2011 Ranking of DS Based on GPA/DAT/Other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the opening of the new cycle just around the corner,a here is some information prospective applicants may want to consider. There is no substitute for being informed and without question, the best information can be found in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2012.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=890217

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2011 Ranking of DS-GPA-DAT-Other SDN 726-12.xls
    67.5 KB · Views: 4,682
Last edited:
As always, thank you for putting this together doc toothache.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good work Doc. I suggest ALL applicants for the upcoming cycle to look at this spreadsheet or buy the ADEA guidebook.

This list is awesome. Thanks Doc Toothache. :thumbup:

There are some discrepancies between this list and pre dds dot net website. Can anyone confirm scores for Case, OHSU, and Creighton?

Can't thank you enough, Doc Toothache! Your info. is a big help!

Thanks for posting this! I was just wondering if you guys all ordered the book from the ADEA website. I'm trying to pre order it on Amazon but it says the title isnt released yet. Should i just order it from ADEA? I'm Canadian btw. It says the same thing on the American Amazon website as well. If i were to order it from the website it'll cost me around 70 bucks which includes shipping. what do u guys think?

Hey Doc, thanks for the awesome work!

A quick question: For the averages at the bottom of the page, it seems that you are including the "total" row in the average. For example, in cell C328, you divide by cell A326 instead of A325, no?

Once again, thanks for all the info!! :thumbup:

You sir are awesome. Thanks for such a great compilation of info.

In complete seriousness, the ADEA book is second most useful behind this spreadsheet.

Thanks for the hard work.

Members don't see this ad :)
A quick question: For the averages at the bottom of the page, it seems that you are including the "total" row in the average. For example, in cell C328, you divide by cell A326 instead of A325, no?

Cell C326 and F326 were modified.:thumbup:

There are some discrepancies between this list and pre dds dot net website. Can anyone confirm scores for Case, OHSU, and Creighton?

Mistakes are likely to happen whenever handling numbers, but you could be more specific as to which discrepancies you found.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! But now I'm even more confused about where to apply. There are over 20 schools whose average AA is over 20. Is there any reason for me not to target a dozen or more schools during the application process?

Wow! Harvard has ridonkulous stats for their class. In the past they were high, but the GPA is like top medical school high.

heh.. erm while Harvard students have the top stats, i'd say only go there if you want to specialize.

1) you'll come out missing some essential dentistry skills depending on your patient pool as they don't require a specific number of procedures to be completed before graduating.

2) if you're going for the name, it's not the same as going to harvard undergrad.

though i harvard dental's specialty programs are very top notch.

heh.. erm while Harvard students have the top stats, i'd say only go there if you want to specialize.

1) you'll come out missing some essential dentistry skills depending on your patient pool as they don't require a specific number of procedures to be completed before graduating.

2) if you're going for the name, it's not the same as going to harvard undergrad.

though i harvard dental's specialty programs are very top notch.

I don't think your first point is valid. They do have requirements, but they are just at the lower end. However, I would imagine that students can do as much or as little as they want. Also, all schools have to do the minimum of what is considered enough to be a competent dentist. Moreover, coming out of dental school, everyone is weak - you will learn more during your first few months out than you do during your years in dental school.

While most people would not care where you went, I would imagine that you could use the Harvard name to market yourself. I remember a dentist that marketed herself as have gone to an IVY school (Penn) and my coworkers went to her cause of that. However, I would imagine it could go either way.

But about those numbers...dayyyyaaaammm.

looks as if the GPA sci and GPA o are switched?

What is the composite and how is it calculated? Thanks, Doc!

What is the composite and how is it calculated? Thanks, Doc!

Arbitrary addition of AA, PAT, sci gpa and overall gpa.

looks as if the GPA sci and GPA o are switched?

Oops! So much for checking everything twice.The sci gpa is usually the lower of the two. The correction was made.

Wow! Harvard has ridonkulous stats for their class. In the past they were high, but the GPA is like top medical school high.

One wonders if UCLA/other ds would also have "ridonkulous" stats if the class size was reduced to 35?

Last edited:
Arbitrary addition of AA, PAT, sci gpa and overall gpa.

Oops! So much for checking everything twice.The sci gpa is usually the lower of the two. The correction was made.

One wonders if UCLA/other ds would also have "ridonkulous" stats if the class size was reduced to 35?

Wondered if you could mention what AA and PAT stands for!!? gpa is what you get at the end of the 4 years degree right?
uk applicant and trying to get my head around all these terms :cool:

Wondered if you could mention what AA and PAT stands for!!? gpa is what you get at the end of the 4 years degree right?
uk applicant and trying to get my head around all these terms :cool:

AA- Academic Average (combines bio, general chemistry, organic, quantitative reasoning and reading comprehension); PAT- Perceptual Ability Test; GPA- (calculated) grade point average usually on a scale of 0-4.

Bumping, very good thread, and the link in somethingpositiv's sticky hasn't been updated to this one, so it might as well be as visible as possible. :)

Thanks again for this doc, invaluable information, one I point people to constantly.

Thank you for this!
It's nice to be able to look at these statistics, and also just to see what types of things I should be looking at for admissions. The % enrolled in vs out of state is really helpful and not easy to find for every school.

Thanks so much! How do you calculate the composite?

thank you for putting these up! it's great! Now I know it's in the ADEA handbook and I'm being lazy, but is there any document out there that does the same only for tuition and scholarships?

Thanks in advance!

hey doc toothache do you have numbers for international students acceptance? Or does "out of state" include both international and out of the schools state (US states)?

Not to be a nitpicker/debby downer/nuisance, but I feel like the composite score isn't really all that telling. With the way it has been calculated, GPA rankings mean almost nothing. On a numerical scale that goes up to 50ish, the difference between a 3.5 and a 3.8 is almost negligible. But in reality, the difference between a 3.5 and a 3.8 is huge.

What if you did something along the lines of taking each individual section and dividing it by the highest score in that section, multiply by 100, and then add all of those numbers? And then divide that score by 4 to get a list of scores out of 100? Or am I stupid?

I guess I can always do that myself if I get bored. ha.

Last edited:
Not to be a nitpicker/debby downer/nuisance, but I feel like the composite score isn't really all that telling. With the way it has been calculated, GPA rankings mean almost nothing. On a numerical scale that goes up to 50ish, the difference between a 3.5 and a 3.8 is almost negligible. But in reality, the difference between a 3.5 and a 3.8 is huge.

What if you did something along the lines of taking each individual section and dividing it by the highest score in that section, multiply by 100, and then add all of those numbers? And then divide that score by 4 to get a list of scores out of 100? Or am I stupid?

I guess I can always do that myself if I get bored. ha.

:thumbup:

Doc Toothache could apply the UNLV or UTHSCSA formula.

The modified formula was not intended to be "telling" and it was strictly an arbitrary addition of the of the scores. The reason there is little difference between a 3.5 and 3.8, as you suggested, is simply because of the differences in the DAT and sci or overall gpa. The file was changed and it uses a modified UTSA formula. And since you appear to be having plenty of idle time you can figure that one out. You, of course, can up with your own version.

Of the 462 in state buffalo applicants, 35% were interviewed (~162 interviewed), and 22% of those interviewed (35 people) were accepted? Or is it saying 22% of all in state applicants are accepted? Thanks for the spreadsheet!

Of the 462 in state buffalo applicants, 35% were interviewed (~162 interviewed), and 22% of those interviewed (35 people) were accepted? Or is it saying 22% of all in state applicants are accepted? Thanks for the spreadsheet!

One hundred three in-state applicants were accepted.