2012-2013 University of Mississippi Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I am, originally, from FL and I have recently switched my residency to Mississippi. At this time, would I comply with guidelines of UMC and be eligible to complete the primary application? I moved to MS and began attending MC in January. This month, License, car registration. Voters registration and car insurance (except insurance changed in Feb) has been changed to MS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! :)

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/registrar/resinfo.html

This appears to apply to all schools under the UM moniker, which includes UMC. Therefore, I am afraid 12 months is the magic number. It is not clear, however; the bottom of the linked page goes to a residency application where you can find it for sure. You could also call the office of the registrar if the actual UMC admissions office isn't helpful. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not too much movement in this thread. I'm applying this year.

AMCAS verified, received secondary today, and submitted it with fee. Have to request official transcripts to send to their Registrar's Office.

What did the secondaries look like

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SDN Mobile

They send you a link and you go online and feel in biographical information and answer a few questions. Completely simple and can be done in less than 10 minutes.

nothing yet. I submitted later however so I ha.ven't completed secondaries either. I feel certain that people will start hearing stuff quite possibly towards the end of Sept or early Oct at the latest.

I received a complete e-mail today. Someone I know has an interview next month (RDP) and someone I know was just accepted (I take it EDP).

I have an interview next week. I can tell you guys about it if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm complete and waiting on an invitation. The waiting game is about to drive me up the wall. When did you get the invite mcarrick?

Hey, I have an interview with UMC next week.

- Submitted 2ndary in mid-August

- Invited for interview in late-August

Praise the Lord! :)

Goodluck to y'all!

according to the school's fb, they can't notify applicants of an acceptance until october 16 bc of aamc "traffic rules." sucks for people with early interviews.

I heard this morning that admissions is a little behind and RDP interview began last week. Nice to know since I was complete 8/29 and haven't heard from them since.

I haven't heard anything from them since my completion status on 7/16.

First Student Doctor Network Post!

Hey guys, my application for UMMC was completed by early August and I had my interview 9/27. Now I'm just anxiously waiting for the decision to be sent out. Dr. Davis in the admissions office said that they send out the first set of acceptances at 12:01 a.m. on October 16th.

The interview process is not stressful. The entire admissions office goes out of their way to make you feel at home. If I could do it again I would just try to relax more (I was really nervous).

Best of luck to all of y'all!!!

Thanks for the info. I wish everyone all the best this cycle. Hopefully we will be part of the Class of 2017.

Hey Guys,

I'm on pins and needles until I hear from UMMC on 10/16 and not overly happy about the wait. I asked one of the professors on my dissertation committee, who used to be a med school admissions officer, why the "embargo" exists.

He said that AMCAS doesn't want people to be accepted by one school and then not apply to others, and so no school can accept RDP applicants until after the submission deadline. So the submission deadline is Oct. 15 and no acceptances are given until the next day.

Apparently the head of UMMC admissions, Dr. Case, makes it an event where he stays at the office until 12:01 a.m. on 10/16 to send out the e-mails the minute its allowed.

Anyway, knowing the reason for the wait made me feel a little better so I wanted to pass it along.

Hang in there everyone!! We will make it!!

Hey Guys,

I'm on pins and needles until I hear from UMMC on 10/16 and not overly happy about the wait. I asked one of the professors on my dissertation committee, who used to be a med school admissions officer, why the "embargo" exists.

He said that AMCAS doesn't want people to be accepted by one school and then not apply to others, and so no school can accept RDP applicants until after the submission deadline. So the submission deadline is Oct. 15 and no acceptances are given until the next day.

Apparently the head of UMMC admissions, Dr. Case, makes it an event where he stays at the office until 12:01 a.m. on 10/16 to send out the e-mails the minute its allowed.

Anyway, knowing the reason for the wait made me feel a little better so I wanted to pass it along.

Hang in there everyone!! We will make it!!
thanks for the insight! i think the waiting is killing all of us. good luck!

Has anyone else heard from UMMC about scheduling interviews?

I waited 4 weeks and then e-mailed the admissions office to ask. They were very apologetic and said that my file and been misplaced for some reason and that they had meant to call me much sooner. They called and asked me right away when I wanted to interview.

If anyone else hasn't heard anything after 3-4 weeks it might be worth an e-mail to ask.

Has anyone else heard from UMMC about scheduling interviews?

I waited 4 weeks and then e-mailed the admissions office to ask. They were very apologetic and said that my file and been misplaced for some reason and that they had meant to call me much sooner. They called and asked me right away when I wanted to interview.

If anyone else hasn't heard anything after 3-4 weeks it might be worth an e-mail to ask.

I haven't heard anything since my complete e-mail about a month ago, but my stats aren't anything to celebrate about. Who do we e-mail? The general e-mail address? I have Dr. Davis's business card from our preapp counseling. Also, did they mention when they stop interviewing? Thanks.

I found the link. Nevermind.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything since my complete e-mail about a month ago, but my stats aren't anything to celebrate about. Who do we e-mail? The general e-mail address? I have Dr. Davis's business card from our preapp counseling. Also, did they mention when they stop interviewing? Thanks.

I emailed one of the student admissions officers yesterday but I've yet to hear anything back. I'm not really impressed with the admissions department so far.

I emailed one of the student admissions officers yesterday but I've yet to hear anything back. I'm not really impressed with the admissions department so far.

I e-mailed this morning. I hope I hear something next week. This wait is insane! I realized this morning that the deadline for the primary is next Monday. I still need to submit an application to WCUCOM. I see that you applied to Tulane on my MDapps. I was considering them, but figured I would not get looked at because of my score. The PS section really killed me on that August 4th test.

I e-mailed this morning. I hope I hear something next week. This wait is insane! I realized this morning that the deadline for the primary is next Monday. I still need to submit an application to WCUCOM. I see that you applied to Tulane on my MDapps. I was considering them, but figured I would not get looked at because of my score. The PS section really killed me on that August 4th test.

I'm only applying to Tulane because my parents wanted me to. I reallyyyyyy don't expect to hear a word from them but wth. Definitely complete the app for wcu. My interview there was Wednesday and I was really impressed. PS killed me as well (July 26) but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm only applying to Tulane because my parents wanted me to. I reallyyyyyy don't expect to hear a word from them but wth. Definitely complete the app for wcu. My interview there was Wednesday and I was really impressed. PS killed me as well (July 26) but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Yeah the calculation-heaviness definitely killed me because I scored less than my minimum PS. I will take Princeton review in late Jan/early Feb. for retake in April as a Plan B.

My AACOMAS recently got verified and I am being hit with applications now. I am still trying to write one more MD secondary before I add a few more schools and tackle the DOs. I feel burnt out at the moment. My hands are definitely full. I hear you about the reach schools because I definitely have a lot of them. At least we try and there is no harm in that.

COME ON UMC SHOW US SOME LOVE!!

I feel you guys! The June 12th MCAT PS was awful! After I got through the first passage I pretty much just gave up. Definitely ran out of time on all three sections.

Aspiringdoc09 - I'm surprised that you didn't hear back from the admissions office the same day! Then again you e-mailed on Friday and I know that their admissions committee meets every tuesday and friday so maybe they were busy with that? I've e-mailed them maybe three times and always heard back same day. Did you e-mail Kim Dallas in the admissions office?

MOE2BMD - when did you finish your masters? I'm in the Ph.D program at UMMC, maybe we had classes together? I'm in my 4th year.

I finished in May of this year. I started in 2010. Had a ton of fun and learned more in 2 years that all 4 years of ugrad.

I know what you mean! I learned more in just my masters classes than I did in undergrad.

We didn't have any classes together then. I finished my coursework two years ago, been a lab rat ever since ;-)

Back to general admissions. I know I sound like a broken record but this waiting sucks....

I feel you guys! The June 12th MCAT PS was awful! After I got through the first passage I pretty much just gave up. Definitely ran out of time on all three sections.

Aspiringdoc09 - I'm surprised that you didn't hear back from the admissions office the same day! Then again you e-mailed on Friday and I know that their admissions committee meets every tuesday and friday so maybe they were busy with that? I've e-mailed them maybe three times and always heard back same day. Did you e-mail Kim Dallas in the admissions office?

MOE2BMD - when did you finish your masters? I'm in the Ph.D program at UMMC, maybe we had classes together? I'm in my 4th year.

I e-mailed the admissions e-mail off the website. Usually Dr. Case or Dr. Davis answers it. I should have e-mailed Kim now that I think about it, but the webpage said we can e-mail for status updates.

I decided to email Dr. Davis this time. I also have her card from preapp counseling. Hopefully with it being Monday morning we'll get a reply from someone.

Dr. Case replied a few minutes ago and told me that they are still screening individuals for interviews. He also stated I was complete and to be patient.

Dr. Case replied a few minutes ago and told me that they are still screening individuals for interviews. He also stated I was complete and to be patient.

That's great news! I'm glad they got back to you! Keep us posted, I really hope you get your interview and acceptance letter soon!

Haha easy for him to tell us to be patient. Hopefully we'll hear shortly. I'd like to hear from them before I hear back from WCU on November 1.

That's great news! I'm glad they got back to you! Keep us posted, I really hope you get your interview and acceptance letter soon!

What discipline are you getting your Ph.D. in btw? What made you get your doctorate before medical school and not complete a MD/PhD program?

Haha easy for him to tell us to be patient. Hopefully we'll hear shortly. I'd like to hear from them before I hear back from WCU on November 1.

Yeah, I hear you. We're ahead of the game, so we will probably start hearing something soon. I rather get a quick rejection than hold out for something that won't happen. At least WCU has a quick turnaround for you.

What discipline are you getting your Ph.D. in btw? What made you get your doctorate before medical school and not complete a MD/PhD program?

That is a great question and came up during my interview. Basically I had no idea what I wanted to do during undergrad and so I partied a lot (and had the grades to prove it ;-) .

At the end of college I started working in a cancer research lab and fell in love with it. That's where I figured out that I wanted to pursue an M.D./Ph.D degree. I scheduled an admissions counseling session and Dr. Davis told me that with my undergrad grades I was not competitive for the combined program. So I pursued the Ph.D first and am now going for the M.D. Hopefully it will all work out.

But I am getting my Ph.D. in Biochemistry with an emphasis in Biophysics.

That's cool. I actually majored in biochemistry and completed about 3 years part-time research. I had a love/hate relationship with research over the years. During my 5th year in college, I started working in a biophysical biochem lab using fluorimetry to determine amyloid aggregation kinetics for the Alzheimer protein. My true research interests lie in neurodegenerative diseases and psych illnesses, so if I can continue with that, then I will be groovy. I knew I would never have the stats for MD/PhD or MSTP programs, and I determined that I would not be happy with a career focused 80% on research and 20% patients, but the opposite will be ok. Therefore, I am focusing on applying to a lot of research-heavy institutions and applying to MD/MS programs and whatnot. That's my life story in a nutshell, lol.

Last edited:
That's cool. I actually majored in biochemistry and completed about 3 years part-time research. I had a love/hate relationship with research over the years. During my 5th year in college, I started working in a biophysical biochem lab using fluorimetry to determine amyloid aggregation kinetics for the Alzheimer protein. My true research interests lie in neurodegenerative diseases and psych illnesses, so if I can continue with that, then I will be groovy. I knew I would never have the stats for MD/PhD or MSTP programs, and I determined that I would not be happy with a career focused 80% on research and 20% patients, but the opposite will be ok. Therefore, I am focusing on applying to a lot of research-heavy institutions applying to MD/MS programs and whatnot. That's my life story in a nutshell, lol.

That sounds awesome! I did my graduate seminar at MC on Alzheimer's. I'm pretty fascinated by the pathophys, etc. Sounds like yall have some great research experience that they'll be interested in.

I was ACCEPTED!! Just got the e-mail 10 minutes ago!!! So excited!!

I was ACCEPTED!! Just got the e-mail 10 minutes ago!!! So excited!!

Big Congratulations! You deserve it! At least you can take it easy for the rest of the cycle. So jealous! Psych!

They send late e-mails I see.

Last edited:
When I called to set it up, they had already had my date and time selected. November 13 group 2.

I called and was told the same time. Hope to see you then!

Last edited:
Dr. Case told me that UMC interviewed 222 and accepted 135 in last year's cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.