2012-2013 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optional essay:

It is the Admissions Committee's goal that the supplemental information we receive in this secondary application is to gain additional insight into the applicant as a unique individual. What additional information, if any, do you wish to provide the Admissions Committee that may be important in the evaluation of your application to medical school? You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant.

For example, many applicants have encountered various challenges in their backgrounds (e.g., coming from a low-income family, having to work many hours while going to college, experiencing educational disadvantages in the pre-college years, following an unusually difficult course of study, changes in schools, time away from school, etc.). The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when assessing performance. You are invited (not required) to provide this additional information. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As a Wisconsin resident and local of Madison, UW will probably be my most favored choice overall. One of the few schools I'm excited to start the application for.

Reapplying here this year. Hopefully taking anat/phys courses in undergrad, applying earlier, and picking up a few extracurriculars can help make up for my lack of volunteering/shadowing experience..

Anyone have experience with the MD/PhD program? My anat/phys professor recommended I apply for it after she helped me rewrite my personal essay. I'm interested in the program, but I'd like to here some others' perspectives. Additionally, would being rejected from the program affect my chances of getting accepted by the regular MD program in any way?

Reapplying here this year. Hopefully taking anat/phys courses in undergrad, applying earlier, and picking up a few extracurriculars can help make up for my lack of volunteering/shadowing experience..

Anyone have experience with the MD/PhD program? My anat/phys professor recommended I apply for it after she helped me rewrite my personal essay. I'm interested in the program, but I'd like to here some others' perspectives. Additionally, would being rejected from the program affect my chances of getting accepted by the regular MD program in any way?

No reapplying is NOT looked down upon. If anything re-applicants tend to do better than the general population, from what I've gathered.

No reapplying is NOT looked down upon. If anything re-applicants tend to do better than the general population, from what I've gathered.
Cool. I have a follow-up question about reapplying: on the site, they say that they recommend that reapplicants submit 2 new letters with their application. Does anyone know why they recommend this? And would that hurt me at all if I can't secure 2? I've got 1 for sure and I'm waiting to hear back from a hospitalist that I shadowed as to whether or not he can write my second.

Cool. I have a follow-up question about reapplying: on the site, they say that they recommend that reapplicants submit 2 new letters with their application. Does anyone know why they recommend this? And would that hurt me at all if I can't secure 2? I've got 1 for sure and I'm waiting to hear back from a hospitalist that I shadowed as to whether or not he can write my second.
Reapplican here too! I assume its because they want to see you've done something new since the last cycle and have validation of it from someone who either taught or supervised you. They don't want you to submit the same app all over again

I was waitlisted this year and was told that being a little too reserved in my interview was a lot of the problem. NOT THIS YEAR!! I AM READY MADISON!

I completely forgot to call them and find out why I was waitlisted last year.. I just assumed it was a combination of my subpar ECs and my late application (I didn't submit my AMCAS until late August/September).

I thought it would be something about making sure you're still doing things. I can't really see them holding it against you if you don't have the recommended new ones though since they don't retain copies of letters from year to year. They accept up to 6 letters, right? I think someone mentioned that in last year's thread.

I completely forgot to call them and find out why I was waitlisted last year.. I just assumed it was a combination of my subpar ECs and my late application (I didn't submit my AMCAS until late August/September).

I thought it would be something about making sure you're still doing things. I can't really see them holding it against you if you don't have the recommended new ones though since they don't retain copies of letters from year to year. They accept up to 6 letters, right? I think someone mentioned that in last year's thread.
Yep but I think they'll know if its a new letter based on the date and which activity or class the letter writer discusses. But I doubt its a deal breaker if you don't have it

Yep but I think they'll know if its a new letter based on the date and which activity or class the letter writer discusses. But I doubt its a deal breaker if you don't have it
Oh well, I decided to call up the woman who oversaw my work as a tutor at my undergrad uni and she's going to write me a letter, so I think I'll be fine.

Now I just need to figure out if I want to send them all 6 letters or try trimming it down to 4. I don't really want any of the letters that people wrote for me to go to waste, but I'm only applying to UW and MCW this year since I didn't qualify for FAP and can't afford to send too many applications out of pocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh well, I decided to call up the woman who oversaw my work as a tutor at my undergrad uni and she's going to write me a letter, so I think I'll be fine.

Now I just need to figure out if I want to send them all 6 letters or try trimming it down to 4. I don't really want any of the letters that people wrote for me to go to waste, but I'm only applying to UW and MCW this year since I didn't qualify for FAP and can't afford to send too many applications out of pocket.
good deal. did you apply to MCW last year? I'm on the WL there right now, but still in the 2nd quartile so I'm not holding my breath for that one :/ I'm trying to trim down my list of schools, as confident as I'd like to be about UW who knows right?? this process feels like a mystery!

good deal. did you apply to MCW last year? I'm on the WL there right now, but still in the 2nd quartile so I'm not holding my breath for that one :/ I'm trying to trim down my list of schools, as confident as I'd like to be about UW who knows right?? this process feels like a mystery!
I did, but for some reason it took them ~3 months to verify that I was a WI resident so I didn't get an interview offer until either late December or early January and I just couldn't fit it into my schedule. Hoping the process goes a bit more smoothly for me this year!

And yeah, I'm really hoping for UW as well. I know my MCAT/GPA weren't the problem, so it was either my ECs or my interview that really held me back last year. Trying to fix as much of that as possible but medical volunteering positions seem to be few and far between where I'm from. :(

Another dream school. I'm from the south but love and appreciate the midwest culture of hard work ethic. I know Wisconsin is a great medical school to get an education from too. I hope my mcat score is competitive enough for me to have a shot here (find out in 2 weeks)

Just popping in! :D Anyone know more about secondaries? Cost, essay, when they usually send them out?

Just popping in! :D Anyone know more about secondaries? Cost, essay, when they usually send them out?

Last cycle the secondary had only one optional essay. I can't remember when it opened but they did not allow us to submit it until something like August 20th.

cost last year was about $56. and what was said above about not being able to submit until August 20th. there's also a reapplicant essay if i remember correctly, basically a "what have you improved since the last time you applied" sort of thing

Last edited:
Last cycle the secondary had only one optional essay. I can't remember when it opened but they did not allow us to submit it until something like August 20th.

That's strange. Why would they send them out before then if they aren't going to let you submit them? :confused: Seems a little silly to me... I guess at least it gives you time to write the essay without worrying about getting it in right away.

Foolish question. Deleted.

Last edited:
I just realized UW has statistics listed as a requirement. I didn't notice this before :( I didn't take stats, but took two semesters of calculus. Will they just throw out my application?

Hi everyone,

I'll try to check on this thread every once in awhile, let me know if you have any questions about the school etc. Good luck!

I just realized UW has statistics listed as a requirement. I didn't notice this before :( I didn't take stats, but took two semesters of calculus. Will they just throw out my application?

If you haven't already submitted, you can declare statistics as an intended future course. Of course you'll have to back that up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

If you haven't already submitted, you can declare statistics as an intended future course. Of course you'll have to back that up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I already sent it. I am an idiot. :( Would it be a smart idea to email them and tell them that I will take statistics as a future course?

I already sent it. I am an idiot. :( Would it be a smart idea to email them and tell them that I will take statistics as a future course?

Not really sure, I'm applying now myself :( I'm sure it can't hurt though! You may also be able to mention it in your optional secondary essay, but I'd ask around before doing that.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Just got 2ndary 10 minutes ago

buuuuuut it's not working....haha

Just got 2ndary 10 minutes ago
well it doesn't really matter since we can't submit till August 20th anyway. I'm not even gonna look at this one until the others are finished

Wait you guys got the actual 2ndary? I got an e-mail saying that they received my amcas app and will send the 2ndary after they verify my #'s are above the minimum. Where did you get the word about august 20th?

Wait you guys got the actual 2ndary? I got an e-mail saying that they received my amcas app and will send the 2ndary after they verify my #'s are above the minimum. Where did you get the word about august 20th?
Last year the first date you could actually submit the secondary (8/20/2011) was provided in the e-mail inviting an applicant to complete the secondary.

no I haven't' gotten it yet I was just going by last year's August 20th submission date. assuming they won't change that for this year..

no I haven't' gotten it yet I was just going by last year's August 20th submission date. assuming they won't change that for this year..
I hope they don't change it; I think that's a good system. It forces people to wait a little bit so they don't rush through and submit a poor application just to get it in early.

I hope they don't change it; I think that's a good system. It forces people to wait a little bit so they don't rush through and submit a poor application just to get it in early.
agreed. it also saves us reapplicants who are sitting on wait lists a little money in the event that we got accepted at the last minute (fingers crossed)

worth applying here OOS?
Define "worth applying"? Is it only worth it if you get in? There are a few OOS students that got in this past year, including myself, so it is possible. When in doubt, give it a shot. I almost didn't apply to Wisconsin and ended up choosing this school over OHSU.

How much does the secondary cost this year?

How much does the secondary cost this year?

The fee is $56. When are we supposed to submit the secondary? I know the absolute earliest date was August 20 last year, but that was last year. There is no mention of an earliest submission date in the invitation email I received from them yesterday. It says in the secondary app instructions:

"We encourage applicants to consider date of submission carefully since a submission date before September may not allow for inclusion of all summer activities and experiences, grades, etc. Applicants are not allowed to add information to the secondary application once it has been submitted."
....making it sound like you should wait till ~Sep 1

"Preliminary review of applications and subsequent interview invitations are based upon date of submission of the secondary application."
...making it sound like you should get the app asap

I don't anticipate having any new activities to share come September, so I'm confused. Does this school use rolling admissions? Thx

Strange, maybe they're not doing the august 20th thing this year. Was that email after you got screened through? Yes it's rolling admissions here. If you're OOS it's probably in your best interest to submit asap, in staters have a little less urgency, tho early submission is still important

The fee is $56. When are we supposed to submit the secondary? I know the absolute earliest date was August 20 last year, but that was last year. There is no mention of an earliest submission date in the invitation email I received from them yesterday. It says in the secondary app instructions:

"We encourage applicants to consider date of submission carefully since a submission date before September may not allow for inclusion of all summer activities and experiences, grades, etc. Applicants are not allowed to add information to the secondary application once it has been submitted."
....making it sound like you should wait till ~Sep 1

"Preliminary review of applications and subsequent interview invitations are based upon date of submission of the secondary application."
...making it sound like you should get the app asap

I don't anticipate having any new activities to share come September, so I'm confused. Does this school use rolling admissions? Thx

I received an email for the MSTP secondary and it said the earliest we could submit was August 20. Not sure about MD only though.

So I got the email basically saying they screen for 8/7/7 and a 2.8GPA on June 29. I am definitly above those statistics, but haven't gotten my secondary yet.

How soon after that email did you guys get your secondaires? Is it too soon to call?

So I got the email basically saying they screen for 8/7/7 and a 2.8GPA on June 29. I am definitly above those statistics, but haven't gotten my secondary yet.

How soon after that email did you guys get your secondaires? Is it too soon to call?

Got that on the 5th and still no secondary :(

Give it time. I don't think anyone has gotten one yet. From browsing last year's thread, UW seems to have a more drawn out process anyway.

Give it time. I don't think anyone has gotten one yet. From browsing last year's thread, UW seems to have a more drawn out process anyway.

I got it today and submitted. They don't have the August 20th thing this year.

I got it today and submitted. They don't have the August 20th thing this year.

Ah, nevermind then. I'm glad they changed it. I'm hoping to get some in-state lovin, so I could use every small advantage I can get.

Yup, got me a secondary today... But I don't expect much love from Wisconsin, seeing as I'm from the Land of 10,000 Lakes...

Does anyone know how one should fill out the experiences section? I read the FAQ and it says that some repetition is expected, but is it OK if I just copy and paste my descriptions from my AMCAS to UW's secondary? Or should I just paraphrase briefly?

Does anyone know how one should fill out the experiences section? I read the FAQ and it says that some repetition is expected, but is it OK if I just copy and paste my descriptions from my AMCAS to UW's secondary? Or should I just paraphrase briefly?

I cut and pasted from my TMDSAS since that was written in similar form (had to group stuff on AMCAS and therefore shorten some descriptions). For current activities, I added a little about why I liked them. Otherwise just left it the same.

I got the impression from their FAQs that it was more for their adcomm to see it in a preferred format than to glean new info.

Status
Not open for further replies.