Interview trail room splitting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

18gauge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I came to a realization this weekend as I started looking to book hotels for my interviews in December: this crap is going to get expensive fast. All my friends have totally different travel plans, so splitting rooms and cars is pretty much impossible. I'm guessing everyone is in the same boat, so I had an idea - why not see if other people would want to split hotels (or rental cars, etc) and help each other out. My thought was people could post when they'll be somewhere and what they would be willing to share/what they're looking for.

For example:

I'm going to Chattanooga, TN on Nov 23rd. I'd split a hotel room with a guy (sorry ladies, don't think my wife would appreciate that) on the night of the 22nd. I haven't booked a hotel yet if someone else has. I'll have a car if anybody needs a ride to or from the airport, including to Nashville on the 23rd after the interview.

I'll also be in Birmingham on Dec. 3rd. Same story.

Message me if you're interested in working something out.

Feel free to post your own requests. Good luck to everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I came to a realization this weekend as I started looking to book hotels for my interviews in December: this crap is going to get expensive fast. All my friends have totally different travel plans, so splitting rooms and cars is pretty much impossible. I'm guessing everyone is in the same boat, so I had an idea - why not see if other people would want to split hotels (or rental cars, etc) and help each other out. My thought was people could post when they'll be somewhere and what they would be willing to share/what they're looking for.

For example:

I'm going to Chattanooga, TN on Nov 23rd. I'd split a hotel room with a guy (sorry ladies, don't think my wife would appreciate that) on the night of the 22nd. I haven't booked a hotel yet if someone else has. I'll have a car if anybody needs a ride to or from the airport, including to Nashville on the 23rd after the interview.

Your best friend this interview season will be priceline for hotels combined with this website: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

Using the two, and paying close attention to the hotel zones, I stayed at some really nice places pretty inexpensively during my interviews. For example, when I interviewed in Chattanooga, I stayed at the Sheraton Read House for $67.18.

Also, in case no one's ever told you, the "special rate" that many places offer for groups is pretty much never the best rate at that hotel. Frequently you can find a better rate just using cheaptickets or expedia, etc. But for hotels and interviews, priceline is the way to go.

For example:

Agree with Lucid Splash, but my bias is toward hotwire.com. I use betterbidding.com to pretty much know what I'm getting before I commit.

I've always found the hotel room splitting a little bit creepy. It's important that you develop a routine, sleep well, possibly do some interview prep, iron your suit, etc, and that's hard to do with a roomie. Plus, I want to watch the shows that I want, and go to bed at the time that I want, both of which would be uncertain with a roomie.

Overall, it just doesn't save you that much money, and I think it's a bad idea.