Mitochondria...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference between the intermembrane space and intercristal space in a mitochodrium?...I thought they were the same but I came across an EK question/answer that said the intercristal space has low H+ concentration. I think it should have a high H+ concentration since I believe it shares the same environment with the intermembrane space.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there is a difference. The inter-membrane space delimits the region bound between the inner- and outer-mitochondrial membranes (hence the name). The intercristal space is also known as the mitochondrial matrix and is bound by the inner-mitochondrial membrane (also known as the cristal membrane).

baffle-and-cristae-models.jpg

This question is weird because the intracristal space is indeed the region of the intermembrane space stretched inward within a crista. The intercristal space on the other hand is between the cristae and is the matrix, as saggy said.

mitochondria.gif

I fail to see a major difference here regarding H+ concentration between #3 and # 5 (except that # 3 is just more inward) . I guess I will have to accept the answer from EK1001.

Members don't see this ad :)
mitochondria.gif

I fail to see a major difference here regarding H+ concentration between #3 and # 5 (except that # 3 is just more inward) . I guess I will have to accept the answer from EK1001.
No no, you are correct. The region within the cristae is the intracristal space, and is continuous with the intermembrane space.

In the OP you referred to the intercristal space, i.e. the area between the cristae (not enclosed by them) and this is the mitochondrial matrix contained by the inner membrane.

No no, you are correct. The region within the cristae is the intracristal space, and is continuous with the intermembrane space.

In the OP you referred to the intercristal space, i.e. the area between the cristae (not enclosed by them) and this is the mitochondrial matrix contained by the inner membrane.
I see your point...I thought # 3 in the pic was intercristal space...

Seems like a typo to me.

InTERcristal space = mito matrix
InTRAcristal space = intermembrane space

So let me get this right....
INTER = INSIDE...
INTRA = IN BETWEEN

It really depends on your definition of inside and in between. Think about inter and intramolecular forces.

Intramolecular = within the molecule. Intermolecular = between multiple molecules.

The intramolecular forces of water molecules are polar covalent (ionic? I don't know, but this isn't the point), while the intermolecular forces of water molecules are hydrogen bonds. To say hydrogen bonds are intramolecular forces is wrong.

So let me get this right....
INTER = INSIDE...
INTRA = IN BETWEEN

Think about it like this:

Intra means within, so intracristal = within the cristae.

Inter means between, so intercristal means between the cristae.

Because the cristae are inward folds of the inner membrane, the intRAcristal space must be the region on the outward side of the inner membrane, i.e. the intermembrane space. Likewise the intercristal space is the region on the inward side of the inner membrane, i.e. the matrix.