How many of you have taken stimulants? (i.e Adderall)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you ever taken ADHD medications for school purpose?

• Yes

Votes: 58 26.6%
  • No

Votes: 133 61.0%
  • No, but I want to

Votes: 27 12.4%

• Total voters

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Votes shouldn't be public, incase anyone is afraid someone will see it)
Just wanting to know. Found out 1/3 of my orgo chem class took Adderall IR during finals.
Click [yes] if you still take, or have taken stimulants in the past for school purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like if a normal, undiagnosed student has to resort to stimulants to focus, said student isn't putting forth enough effort on a daily basis. Stimulants are intended for students who have a learning disability; abusing them is both morally wrong and unfair to students with a prescription. Think about it: stimulants make an average student above average and a below average student average.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you should clarify in the poll that you want to know how many have taken stimulants for non-medicinal purposes and it was not a prescription

I have ADD, I have a prescription for adderall. I take a low dosage because the aim was to only take enough to help me curve my issues along with other behavioral modifications I implemented, but I still take a low dosage. I know some students abuse adderall for the wrong reasons, I am not ignorant to that. I still find it irritating that some people assume anyone on adderall is at some advantage or taking it as an upper. It does not affect people with ADD like that and all it does is make me "normal". Hell, I can go to sleep while I am taking it.

So yes, I take it for my ADD. I do not take more for finals or anything of that nature. I respect the medication and know the potential for abuse so I don't even test that line.

Poll should include: "Yes, but I have adhd diagnosis"

I wouldn't. I have an addictive personality, and I feel that if I started using Adderall before tests and saw an improvement in my performance, I would never be able to stop. I can just imagine one day not having them before a test after a long stretch of relying on them, and feeling defeated and hopeless. Be careful, folks.

I'll just stick with lots of coffee and energy drinks.

This has never been a topic before. Thank you so much for bringing this topic up. We are all now smarter for having read this revolutionary thread. I award you 1 bazillion points. And may god have mercy on everyone who hasn't read this thread soul.

Racetams anyone?

I knew some making drug "cocktails" for the MCAT. Helped them especially on VR. Other sections too because of comprehension.

Medical school admissions process is a game. One would be a fool not to use every tool available to get in.

Call me a bad immoral person. It is easy to do when you are an undergrad and not yet applying. But when we are in certain situations, opinions can change a lot. If you did not make it this cycle and using amphetamine would have made it, you would be regretting not using it. It is easy to say using it is unethical now, but when you are in the actual situation of jumping through the hoops for another year, then you may think otherwise.

I see what some members here say. They refuse to believe that plenty of pre-meds illegally use Adderall, lie about volunteering, and other things to get ahead. Stimulant abuse happened left and right in college. Ignoring the problem and pretending it does not exist does not make it better. Pretending that these pre-meds will never get in is a fantasy. Lots of classmates used them. It is better to address problem than live in a fairytale of honest pre-meds who never once copied a homework assignment, never used Adderall, and actually want to volunteer. Believe it or not, many of the opposite go to medical school and become doctors.

Creatine has been shown to increase memory and intelligence

Members don't see this ad :)
For recreational purposes a long time ago... Never needed it for school, though. It's not a good road to go down in the medical profession. We had several students in the MD class ahead of us disciplined for that two years ago. Not a good thing to have on your Dean's Letter for residency applications...

Call me a bad immoral person. It is easy to do when you are an undergrad and not yet applying. But when we are in certain situations, opinions can change a lot. If you did not make it this cycle and using amphetamine would have made it, you would be regretting not using it. It is easy to say using it is unethical now, but when you are in the actual situation of jumping through the hoops for another year, then you may think otherwise.
wat

Besides caffeine? Nope.

And let's get controversial:

Doing so is cheating and illegal. Therefore, everyone who does do it is both a cheater and a criminal. Also, if you do, you have no morals and would be a terrible doctor!

say-no-to-drugs-say-yes-to-tacos.jpg

(not srs, but on a more serious note, if you really do need Adderall just to get good grades a decent MCAT score, that really is pretty pathetic.)

This is hypothetical situation. If taking a stimulant helps get a better grade or MCAT score which in turn gets you into medical school, would you still take it? Assume other option is being rejected this cycle and reapplying.

This is hypothetical situation. If taking a stimulant helps get a better grade or MCAT score which in turn gets you into medical school, would you still take it? Assume other option is being rejected this cycle and reapplying.

Who needs drugs to succeed? Get some natural talent here. This like asking "if you needed steroids to achieve an Olympic gold, would you do it?" ...well, obviously some do, but does that mean you should?

Tacos increase my concentration tenfold.

Thought I had ADD in high school so I took some of my friends. Nope. Test scores went down, and all it did was jack me up and make me feel very good. I have to be calm to ace a test, not jacked out of my mind, over-thinking every little thought that comes into my head. It does make you feel good though ;).

And let's get controversial:

Doing so is cheating and illegal. Therefore, everyone who does do it is both a cheater and a criminal. Also, if you do, you have no morals and would be a terrible doctor!
not srs, but on a more serious note, if you really do need Adderall just to get good grades a decent MCAT score, that really is pretty p)

I think we already did that thread. I was enjoying it while it lasted.

edit: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=873388&page=3

Last edited:
You know there are vitamins and natural supplements that can help you focus too? Ginko, DHA, Ginseng...these all can help you focus as well.

Eat a balanced diet. Exercise. Get enough sleep. Then mental clarity and focus will come naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I feel like if a normal, undiagnosed student has to resort to stimulants to focus, said student isn't putting forth enough effort on a daily basis. Stimulants are intended for students who have a learning disability; abusing them is both morally wrong and unfair to students with a prescription. Think about it: stimulants make an average student above average and a below average student average.
:clap:

image.jpeg

I'm so glad I was able to do it first xD. Always wanted to post this

Reactions: 1 users