaps I have a chance at Case.

Hey guys,

I was looking through my ADEA handbook today and I saw that last year Case interviewed 235 out of state applicants. Of those 235, 210 were accepted.
(several other schools had similar numbers)

According to their website, Case only had 73 seats last year.

It seems like a competitive program to get into based on their average DAT and GPA and I get that they need to over-accept but I'm curious as to why they admit almost 90% of the out of state interviewees? and why do accept nearly three times the expected incoming class?

Where do you see the accepted numbers? I am only seeing the "enrolled" numbers..

Where do you see the accepted numbers? I am only seeing the "enrolled" numbers..

from doc tootaches #'s I believe for the OOS perspective, only 8% of OOS get interviews but out of those 8%, 89% are accepted. so basically you have a small chance to get an interview, but if you do then you're pretty much accepted. So its not a bad deal. I think Tufts has similar stats where a HUGE # of applicants apply, only a few small amount get interviews, but like 80% of those people get acceptances so those odds are pretty good in my opinion.

Meanwhile VCU has crappy stats, they only interview 10% of OOS students that apply and then only 38% of those get in. So its not really a good bet for your money.

from doc tootaches #'s I believe for the OOS perspective, only 8% of OOS get interviews but out of those 8%, 89% are accepted. so basically you have a small chance to get an interview, but if you do then you're pretty much accepted. So its not a bad deal. I think Tufts has similar stats where a HUGE # of applicants apply, only a few small amount get interviews, but like 80% of those people get acceptances so those odds are pretty good in my opinion.

Meanwhile VCU has crappy stats, they only interview 10% of OOS students that apply and then only 38% of those get in. So its not really a good bet for your money.

Well I have the actual ADA book, but don't see the accepted number. Do you know the percent of Nova acceptances for interviewees by any chance?

NOVA didn't report data in 2009, but...

There were at least ~3000 out of state applicants.
Out of those applicants, only 55 were enrolled in the class.

I don't have the numbers for those interviewed and accepted, but from start to finish, if you are from out of state you have less than a 2% chance of ending up in that class.

Page 32-33 in ADEA handbook. I see columns for "applicants" and "enrollees"

Under applicants they list in and out of state with sub-columbus for total, number interviewed, and number accepted.

NOVA didn't report data in 2009, but...

There were at least ~3000 out of state applicants.
Out of those applicants, only 55 were enrolled in the class.

I don't have the numbers for those interviewed and accepted, but from start to finish, if you are from out of state you have less than a 2% chance of ending up in that class.

idk.. it is a private school, so I don't think they give preference over OOS applicants. Since it is private, generally speaking it is assumable that many of these accepted applicants chose a cheaper state school or a school closer to home over it. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if more FL residents enrolled since they are from FL and might want to stay there.

hey dante, i will compare your list to doc tootaches, i think his #s are newer but im not sure if you guys compare it the same way.

Do you calculate it via the total applicant pool?

in the 2010 ADEA book, it says Case interviews ~8% total OOS applicants and of those 79% were accepted.

hey dante, i will compare your list to doc tootaches, i think his #s are newer but im not sure if you guys compare it the same way.

Do you calculate it via the total applicant pool?

I calculated only percentage of OOS applicants given interviews.

So, if you look at my numbers for say, UCLA, there are 1920 total applications. Of those, 783 came from out of state.

Of the 783 out of state applicants, only 28 were given interviews. Of those 28 interviewed, 24 were accepted.

I calculated only percentage of OOS applicants given interviews.

So, if you look at my numbers for say, UCLA, there are 1920 total applications. Of those, 783 came from out of state.

Of the 783 out of state applicants, only 28 were given interviews. Of those 28 interviewed, 24 were accepted.

right thats the same thing i did for VCU and i had totally different numbers than you, maybe its because of the difference in 2010 and 2011 data.

Virg OOS applicants 2236 oos interviewed 228 oos accepted 87

Yeah, but if you look at percentages, mine are about the same. They would tell you that applying to VCU is a good bet for OOS students.

Yeah, but if you look at percentages, mine are about the same. They would tell you that applying to VCU is a good bet for OOS students.

lol so can you elaborate how? if you only have a 10% chance of being interviewed, and then only a 38% chance of being accepted? how do you qualify that as good? thats pretty bad IMO. meanwhile Case is about 9% chance of interview and then a 89% of acceptances, now that makes sense.

lol so can you elaborate how? if you only have a 10% chance of being interviewed, and then only a 38% chance of being accepted? how do you qualify that as good? thats pretty bad IMO. meanwhile Case is about 9% chance of interview and then a 89% of acceptances, now that makes sense.

I don't know... I think taking the number of interviewed/applicants is kind of moot in my opinion.

Your chances are most likely much higher if you are way above the avg applicant if you have above avg stats.

I don't know... I think taking the number of interviewed/applicants is kind of moot in my opinion.

Your chances are most likely much higher if you are way above the avg applicant if you have above avg stats.

its not moot, while I understand your point, I highly doubt that 90% of the rejected students OOS applicants from VCU are under qualified. Such a small interview % means that the school is highly selective and will pick the best of all the incoming applicants. but then again how do you carve out GPA vs DAT, while GPA usually matters more than the DAT, is a higher than average DAT score guaranteeing you an interview past a below average or average GPA? The answer is not known for most schools.

In my opinion, the best schools to apply to would have a low interview rate but a very high accepted rate i.e. Case. Meanwhile VCU seems like a "shot in the dark" only 10% get the interview and out of those 10% only 38% get accetped. those are pretty bad odds. (sorry if im offending dantemac but i still dont understand how he can say otherwise.)

i looked at them and they changed drastically from 2010 to 2011. its no longer the 75% that occurred in 2010, now its 38%. so if you use 2011 as the base year it no longer makes sense to apply there, at least not for me (38% is not good at all.) the 2011 numbers I have are from the official 2011 guide.

i looked at them and they changed drastically from 2010 to 2011. its no longer the 75% that occurred in 2010, now its 38%. so if you use 2011 as the base year it no longer makes sense to apply there, at least not for me (38% is not good at all.) the 2011 numbers I have are from the official 2011 guide.

I agree with you that 38% is not that good, but I think the idea is to get as many interviews as possible so that these percentages (statistically speaking) become increasingly compounded.. then your overall acceptance percentage becomes greater.. but for real.. it would be much nicer to get interviews from schools that accept more than 38% of their interviewees.. no doubt

I agree with you that 38% is not that good, but I think the idea is to get as many interviews as possible so that these percentages (statistically speaking) become increasingly compounded.. then your overall acceptance percentage becomes greater.. but for real.. it would be much nicer to get interviews from schools that accept more than 38% of their interviewees.. no doubt

agreed you're right, just saying that when picking 20+ schools, VCU can probably be overlooked (if its an OOS school)

How is this good? At the Texas schools, you have probably less than a 1% chance of even getting an interview OOS.

For USC, you have less than a 5% chance of interviewing.

..etc.

How is this good? At the Texas schools, you have probably less than a 1% chance of even getting an interview OOS.

For USC, you have less than a 5% chance of interviewing.

..etc.

for tufts and case its great because while i have a 90% chance of being rejected, i know that if I do get the interview im a shoe in. Therefore thats the interview not to miss or mess up on.

Ps. there are no schools that have high % of interviews and % of acceptances. and it makes sense, schools see a small slice of the population and take the majority or they do what VCU does and reject 90% of the applicants and then reject 60% of the interviewees.

Well if you look at some schools like Stony Brook (for OOS applicants), they reject like 95% of applicants and then like 90% of those lucky to get an interview. So basically you have to be cream of the crop.

Am I misinterpreting the stats on USC? It says that 2.01% of OOS applicants were interviewed and 2.01% were accepted. Does this mean that 100% of OOS interviewees were accepted?