TMDSAS + AMCAS = Is Texas actually a bad state to reside in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oblong

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the last column in this table 5.

https://www.aamc.org/download/159330/data/table5-facts2010slmat3-web.pdf.pdf shows that 56.8% of applicants in Texas do not matriculate into any medical school, which means 43% join some medical school.

Compare this with Arkansas where only 42.7% do not matriculate, which means 58% get to join some medical school.

Clearly, Arkansas is favorable to Texas because you have more people matriculating into medical schools.

Now if only a fraction of Texas applicants fill AMCAS with many filling only TMDSAS, that would mean there are many more applicants in Texas than what is seen in Table 5 above. That should make Texas statistics look even worse, shouldn't it?

Suppose 50% of the students fill only TMDSAS and don't bother with AMCAS. That would mean instead of 43% getting to join a medical school, only half of that or about 21% succeed in matriculating into some medical school.

That should probably make Texas the worst state to reside in?

Members don't see this ad.

As a Texas resident/applicant... I want to say that Texas sucks because of the entirely separate application system, and the fact that I haven't gotten an interview. But the truth is Texas has several medical schools, all of which are very high quality.

With that said, there are TONS of TX applicants applying... so competition is pretty darn high. But TX is a great state to be in for many reasons... medical schools being just one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Iliketoytles in that the application sucks, but that's about the only thing that does.

Not to turn this into a discussion about whose state is best, but when it comes down to it, Texas is really unmatched.

Southern charm, nice people, low cost of living, low tuition rates, decent salaries, plenty of job opportunities, any kind of weather could you want, centralized to the rest of the country for travel purposes...I could go on, but you get the point.

I'll be attending medical school out of state, but don't believe for a second that I won't be high-tailing it back to Texas afterwards.

Let's just stick to the chances of us getting into medical school and leave all other advantages out of the discussion.

Now if only a fraction of Texas applicants fill AMCAS with many filling only TMDSAS, that would mean there are many more applicants in Texas than what is seen in Table 5 above. That should make Texas statistics look even worse, shouldn't it?

No. That chart lists all Texas residents that applied to medical school, not just those who filled out AMCAS (unless you want to believe that 1300 Texas residents matriculated to Baylor).

Out of states with more than 1000 residents applying, Texas has by far the highest % of in-state matriculants (only Ohio is comparable). I think the relatively high % of non-matriculants is due to the aforementioned fact that many Texans do no fill out AMCAS, or only fill out AMCAS for the purpose of applying to Baylor (thus limiting the scope of their application).