2012-2013 Mercer University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

So.... who's with me in this application cycle?? Only a couple of weeks until AMCAS opens up for us.

Can't find Mercer on AMCAS...?

Members don't see this ad :)
After I retake the MCAT hopefully I can apply again this yr!!! My GPA isn't the best though but I was active on campus and the community.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SDN Mobile

After I retake the MCAT hopefully I can apply again this yr!!! My GPA isn't the best though but I was active on campus and the community.

When are you retaking? What did you make on it before? I'm hoping to apply ED, but have to wait for my scores from this weekend's test :scared:

What is Mercer listed under on AMCAS? I can't find it.

When are you retaking? What did you make on it before? I'm hoping to apply ED, but have to wait for my scores from this weekend's test :scared:

Ill probably retake in July, which means I'll miss the ED deadline, and I made a 16 & 14. I dont remember my writing score.

I am applying here. I actually have to retake my MCAT too...didnt reapply last year bc I was working on getting my grades up via grad program

What is Mercer listed under on AMCAS? I can't find it.

Are you a Georgia resident? Mercer only accepts in state, so if you aren't they may not give you the option. It was on the scroll down option when I started filling out my app this weekend.

Just so everyone knows, mercer does NOT look at applications below a 3.00GPA and a 24 MCAT. Only apply EDP if you are true to mission...if you are not true to mission you are not going to get in...then you have a better shot at MCG.

Just so everyone knows, mercer does NOT look at applications below a 3.00GPA and a 24 MCAT. Only apply EDP if you are true to mission...if you are not true to mission you are not going to get in...then you have a better shot at MCG.

How would you say to show them you're for the mission? I mean do they look at your shadowing, like if you've done primary care?

So.... who's with me in this application cycle?? Only a couple of weeks until AMCAS opens up for us.

Hey! I'm trying to decide if I'm doing EDP... are you a re-applier? What made you want to do EDP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm trying to decide if I'm doing EDP... are you a re-applier? What made you want to do EDP?

No this is my first time applying. I am in love with Mercer's mission and problem based learning style, so not only is it my first choice, in all honesty it's my only. I've wanted to go to school there since I was in high school. Why are you considering EDP?

No this is my first time applying. I am in love with Mercer's mission and problem based learning style, so not only is it my first choice, in all honesty it's my only. I've wanted to go to school there since I was in high school. Why are you considering EDP?

Yeah, this is my first time, too! I am definitely up for the PBL style and for the mission, I'm considering it also because I'm from Savannah and there's a campus here! I just don't want to be rejected by putting all my eggs in one basket, so trying to figure out the best way to go about getting in through EDP...heard that they definitely want to see primary care shadowing and commitment to the mission...

Yeah man..just shadow and make your personal statement based around primary care stuff.. i am lucky bc i know one of the ad com guys and he told me i would get in regular or EDP so that's my dilemma. However, i love the mission, small class size, PBL, and their match lists year after year....what's wrong with going to a smaller school where you actually get to know your professors and attendings?! actually, NOTHING at all.. mcg has a 190 kids in augusta...that's tons of kids for me. i want to actually know my classmates so that we can all help ech other out. moreover, mercer is pass/fail not a,b,c,d grading..which really helps.

However, mercer is not easy. 25% of last years class failed the first test...so if you can't hang with the reading do not go to mercer. mercer requires you read a whole textbook in 6 weeks..like 1500 pages usually.

Yeah man..just shadow and make your personal statement based around primary care stuff.. i am lucky bc i know one of the ad com guys and he told me i would get in regular or EDP so that's my dilemma. However, i love the mission, small class size, PBL, and their match lists year after year....what's wrong with going to a smaller school where you actually get to know your professors and attendings?! actually, NOTHING at all.. mcg has a 190 kids in augusta...that's tons of kids for me. i want to actually know my classmates so that we can all help ech other out. moreover, mercer is pass/fail not a,b,c,d grading..which really helps.

However, mercer is not easy. 25% of last years class failed the first test...so if you can't hang with the reading do not go to mercer. mercer requires you read a whole textbook in 6 weeks..like 1500 pages usually.

If you don't mind, would you mind sharing your stats since you would get in either way? I am curious to see how the MCAT plays a role between EDP and regular!

Is whoever doing EDP for Mercer turning your apps in this week so that it gets verified by Aug 1? I wonder if I could wait a week or so to turn it in but not be too late to get it verified by Aug 1.

I applied EDP last year and I'm re-applying EDP this year. The biggest reason is because out of the people that interview for EDP, about 50% get accepted because they fill half of their class with the EDP. I will say the disadvantage I found last year was that if you get interviewed and not accepted, you're not submitting a primary to other schools until the first week in October.

So what do you think is the main reason for not getting accepted during EDP? It's just scary to not get in after...

Hit the submit button on the app today. Let the adventure begin.

So what do you think is the main reason for not getting accepted during EDP? It's just scary to not get in after...
For me, they told me everything was great about my application, but my MCAT was too low. I don't know the main reason people don't get in. I would imagine there's not really any one thing.

I have a question. If you are reapplying, can you use the same references you used before for Mercer?

For me, they told me everything was great about my application, but my MCAT was too low. I don't know the main reason people don't get in. I would imagine there's not really any one thing.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA( both BCMP and overall)?

That's one of the biggest fake rumors you will hear during your first year at Mercer! There's lots of rumors, but that one tops the cake. They tell you that lots of smart people failed the first test, but in reality, the first test is the easiest. The reason they do this is to give you a false sense of confidence after you do great on the first test and you ease up on studying and not study very much for the second test and flunk it.

And the rule at Mercer is, 3 failed test in the same year and you have to repeat the year!

The surprise at the end of the first year is when you discover that everything your big sib told you at the begining of the year was a lie. The last two test of the first year are by far the hardest. So if you have already failed a test, (like that second test you eased up on) Your fate is sealed because the last two test are going to take you out. Which would be your third strike and now your out.

So in reality, if you fail the second test, only 3 months into med school, you have already sealed your fate for failing the entire year.

Don't believe any of this? Just wait! You'll see! And dont believe everything your big sib tells you. I wish I wouldn't have listen to mine. :mad:

If you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA( both BCMP and overall)?
For my application last year it was BCPM-3.53 Overall-3.51. I slacked off in some non-science courses, hence the lower overall GPA.

Application submitted and processed... I feel exactly like I did after taking the MCAT! Haha, nothing to do but sit and wait. Scared. Excited. Kind of helpless lol. Guess I might start writing my secondaries in response to last year's prompts to pass the time and get a head start??

Hey everyone! I am applying to the EDP tomorrow, after I run through my PS one last time. I am worried that I will not be verified by August 1. Will this be an issue? Also, does anyone know if Mercer's EDP is rolling admissions? Thanks!

Hey everyone! I am applying to the EDP tomorrow, after I run through my PS one last time. I am worried that I will not be verified by August 1. Will this be an issue? Also, does anyone know if Mercer's EDP is rolling admissions? Thanks!

I have the same question about verification in time for deadline. Or does deadline mean just submitting to AMCAS?

I'm pretty sure if you are applying EDP they put you in the front of the line for verification. I submitted on 6/19 EDP to MCG and was verified a couple of hours later. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure if you are applying EDP they put you in the front of the line for verification. I submitted on 6/19 EDP to MCG and was verified a couple of hours later. Good luck!

Sweet!!! No month long wait!!! :D

I thought the August 1st deadline meant to submit AMCAS then and not have it verified by Aug 1 because I called them to make sure and that's what they told me...could someone clarify please??

The EDP is not rolling. There is one Ad Com meeting at the end of September, if you do not get in, you are rolled over to the regular admission pool and permitted to apply to other schools. The good thing is that there is an indicator when they look at your file to show you applied ED. So you still stand out as a committed applicant.

Does anybody know for regular admission, when does Mercer send out secondary apps? do they wait for your MCAT score first? Or do they send secondaries out prior to score being released?

thanks!

Your mcat score was 24, and they interviewed you & still was not accepted? That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't they decide to interview someone by "liking" their mcat score and GPA first?

Any EDPers out there received secondaries?! Should I be worried?

I applied Edp and haven't heard back yet. Amcas dispersed primaries yesterday so we should be expecting them soon.

Quick question...where do receive our secondaries?

Applied EDP as well. It looks like from last year thread that secondaries were emailed mid to late July. Apparently Mercer waits for paper copy of the app from AMCAS.

Secondaries were emailed last year, so I assume that's how we'll get them this time.

The EDP is not rolling. There is one Ad Com meeting at the end of September, if you do not get in, you are rolled over to the regular admission pool and permitted to apply to other schools. The good thing is that there is an indicator when they look at your file to show you applied ED. So you still stand out as a committed applicant.

But wouldn't they also meet to discuss who should get interviewed for ED though? On their website, they list data on # of ED applicants, interviewed and accepted.

But wouldn't they also meet to discuss who should get interviewed for ED though? On their website, they list data on # of ED applicants, interviewed and accepted.
I'm not sure how the interview selection process works, but I was just talking about for admissions, since the question had to do with rolling admissions.

Your mcat score was 24, and they interviewed you & still was not accepted? That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't they decide to interview someone by "liking" their mcat score and GPA first?
Yea I was surprised when I had my exit interview and was told my MCAT kept me out. But, it could have been that they liked my MCAT and thought it was good enough, but just liked the other applicants more. (who all probably had higher MCAT scores than me)

Just got the secondary email. According to the MSAR they screen before handing them out so that was a bit sooner than expected.

Got my secondaries today! Holy moly here we go!

Secondary in hand. Now I get to prove I am a resident... visiting the courthouse is always such fun.

I was born and raised in GA but moved to florida in 03. I've just graduated university of Florida and am moving back to GA this summer...I've applied for a GA license and signed a lease already. Do you think Mercer will consider me a GA resident?

I was born and raised in GA but moved to florida in 03. I've just graduated university of Florida and am moving back to GA this summer...I've applied for a GA license and signed a lease already. Do you think Mercer will consider me a GA resident?

Unfortunately, I don't think so. They are really particular about it.

From what you guys said, secondaries were sent out last week. I sent my ED app in last Thursday but haven't received secondary yet. Does it take a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.