What field in surgery has the most room for growth/innovation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biochemnerd123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious/lowkey thinking of a possible future specialty but I know that's many years away.
I heard that fetal/prenatal surgery is really new and a lot of its procedures are still semi-experimental; are there any other fields like that or possible new field coming up?

Members don't see this ad.

Woa, first i've heard of that but i guess it makes sense.

Minimally invasive is definitely a big thing, especially when it comes to cardiothoracic and vascular surgery, the field has matured more or less in general surgery and urology. In terms of fields where breakthroughs might happen, neuroscience is the big thing and surgically neurosurgery.

I'd say the specialty with the most potential would be neurosurgery for breakthroughs.

There definitely are opportunities for breakthrough in transplant surgery, but most would require a breakthrough in basic science first.

Reactions: 1 user
On a percentage basis, psych has the most opportunity for growth. When ultra high res fMRI comes out, they're going to be threading little serotonin releasing neurostims into teeny branches off the basilar artery and its gonna feel like you're busting a nut 24/7, but also being on adderall all the time. Psych's gonna lock that down before neurosurg, 100%. Once neural interfaces bring us into the net Neal Stephenson style, the corps will be sponsoring cash-only psych surgery for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a percentage basis, psych has the most opportunity for growth. When ultra high res fMRI comes out, they're going to be threading little serotonin releasing neurostims into teeny branches off the basilar artery and its gonna feel like you're busting a nut 24/7, but also being on adderall all the time. Psych's gonna lock that down before neurosurg, 100%. Once neural interfaces bring us into the net Neal Stephenson style, the corps will be sponsoring cash-only psych surgery for everyone.
yeah but i mean someones still gotta take out the gallbladders

Reactions: 1 users
yeah but i mean someones still gotta take out the gallbladders

or stop the bleeding, drain the pus, relieve the obstruction, repair the perforation

Reactions: 1 users
I'm biased - but look at cardiothoracic surgery:

Aortic valves - transcatheter stent valves for moderate-to-high risk patients (CoreValve and Sapien)
Mitral valves - some transcatheter stent valves, also MitraClip
Tricuspid valves - transcatheter stent valves (Melody), often for congenital patients

CABG, mitral/tricuspid operations, VSDs - robotics
Maze, pulmonary vein isolation - robotics, VATS

VAD - total artificial heart being developed and down the pike

Lobectomy, segmentectomy, chest wall tumors - robotics, VATS
Esophagectomies, esophageal tumors, mediastinal tumors - robotics, VATS

I think it would be Cardiothoracic, as many traditional procedures are still largely done in most places using 30-40 year old open techniques. Robotic approaches when developed better and popularized will significantly decrease morbidity.