Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aphtalyfe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on a clinical campus that has limited access to research opportunities. I will be here for my entire 3rd year. RadOnc and Onco research is unavailable for me to participate in.

What would be a good 3rd line choice for research? Radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with neuronix. Only rad onc research will matter (in spite of what some people think, even having a PhD doesn't necessarily boost your match chances if your PhD research is in a completely unrelated area).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with neuronix that this is probobly the best way to go for you at this point. If you know your interested in rad onc then you should do what your interested in.

I can't agree with Carotenoid on this one though. Im sure there are some institutions that only think rad onc research matters but they are in the minority. What matters is that the research is quality and you clearly understand it and had ownership in it (this is the point where a lot of PhDs get into trouble). Programs are looking for people with potential. Quoting the PD of a top 5 program "having a few publications related to rad onc does not make an applicant any more likely to be a good radiation oncologist. Thats our job. To take people with academic potential and make them leades in the field."

My PhD was in pharm and I am still interested in pharmaceutical development which is only related to rad onc in that cancer treatment is multimodality. Trust me, it never hurt and I am far from alone in this boat. Most med students do their research before they even have a chance to discover rad-onc. PDs know that.

Thank you so much for the helpful replies.

I already plan to take an elective at my home institution's radonc program. During that time I was hoping to get some more research done...

However, my question was more of a "what do I do until then?"

My earliest 4th year rotation is in July of 2012.

If your on core clerkships the answer is that is what you do. Research is more icing on the cake. You need to excell in your clinical years. Remember, your a doctor first and a radiation oncologist second (everyone will say that on interviews). If you have time retrospective studies are good, but thats honestly a big if during most 3rd year rotations. You can always take more time to get research. You only get one shot at core clearkships.

Radiology is a key compnent of the field. I would recommend you do this.