2012-2013 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do you prefer to attend the campus you ranked as your first choice (250 character limit)?

Describe the attributes that make you a "good fit" for your first-choice campus (250 character limit).

Provide relatively brief (1000 character maximum) answers to the following questions. Use Notepad or other non-formatting text editors if you would like to copy-paste your answers from drafts prepared elsewhere. If you copy-paste more than a 1000 characters into a text box, you will lose your answer when you click the <Save> button. Required fields are marked with an asterisk.
1. What experiences have led to your decision to become a physician?
2. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.
3. Describe any of your special interests and how you have developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity: the ability to see alternatives; to take diverse perspectives; to develop varied or original ideas; or the willingness to try new things.
4. Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge.
5. Give an example of what you have done to make your community a better place to live.
6. Describe your experiences facing or witnessing discrimination. Tell how you responded and what you learned from these experiences and how they have prepared you for your future in medicine.
7. What special life experiences and/or characteristics would you bring to KU School of Medicine?
8. What do you do for fun?
9. If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?
10. If necessary, update the information contained in your AMCAS application. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation time, additions to your extracurricular activities, or other pertinent information.
11. If there are discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your personal statement, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.
12. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year, in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intention to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program.
13. If you are no longer a full-time undergraduate student, briefly describe your current employment, community, and/or post-graduate educational activities.
14. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, please note any relevant academic experiences that strengthened your candidacy.
15. For Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, please note any relevant employment and personal experiences that strengthened your candidacy.
16. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?
*17. Have you ever been convicted for violation of a regulation or law relating to controlled substances (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.
*18. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony (answer YES or NO)? If yes, provide appropriate explanation(s), including the date(s) of conviction, case number(s), and the jurisdictional court(s) involved.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Submitted my application 6/12. Still waiting to be verified, and still waiting on letter authors to submit their letters.

Applied EDP!

:xf:

I'll be applying here as well! OOS, but my father went there for undergrad, so I'm hoping that gets me some love

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying EDP as well! Verified yesterday. Waiting on secondary!

Good luck all! I'll be checking this thread regularly and posting as necessary.

I lived in Kansas for a little over 1 year as a child. There are still a few family friends out there but I doubt that is engough of a tie to Kansas so I didn't apply. Anyone know of an OOS who was accepted and what type of ties they had to Kansas?
I'm just curious about what counts as strong ties to Kansas?

I lived in Kansas for a little over 1 year as a child. There are still a few family friends out there but I doubt that is engough of a tie to Kansas so I didn't apply. Anyone know of an OOS who was accepted and what type of ties they had to Kansas?
I'm just curious about what counts as strong ties to Kansas?

I'm not sure about any OOS schools. But strong ties would mean growing up and living in Kansas and being able to prove residency in the state of Kansas, which would include attending a Kansas school. I believe KU med is really looking for people that will practice medicine in the state! Hope that helps!

Last edited:
This is for anyone that has applied early decision to KU Med, have you received your secondary application yet? I have not and I know that they received them by July 1st last year and wanted to see if anyone else has received theirs yet?

Please post here when you do! Thanks!

This is for anyone that has applied early decision to KU Med, have you received your secondary application yet? I have not and I know that they received them by July 1st last year and wanted to see if anyone else has received theirs yet?

I haven't received mine yet. When did you submit?

I'm not sure about any OOS schools. But strong ties would mean growing up and living in Kansas and being able to prove residency in the state of Kansas, which would include attending a Kansas school. I believe KU med is really looking for people that will practice medicine in the state! Hope that helps!

Lol wut? 'Strong ties' means non-resident but you attended college there, have extended family there, have a spouse/kids or other immediate family there, etc. If you're a resident the strength of your ties, or lack thereof, is irrelevant.

Lol wut? 'Strong ties' means non-resident but you attended college there, have extended family there, have a spouse/kids or other immediate family there, etc. If you're a resident the strength of your ties, or lack thereof, is irrelevant.

Thats a much better answer, thanks for the clarification!

Mine had the status of "submitted and available to med schools" on 6/18. I'm hoping it comes in this week....

The 1st transmittal of applications was on 6/29. I'm guessing the secondaries will come out about 2 weeks after that, so probably end of this week/early next week?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 1st transmittal of applications was on 6/29. I'm guessing the secondaries will come out about 2 weeks after that, so probably end of this week/early next week?

That sounds reasonable. I will let everyone know when I receive it.

That sounds reasonable. I will let everyone know when I receive it.

I'm getting anxious to receive the secondary also - still haven't yet. Anyone else received theirs? Hoping to see one this week.

I'm getting anxious to receive the secondary also - still haven't yet. Anyone else received theirs? Hoping to see one this week.

Still haven't received mine....I also hope it will be here this week. I'm not sure why they are taking so long.

Still haven't received mine....I also hope it will be here this week. I'm not sure why they are taking so long.

Nothing here either....I'm wondering the same thing! Especially because everyone that submits a primary gets a secondary. I'm 99% sure they don't pre-screen (at least for IS)

Yeah, I just received an email from them with a link to their secondary..... but my AMCAS application still says "Ready for Review" (a.k.a. not verified.) Whats up with this? I'll gladly submit the secondary but I thought they waited until we were verified to send them out?

ok im a CO resident and am applying to KU because they have such a high "happiness" rating among their students. they are 90% instate which is crazy high even for a state school. my basic stats are 30R Mcat and 3.71 science and core GPA. is it worth spending the money completing this secondary. its pretty intensive. any help or advice would be great. thanks!

Anyone else having trouble logging in to the system? I keep getting an error

Yup! Got my email about an hour ago! Let's get this show on the road! :)

Got mine this morning also!!

Quick question - how many letters did everyone submit? I submitted 3 from my strongest authors, but reading over the e-mail sent out this morning, I see that KU recommends sending the maximum of 5. Should I try to find 2 more authors to fulfill this recommendation - if I did that, wouldn't I have to resubmit/recertify - and would that set me back in the queue of applicants somehow?

Thanks in advance for and insight!

Yeah me too! I got the email and logged on briefly earlier today.... but now it won't let me. Wtf?

I haven't had any trouble. I'm not sure? I hope it doesn't give me trouble later.

Got mine this morning also!!

Quick question - how many letters did everyone submit? I submitted 3 from my strongest authors, but reading over the e-mail sent out this morning, I see that KU recommends sending the maximum of 5. Should I try to find 2 more authors to fulfill this recommendation - if I did that, wouldn't I have to resubmit/recertify - and would that set me back in the queue of applicants somehow?

Thanks in advance for and insight!

I would say at least try to get one more. I wouldn't try to get more at the risk of getting average ones though. You would have to resubmit after adding the letters, but according to the AMCAS FAQ, this should not cause any processing delays. Hope that helps you!

I have the opposite problem right now! When I went to the Open House they had earlier this year Dean McCurdy said to have SIX LORs!! So I assigned 6 in AMCAS and have already requested all of them from my letter writers. Now the secondary says the max is 5. I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to be a pain and call just to say, "But Dean McCurdy said I was supposed to have 6! whine whine whine!"

I would say at least try to get one more. I wouldn't try to get more at the risk of getting average ones though. You would have to resubmit after adding the letters, but according to the AMCAS FAQ, this should not cause any processing delays. Hope that helps you!

I have the opposite problem right now! When I went to the Open House they had earlier this year Dean McCurdy said to have SIX LORs!! So I assigned 6 in AMCAS and have already requested all of them from my letter writers. Now the secondary says the max is 5. I'm not sure what to do. I don't really want to be a pain and call just to say, "But Dean McCurdy said I was supposed to have 6! whine whine whine!"

Okay, two additional letter requests sent. Thanks for the push I needed to do that. Also - for your predicament, would it be best to just choose your weakest letter to delete from the application and inform your author of what happened?

Okay, two additional letter requests sent. Thanks for the push I needed to do that. Also - for your predicament, would it be best to just choose your weakest letter to delete from the application and inform your author of what happened?

Yes, thats exactly what I want to do... But I'm not sure which one would be my weakest since I don't get to see them. :-(

Hmmmmm... Are you guys responding to all of these questions. There. Are. A. Ton.

Hmmmmm... Are you guys responding to all of these questions. There. Are. A. Ton.

I tackled about half of them today. I need to sit on a few of them and think up some good answers. There are a lot of questions though.....

I tackled about half of them today. I need to sit on a few of them and think up some good answers. There are a lot of questions though.....

Probably wise to respond to all. Just makes it that much worse when the only two required answers are yes/no.

Anybody else having trouble submitting the essay questions. It keeps saying to limit my response to 1000 characters, but I've checked and they're all under that. Maybe bc I'm using Word?

Anybody else having trouble submitting the essay questions. It keeps saying to limit my response to 1000 characters, but I've checked and they're all under that. Maybe bc I'm using Word?

Make sure you're counting characters and not words? Otherwise, make sure spaces and such are included in the count? There are several free character counters online that are just cut and paste to use, maybe try one of those to rule out a potential Word issue.

ok im a CO resident and am applying to KU because they have such a high "happiness" rating among their students. they are 90% instate which is crazy high even for a state school. my basic stats are 30R Mcat and 3.71 science and core GPA. is it worth spending the money completing this secondary. its pretty intensive. any help or advice would be great. thanks!
This year class that just started (2016 class) has around 87% in state...you have a chance...just try to stand out.

Okay, I'm worried this is a stupid question.. but.. Are EDP applicants given the opportunity to be considered for the MD/PhD program at any point, or is that selection process kept completely separate?

Anyone familiar with how much the Wichita campus is expanding year by year? And how many people in-state usually apply to KU?

Secondary's finalized. Took me a lot longer than I'd anticipated, but it's in. And now, we wait ...

Last edited:
Hi, guys.

For those of you who are in-state, what does it say under the 'Description' column next to the 'Application Fee Recieved' in you main SOM page?

Please share as this may help me determine whether or not they are considering me in-state.

P.S. is there any way to know for sure whether my application is marked instate or OOS?

Thank you all in advance!

Hi, guys.

For those of you who are in-state, what does it say under the 'Description' column next to the 'Application Fee Recieved' in you main SOM page?

Please share as this may help me determine whether or not they are considering me in-state.

P.S. is there any way to know for sure whether my application is marked instate or OOS?

Thank you all in advance!

I don't have the "Application Fee Received" row at all.

I don't have the "Application Fee Received" row at all.

Neither do I...

Did everyone remember to send in their LOR waiver?? Do you have a line for that on the MEDS homepage? I got an email saying they received it, but it never showed up on the application website.

Neither do I...

Did everyone remember to send in their LOR waiver?? Do you have a line for that on the MEDS homepage? I got an email saying they received it, but it never showed up on the application website.

I had an LOR waiver completed for my pre-med committee and attached to my composite letter.... does this take the place of their waiver? Do you think we have to sign that as well?

Anyone familiar with how much the Wichita campus is expanding year by year? And how many people in-state usually apply to KU?

I heard they added about 25 spots to Wichita last year. According to MSAR, 423 in-state applicants and 354 were interviewed. The interview invitations don't seem to be too selective.

I had an LOR waiver completed for my pre-med committee and attached to my composite letter.... does this take the place of their waiver? Do you think we have to sign that as well?

I'm not sure...did they send it in with your letter? If so, then it may count. Here is the what the supplemental application email said:
The attached “Instructions for Letter Authors” form includes information for your evaluators. One form should be printed, completed, and given to each of your letter writers. The letter writer should retain the form rather than submit it with the letter. The attached “Waiver of Access” form does need to be completed by you and returned to us. If your school has a waiver of access form, it is permissible to use that form. Additional information about our letters requirements is available at http://www.kumc.edu/som/application.html .

I am a non-trad OOS from Maryland. I turned in my primary on July 30th, and still have yet to be verified. I was hoping someone could help me out with posting the questions so that I could pre-write the essays. I understand there are many questions to be answered.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can someone post the secondary questions pleaseeeee? I cant find them :/

I forgot to send in my waiver until today. Any idea if this will disqualify me from EDP? :(

update:

I did find a post from last year saying that the waiver is not necessary if all letters have been submitted through AMCAS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.