Is it worth the money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefloats7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm just looking for some advice on my decision. I got accepted into two programs that are my top choices. And while I am not complaining and feel so lucky, I am having a tougher time than I anticipated deciding seeing as I was surprised to get into both.

The first school is UAB which is in state for me and ranked around the top 20. It will be about 70K plus living for three years and is where I have wanted to go for a long time.

The second school is Emory. It is very highly ranked and the program seems extremely prestigious. However, it is over 100K plus living for three years.

So, my question is: Is Emory worth the money being so highly ranked or would I be just as good at UAB? Especially because I would like to practice across the country. Would having a degree from Emory help me anymore in finding a job across the nation because it is more recognizable?

I appreciate any input! I'm leaning toward UAB because I could leave school debt free. I just wanted to hear some opinions that could help me solidify my position.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm just looking for some advice on my decision. I got accepted into two programs that are my top choices. And while I am not complaining and feel so lucky, I am having a tougher time than I anticipated deciding seeing as I was surprised to get into both.

The first school is UAB which is in state for me and ranked around the top 20. It will be about 70K plus living for three years and is where I have wanted to go for a long time.

The second school is Emory. It is very highly ranked and the program seems extremely prestigious. However, it is over 100K plus living for three years.

So, my question is: Is Emory worth the money being so highly ranked or would I be just as good at UAB? Especially because I would like to practice across the country. Would having a degree from Emory help me anymore in finding a job across the nation because it is more recognizable?

I appreciate any input! I'm leaning toward UAB because I could leave school debt free. I just wanted to hear some opinions that could help me solidify my position.

Thanks!

I am actually in the exact same boat. I'm deciding between my hometown UCF and Emory. Ranking isn't my main concern though. I just felt so comfortable at Emory and loved everyone I met. The current students were very friendly, the faculty incredible, and I really liked all the students in my interview group. I'm also into research and Emory definitely gives the best opportunity for that.

I also feel like it would be good for me to go out to a big city like Atlanta just for the experience. I really would hate to end up spending my whole life in my hometown area just because it's convenient.

Anyway, I'm sure you could get a job anywhere and do anything you set out to by going to UAB. But I would just encourage you to pick wherever you felt most comfortable. For me it’s just the experience that I think I'll have at Emory that's making me lean more that way. It’ll be hard to swallow that price tag but I’m starting to see it as a life experience that I’ll be glad I took.

After-all, the best path is the hardest earned.

As many people have said, and will say, it really does not matter where you go to school as long as you pass the test. That being said, there are good and bad students from top-notch ranked school and lesser known schools. Always take the option that requires less debt as long as the pass rate is over 95% for the cheaper school.

If that doesn't help-- list out pros and cons-- that's definitely what helped me decide between Pitt and Chatham.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely choose the cheaper school. It's ranked high enough. There is no reason a PT school should cost 100k! And when it's all said and done you still have a DPT degree and it should not matter to an employer unless its stiff competition finding a job as a PT which I highly doubt will happen anytime soon. :)

Thanks so much for the responses! I am thinking the cheaper school is the best option. :)